eight

She's on Duty

 

*flashback*

 

“Joonie!”

 

Seokjin’s loud voice drew a few annoyed gazes from the others surrounding Namjoon. He hastily stood up and bowed an apology towards them. Once Seokjin arrived at his table, the younger swatted at the elder’s arm.

 

“Hyung!” he whispered. “You can’t be loud in the library! Keep your voice down!”

 

The elder sheepishly smiled, scratching the back of his neck. And Namjoon couldn’t help but to smile back at him. Seokjin started to take out his own books and did his homework, but not without harassing Namjoon from time to time.

 

Seokjin was 18, Namjoon was a year younger than him. Both of them were in their third year, because Namjoon was a genius he skipped a grade in middle school. The younger was the top student of their year, while Seokjin was the student body’s president.

 

They were always together, always attached to the hip. The students looked up to them, even made them their role model. Their contrasting personalities completed each other. They were the best of friends.

 

But to each other, they were way more than that.

 

It was at the end of their sophomore year when Namjoon bravely confessed to Seokjin that he liked the other. What he didn’t know was Seokjin had the same eyes as he did.

 

Of course they didn’t need anyone else to find out. These kinds of relationships weren’t received or viewed well by the society. But that didn’t stop them from secretly holding hands, spending almost all of their time together, seeing that they were in different classes.

 

“Joonie-yah.” The said male hummed in response. “There’s a new ddukbokki shop just opened. Let’s try it on our way home.”

 

Namjoon nodded. He was always following whatever his hyung wanted. Namjoon was the type to plan his actions thoroughly, while Seokjin always followed his heart first. The younger found it difficult to understand the other at first, but once he got to know him, he fell deep.

 

It was their routine every day to take the bus home together as they lived nearby. Namjoon often went to his Seokjin’s house, but not vice versa. The elder only went there once, and scared out of his wits with the younger’s scary father.

 

 

 

 

 

After school ended, both of them walked towards the bus stop with Soekjin talking animatedly while the other just listened with a fond smile on his face. But that smile soon disappeared while they were waiting for their bus.

 

There was a girl sitting on the bench, wearing a uniform that Seokjin recognized belonged to the one of the prestigious girls’ school in the neighbourhood. He saw her stealing glances at them, particularly at his boyfriend. But he ignored it. It’s not uncommon for them to have fangirls from other schools.

 

The bus arrived and Soekjin stepped in first and paid for his fee. He turned around when he heard Namjoon called for him. The taller one was off the bus.

 

“Hyung, I think I forgot one of my books in class. Why don’t you go first?”

 

Seokjin pouted. “Awh, come on, Joonie! You could come early tomorrow and do it at school!”

 

“”No, hyung. I really need this book. I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?”

 

Seokjin didn’t get to say anything as the bus door already closed. Namjoon was never a good liar. Seokjin could tell from his face; there were beads of sweat forming above his top lip, his fingers were dancing at the hem of his shirt.

 

What shocked him the most was that the last thing he saw before the bus drove away was Namjoon sitting at the bus stop bench beside the girl.

 

 

 

 

 

At lunch the next day, Namjoon was not at their usual spot by the bench near the gym so Seokjin went to his class, just to find him staring off the walls. The class was empty except him. Namjoon was still holding his pen, apparently didn’t realize the class was long over.

 

“Joonie.”

 

No response. He called again but something seemed to be cutting the younger from his surroundings.

 

“Namjoon.”

 

The said male was startled by the hand on his shoulder. He jerked away, startling the elder too.

 

“Oh, hyung. What are you doing here?”

 

“Joonie, it’s lunch time.”

 

He then looked around to notice his responsiveness towards his class today. He smiled sheepishly at the other when they walked towards the cafeteria to get some food.

 

It was until they arrived and settled with their sandwiches that Seokjin finally addressed his concerns.

 

“Joonie-yah, did you get your book from yesterday?”

 

It was visible to him that the younger stopped munching and he frowned. The other just nodded and Seokjin decided that something was wrong. Namjoon always tell him everything; even the fact that he liked to watch Victoria Secret’s runway shows.

 

 

 

 

 

The fact that Namjoon was hiding something was getting clearer and clearer as the days passed. It was even clearer on one particular day on the bus back home. Namjoon was fidgeting the whole day. Several stops before their neighbourhood, he pressed the button indicating he wanted to get off on the next stop.

 

“Hyung, there’s something I need to buy from the shop in town. You go back first, okay.”

 

“Oh, it’s okay. I can come with you. It’s been a while since I walk around.”

 

Seokjin’s enthusiastic smile was thrown off by Namjoon’s nervous expression.

 

“Seokjin hyung, it’s okay. That thing is heavy, and it may take some time. You should go and rest at home. See you!”

 

Again, Seokjin didn’t have enough time to stop the other from getting off the bus. He watched Namjoon waved him off as the bus drove away. As he saw him turned and walked away, Seokjin quickly pressed the button, apologized to the bus driver and hastily went after Namjoon without the other knowing.

 

 

 

 

 

Seokjin didn’t know, either he was being stealthy or Namjoon was so dense of his surroundings. The elder even bumped into a few people while following and others were cursing loudly at him. But thankfully Namjoon didn’t realize that he was being followed.

 

He quickly hid behind a tree when he saw Namjoon sat down on a bench at a park. He was alone but he kept looking around, probably waiting for someone, or not wanting to be seen by anyone.

 

Seokjin’s breath came to a halt when he saw a girl approaching the younger male and sat beside him. She handed him a cup of coffee which he took it gratefully and playfully ruffled her hair. Seokjin frowned. Who is she?

 

“You know, it’s not the best time to drink coffee right now.” Namjoon said after taking a sip of it.

 

“Yet you drank it.”

 

She chuckled, causing him to smile fondly at her. Seokjin squinted his eye at the two talking. Then he recognized her as the girl form the bus stop yesterday. She looked friendly. Too friendly in Seokjin’s eyes that they started twitching.

 

“But…what you’re gonna do about it?”

 

Seokjin’s interest peaked when he heard the tone change in Namjoon’s voice. He heard the girl sigh. She just shook her head.

 

“Maybe you should just tell him.” Namjoon spoke again.

 

“Are you insane?!” She looked at him with wide eyes. “Oh hey, Dad. Your 18 year-old daughter here is pregnant with her boyfriend’s son.”

 

“He may be soft-hearted at times, you know.”

 

“No! You’re not going to tell him about this, you hear me? Nobody should know about this.” She sighed. “He’ll kill me, Joonie. Wait…he’ll kill you too.”

 

They chuckled sadly and fell into a deafening silence. From behind the tree, Seokjin almost fell when all energy in his legs left him the second he heard about the girl being pregnant. He felt terribly jealous too, when he heard she called him Joonie.

 

That’s MY nickname for him!

 

Out of rage, Seokjin almost went out and wanted to bust them like I-caught-you-in-the-act but he stopped himself after he saw Namjoon half-hugging her from the side.

 

“Hey, don’t cry.”

 

The girl wiped her tears with her sleeves. “How can I not? I’m confused, Joonie. I’m too young to have a baby. But…but…”

 

“Things will get better. Just think thoroughly before you make any decision. I’ll support you, okay?”

 

She looked up at him from her sleeves.

 

“You’d do that?” she asked, almost whispering.

 

“Of course! Who do you think I am? I’m not some half- guy who is going to leave a girl alone. A pregnant one at that.”

 

She laughed through her tears. “I ing love you, Joonie you lil-.”

 

Namjoon kept rubbing her arms in attempt to calm her down.

 

“You’ll get through this. We’ll get through this together.”

 

Seokjin couldn’t take it anymore. He needed to get out of there. The air is suddenly suffocating him to the point that he was hyperventilating. He stumbled back but managed not to fall. However he stepped on a few twigs, breaking them.

 

Alarmed by the cracking sound, Namjoon quickly turned and saw the one thing he wished he didn’t; Seokjin’s teary eyes.  He slowly stood up, followed by the girl and turned to face the elder boy fully.

 

Seokjin didn’t know what he should do, or what he wanted to do. After it seemed like forever exchanging awkward glances between the three, Seokjin finally decided to it and spoke his mind out.

 

“So this is the thing that kept you these days? You got a girl pregnant?!!”

 

Seokjin’s words felt like a thousand arrows piercing his heart. Namjoon gulped. He tried to call out to him but it only came out as a whisper.

 

“Seokjin hyung.”

 

“You cheated on me.”

 

Namjoon physically froze. He clenched and unclenched his fist, torn between what he wanted, or what he should do. A look of realization was flashed on the girl’s face and he looked back and forth between Namjoon and Seokjin.

 

“Seokjin-ssi, wait – ”

 

She didn’t get to finish her words as Namjoon suddenly grabbed her wrist, squeezing it so hard to stop her from talking. He whispered something to her, too low for Seokjin to hear.

 

“Nobody should know about this.”

 

Namjoon looked at the other guy present, the love of his life. He had this somewhat-determined expression on his face. His eyes hardened, and he was determined at what he was going to do.

 

“Hyung.” He called out slowly. “I believe you won’t tell anyone about, yes?”

 

Seokjin scoffed. “That’s what you’re worried about??? I thought…I thought you love me.”

 

When a tear finally escaped Seokjin’s eyes, Namjoon clenched his jaw hardly. The girl had a pained expression. Seokjin scoffed again but only in his mind.

 

Why in the world is this girl frowning? Feeling scared now that she was caught? Huh?

 

“I need to be responsible, hyung. I’m sorry.”

 

Seokjin couldn’t handle all of his bursting emotions and ran away from there. His tears won’t stop falling. As he turned around one last time, he saw the girl hugging Namjoon, which made his heart broke into even more smaller pieces.

 

 

 

 

 

*end of flashback*

 

It was a lot to take in by the twins. Seokjin was still sniffing, he was crying when he told the story. The ice-cream tub was only left with half of the contents. Yoona kept rubbing his uncle’s back soothingly, Seokjin was thankful for that gesture.

 

“When all of this ends…you have to talk to him, Uncle Seokjin. You guys didn’t have an ending.”

 

Yoona’s words made sense. He wanted to, Seokjin really did. But he didn’t know how. Yoongi who was quiet all night suddenly rested his head on Seokjin’s broad shoulder. He caressed his arm, showing support. The male twin was never good at showing voicing out his emotions, but the thought that counts, and that made Seokjin smile.

 

“Thank you, guys. I…I haven’t told anyone about this. So…thanks.”

 

The siblings grinned happily at their one and only family. Seokjin’s heart felt warm seeing their gummy smiles. After a while talking, they finally got a look at the time.

 

“Oh my god! Guys! You need to hurry back! You have school tomorrow.”

 

With that, the two groaned.

 

“Uncle, please. Don’t remind me. I hate school!”

 

“But you love your Taehyung.” Yoongi wiggled his eyebrows annoyingly.

 

“And you love your Jimin.”

 

Yoongi’s face went red and he tried to counter attack her sentence but only managed to stutter cutely. In the end he only stared at his sister, mentally killing her a few times in his head.

 

 

 

 

 

“Okay, off you go. You sure you don’t want me to drop you any nearer?”

 

The twins hop off Seokjin’s car and closed the door.

 

“No need. Besides, what if our cover’s blown if anybody sees you? Duh…”

 

Yoona’s sassy reply made Yoongi and Seokjin laughed loudly. They will never be tired of her antiques. They waved him goodbye, playfully waved each other too, before going back to their own apartments.

 

 

Little that they know, someone was somewhere behind one of those lamp posts, watching their interaction.

 

 

 

 

 

Jimin kept yawning for the umpteenth time that night. He was walking alone from dance practice. Jungkook had to stayback to work with Hoseok on their new dance routine while Jimin was too tired to stay and just wanted to go back, have a nice shower and dive into his blankets.

 

He kept dozing off while walking. He may have slapped himself a few times just to keep awake for the walk back home. But what happened next was too sudden, and he couldn’t fight back, not with his current sleepy state.

 

Someone had grabbed him harshly from behind; one hand wrapped around his tiny figure and another was holding a cloth over his mouth. He was struggling to breathe, and when he did, he felt funny and panic rose inside him. He tried to break free but his energy was failing him.

 

Jimin fainted.

 

 

 

 


things are getting interesting, no? all hail namjin <3<3<3