11th Member?

10th Member

Han Daena is her name.

I'm glad that they allow her to be one of us. She was one of my closest friends when I was still a trainee in JYPe. Daena will always be the person I look for when I in JYPE building and have no schedule. She is a great friend.
Dahyun's broken leg is unfortunate and we need a replacement because our concert is coming. I recommended Daena to them and, just like that, everybody agreed with my suggestion. Even Daena is exciting about it! I don't worry about how she will keep up with our performance. She is a great dancer, I believe her. The problem is... No one excepts me, know her. She's new! Vice versa, Daena doesn't know anyone in Twice. Will she be okay for the next few weeks?

"You are surprisingly not taller than me!" Chaeyoung says to Daena when three of us are having a meal together. The later only smiles hearing that.
Hmm, let me tell you about Daena. At first, she's chosen because I think her height is not so much different with Dahyun. Apparently, Chaeyoung is taller than her. "Yes, I'm only 158 cm," Daena says. It's actually just one cm apart from Chaeyoung's height. I'm not even sure if it's exactly one centimeter. Maybe less, kekeke...
Daena is younger than me by a year. That means she is as old as Jeongyeon and Momo. Daena is older because, unlike them, she wasn't born at the end of the year of 1996.
She has really long and straight black hair. She really loves to straighten her hair. Sometimes she looks mysterious because of that, like a Cleopatra. Daena is also a quiet person. Actually, that was why I was comfortable to be with her in the first place. She is not intimidating.

These days, she focused to be the best dancer she can be. It's her strength. She said to me that she would be very happy if she debuted as the dance leader of a group. She is happy that I make her has a part in Twice concert. It boosts her motivation to be an idol. I know, at this age, she probably too old to debut. She has been thinking to quit the company and gets a job. At least for once, I wanna make her to experience the feeling to be on a stage. I really hope Once will welcome her.

"Chaeyoung-a, I'm really glad that you're so nice to Daena. It means a lot to me," I say in the middle of our conversation. 
"No problem. Daena is a good person anyway. Dahyun likes you as well," she answers.
"Thank you....." Daena says.
"Oh yeah, I'm glad Dahyun is okay with her replacement. She needs to teach you her part a lot," I tell Daena, "Jihyo is also very welcoming, right? (Daena nods) As expected, from our leader."
"Yes, she is nice....."
"I think you will get close with the members soon. Everyone is nice. It's okay, I was also a shy person when I first joined Twice," Chaeyoung says.
"Me too. Ohh, it was hard for me tho. It's okay, Daena, unlike me, you're not alone! There are me and Chaeyoung here. We will help you," I add.
"I'm kind of a shy person..." she says.
"Mhm, we can see that."
"You can ask me for a help or anything, especially related to the members. I know them all," Chaeyoung says.
"True. I think you're so easy-going, although you like to be alone sometimes. Anyway, don't worry about anything. Okay, Daena?"
"Okay....."

***

It's been a while since I go to a cinema.

I wanna invite the other members but Daena wants it only two of us. There are things that she wants to tell me, she said. Right now, we are waiting for the studio to open. We laugh freely because no one recognizes me as Twice's Haeju. Honestly, it's okay too this way. Maybe Daena will be more pressured if there are fans around us.

"I can't stand Jeongyeon's aggressiveness," she says, "It's too much for me. I know she is a sunbae but... I don't know, Haeju, she makes me feel bad about myself."
"Quietly, I saw it when she talked to you during the practice. I guess Jeongyeon can be somewhat intimidating. She just wants the best result for all of us."
"She didn't have to be that mean to me. I didn't feel comfortable with her."
"I see..."
"I will avoid her for now. Less interaction is better," she says.
"Alright! Don't push yourself," I support.
"By the way, how about the other members?" I ask. "They're nice, aren't they?"
"All of them are, actually. Even Jeongyeon. I just don't think two of us are fit together... Err, Nayeon Unnie is really kind. She's kinda weird, but I've heard that from other people so I'm not surprised."
"Hahaha... Really? What do people say about Nayeon???"
"She is clingy and loud. I think Nayeon Unnie is just an easy going person. She is a really nice unnie."
"I'm also a nice unnie, right? Hehe..." I shove her elbow.
"Of course, you are nice....."
"Hehe, okay...!"

I see our manager is walking toward us. "Haeju, it's time to come in!" she says.
"Ah, okay..." I pick my popcorn and hold Daena's hand before walking into the studio. "Oh my God, I forget that we are going to watch a horror movie."
"You're not scared, are you?" she asks.
"Nah, you know me. Nothing scares me," I say, "Wait, are you???"
"I... I'm fine..."
"Okay then!"
When the first trailer starts, Daena holds my hand tightly. I guess she's not really fine with horror movies, haha... So cute.

***

"I wanna give you this," I say while giving her a piece a paper.
"What is this?"
"It's a lucky charm. I make it special for you. Bring it to the concert. Just... Hide it somewhere on your outfit," I tell her.
"Wow, you make this kind of thing now?"
"Don't tell anybody, okay?"
"Sure thing. What is this lucky charm for tho?" she asks.
"It's for confidence, basically. But it's also to bring good fortune for you that day. I've designed it that it only works on the days."
"Thanks, Ju!"
"No problem," I 'm happy that she's happy to receive it.

By the way, Daena hasn't told me this but I can feel something wrong with her.
There's something when she looks at Sana from afar. Daena doesn't usually talk a lot but around Sana, she's 100 times more quiet than usual. Sometimes we just cannot hear what she says. Just like how Mina talks, but she is like that only around Sana. Somehow, Daena cannot express anything properly. I don't notice it right away but, well, I guess we know when our best friend is falling in love with someone, right?

"How can be someone like that still exists in this world?" she asks me when we're talking about it. I look at Sana from afar. As usual, she has a lot of energy to talk and to play with the other members. "Are Saida dating?" Daena asks me again.
"I don't think so. Why?"
"They look so close together. Like... There must be something."
"Well... Sana loves skinship so much. She is like that towards everyone. It's just... Dahyun can take it the most compared with the other members," I tell her.
"Haeju-ya..."
"Yes?"
"Dd... Do you want to go to the toilet? I mean, accompany me, please!"
"Sure!"
"Sana... I mean, there's something I want to tell you," she says.
"About Sana?" I ask. She doesn't answer me until we reach the toilet and he makes sure no one can hear us.

"She is different with anyone that I've ever met, Ju. At first, she was just a weird girl who behaves weirdly and was so loud. She was nice to me, but it was when she smiled at me... That moment I knew that she was something else. Sana is the one, Ju!" Daena takes my hands and looks at me in the eyes. "I... I think I like her."
I smile hearing that.
Inside my heart, I ask myself a question. 

Why does everyone have a crush on Sana? Why you too, My new friend?

***

"Haeju-ya!" Daena and I are in the living room when Momo calls my name. She looks so happy.
"Yesss?"
"You know this, right?" she asks me while making a circle with both of her hands.
"Uhh, sorry I don't get it, Dear," I tell her honestly.
"This one... This one... You get it, don't you?" she keeps asking me.
"Ice cream?" I try to guess.
"Hooo... Yeah, it can be an ice cream? You know this thing, right, Daena-ssi?" 
"Tell us properly, already!" she answers.
Momo is kinda shocked to be yelled like that. She laughs awkwardly. "No, this... This is actually a joke. I used to do this gesture so much while explaining something. I describe everything like 'this'. Once noticed it and it became a joke for a while," Momo looks at Daena's face after telling us that, "It... It's an old joke."
"Aaah, I get it! Hahaha..." I say.
"I don't," Daena says before Momo explains it back to her. "That's so dumb," she says in the end before looking back at her phone. I guess Daena is in a really bad mood right now.
"Sorry..." I see Momo's eyes are teary before, finally, she left us to her bedroom. Aww, poor her. I'm planning to tell Daena that she shouldn't tell Momo dumb in a serious way because it will hurt her heart.

But maybe now is not the right time......

***

Daena is a quiet girl.

She doesn't talk much. She is not an active person. She works hard for our concert, but until the end, she isn't that close to us. She does her best for Twice's concert. But that's just it. That concert is her last moment with us. Daena doesn't become the 11th member or anything. She even says that she probably will quit JYPe after this. The experience to be on stage makes it easier to let her dream goes away. It's the end of her story. 

"...Just like that," I tell Chaeyoung what I feel after Daena left.
Tears are starting to come out of my eyes. "I mean... If we see the big picture, I think her story with Twice is so much boring. She doesn't finish her problem with Jeongyeon. She never confronts her. It doesn't end well...
With Sana too, Daena did nothing to approach her. Sana remained as a crush she never interacted with. It's so sad, Chaeyoung-a! It's not a happy ending, ottokke....."

Chaeyoung hugs and lets me cry on her shoulder. "Maybe not everyone gets a happy ending. She performed with us tho. She must be happy about it."
"I hope so..."

"That makes me thinking," Chaeyoung continues, "I'm proud of you, Unnie. You stay with us until the end. You've gone through a lot of things and you survive! It's something you can be proud of about yourself."
"You think so?"
"Looking back to when you first joined until today... Maybe if it's not you, Twice won't have a 10th member after all. It has to be you!"
My tears fall faster hearing her says that. I hug her tightly. "Thank you, Chaeyoung-a! But I can't do it without the help of the other members. Without you too. Th... Thank youuu........!"
"Nae, Unnie," Chaeyoung says.

Alright, enough crying. It's time to leave and come back home safely~

 

 

 

 

 

 


(a/n) Daena = Dance the Night Away? :))