five

She's on Duty

Taehyung and Yoona were walking towards the cafeteria, but in a very slow pace. She didn’t talk, and Taehyung was afraid to break the silence.

 

“You have a great voice, Taehyung.”

 

He was quite startled by the sudden compliment, and muttered a soft thank you to her. It was quiet again, until she spoke again.

 

“I’m sorry I freaked out yesterday. I’m normally not like that, you know.”

 

She awkwardly laughed and he joined her. She told him that the song she sang yesterday was her mom’s favourite. And how she got teary-eyed.

 

“And the one that you sang, was my dad’s favourite song.”

 

Taehyung was genuinely surprised by the coincidence. His mouth formed an ‘o’ shape while he nodded.

 

“I heard about what happened to your mom from Halla. I’m sorry.”

 

She hummed at his statement. “Did Halla talk about my dad?”

 

He looked down at her and shook his head. She breathed in and out, slowly.

 

“He died too.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Dad! It’s not fair!”

 

Yoona’s dad sighed for the nth time that evening. Smirking Yoongi beside him was not helping either.

 

“You heard dad. You can’t go, and that’s final.”

 

Yoona turned to her dad, whined a little more. “But all my friends are going. Why can’t I?”

 

“Look, Yoona.” He squeezed her shoulder in affection. “I know you want to go to that party, but you’re my 16 year old little girl and I’m worried if anything happens to you. Yoongi’s a guy, so…”

 

“Wow, honey. Way to become a ist. Way to go.”

 

His wife just walked out from the kitchen with a tray of 3 mugs of hot chocolate and set them on the coffee table in the middle of the room. She then sat down beside Yoona and hugged her.

 

She said that in her playful tone, just to lighten up the mood. It’s true that they were twins, but Yoongi had always been the more mature one, the one that could think fast and had more common sense between the two.

 

While Yoona is more of a ‘act-first-then-think’ kind of person. Which is actually why her mother silently agreed to not letting her go the party their friend was throwing, although it was just a few blocks away.

 

A few honks coming from in front of their house had Yoongi bolted up in excitement. He waved goodbye to his parents but didn’t forget to ruffle Yoona’s hair slightly, riling her up. As soon as he was out of the door, Yoona pouted.

 

“Aww, don’t be like that. We’ll have a party on our own, yeah?”

 

Although the party suggested by her dad was far from the one that she was dreaded to go, Yoona was happy nonetheless. They blasted music off so loud, Yoona was kind of afraid their neighbours will start calling the police.

 

‘But I am the police!’ was what her dad said, and that sent the three of them in a laughing fit. They started playing games, eating junk food (her mom was not cooking, they ordered take-outs), and they even karaoke-d. And it was always down to the two old songs.

 

“You guys always sing these two songs. Isn’t there other songs?”

 

Yoona was tired from all the singing and dancing she did so she sat down, watching her parents sang their hearts out. Her parents shared a loving look between each other.

 

“These two songs…is our song, okay?”

 

Her mum nodded to her husband’s statement. They said that it brought memories to them. They were almost not married, but somehow, the songs brought them back together, and here they were.

 

“So every time you guys heard these songs…think of us.”

 

“I think I’ll throw up whenever I’ll hear these songs.”

 

They made kissy faces at each other while she rolled her eyes. Yoona’s parents had always been a cheesy couple. Even though they had a pair of 16 year old kids, they never failed to show love to each other.

 

They went through the night, talking, and laughing. Her parents wanted to watch a movie but Yoona excused herself first to sleep and told them to continue without her.

 

She closed her room door and plopped down on her bed. She was not that sleepy, to be honest. She guessed that she was a bit salty with not being able to go to the party.

 

Don’t get her wrong, she had fun with her parents, but she wished that she could go and have fun with her friends.

 

And the fact that Yoongi got to go and she doesn’t put more salt to her barely open wound.

 

 

Thump!

 

 

Yoona looked up from her book. She glanced at the clock which showed 15 minutes after midnight. She wondered about the sound and decided to dismiss it but she heard it the second time and suddenly she felt nervous.

 

The movie her parents were watching was supposed to end at around 1 so maybe her parents were doing something downstairs. A sudden scream was heard and even from her room she could hear the furnitures were being moved…violently.

 

What movie are they watching? But Yoona felt scared. Different kind of scared. She grabbed her phone on her nightstand and called her brother with trembling hands. He didn’t pick up on the first few rings, and she could hear the noises downstairs being louder.

 

“Hello?”

 

“God dammit what took you so long?!”

 

“What the hell do you want? I’m not supposed to be back in an hour!”

 

She groaned. She could hear the background music being so loud and wondered how he could hear her. She was panicking all over.

 

“Listen, Yoongs. Can you come home now? I heard something downstairs, and some screaming too.”

 

After a few seconds of silence, she thought Yoongi hung up on her, if not for the blaring music in the background. Then, she heard him laugh.

 

“Dude, lying won’t get me home sooner, you know.”

 

“What?! You , this is not about – ”

 

A loud grunt was heard, along with something breaking. Sounded like the glass coffee table they had in the living room.

 

“What was that? Yoona?”

 

Yoongi was long forgotten. Yoona paled. She felt like she stopped breathing. As if her feet moved by themselves, she went outside her room and descend the stairs slowly.

 

“Mom?! Dad?!”

 

There was no answer. The tv was still showing the movie but the living room was a mess. Yoona dropped the phone she didn’t realize she was holding the whole time.

 

Her eyes widened at the scene. She couldn’t move, her feet was stuck on the floor. There was blood everywhere; on the floor, on the sofa, some even splattered on the tv screen, and some on her mom and dad.

 

Her mom was lying on the floor sideways, with blood pooling around her stomach. She was not breathing. Not even her chest was moving. She trailed her gaze to her dad.

 

He was lying on the table, or whatever left of it. A knife was rooted on his chest, and he was clutching his stomach. He was barely breathing. He opened his mouth to say something, but Yoona felt the hit on the back of her head first.

 

She felt on the floor, grunting in pain. Someone was sitting on her stomach, and she couldn’t move no matter how hard she was trashing around.

 

A pair of hands found their way to her neck and began squeezing. She choked. All energy left her body. Maybe her soul was leaving, too.

 

She tried to look at her dad, but he was no longer moving. He was still, as still as a…dead body. White spots entered Yoona’s vision and she closed her eyes, finally letting go…

 

A sudden rush of air filled her lungs. She coughed. Tears pricked her eyes as she inhaled. She turned to her side gasping for air. She could hear two different voices, grunting in a fight, cursing one another.

 

She couldn’t focus her vision. The room was still spinning to her. When she felt someone touching her, she used all her strength to push those hands away, but those hands caught hers.

 

“Hey, hey, it’s me! It’s Yoongi. I’m Yoongi.”

 

Yoona gasped for air, chest still heaving but she visibly relaxed.

 

“Y…yoo-yoong-”

 

“Yeah, yeah, it’s me. Shhh…I’m sorry I’m late. I’m here now. I’m sorry. I’m sorry.”

 

Trembled hands found their way to Yoongi’s shirt and she clutched them hard in her hands, almost tearing them in process. She shut her eyes tightly, not stopping the sobs coming out of .

 

Yoongi hugged her and his hands were placed protectively around her. Police sirens were heard, along with Yoongi’s countless I’m sorry-s.

 

 

 

 

 

Taehyung tried to fit in the story he just heard into his head. He subtly glanced to Yoona at his side. She was biting her lower lip, obviously nervous about something.

 

The truth was, she was nervous. Nervous about how Taehyung would react to all of this. She knew that she didn’t have to explain herself to this high school kid, but somehow, being on Taehyung’s good side was important to her.

 

He was important to her. Well, kind of. Wait, what? Yoona, he’s a kid! Get yourself together!

 

“Okay, look.” She sighed. “It’s okay if you want to stop talking to me. I know it’s a lot to take in, and you don’t have to take it at all. Being friends to a girl with a lot of emotional baggage is hard, I know.”

 

Yoona knew she was blabbering nonsense, but she couldn’t stop talking. Might as well talk it all out.

 

“I just…didn’t want any misunderstanding. I just have the need to explain myself. Your singing is too great that it goes straight into my feels. Both the song and your voice.”

 

She wanted to talk again but stopped when she felt Taehyung bumped his shoulder with hers.

 

“Hey, everyone had their past, okay? That doesn’t mean I’m gonna stop being friends with you. What kind of douche do you think I am?”

 

He chuckled and she smiled. Yoona didn’t know why Taehyung had touched her heart so much. They decided to have lunch together but she told him to go first as she wanted to go to the bathroom.

 

As she went out, face brighter than ever, her gaze was met with Yoongi. He had actually been following the two the whole talk. He was ready to beat the out of Taehyung if he hurt her in any way.

 

“So I assume the talk went well?”

 

She nodded. Just as she was thankful that Yoongi was always by her side during tough times, he liked to strike every nerve inside her whenever he talked.

 

“Telling our parents’ story to a total stranger, a high school kid at that. I wonder why do you like him so much?”

 

Yoona blushed madly and ignore him to line up to take her lunch with her tray with Yoongi tailing right behind her. He was pestering her with greasy faces, teasing her about Taehyung. But deep down inside, she was happy that a burden was lifted off her shoulders, and Yoongi’s stupid gummy smile was there to keep her sane.

 

Jimin watched Yoongi and Yoona from their table. How Yoongi would always smile with his gums showing whenever he was with her. Jimin also realized that Yoongi looked at her differently, even when he was teasing her to no end.

 

“Hoseok hyung.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Yoongi hyung and Yoona are always close huh?”

 

The said male hummed. “Of course! They are inseperable! It’s sometimes annoying to see that they’re always attached to the hip.” He laughed. He looked at Jimin and followed his gaze to the siblings that were bickering at the lunch line.

 

He looked back at the younger. Jimin’s face fell; he looked sad and kept toying with his food, not eating any of it. All of a sudden, Hoseok barked out a laugh.

 

“Oh my god, Jimin! You couldn’t possibly…oh my…”

 

Hoseok couldn’t stop laughing. He laughed so hard that his stomach hurt, even when Yoona sat beside Taehyung and Yoongi next to Jimin, tears of laughter escaped his eyes.

 

“Why? What’s wrong? Why is he laughing so much?”

 

Jungkook and Taehyung just shrugged to Yoongi’s question. But the two had an idea about it, and they were trying their best not to laugh too.

 

“Jimin…h-he…” Hoseok was still laughing between his words. “He thought you and Yoona are dating!”

 

Yoona immediately choked on her soup, luckily Taehyung was fast enough to pat her on the back and offer her some tissues. Yoongi frowned at first but laughed right after.

 

“Jimin-ah.”

 

Jimin froze a little when Yoongi put his right hand around the younger’s shoulders.

 

“Who is she?” he asked while pointing to Yoona.

 

“Uh…Yoona? My classmate?” Jimin felt weird by the question.

 

“What’s her full name?”

 

Jimin glanced at her nametag. Min Yoon A. He read the name out loud.

 

“Okay. Now what’s my name?”

 

Jimin was more confused than before. “Yoongi?”

 

“My full name.”

 

He then realized that he didn’t know his full name. Hoseok just introduced him as Yoongi. He looked in front to his friends but all of them were trying their best not to laugh at him.

 

“Uh…Yoongi…hyung?”

 

He heard them chuckled, but Jimin couldn’t care less. Especially when Yoongi hummed near to his ear. Yoongi then tapped his own nametag, in order for Jimin to see it.

 

Min Yoon Gi.

 

It took Jimin a while to process the name. When his eyes widened as big as they allow him to be, the table exploded with laughter. A few tables around them turned to give weird glances, but they didn’t mind it a bit.

 

Jimin pulled away from Yoongi a bit to look into his hyung’s eyes. He was smiling his gummy smile, and Jimin thought that it was the most perfect picture ever.

 

“We’re siblings, you idiot.”