Chapter 26

Sweet Serenity (A Mark Tuan/GOT7 Fanfic)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Song for the chapter: Gravity by Sara Bareilles
——————————————
I excused myself from the crowd as I went to the washroom. I’m so ecstatic as it’s amazing seeing Mark with his family and how tight knit and close they are even when Mark is away all the time. I’m an only child and it has been just u me and my parents but being surrounded by Mark’s huge family is indescribable. They are more than what I imagined a huge family is. I was about to enter the washroom when I heard someone mentioned my name.

“She is such a goody two shoes. Didn’t you see her up too much to Mark’s family?” A familiar voice said which was followed by another one.

I let out a gasp as my back stiffen and I am frozen in place. 

“You saw that too? I heard from Tammy that she gifted them these luxury bags. You think she bribed her way into dating Mark? I think her family owns a motel or something.” 

No. I thought as I felt my body felt cold and clammy as buried insecurities start to break out of the surface. 

“OMG, that is so pathetic. I bet you they will not last. Mark will eventually get tire of her.” The former one said as they broke out into laughter.

I let out a gasp as I fisted my shirt where my heart is as I try to ease the pain. I jumped when I felt a hand on my shoulder followed by Mark’s voice. I cannot face him. I feel humiliated and ashamed knowing that he too heard it. I ran out of the restaurant trying to get away from the situation. Mark catching up to me only made things worse as the darkest of thoughts surfaced above. I know those girls must be Mark’s friends. It’s the only way they could’ve known that I gave his family gifts. I didn’t mean to but I inevitably lashed out to Mark.

I breakdown as soon as I closed the window leaving Mark behind. What they said only emphasized the things that I struggle with. As soon as we got together, all I ever gave Mark are heartache and heartbreak forcing him to deal with my problems. 

One vivid memory stood out when I was 16. One day, my dad had a visitor. Unintentionally, I overheard his conversation with his friend.

“How is Anna doing Rick?” His friend asked as they drink whiskey in the den.

“She’s doing great. I think the foundation was a good move as she comes out of her shell more and more each day. I just, we just sometimes feel frustrated not knowing what else we can do more.” I covered my mouth with my hand muffling my gasp.

“What about the hotel? You know she’s sixteen now. It’s high time to start training her if you want her to secure her position in the company. Everyone knows that she’s not your biological daughter and those punks in your company will surely take advantage of that.” 

“Watch your mouth Bernie. I would be willing to give up the company if it means that Anna will be better.” I had enough and I ran away and hid in my room where I spent the entire night thinking about their conversation.

That night, I made the decision to do everything in my power to be the daughter that my dad needs me to be. That is the reason why the very next day, I asked my dad to train me. I did my very best to exceed the expectations of the people around me trying to prove that I may not be Richard Dawson’s biological daughter, but I am the daughter that he raised. I will not let anyone to take away my parents’ hard work, even if it means sacrificing my dreams.

When my time had started to eaten up by my days at the hotel, classmates and friends started whispering behind my back. I became the boring teacher’s pet goody two shoes trying to embarrass everyone. What they didn’t realized was that I was only doing it so as no one can question my credentials and qualifications when the time comes.

College was no different as well. When it was revealed that I am the daughter of a hotelier, any success and any achievement that I had were all reduced to somehow me getting help from my father.

I shake my head trying to clear it as I grabbed my phone and dialed Miranda. I asked her to load my stuff in the car and get me a flight out to New York. I was barely keeping it in while talking to her and at one point I had to stop as she asked whether she needs to load Mark’s stuff as well.

Everything was ready as soon as I arrived at the hotel and there is only one thing I needed to do. I asked them for a pen and paper as I write a note to Mark. Taking a deep breath, I folded the paper and looked at Miranda as I handed her the note.

“Just give this to him when he comes looking for me. I…” I stopped as I bit my lip trying to stop my self from crying.

“You don’t have to say anything, Anna. I just… whatever it is, I know you can push through. A rented jet is waiting for you at the tarmac.” Miranda said with kindness and sympathy.

“Thank you.” I whispered as I give her a sad smile.

“Ready to leave, Ms. Kim?” The driver asked after I entered the car. How can I say that I’m not? That all I want is Mark but I know I can’t. Deep breath.

“Yes. Thank you.” I said despite my hesitations. The driver is kind enough to put out the partition letting me cry in privacy. In the middle of crying, I remembered a conversation that Mark

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter