seven

She's on Duty

It was Saturday when the Min siblings, Hoseok, and the maknae trio went to Han River to play basketball. They split themselves into teams and played 3-on-3 at one of the courts. Yoona who was still being salty with her brother screening her the other day, was playing her best against him.

 

They split into the same teams; Hoseok-Yoona-Jungkook and Yoongi-Jimin-Taehyung. They ignored the heat from the rising sun and continued playing. Yoona was currently dribbling her way past Jimin but couldn’t shoot because Taehyung was waiting at the basket.

 

Distracted by the thoughts of her weird dream the other day, she couldn’t stop the oh-so-great Min Yoongi from stealing her ball and shot the last goal. She groaned and childishly stomping her feet on the court, drawing laughs from the others.

 

“Yah! Let’s take a break, I’m exhausted!”

 

The others agreed at Hoseok’s suggestion and went to gobble down their water bottles.

 

“Urm…Yoongi hyung.” Jimins called him out shyly. “Can you teach me a few tricks?”

 

Yoongi almost choked on his water but he pretended to be calm and nodded. Yoona and Jungkook whistled at them, making Yoongi threw his towel at his sister.

 

The two players went back to the basket and Yoongi started to explain a few special actions that he had. Including the fake that he usually did before shooting.

 

He demonstrated first by having Jimin guard him, and told him to try it but the younger was having difficulties in figuring out where his foot supposed to be.

 

“Here.” Yoongi nonchalantly placed his hand under Jimin’s left knee to put his foot in a correct way, and slightly bending it for a better posture. Despite the heat from the sun and after playing a few games just now, the black-haired guy felt a shiver down his spine.

 

Yoongi’s voice telling him to try again broke his imagination and he tried doing the trick. It felt awkward for the first few times and Yoongi kept laughing at him. Jimin didn’t mind being laughed at, as long as he could see Yoongi’s gummy smile, and that made his heart swell. 

 

Another try of the fake move and Jimin miraculously did it perfectly. Yoongi stopped laughing and started paying more attention. When Jimin did it again, he cheered for him.

 

“Hyung! I did it! Yay I did it!”

 

He was jumping in excitement and unconsciously, ran to Yoongi to hug him. The elder hugged him back and ruffled his hair lovingly. Jimin suddenly registered to his mind what he did and attentively looked at the other.

 

“Sorry, hyung. I was…too happy…”

 

With that, Yoongi smiled. “It’s nothing, punk.” He ruffled Jimin’s hair one more time before continuing their session.

 

 

 

From far, Hoseok and Taehyung snickered at the two basketball players.

 

“Oh god, my eyes are tainted from this lovey-dovey thingy!” Taehyung dramatically wailed.

 

Hoseok, who was silent for a while, opened his mouth to talk. “Taehyung-ah.”

 

The younger male looked at him, with a questioning gaze. Hoseok tried to convince himself not to do it, but he did anyway.

 

“Where did you say you were from?”

 

Taehyung gulped down his spit harshly. His throat suddenly felt dry. He was never that close with Hoseok just like Jimin and Jungkook were. He just tagged along and naturally became acquaintances with him.

 

Truth be told, Hoseok did scared him a little. He noticed that the elder always looked at him and Jungkook with sharp eyes. That freaked him out a little. And why is he questioning him like this?

 

“Daegu. Why, hyung?”

 

Taehyung had his blank face on, trying to ignore the cold sweat that was forming on his forehead.

 

Hoseok looked like he wanted to ask more but stopped when he spotted Jungkook jogging towards them.

 

“Taetae hyung! My water’s all finished! Come with me to the store!”

 

“What? Oh…yeah, I’m coming.”

 

Taehyung thanked the heavens for sending Jungkook at the right time. He got up and followed the youngest to the nearest convenience store. But unknown to the orange head, this was not a coincidence.

 

Hoseok glanced at Jungkook’s water bottle. It was not even half empty. He made a mental note of it. Yoona sat beside him, puzzled at his look.

 

“Hoseok sunbae, why do you look like that?”

 

“I think…we should keep an eye on Taehyung.”

 

The girl made a questioning noise and looked at the direction where the said male went.

 

“He’s suspicious, Yoona. I think he’s one of them.”

 

By ‘them’ he meant the people who worked for Bang Sihyuk. Hoseok didn’t need any more intervention in this case. It’s troubling enough that he had to supervise the Min siblings.

 

“What?” she laughed. “Sunbae, I think it’s Jungkook that we need to be worried about, not him.”

 

“Hmmm…I hope you’re right. Well, I gotta go. Got some work at the station.” He left, but not before playfully ruffling Yoona’s hair.

 

She made an annoyed noise, but deep inside she wasn’t. She was always happy when Hoseok ruffled her hair. But she wasn’t that happy anymore. Maybe because of a certain high schooler started filling her mind these days.

 

She sighed and placed herself comfortably against the tree. She watched the other two on the court, still playing against each other. Well, more like subtle flirting here and there. She chuckled slightly and tried to close her eyes.

 

A sudden cold sensation on her left cheek made her jolted up and her eyes snapped opened. She heard Taehyung laughed and pouted at the cold canned beverage that he offered at her. She took it and gulped the drink down, and exhaled afterwards as if she was drinking beer.

 

Taehyung just chuckled at her. He lay down near the tree; his head was just beside her. She looked at him, unconsciously smiling at his calm face. Their eyes suddenly met, and Yoona couldn’t stop the blush that was starting to spread on her face.

 

“Since you told your story, I’ll tell mine.”

 

Taehyung took of his watch and handed it to her. She took it hesitantly and examined it. It was an old watch, had leather strips, and a carving hastily made at the back of it. ‘Tae’ in hangul.

 

“That was a gift. From my dad.”

 

She looked at him, watched how his face slightly furrowed but never stopped smiling.

 

“It was from one of his many business trips. I think this one is from Switzerland? Or somewhere along there.”

 

There was a long silence before he looked up to the sky and continued his story.

 

“My mom died while having me so dad was all I have. He died in an accident when I was 10 so I stayed with my grandmother after that. But she’s old. I have to work here and there to support us.”

 

Yoona just hummed in response. Taehyung didn’t look like he was telling a sad story. She wondered how strong this kid actually was.

 

“I had to sell this watch at a pawn shop once. I was desperate. But then this one ahjusshi was there at that time. He told me he would not let the owner sell this watch, but I have to work for him.”

 

Yoona gasped in horror. “What did he make you do? Did he sell you or something?”

 

Taehyung couldn’t help but laugh at her statement.

 

“Hey, I’m here, aren’t I? Alive and kicking.” He shook his head before talking again. “Just odd jobs. Delivering things here and there, holding his coat when he was working, stuff like that.”

 

“Oh my god Taehyung he was forcing you into working. Illegal child labour!”

 

Taehyung laughed again and glanced at her worried face.

 

“I didn’t work for free. Later I found out that he paid for the bills at my grandmother’s house, even had a trust fund for me for my school.”

 

“Wow…” she was speechless. “He was like, your daddy long legs or something?”

 

He just shrugged and smiled. He closed his eyes, remembering that man that helped him throughout the years. Suddenly he felt something his hair. He sighed and leaned into the touch before looking at her.

 

Yoona’s hand stopped in his hair. “I…I thought you need a pat on the head or something.”

 

She retracted her hand but Taehyung grabbed her hand and put it back on his head, repeating the patting motion.

 

“Keep going, I like it.”

 

Yoona smiled when Taehyung closed his eyes again and snuggled towards her hand.

 

“What are you, a puppy?”

 

He playfully barked at her. She laughed while still his hair. How she wish this was never going to end.

 

 

 

 

 

Seokjin texted the siblings, inviting them to his house for dinner and a movie. They did this once in a while. Whenever Seokjin had something he liked to try on a new recipe, he would call up Yoongi and Yoona to try his cooking.

 

Both of them arrived at his house at 6 p.m., helped him here and there setting the table. Even though it was just them three, Seokjin liked to have a feeling of a formal dinner. It was at least he can do after they moved out of his house.

 

After their parents died, being the only younger brother of their dad, Seokjin adopted them. He didn’t want his niece and nephew to go to any foster homes. Seokjin had just being promoted to an inspector at that time.

 

He took care of them, although he had to take them up to Seoul from Daegu. But the siblings never complained. They didn’t want to stay at their hometown either. It was too full with memories of their family.

 

After finishing school, Yoongi was eager to follow his dad’s and also Seokjin’s footsteps; to become a policeman. While Yoona had to stay for another two years because she caused too much trouble at school. Who knew she would also follow them.

 

As they settled for dinner, they started talking about the case. Just light chats, nothing serious. Then they talked about how school was faring to them, as they hadn’t been in it for a while. Yoona groaned and whined about all the studying she had to do.

 

“By the way,” Seokjin cleared his throat. “I heard that there’s a cute kid classmate and you’re falling head over heels for him?”

 

Yoona dropped her fork and glared at her brother. Yoongi tried his best to not laugh and kept stuffing his mouth with the pasta their uncle made.

 

She groaned. “I’m not falling for him.” she mumbled.

 

“Yeah, you’re not. You just have a HUGE crush on him.”

 

“Yoongi you little – ”

 

Yoona stood up abruptly, causing her chair to tumble backwards. She bumped on to the table, shaking it in process. Seokjin already picked up his plate, eating from a distance while amusedly watching them throwing broccolis at each other.

 

 

After a disasterous yet fun dinner, the three of them snuggled on the couch while the movie opening credits was playing.

 

“Uncle Seokjin, I saw a strawberry ice-cream tub in the fridge. Can we…?”

 

He turned to her, knowing what she had in mind. He smiled, but that smile was anything but sweet.

 

“No. That, was for an emergency.”

 

“What kind of emergency?”

 

He hummed to think. “Emotional distress.”

 

 

Halfway through the movie, Seokjin’s phone rang. He earned a series of grunts from the twins when he had to break free from the little blanket cocoon they made on the couch. He went into the kitchen to answer the call.

 

“Hello?”

 

He got no reply. He called out again but there was only silence. He was ready to end the call when he heard his voice.

 

“Seokjin hyung.”

 

Seokjin stopped btreathing. His eyes were as wide as they can be. He almost stumbled down as his legs gave up on him but he managed to lean his body to the counter. He closed his eyes and exhaled shakily.

 

“Namjoon.”

 

Even though they were talking through the phone, Seokjin could almost see Namjoon smiling sadly.

 

“It’s been a while, hyung.”

 

Seokjin sighed. It has been a while since they talked to each other. Was it 17? Or 18 years ago that they’ve listened to each other’s voices? They were supposed to finally meet when Namjoon agreed to come down to the station to testify, but then the attack happened, and he disappeared.

 

But Seokjin all knew too well, that Namjoon was the one that left the envelope in his room at his house. The envelope containing all the extra information they need to catch Bang Sihyuk. Also in that envelope was a small note, asking Seokjin personally to put more officers around Jimin.

 

He hated to do this, but Seokjin couldn’t let his heart wavered at Namjoon’s voice. He intentionally hardened his voice a little.

 

“Just cut the chase and spit it. What do you want, Kim Namjoon?”

 

He could hear the disappointment in Namjoon’s sigh over the line. He didn’t want anything to do with Namjoon. Just saying his name through his own lips broke his heart, or whatever was left of it before Namjoon took it away with him years ago.

 

He almost cried out when he hear the guy on the other line chuckled sadly.

 

“Okay, I’m sorry, Team Leader Kim.” Seokjin hissed in silence hearing the change in Namjoon’s voice tone.

 

“I’m just here to inform you that I hear Bang Sihyuk is moving his men. You gotta tighten up your security. And please, make sure Jimin is safe.”

 

A tear slipped down Seokjin’s cheek. Jimin. His son. Of course he was worried about him.

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll make sure you son is safe. Couldn’t you tell I’ve put more of my own people around him?”

 

“Wait, he’s not – hyung, after all this ends, we need to talk.”

 

The elder scoffed. “What else is there to be talked about, Namjoon? You do your part of the deal, and I’ll do mine. Just keep you promise this time.”

 

The line went silent that Seokjin thought Namjoon hung up. Then he heard him sighed, he could almost see how Namjoon frustratingly ran his hand through his platinum-blonde hair.

 

“Okay, if that’s what you want. Thank you, Seokjin hyung, and – ”

 

Seokjin couldn’t stop his finger from pressing the red button to end the call. Hearing his name escape from Namjoon lips cut straight through his heart. How he missed the younger to call out for him, but not like this.

 

But if waited for Namjoon to end his sentence, Seokjin would have heard what Namjoon was dying to say to him.

 

“ – and I missed you, hyung.”

 

 

 

The twins tried to shield their eyes when the lights were suddenly . There their uncle stood near the switch, with red and puffy eyes, an ice-cream tub in one hand. Yoongi made way for Seokjin to sit in between them and carefully put a blanket around his uncle’s shoulders. Yoona just rubbed his shoulders without knowing anything.

 

Seokjin handed each of them a spoon. They shared a look with each other, knowing it was better to just accept it. Seokjin sighed before digging his own spoon into the tub.

 

“I’ve got something to tell you guys.”