four

She's on Duty

As soon as the teacher walked out, Yoona planted her face on the table, thumping her head in the process. She grunted in frustration while her two friends laughed at her.

 

“I hate Science.” She mumbled.

 

Taehyung nodded. “Yeah, me too.”

 

“But it’s fun, though.”

 

The other two looked at Jimin as if he said something that offended them.

 

“This is an art school! ‘Humans can survive with their stomach completely removed’. Where am I supposed to use that knowledge in my performance?”

 

Taehyung made them all laugh by singing incoherently about intestines. Then Jimin remembered something.

 

“Hey, the club activities are starting today. What club are you in, Yoona?”

 

“Club?”

 

“Ah, right…you just enrolled. Here in SOPA we have several clubs, like singing, dancing, acting, composing, and others. You could join more than one, but it’s tiring though.”

 

Clubs, huh?

 

 

 

 

 

The day passed quickly and school ended in a blink. Yoona followed Taehyung and Jimin to the other building in the school; the performance building. She remembered it from the school tour they gave her, but never had a reason to come here before.

 

Jimin told her that he was in the dancing club, while Taehyung was in the singing club. He used to sing too but later changed clubs. He figured that dancing was more of his passion. They were going to show Yoona all the clubs, to see which one that she was interested in.

 

They went into one of the rooms on the second floor. It was spacious; two of the walls had ceiling-to-floor mirrors, had a few chairs and tables, it even had a piano. This is a goddamn rich school, Yoona thought.

 

There were already several students in the room. Yoona saw a few familiar faces. Too familiar.

 

There were a few female students in a corner, she saw Halla waving at her. Then there were Hoseok and Jungkook discussing in front of the mirror, while Yoongi was lounging on the sofa, tapping away on his phone.

 

“Hoseok hyung! Jungkook! Why are you here?”

 

The two boys rushed to their friends while Yoona just stood there, fidgeting. Luckily her awkward moment didn’t last long as Halla dragged her to her group of friends. The room was singing club’s practice room, which explained why Jimin was surprised seeing his friends.

 

Halla’s friends were also her teammates in the dancing team. Halla was the youngest in the team; Yoona even recognised one of them as her classmate. She turned when Jimin called out to her.

 

“Club activities were cancelled today because the teachers are having a meeting. Sorry, we couldn’t show you anything today.”

 

“Hey wait!” Hoseok interrupted. “All of us are here today, right? We could show her what we do. Minju, you in?”

 

One of the girls, who Yoona assumed was the leader of the team shrugged, then nodded. Suddenly it became a ‘show-and-tell’ session. The girls started first, taking their positions while waiting Hoseok to put on the music.

 

 

Yoona was expecting the cutesy girl group stuff, but once the music started, the choreo was so powerful, she forgot to breathe for a minute. She was left with opened, only clapping when others started to.

 

“Okay, WOW! That was amazing! Halla. You’re good! I didn’t expect this!!”

 

Halla had a satisfied expression. “I improved a lot, didn’t I, unnie?”

 

Yoona didn’t get to calm down her excitement when the boys dance team were preparing themselves.

 

“Wait until you see ours, Yoona.” Hoseok chimed.

 

“Yeah, and Yoongi hyung made the beat for us.” Now Yoona definitely didn’t miss the blush on Jimin’s face and send Yoongi a questioning look, which the older just rolled his eyes.

 

The minute the music started, Yoona knew for sure that it was Yoongi’s style of music. He has a distinct beat, anyone spent their whole life with the guy could tell. That being the one and only, Yoona.

 

 

She was mindblowned for the second time that day watching the boys dance. With Jimin’s little tumbling in the middle of the routine, Yoona’s jaw dropped in awe. As soon as they finished, Yoona cheered like she was at a concert.

 

“Why are you guys so good at this?! Superb!”

 

They smiled through the proud moment, ecstatic that somebody praised them.

 

“Yoona, you? Do you dance?” Jimin asked.

 

Yoongi scoffed out loud while Halla was laughing her off. “Yoona unnie? Dance? She’s practically a living robot!”

 

Yoona hid her face in her hands, embarrassed. She remembered trying to dance back in middle school. Not a great thing to reminisce.

 

“Maybe she can sing.” Yoongi said, not even looking away from his phone.

 

She sent a glare in her brother’s direction. Halla also supported his point, saying that Yoona’s voice was great. Soon, all of them were asking her to sing.

 

“Don’t be shy, it’s just us.” One of the girls said.

 

Yoona slowly stood up while still glaring at smirking Yoongi. She thought about what to sing, and then she caught the piano in sight.

 

“This song…my mother used to sing it to me a lot when I was little.”

 

 

She sang her heart out, forgetting the fact that she had an audience. She remembered all the memories with her mother. She had to use all her might to stop herself from crying.

 

She ended her performance and flashed a smile to her audience. They cheered, complimented her on how good she sang and how she managed to feel it so well. Jungkook caught Halla’s eyes became teary.

 

“Why? What’s wrong?”

 

Halla was a little surprised that Jungkook actually talked to her. “Uh…it’s nothing, actually. It’s just, Yoona unnie’s mom was ki-” she halted before continuing, “Uh…her mom died when she was in middle school.”

 

The other boys heard Halla too, and slowly nodded. Taehyung decided to cheer her mood up a little, so he wanted to show his skills.

 

“Well, you’re good. But wait until you hear me sing. I’ve been practicing this for a while!”

 

 

 

Boy, was Taehyung wrong. As soon as his song started, Yoona’s eyes couldn’t be any more widened. Taehyung’s voice was heavenly soulful, the other girls were looking with heart eyes at him. But Yoona could only paid attention to the song.

 

 

 

 

“These two songs…is our song, okay?”

 

 

 

Even though Taehyung changed the song a little by adding Hoseok’s rap in it, it was still the same beautiful lyrics with the same sad melody.

 

 

 

“So every time you guys heard these songs…think of us.”

 

 

 

The song ended but Yoona was still lost in her memories. She had a blank face and kept staring at the floor.

 

 

 

“Mom?! Dad?!”

 

 

 

She almost jumped when she felt Jimin’s hands on her shoulder, asking if she was okay. She then realized that all the room’s occupants were looking at her expectantly. She made a mistake making eye contact with Yoongi, as his painful gaze cut her heart.

 

“I…I-I need some air.”

 

She couldn’t take it anymore, her emotions were overwhelming her. She stood up and walked out of the room and through the hallways until she reached a veranda. She leaned against the railing, taking deep breaths to calm her feelings.

 

“Hey.”

 

She’d half-expected Yoongi to come to her, and he did. He knew her best in these kind of things, even she didn’t understand herself sometimes but Yoongi did it better.

 

Yoongi always made it better.

 

“It’s okay to be sad, you know.”

 

Yoona kept her heart in check, and faked a scoff. “Sad? Who said anything about being sad? The room is just…suffocating, that’s all.”

 

“Then why are you crying?”

 

Her hands immediately flew to her cheeks, just to feel that they were already wet with her tears. She didn’t even realize it but she was already breaking down in sobs. Yoongi pulled her in for a hug and her hands automatically latched to his shirt.

 

“I’m not…I’m not supposed to be sad.” She mumbled in her tears. “I can’t be sad, Yoongs. It’s been years, but I still – ”

 

Yoongi just continued shushing her while her back gently. Then from the corner of his eye, he caught Jimin and Taehyung’s silhouette.

 

“Listen, I’m going to grab your bag, and take you to the apartment okay?” he whispered. “Think you can hold on?”

 

He felt her nod against his shoulder. He walked towards the boys and mentioned them to follow him and not to bother her. He tried his best to ignore Jimin’s confused look, though.

 

“Hyung, is Yoona okay? Is anything wrong?”  

 

“Yeah, she’s fine. She’s just…tired, that’s all. I’m gonna take her home, alright?”

 

 

 

 

 

Back at Yoona’s room, Yoongi kept her all bundled up in her comforter on her bed. He sat by the edge of the bed and never stopped her hair. No words were spoken but Yoongi was here, so Yoona felt safe.

 

She stopped crying moments ago, but too shy to say anything. She was sure Yoongi knew it too, but she was grateful that her brother said nothing and just kept comforting her. She decided it was late and Yoongi needed to rest too.

 

“The others will probably thinking that I’m a freak, right?”

 

He was silent, she thought he didn’t want to upset her. But, nope.

 

“Yeah, who cries after listening to a song? It’s not like you’re at a concert.”

 

He yelped in pain when she pinched his thigh. She sat up on her bed and fixing her hair that was all tangled from all the rolling she did. Yoongi caught her in surprise by cupping both her cheeks.

 

“Yoona-yah. It’s okay to sometimes be sad over this, okay? It’s not wrong. And it’s better to let it out.” She felt like he was staring into her soul. “I’ll always be here.”

 

Both of them fake gagged at the same time. Seeing they had the same reaction, they laughed until they had tears in their eyes. Yoongi was getting to ready to go back to his apartment when he stopped at the door.

 

“You should probably talk to him, though.” He tilted his head to Taehyung’s door. “He looked like a kicked puppy when you left.”

 

Yoona did felt bad about that. Just as she wanted to thank him for being a good brother and support, he’s back to be annoying Yoongi.

 

“A CUTE kicked puppy.” He whispered and winked. That resulted in the door got slammed in his face.

 

 

 

 

 

The next day, Taehyung and Jimin didn’t how to talk to Yoona. They greeted her, but only replied with a nod from her. They didn’t talk even between classes. The truth is, she was thinking hard, on how to tell them about her parents.

 

She didn’t talk about it to strangers. Hell, she didn’t talk much about it in front of Yoongi. But deep down, she felt a bit guilty to Taehyung. It’s not like his singing offended her in any way. It was the opposite; it made her missed her parents.

 

Just after the lunch bell rang, Jimin was looking at Taehyung, contemplating whether to ask her to eat lunch together like they usually did, but they were still walking on egg shells around her and watching her mood.

 

“Taehyung, can we talk?”

 

The said male seemed surprised that he was addressed. He told Jimin to go to the cafeteria first. Yoona took a deep breath. Well, here goes.

 

 

 


errr hi..? >o<