twelve

She's on Duty

Jimin walked towards the rooftop with light steps. Yoongi just texted him to meet up after lunch. He didn’t question why the older didn’t have lunch with them. He was happy, he was thrilled to meet up with him.

 

Opening the rooftop door, Jimin squinted his already small eyes to adapt to the sudden ray of light. When his eyes were back to normal, he thought he saw the most beautiful painting ever.

 

Yoongi sat on the bench; his elbows rested on his knees. Jimin smiled as he neared the elder, but that smiled disappeared when he saw the grim expression of him.

 

“Yoongi hyung?”

 

The said male turned his head to the voice. He smiled, but his smile wasn’t genuine, and Jimin could see that.

 

“You came.”

 

Yoongi stood up and walked towards him. Jimin could see that he was frowning. It was more visible when they were finally face-to-face.

 

“Hyung? Is something wrong?”

 

Yoongi’s hands automatically reached out, wanting to touch the younger, to tell him that he was sorry, to tell him that everything was going to be alright. But he didn’t know how to do that without hurting the other. And he had no one to blame other than himself.

 

He retracted his hands subtly, hoping that Jimin didn’t see his pathetic attempt of reaching out to him. But Jimin saw it, he saw Yoongi’s fingers turned into a fist before he shoved him into his pocket.

 

What happened? Or… what will?

 

“Jimin.” he breathed out. “I gotta tell you something.”

 

The younger just looked at him expectedly so he decided not to beat around the bush anymore.

 

“I’m a cop.”

 

Jimin chuckled. “What?”

 

“I’m a police officer. I’m currently undercover, here, in this school.”

 

Jimin frowned but still smiling. “Hyung, if you want to joke around – ”

 

“I’m here because of RapMon.”

 

All hints of a smile vanished from Jimin’s face. Yoongi sighed heavily before he continued.

 

“The cops couldn’t contact him to take him into our care. So considering you are his only known family here, as his only son, he would eventually come and contact you. I was sent here to deal this assignment, to get him through you.”

 

Not even once they break their eye contact. Jimin could see that Yoongi was having a turmoil inside him but all he cared was that the older lied to him. He even confessed to him.

 

“So none of this…us…were true?”

 

Jimin’s low squeaky voice made Yoongi wanted to hug him, and tell him that he also didn’t mean any of this to happen, but Jimin’s sudden outrage surprised him.

 

“So I was just an assignment? A case?! Hyung, we’d even kissed – oh, I guess that was planned too, huh?”

 

Jimin’s eyes watered but he used all his strength not to let any of his tears fall. Not in front of him.

 

As soon as he turned to walk away, he came face-to-face with Yoona. He scoffed.

 

“And you’re just the same as him, too?”

 

She nodded slowly. She didn’t have anything to say. It was not like they did anything wrong, but anyone in Jimin’s position would’ve feel betrayed. Even more so, because friends were everything in your high school life, right?

 

Jimin wanted to walk away but he felt someone’s hands pulling him to a stop.

 

“Jimin,” Yoongi said, “you’ll be coming with us after school. We’ll provide full protection.”

 

Yoongi gasped when Jimin yanked his arm harshly.

 

“Just…leave me alone until then.”

 

 

 

 

 

Yoona and Yoongi escorted Jimin to one of the police’s safehouse near the outskirts of Seoul. Jimin sat at the backseat alone while Yoona sat beside Yoongi, who was driving. None of them said anything during the ride.

 

Jimin knew Yoongi was looking at him from time to time through the rear view mirror. Yoongi knew that Jimin knew he was looking. He made it obvious. Their eyes met a few times but Jimin quickly avoided his.

 

They’ve arrived at a small house, surrounded by numerous police officers. Jimin was brought to a bedroom on the second floor. It was small, but it had a bed and looked cozy, enough for just one night.

 

“This is where you’ll be staying for the night. Tomorrow we’ll go to the court for the trial.”

 

Jimin put his bag down. Still in his school uniform, he sat gently on the bad. His shoulders dropped, obviously tired.

 

“Jimin…”

 

Yoongi reached out for his small hands but flinched when Jimin pulled his hands towards his own body, not wanting to be touched by him. The younger turned his face away. Jimin heard him sigh. He heard footsteps and the door closed. Jimin closed his eyes and sighed heavily.

 

“Don’t hate him too much.”

 

His eyes opened in shock, surprised that there was still someone else in the room. Yoona was standing at the end of the bed, smiling apologetically at him.

 

She moved slowly towards him and sat on the bed. She took his hand and thanked god he didn’t pull back.

 

“We didn’t mean to lie. We promise. Well, technically – we didn’t, but – ”

 

Yoona closed and smiled sheepishly at him when he glared at her.

 

“It’s just…okay, here’s the thing. We were sent here, to this school, initially to protect you because RapMon asked for our help. And we – the police – thought that if RapMon contacted you, since he’d never contact us, we’ll try to talk to him. It’s like killing two birds with one stone. You can’t blame us for that.”

 

Jimin agreed. He nodded a little. Of course he knew, but he was just so confused with the situation.

 

“What…what about Jungkook?”

 

“He’s…with Taehyung.”

 

Jimin sighed relieved.

 

“Wait, did you…? You knew who Taehyung is?”

 

He shrugged. “I had a hunch.”

 

He had an idea who Taehyung was. He didn’t exactly know his exact identity, but he knew that his ‘friend’ was someone from Namjoon’s side. And Namjoon would never hurt him. And he thinks that he once saw Taehyung during one of the gang meetings where Namjoon used to bring him along when he was little.

 

“Jimin, about Yoongi…” she started slowly, “Yoongi would never, never use you. He’s hurt as much as you are right now. He didn’t expect you to be this cute, though.”

 

Yoona caught Jimin off guard with that sentence, which sent Jimin laughing all of a sudden. Yoona felt relieved when she saw his spirits were lifted at least a little.

 

“I’m not mad…it’s just…I just – ”

 

Yoona pulled him into a sudden hug, startling him.

 

“What’s this for?” his voice muffled against her shoulder.

 

She chuckled. “I don’t know. I would need this if I were you.”

 

 

 

 

 

Yoongi sat on the bench at the lawn, watching as the lights in the room Jimin’s staying went out. He sighed with his head down. He looked back up when he felt a hand on his shoulder.

 

“Don’t worry about it too much, Yoongs. He’ll be fine.”

 

He snorted. “How would you know that?”

 

She shrugged with a smug expression. “A girl’s instinct.”

 

He chuckled. He looked at his twin, wondering why she tried so hard to hide her troubled mind.

 

“And Taehyung?”

 

He watched her face go soft. She sighed deeply before answering him.

 

“He’s…gone. He took Jungkook with him, so I think they’ll be fine.”

 

He pulled her into a hug, startling her for the sudden action. Before she could ask anything, he spoke, “Don’t say anything. Just… I would need this if I were you.”

 

Her laugh was muffled against his chest. He pulled away to frown.

 

“What’s so funny?”

 

She shook her head while still laughing. “Oh, we’re so twins.”

 

Yoongi looked at her, not understanding her words. But then it’s time for her to go, they shared one last hug before walking away.

 

“Stay safe, Yoongs.”

 

“Yeah, you too.”

 

 

 

 

 

Just a few minutes after midnight, a figure dressed in black was walking down the hallway, heading towards the room Jimin was staying. Upon stopping in front of the door, even before the two guards staying put in front of the door was able to say anything, the guy in black knocked both of them out easily.

 

He slowly opened the door, afraid of waking the sleeping high schooler. He carefully stepped closer to the bed. There was a sheer curtain separating him and the bed. Tightening his grip on the knife he was holding, he pulled back the curtain and was shocked to see two eyes, belonging to a blonde head, staring hard at him.

 

Yoongi, who is laying on the bed sassily scoffed. “So it’s you, huh?”

 

Dumbfounded by the discovery, the intruder took a step back and scanned the surroundings. Jimin was not there, and Yoongi was quickly getting up and charging towards him. He cursed under his breath, and there was nothing stopping him now.

 

As soon as Yoongi got to him, he plunged the knife into Yoongi’s stomach twice. The blonde didn’t see the weapon before, and it definitely caught him off guard. Blood gushed out from the wounds, as the attacker did slice his belly instead of just stabbing.

 

The intruder was long gone. Yoongi lay on the floor, not being able to move. He tried, but the pain was too much. He was definitely losing a lot of blood, fast, and he didn’t want to die there alone.

 

He pulled out his gun and shot the window, shattering it. This alarmed all officers within the area. Hoseok was startled by the sound and ran towards Jimin’s room as he was nearby. Seeing Yoongi unconscious in his pool of blood, Hoseok shouted out the window.

 

“Call the ambulance now! We got an officer down!!!”

 

 

 

 

 

“Where are we going?” Jimin asked confused.

 

“To another safe house. Yoongi had a hunch, something that he –”

 

Yoona was interrupted by her own phone ringing in the car. She put on her Bluetooth headset and accepted the call.

 

“Officer Min Yoona speaking.”

 

Yoona’s face frowned immediately hearing the news. She muttered a loud and made an abrupt u-turn right in the middle of the street.

 

 

 

 

 

Yoona and Jimin walked as fast as they can to get to the emergency department. Hoseok spotted them first and waved them over.

 

“What. The. . Happened?!”

 

Hoseok sighed. Clearly he looked tired. He glanced at Jimin before explaining to her.

 

“There was an intruder. I don’t know how he got past the guards but he attacked Yoongi. I think he wanted to get Jimin but Yoongi was in his place instead. I got there as soon as I can but…he’s already out. There was blood everywhere and – ”

 

“NO!”

 

Yoona’s knees gave up and she fell. “No! No! No! This cannot be happening! I-I…I can’t lose him too! No!”

 

Tears fell down as she sobbed in Hoseok’s arms. The elder shushed her with comforting words as his hands rubbed her back. Jimin felt his heart constrict as he stared at the red light reading ‘Operation Theatre’.

 

Yoona gently broke from Hoseok’s hug. “I can’t just sit here and do nothing. Jimin still needs to be transferred.”

 

“But Yoona, you can’t drive. Not in this state.”

 

Another officer was tasked to drive the two to the safe house. After making sure that Hoseok will call her first if anything happens to Yoongi, she and Jimin settled at the backseat in a silence.

 

Yoona was trying hard to hide her sniffs but failed miserably. All of Yoongi’s memories with her started to flood her mind.

 

All the times when she would get angry with him as he always gets away with everything he did when they parents were still alive.

 

How he would always making stupid faces behind their parents’ back when she was lectured.

 

How he would join her in fighting all the bullies that used to call her names.

 

How he didn’t say anything but continued to support her when she had to extend another two years of high school due to too much of fighting.

 

How he…came to her rescue the night their parents were murdered.

 

Tears wouldn’t stop falling from her eyes, wetting her sleeves as she wiped them off. She felt a hand on hers so she turned to look at it.

 

Jimin gave her a tight-lipped smile. “Everything’s gonna be fine.”

 

Yoona snapped out of it. If she was feeling this way, Jimin would probably felt the same way, right?

 

“I’m sorry.” She sniffed, “You must be sad too, right? I’m so selfish.”

 

He just shook his head and smiled sadly at her. “You’re his twin. What I felt can never be compared to yours.”

 

She felt another wave of tears getting out but she suppressed them down.

 

“Jimin, Yoongi is going – ”

 

She stopped talking, only to take account of their surroundings. It didn’t felt right. She didn’t know this neighbourhood. It was not a familiar road. And it was definitely not the road towards their destination.

 

“Hey, I think you got the wrong route.”

 

The officer kept driving and not saying anything. She grabbed the back of his collar to have his attention but suddenly he sped up, sending Jimin and Yoona to their seats. She tried to headlock him from behind but he managed to lock her arm, spinning it in a way it was not supposed to be.

 

She groaned in pain. After a few minutes of struggling, the car stopped suddenly and she took this chance to choke the pretend officer.

 

“Who the are you?”

 

Yoona felt Jimin’s hand on her jacket, calling for her attention but she ignored it at first. Then she heard some sounds from outside the car.

 

“Yoona…look outside.”

 

She did, and she saw ten, no, maybe twenty or more people, all of them equipped with a weapon; a metal bat, a knife, some sticks, and even pistols. Distracted, her grip on the driver loosened and he managed to get out of the car.

 

She tried to grab him but then Jimin’s door opened and he was being taken away roughly. She heard his scream and reached out for him but it was too late. Someone pulled her out of her car, sending her tumbling down on the gravel in process.

 

“Yoona! Help!”

 

She heard him loud and clear, but she couldn’t move. Not when more than five people were beating the out of her at the same time. She could see they were dragging Jimin away so she tried to stand up after pulling one of the many legs kicking her, causing one of the to fall down.

 

As soon as she was on her two legs, she felt a sudden sharp pain at the back of her neck. She lost her balance and fell on her knees. She felt her world spinning before she turned around and fell flat on her back.

 

She managed to see that one of her attackers had an electric taser. She could practically feel the electricity running through her body. She turned her head to the direction of Jimin’s screaming her name, but her visions blurred out, and she fainted.

 

 

 

 

 

Namjoon took a look at his phone after a ding indicating a text came.

 

Bang SiHyuk: You better come to the base if you don’t want this little one to get hurt.

 

There was a picture attached to the text. It was of Jimin, being tied down to a chair. His hair was pulled back forcefully for him to look at the camera.

 

! He cursed as he got ready.