thirteen

She's on Duty

Namjoon went out of the car parked right in front of Bang Sihyuk’s quarters. He didn’t wish to come back here after he fled. He wanted to quit; he saved more than enough to escape from the gang world. He wanted to fly overseas, along with Jimin, bringing him anywhere but Seoul for his own safety.

 

After all, all of these started because of him.

 

 

 

 

 

Namjoon quit high school to work. He moved out as soon as he got the news of the kid. He needed to, because of responsibilities. Raising a kid while studying was impossible, so he started working several part-time jobs to support them. But the usual pay was never enough, so he opted for a different job.

 

It all started when he accidentally walked in an abandoned factory while looking for stuff to recycle, where a drug deal was being made. He barely escaped, his long limbs finally had a purpose. He caught one of the bosses eyeing him, but he ignored it at the back of his mind.

 

One night, a few weeks after the encounter, the boss he recognized at the factory came to his night shift at the convenience store. Of course he pretended like he didn’t know the other. The man went to the drinks section without even glancing at him which made him sigh in relief.

 

Namjoon continued his work at the counter as one of the customers was paying. As soon as the customer left, several men in black came in and closed the door shut, blocking it with a metal bat.

 

“Hey kid. You know I saw you the other day, right?”

 

He gulped. He looked in front of him to see that shorter, fatter mob boss smirking at him. All the exits were blocked, so escaping was not an option. He was a dead man. But he was thinking hard and fast; he had responsibilities, he had Jimin waiting for him at his friend’s house. He had promised the kid’s mother to take full care of him. But he couldn’t do that if he was dead, right?

 

“You’re a smart kid. So I’m going to do this the easy way.”

 

Namjoon heard some rustling sound from his side. He closed his eyes tightly, waiting for the shot to his head. I’m sorry Jimin, he said it in his head. But all he got was a dark chuckle from the man in front of him. He opened his eyes as he felt someone pulled his hand from his side to put a phone in it.

 

“Work for me.”

 

 

 

 

 

Ever since that, Namjoon found himself running errands for Bang Sihyuk, who he later learned was the biggest mob lord in the gang world. Didn’t know if he just landed himself in a pile of , or in a treasure box, he continued the works as it brought a lot of money.

 

It started with just delivery tasks, and then proceeded to leading drug deals, bringing down other petty gangs, etc. He was not going to lie; he was good at what he did. He was getting better and better that he climbed his way up the organization.

 

He killed, of course. But he was never proud of it. The ones he killed haunted him in his dreams. He was still having nightmares of their screams up to this day. These all added up to the bad dreams about the last look Seokjin gave him.

 

This was the time to take this to a stop. It all ends tonight, he thought. He sent a text to Taehyung for backup, but even he himself knew it wouldn’t help much. With a heavy heart, he walked into the building. The same factory that he ran into the boss at the first place. Oh the irony.

 

It didn’t take long for him to find Bang Sihyuk. He was waiting for him at the centre. See, the thing about Bang Sihyuk was that, he had a boxing ring built so that he could send anyone he that messed with him (or anyone that he didn’t like for that matter) inside the ring and fight each other to death.

 

And seeing him standing in the middle of a boxing ring had Namjoon knew what kind of end he would be facing. He didn’t want to brag, but he was sure he was going to win this.

 

“Ah, I’m surprised to see you here so fast.”

 

Namjoon paid no attention to that as he stepped into the ring. From his peripheral, he could see Jimin was seated on a chair. He didn’t seem to be physically hurt, and it calmed Namjoon a bit.

 

 

 

 

 

Yoona barely gained her consciousness, just to realize that she was left alone, right in the middle of nowhere. She patted her pants. Of-ing-course they took my phone, she thought. She leaned heavily against the car, her vision was still starry, still blurry and she could still feel jittery from the earlier shock.

 

A bike drove past her speedily, but turned around once the rider got a glimpse of her. She tried her best to squint her already-small eyes against the light shone on her by the bike. The rider got off and walked to her while scanning her surroundings. She would get into her fighting stance but she was too weak to even stand properly.

 

She closed her eyes and braced herself against the car for whatever impact or attack from the newcomer. But she opened her eyes when she felt two glove-covered hands cupped her face gently.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

Although his face was covered, and his voice was muffled by the helmet he was wearing, she could never forget that deep voice that she longed for. She nodded weakly. He grabbed her hand and walked towards his bike, handing her a helmet. Yoona looked at it, wondering whether it was a right thing to do.

 

“We don’t have all day. Come on.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Kim Namjoon. I thought meeting you years ago was the best thing that happened in my life. You and your mad ideas, your intelligence, had brought nothing but prosper to this gang. And we’ve accomplished so many ing good things together.”

 

With a swing of his hand, Jimin screamed as his hair was painfully pulled back by one of the gangsters.

 

“I don’t want to hurt him. He’s like my family too. But you left me no choice. You just had to tattle me away to the cops, huh?” he shook his head. “I’ll tell you what, kid. Let’s have this, one-on-one. If I win, yours, and that brat’s lives are mine. But if you win, you can be the boss. Deal?”

 

Namjoon didn’t reply, as he charged forward and punched him in the gut. That seemed to knock the breath out of Bang Sihyuk, but he recovered fast and pulled the taller down by his jacket. He punched him hard as soon as their faces were levelled with each other. Namjoon dropped to the floor, his visions were blurry. Bang Sihyuk made no time to waste by repeatedly kicking him right at his stomach. Namjoon curled up like a baby, making his attacker smiled in triumph. But the younger quickly grabbed and yanked the leg kicking him, causing him to fall down right on his .

 

Namjoon wasted no time and stood up to go to the other side of the ring to recover himself. He glanced at Jimin, who was looking at him worriedly. I’m fine, he mouthed at the younger while trying to smile, not realizing it was more of a grimace due to his bleeding gums.

 

Bang Sihyuk was up and started to take off his jacket.

 

“You see, Namjoon…wait, you’re not going to.”

 

He tossed his jacket towards Namjoon. The younger struggled against it as it covered his head for a few seconds. But that mere seconds were enough for the mob boss to pull out a knife and stabbed his second-in-command in the thigh, twice.

 

A scream could be heard from Jimin when he saw Namjoon dropped on the ground, his legs couldn’t support him anymore. He groaned when he finally gained his sight back when the jacket was removed.

 

“This is not fair!” he said through his gritted teeth.

 

The shorter man squatted right next to him. “Life is never fair.”

 

He stabbed Namjoon once more in his stomach, which had the younger cried out in pain. He twisted the knife a few times before pulling it out. The blood that seeped out from the wound became apparent against the white shirt he was wearing.

 

“You know I hate traitors. I ing raised you, you little prick.”

 

The older man wiped his bloodied knife on Namjoon’s pants. He was about to stand when the door was kicked open with a loud bang. Yoona and Taehyung walked in side by side. Namjoon released a sigh.

 

“You’re relieved, kid?” Bang Sihyuk questioned. “With just two other kids, what can they even do?”

 

A loud gunshot was heard and the warehouse fell into a silence. Yoona slowly lowered her gun, aiming towards the mob boss.

 

“Bang Sihyuk, as for the crimes you’ve committed as a gang boss, you are under arrest – ”

 

Her words were cut by his laughter.

 

“Arrest? You? Arresting me?” he exploded into another laugh. He didn’t have to do anything. His own men started to advance to the newcomer duo.

 

There were tens, no, at least twenty people walking towards them menacingly. Yoona cursed. She couldn’t shoot all these people. Shooting blindly was against of her principles. And her bullets were nowhere near enough, too.

 

She took a few steps back, probably thinking of ways to run out here and thinking about how she shouldn’t walk in here aimlessly. Without any backup from the police. , she should’ve told something to Seokjin about this!

 

She then felt a hand, gently placed on her back. She glanced at her side, totally forgetting about his existence.

 

“I got you.”

 

Even for a split second their eyes met, Yoona felt assured. She could do this. I can do this. She put away her gun back into her pocket, and charged forward at the same time with Taehyung.

 

Yoona kicked a guy right on his stomach, sending him tumbling over another guy. One guy grabbed her arm, but she twisted it behind him. One more guy kicked her from behind and she fell. Before she could get up, two guys came at her at punching her blindly. She grunted as she tried her best to shield herself from the attacks.

 

She swiped her legs, effectively bringing down her attackers. She picked a baseball bat she found and started to swing around. She had no idea how to use it. She cursed herself for not paying attention in class back at the academy.

 

She couldn’t turn any faster when she heard a deep laugh behind her. Taehyung had one guy in a headlock while he had just delivered a swinging back kick towards another, all while staring and laughing at Yoona.

 

“Do you even know what the hell are you doing?”

 

Despite the tiredness from having a fight, she blushed, embarrassed. That drove her to swing the bat towards a guy right at his jaw. A loud crack could be heard and that shut Taehyung up. She turned to him, giving a did-you-see-that look. He smirked, but soon his face panicked at the sight behind her.

 

She felt someone kicked her from behind. She would’ve got her face planted, if it was not for Taehyung who caught her right before it happened. She got right back on her foot and now standing side by side with Taehyung. They’ve fought almost half of Bang Sihyuk underlings, and the other half were surrounding the two.

 

“Taehyung.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

 

 

 

“You’re…you’re a thug, right?”

 

He chuckled lowly. “Is that what you should be questioning right now?”

 

“You know…” she huffed, “You are the most mysterious guy in my life.”

 

“Glad to be.”

 

They stormed off at the same time, throwing punches and kicks at their opponent. At the time of confusion, the men holding Jimin down ran towards the fighting duo. Jimin ran to Namjoon, kneeling at his side. Tears rolled down his chubby cheeks, some ended on Namjoon’s face.

 

The elder smiled at him, reached his hand up to wipe those tears.

 

“Don’t cry, Jimin-ah…” he coughed and pain shot up his spine. Blood can be seen seeping out of wish wounds, “I’m used to this.”

 

“No no no shhhh don’t talk. Just – ”

 

Bang Sihyuk pulled Jimin’s hair back, causing the younger to grunt, and Namjoon to glare at his boss in disgust.

 

“Hey!”

 

He looked towards the voice. Voices. Taehyung and Yoona looked at him with wicked eyes.

 

“Nobody touches our Jiminnie like that!”

 

The two made their way towards the ring. Bang Sihyuk cursed and started to walk away. Taehyung ran after him but some other men blocked his path and fought with him. Yoona kneeled beside Namjoon.

 

“Are you okay? , you’re bleeding too much! Jimin, put some pressure on it.”

 

Namjoon hissed in pain when Jimin pressed his abdomen. He then saw Bang Sihyuk at the corner of his eye, trying to escape. He informed the young officer, but Yoona looked at him worriedly. She couldn’t leave him, not when he was injured, and Jimin was defenceless, and the other gang members were out here trying to kill them.

 

“Yoona, go! I got this!”

 

Taehyung huffed after kicking someone right in his face. He turned to her to smirk, but then got distracted when another came to punch him. He managed to block him and throw a punch right after.

 

Yoona looked around. The gang members lessened, but they were still quite a number for Taehyung alone to fight them. But Bang Sihyuk was going to run away, and she couldn’t let that happen. Unconsciously, she looked at Namjoon, asking for advice.

 

Her gaze reminded him of Seokjin; the confused look he had whenever he needed help. He gave her a small smile and nodded, a sign to leave them, to go after the mob boss, and that they’ll be fine. Yoona nodded back, and to Jimin as well. She contemplated for a few seconds, before doing what she thought best at that time.

 

 

 

 

 

Bang Sihyuk ran as fast as he could. He couldn’t, though. His big body didn’t allow him to move very fast. He was so focused on escaping, he didn’t hear the footsteps after him. It was when Yoona shouted his name that he realized he was being followed.

 

Yoona jumped on him and pulled his hair back.

 

“How dare you pulled Jiminnie’s hair! That soft mochi didn’t deserve that!”

 

He grunted but managed to shake her off his back. Yoona rolled on the ground and pulled herself up quickly. A few punches were exchanged between the two, but Yoona was clearly having the upper hand.

 

One particular punch squared to Bang Sihyuk’s nose sent him tumbling back and dropped to the floor. Yoona huffed in victory. She used whatever strength left in her limbs to drag the now nearly unconscious gang boss towards the wall, where several pipes were present.

 

Halfway reciting the Miranda rights to Bang Sihyuk, Yoona felt a familiar sensation.

 

A gun to her temple.

 

The hairs at the back of her neck rose as she heard a familiar voice.

 

 

 

 

 

“I ing told you this is my. ing. Case.”