one

She's on Duty

Yoona groaned when she heard her phone rang. She rolled in bed but made no effort to check her phone. It stopped ringing and she exhaled in relief, continuing her sleep.

 

It rang again and she answered it sleepily after seeing the caller ID: ‘Uncle Seokjin’.

 

“Helloooooo? Uncle, why are you-” she mumbled sleepily.

 

“Officer Min.”

 

Yoona’s eyes shot open and all traces of sleepiness gone. She sat upright on her bed. “Yes sir, speaking.”

 

“Think you could get down here in 45?”

 

“I’ll be there in 30, sir.”

 

As the call ended, Yoona got ready in the fastest time she ever did. While getting ready, she wondered what awaits her at the station. Is it serious? Before she walked out, she glanced at the clock showing it was barely 5 a.m.

 

 

 

 

 

Keeping her promise to arrive at 5.30 a.m., Yoona was currently seating in a meeting room together with Officer Kim Seokjin, who was fiddling with the powerpoint presentation.

 

Kim Seokjin was a fine man in his late-thirties. Tall figure, broad shoulders, flawless face; an epic proportion of a model. He eats like a pig, but never gains weight due to him having exercise as a hobby.

 

He was the direct supervisor of Yoona, the leader of her team. He was her uncle, one of the two closest people she had in the world. He was also her legal guardian, before she turned into an adult a few years back.

 

After exchanging a curt nod with each other, he started the presentation. A male’s picture was on the white screen.

 

“RapMon. Real name: Kim Namjoon. Age: 34. The second hand man of Bighit, the biggest crime gang in Seoul.”

 

The picture changed into another male, bigger figure; one look and you can tell he was up to no good.

 

“Our target is this, Bang Sihyuk, his boss. In order to catch him, Kim Namjoon had accepted our deal to testify against Bang Sihyuk, in exchange of immunity. However, the deal went bad the other day when he was being transported here.”

 

Seokjin went on how the car transporting Namjoon was surrounded by a number of gangsters, attacking the car with baseball bats and clubs. Namjoon somehow was able to escape from the scene.

 

“You mean there was an info leak?” she asked out of curiosity.

 

He nodded in grim. “It’s bad that Kim Namjoon had lost his faith in us. However, he contacted us right afterwards for another deal. The trial was weeks away, so we are doing whatever we can to get him back in our custody.”

 

The screen then showed a different picture. A young boy, black hair, chubby cheeks but had chiselled arms.

 

“This is Park Jimin, 18 years old. A sophomore at Seoul’s School of Performing Arts (SOPA). He is Kim Namjoon’s…” he gulped, “…son.”

 

Yoona’s eyes widened in surprise. His son??? That meant that he had Jimin when he was in school? Middle school for that matter?!

 

“But…Kim? Park?”

 

The older male shrugged. “I don’t know. But as far as the documents say, Park Jimin is registered as Kim Namjoon’s son.”

 

Seokjin sighed. “Namjoon agreed to testify if Park Jimin’s safety was guaranteed. We already sent a few officers to be around him but I felt that we need more. We put him under around-the-clock surveillance, and if Namjoon contacted him, we’ll get Namjoon.”

 

Yoona nodded slowly, absorbing the information relayed to her just now. She was startled but managed to accept the bag that was thrown to her.

 

“Put that on, and meet me in the lobby.”

 

Yoona peeked in the bag and all color was drained from her face. She looked up to face Seokjin smiling sweetly at her, but deadly.

 

 

 

 

 

“Uncle! Uncle, are you losing your mind? You can’t be serious!”

 

Seokjin sighed for the hundredth time just that morning. Both of them were sitting at the back of a surveillance van, heading to SOPA. Yoona was wearing the school’s uniform; a yellow-mustard blazer on top of a white shirt, along with the blue-black skirt that stopped on her mid-thigh.

 

“Don’t call me uncle! This is official business.”

 

“Okay, alright. Team Leader Kim! Me, a 24-year old officer going undercover as a student in a high school. Do you really think it will work? Does this make any sense?”

 

Seokjin rolled his eyes. “This is your assignment. Make the impossible possible, Officer Min Yoona.”

 

Yoona also rolled her eyes at her full name. Her uncle was making her crazy.

 

“You know how much I hated school! It was hell! Why did you make me go back there?” she pulled her hair in frustration. “Doing the same thing every day. Study, study, study, and study!”

 

Seokjin scoffed at her. “Study? What did you know about studying? You didn’t even know how to spell ‘study’.”

 

He stared at her, hard. “You hated studying! And what did you ended up in high school? The leader of the school gang!”

 

She pouted at him. Yes, she was wild back then. Instead of studying, she fought in every way possible. She fought everyone at her high school back in Daegu, even with the neighbouring school students.

 

Seokjin, her legal guardian at that time was already a police officer. He had to pull some strings here and there to get her out of that school, had a diploma without even finishing school, and moved her to Seoul to live with him.

 

Luckily she was the only troubled kid in her family, or else Seokjin would be nuts.

 

“Anyway, it was a long time ago. I won’t survive in the school for one day. Please, uncle. Why a student?”

 

Suddenly Yoona’s eyes sparkled. “A teacher! Let me undercover as a teacher. Now that would be a suitable role, wouldn’t it?” she smiled in anticipation.

 

“English teacher? Science teacher? Math teacher? Language? Physics? History?”

 

Her smile disappeared while he smirked. Both of them know she couldn’t teach any of those subjects.

 

They sat in silence for a while until Seokjin finally spoke.

 

“Do this assignment, or turn in your badge.”

 

Yoona gasped and raised her eyebrow. “So now you resort to threatening me? Don’t you have other ways?”

 

“Officer Min Yoona!”

 

The car took a sudden stop at his shout. “Yes, Team Leader Kim Seokjin!”

 

The two exchange heated glares but then Seokjin sighed before talking softly to her.

 

“Just do this, Yoona. Besides, it’s not that you’ll be alone in the school. There are others.”

 

Her eyes lit up. “Really? I’ll have a partner? Who?”

 

The door opened suddenly from the outside, revealing a guy. A guy that Yoona knew so well. A guy with blonde hair, small eyes that had just become smaller, if possible, because he was smiling brightly at her, with his famous gummy smile.

 

Yoona slammed the door close right in his face.

 

It was Yoongi.

 

Min ing Yoongi.

 

The door opened again. “Come on, Yoona, aren’t you happy to see me?” he pulled her out from the van. From behind her, she could hear Seokjin laughing his squeaking-window-cleaning laugh. She turned to him.

 

“I hate you SO MUCH.”

 

“I love you too. Now go. Behave, okay?”

 

The van gone past them and it was just the two Mins in front of the gate. It was already near 8 o’clock and the bell will ring at any time.

 

She looked around and saw a few familiar faces of the officers in her team. They smiled at her, knowing well what had happened. She groaned when she was dragged by Yoongi unwillingly along the corridors.

 

Yoongi go through some info to her while walking, basically what Seokjin informed her a few hours ago. He was in that school for two weeks already, and how Jimin had two best friends whom she will meet later.

 

“What about you? Are you already close with him?”

 

He shrugged. “I only talked to him a couple of times. It’s hard because I’m not in the same class.”

 

“Wait, what? You won’t be in the same class as I am with him?”

 

He had a smug smile that Yoona felt like punching his face at that particular moment. He pointed at his nametag which is in blue, and pointed to hers, which is in red.

 

“I’m a third year.”

 

“What?! Why is it that you’re older than me? Ughhh!”

 

He laughed as they neared the office. “Well I am older, technically.”

 

She rolled her eyes at him in annoyance. “By five minutes and thirty seven seconds! You would never going to let me forget, wouldn’t you?”

 

Min Yoona. Min Yoongi. Twins. They have the same pale skin, the same small eyes, and even the same gummy smile. But luck wasn’t really on her side. He was born on 31st December 1993 at 11.57 p.m. while…you could guess when she came out.

 

Yoongi shook his head, that smug smile still on his face, but dimmed afterwards. “By the way, we’ll be supervised here.”

 

She was about to ask ‘who’ but as if on cue, the door to the office down the hall opened and a my-smile-is-as-bright-as-the-sun guy appeared and wave at both of them.

 

“Hoseok sunbae?”

 

She bowed at him, blushing a bit.

 

“Yoona! I told you to call me oppa already, right? We’ve known for so long!”

 

She blushed even more. Jung Hoseok, a leader of another team. They’ve met when Yoona first enrolled in the police academy. She entered later than her brother. Hoseok, being a walking sunshine, got close to everyone, Yoona was not excluded.

 

“I’ve been on this case for so long. And I would do anything to get this done perfectly.” Hoseok turned to them, “I’ll be watching you closely, Yoona-yah~”

 

The bell rang and Hoseok walked away first. Apparently Hoseok and Yoongi were in the same class, and it irked Yoona more. Yoongi and Yoona looked like they were still in school, but Hoseok was not aging at all. He looked as young as them even though he was already in late twenties.

 

Hoseok walked (more like skipped) to his class. When she turned to her brother, Yoongi frowned in disgust. She just laughed at the sight.

 

“I don’t know why you hate him so much.”

 

“And I don’t know why you have a crush on him.” Yoongi replied with the same tone she was using. Yoona should be annoyed but she blushed.

 

“What…I-I…don’t…” she stuttered making Yoongi laughed.

 

“It’s not like I hate him…he’s just too…bright.”

 

“No, he’s not. You’re just too grumpy.”

 

They were in front of the office and all of a sudden Yoona felt nervous. Could she do this? What if she blew her cover? What if-

 

The nervousness disappeared in a blink when she felt Yoongi’s hand around her shoulders. Although they were twins, Yoongi was (of course) still taller than her. As if reading her mind, he spoke.

 

“You’ll be fine. If anything happens, I’m here, okay?”

 

They bickered all the time, but at times, Yoongi, the more matured one can be dependable and Yoona was forever grateful for that. Pulling her bag straps, she walked in.

 

 


tell me what you think~~ >o<