CHAPTER 16

One and Only
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Just an important note:

 

‘this means their thoughts’ “this means Korean conversation” “this means Chinese conversation” If the whole paragraphs are italicized, it means they’re flashbacks and mixed fonts (italic and normal) are intentional especially in conversations

 

If there are any further changes or additions, I’ll post them in the A/Ns in the future. Continue reading :3

** Mild warning for some traumatizing in-depth of past bullyings(?) and references and also crazy mad woman who went psycho, just in case (since I kinda felt so depressed myself after reading my own chap lol)**

-Chapter 16-

The bell just rang, but JuYeon kept getting nervous as she made her way to her P.E class. Yup, the girl was very excited. Please, do note the sarcasm. Cue the eye roll. Who was she kidding, P.E was her worst class in high school. If there was that one subject you had to completely despise no matter how much you try and not to, then Jung JuYeon would proudly state lots and lots of reason in a very long list of ‘Why Jung JuYeon Hates Physical Education’ with a fiery passion. Care to hear? No? Okay never mind.

 

The chubby sixteen years old female blew a raspberry as her lower lip unconsciously jutted out in a pout. The girl stared down at her clothes. The shirt was an okay one, considering the large size gave her room to move around. The pants… She couldn’t even bear looking at the shorts the others were wearing. Not just because they look too short to be allowed to school, but also because JuYeon knew she couldn’t even slip them past her calves if she even bothered trying to wear one, so she opted for a long sweatpants for a safe measure, at least she doesn’t feel as exposed as to the shorts..

 

Even thinking about it made her self-esteem lower every single time, although the girl always seemed to have wear her façade of a nonchalant one or probably a calm one. She was just very good at controlling her facial expressions. Well, maybe an exception for ‘him’ though. How on earth did ‘he’ managed to break through her calmest and probably unaffected expression was kind of disturbing. It made her feel… Vulnerable. It was as though he can just effortlessly tear down her walls without even trying. JuYeon was only lucky ‘he’ didn’t ended up being a jerk, even after the peer pressures he must’ve received. That, or maybe he was raised better than all those other s and es who thought that if their parents own a famous company, then they own the world too. Lucky ‘him’ then. Or maybe herself, for having a good taste in her first love. She inwardly laughed at her stupid monologue.

 

Walking out of the stall silently, the girl unconsciously played with the hem of her shirt as she saw the other girls laughing and giggling which was probably because of boys they found hot or new designer clothes they got over the weekend or a two week vacation they got around some country around the globe somewhere. Honestly, she was so ing tired with their airheads of minds but she wasn’t someone of place to scold them or reprimand them for it. Who was she? The female was only ‘the lowest of the low’ and ‘a trash bag forgotten to be thrown’ or ‘principal was blind enough to see her picture when he was selecting a scholar into the school that only belonged to future heiresses with model figures’. Oh they didn’t hate her at all. Nope. They practically loathed her existence, staying away from her when she was about two metres away from them even.

 

She was only acknowledge by a number of seniors and juniors, and they were not more than a hand’s count, she thought.

 

“Hey piggy.” Someone sang song one of her many, many nicknames dubbed ever since… Well, she can’t even remember when it started anymore. Biting back a sigh, she turned to the person with a blank face, not giving away her thoughts. “Oh look, she really is a piggy! She even responded when I call!” A girl with a high pony tail laughed with her friend, and honestly, JuYeon didn’t even know what was so funny. She knew they were calling out to her as a taunt – it was so ing obvious. But they would call her sometimes just for the sake of it, to see if she would actually respond to it. It was stupid, but she found herself much more satisfied by just staying silent and blank as they go about their daily taunts and mockery. She wasn’t even fazed by it anymore, but she never said it didn’t hurt. The sixteen years old just found it easier to block them out. When the giggling bimbos didn’t do or say anything else, she bowed stiffly and walked towards the entrance that would lead her to their gym.

 

“Hey! Who told you that you can go away!” The first girl shouted at her, completely furious and probably humiliated that the other didn’t even seemed the least bit disturbed by the insult at all. “Yes?” Even JuYeon’s voice was blank and so bland, there was no soul in it, as if every second she was in there with them, her brain cells went cut short. “ing piece of ! When I say your name, you should reply to me at all times, do you understand?” Suddenly the former felt her hair roughly tugged into a fist, pulling to the very core of her hair roots and she let out a gasp. Obviously livid, the girl who had insulted her tugged more to the back, so that JuYeon would face her. She immediately schooled her face to a poker one when the furious girl glared deeply into her eyes. “Just because you have that brain to get in here doesn’t mean everyone’s going to like you. You oversized pig.” The one who had iron grip on her hair growled in to her ear.

 

The other girl just glared at JuYeon disgustingly, as if she was annoyed they had to even encounter her in the same room. “Come on, YeIn. She’s worthless. Let’s just go. It’s suffocating being in the same room as that.” Now that hurt her like salt in the wound. Calling her by ridiculous animal names were already insulting enough, but to be called out as if she was only a useless unanimated object was just… JuYeon was almost trembling, but she didn’t let her emotions get the best of her. After a sinister giggle, the former pushed her head away and left, not even caringthat the force sent JuYeon’s head to bounce on the cold and hard solid tiles of the changing room. She bit back a silent groan as her head got whirled into a fuzzy vision for a moment before exiting the room towards the gym in slow and cautious steps, not wanting to meet any of those hyenas with obviously too much PMS to chill.

 

“Ah, Miss Jung, you are late. And what should I do for late students?” The coach raised a single eyebrow as the gym echoed with the students’ snickers. “Punished!” Some shouted in perfect synchronization as her teacher nodded. Don’t get her wrong, Mr. Hoon was a really fair teacher – he didn’t care if you were president’s son or you can buy a whole island for yourself nor that you are a teacher’s pet (in which to some teachers, JuYeon was one of their favourites) but if you don’t abide by his or the school’s rules. He wouldn’t even bat an eyelash before letting you go off to run a couple of kilometres around the block or do gazillion types of 50 pushups within an hour or two, or if he was feeling a bit generous, you’d have to clean up after the other students’ mess after P.E  class ended.

 

“Yes and unfortunately for you, today’s punishment schedule wants you to run the gym block for five kilometres. You think you can finish that when class ends?” He asked, though the underlying tone under his voice told her that it was a challenge for her to argue with his punishment. Cursing all the hell in her inwardly, the girl only nodded once as she heard some of them scoffing at her response, obviously wanting to see her failing the punishment. After all, it was not an everyday case for her to be scolded from their teacher, so the current situation she was into was a total gossip-worthy amusement and to some, a form of sick entertainment to watch. ‘That’s what happens when they don’t have a life. Poor rascals.’ The chubby girl however only entertained herself with her thoughts. They might’ve mocked and taunt her daily, but it didn’t mean that she wasn’t having her fun deprived by them. If only they knew just how much she insulted them back in her mind, laughing at them for their careless and obviously poor character judgement of the school’s scholar.

 

But of course, EunHwa didn’t have to know any of it. It was funny since her best friend had carelessly nagged on about some students harassing the younger female in JongDae’s presence when she was on the phone, not realizing that JongDae had sneaked behind her and eavesdropped the two best friends’ conversation. JongDae, at that time after quite a few times talking with JuYeon due to the younger female oftenly seen hanging out with his geeky neighbor and became quite aquainted with, felt enraged that “some students are stupid and blind enough to bully” her when she was “so cute with the squirrel cheeks” he wanted “to squish” and “since JuYeon’s level of IQ is too amazingly high for their standards” that must’ve made them wheezing from envy. So the next day since that moment, the student council went super strict on the bullying rules. But the students still have their own way to torture her, even if the school’s rules bound them in chains.

 

JuYeon wanted to applaud for their bravery and determination.

 

Nah, maybe she should just stick to RLAB inside her head at their stupidity and immaturity.

 

Yep, that’s kind of better.

 

So off the girl went to jog around the perimeter, encouraging herself with useless thoughts that JooMyun might have a one percent looking her way when she lost some fat on her hips just for her own amusement. Not that he would even want to waste his sight on a nobody scholar in the first place anyway. The girl also somehow succeeded in blocking the annoying snickering and insults thrown around at her, she even heard some of the boys made bets on how long she would last. ‘Whew! That’s some serious money going on. I feel appreciated. Thanks, dungfaces. I now have to complete this in full 90 minutes of jogging for you to get five hundred thousand won, KyungWon and YongBi. You guys are going to make me blush.’ She cackled at her thoughts. After a few hundred metres, the girl, oddly enough, began thinking of High School Musical Sharpay’s ‘Fabulous’ song stuck inside her head. “That was so random.” She muttered to herself, shaking her head in confusion. She guessed that the sun was playing with her, in addition to the almost-concussion she got on the head earlier.

 

Her surroundings weren’t her main focus at the moment, and that was probably why the young girl didn’t even notice someone else marching up to catch up with her pace beside her. “Hello, JuYeon-ssi!” Someone greeted next to her, shocking the hell out of JuYeon who was deep into her realm, causing the female to gasp out loud before spinning around to the stranger and stopping dead on her tracks when she wanted to nag at the newcomer disturbing her space. “Hi.” He slowed his steps before stopping for a second as well, still smiling angelically at her. “JoonMyun-ssi… What are you doing here?” The girl asked out loud with a confused frown etched on her face, all sorts of ridiculous thoughts from earlier seemed to mush into nothing as she stared back at him unsurely.

 

However, the elder male chuckled in amusement, nudging her on the elbow to continue their round around the school gym. “I ran late from the principal’s office to get a note for Mrs Hemsworth as she has a personal matter to attend to. And Mr Hoon, you know how he is no matter what excuse. So I’ll be your jogging partner today!” JuYeon suddenly wasn’t so sure whether she was losing her breath panting hard because of the length she ran or the boy beside her leisurely jogging so as if he had no worries running alongside the school’s secret-but-not-so-secret outcast who most people wanted to do nothing with or even seen with together. “Oh, yes, I was late too. But… Why are you running with me? I mean, you can just go ahead first.” By all means, the sixteen years old female wasn’t blind unlike most of the over-privileged brats in this school, but she definitely noticed how he held himself back from jogging up front – as if his still steady breath wasn’t an obvious enough as it is. Did she also forget to mention? The boy was one of the soccer club’s main players, an almost impossible task for said male to be out of breath when he ran for about almost a kilometer while she was almost wheezing visibly as she panted.

 

“Oh, I… Sorry, did I make you feel uncomfortable?” He cleared his throat, looking a little apologetic, and JuYeon could have gotten a cardiac arrest when hi bit his lower lip as he drove her pheromones wild that spring. ‘No! That’s not what I meant. Gosh, boy don’t be so adorable or I swear to god I won’t regret what I might do next.’ JuYeon clenched her slightly swinging fists as she jogged. Actually, the one thing she was glad about that moment was that no one was there to eavesdrop on their conversation or spying in on their interaction since everyone were in their own classes and her other classmates were inside the gym. Maybe she could be a bit less tense when she actually had a chance to get a conversation – a decent conversation – with the boy who was practically clueless of her crush on him. Poor guy. She was sure JoonMyun would be morbid to find out the school’s scholar who was elephant’s long lost relative was his admirer. She pitied him.

 

“Um, I think you’re the one I should ask that.” She raised an eyebrow almost nonchalantly, so as the girl wasn’t even hyperventilating when a droplet of sweat rolled down from his forehead making him almost glow. ‘You, gah! Are you serious? Hormones, my buddy, don’t come out and play now, please behave.’ JoonMyun had a genuine curious face on when she said that. “Huh? But I’m perfectly fine. I don’t feel uncomfortable at all. Why would you think that?” His eyebrows were drawn into an arch of confusion, not sure of her words. ‘Child, are you serious?!’ She even forgot that she was jogging and panting between breaths. Oh she was absolutely sure that either her crush was really rainbows and sunshines like an angel without even knowing that ninety percent of their classmates and other students were out to get her, or that he really felt comfortable by her presence. The former sounded much more convincing to her than the latter. Assuming stuff won’t help anything for her unrequited crush, so let’s save her heart than eating a giant ice cream tub when she finds out she’s heartbroken.

 

“Nothing, nevermind.” She brushed it off, figuring out she didn’t want to rat it out that his schoolmates loathed her like they loathed peasants. Probably even worse. So the girl kept jogging, even though she definitely saw how curious and concerned the male beside her was when she dropped the subject. There was about half an hour when they should get back to change, but still, she found herself preoccupied by the boy’s small chat as they jogged around the gym. “So, how did you end up late? You were never late before.” He sent her a smile, a tease which was harmless, but enough to sent her heart into another frenzy attack. ‘Kim JoonMyun, behave yourself. I warned you, boy. My hormones aren’t working with my brain right now.’ “Well, how did you know? Maybe I was late before but you didn’t notice.” She taunted, her steps slowing down a bit to catch a breath, before resuming to a slightly fast pace, even though her lungs were screaming to stop for a minute or two. “Uh, I…” Was it her hallucination because she was tired or did her crush stuttered over his words? “I thought you were, I mean, aren’t you?” She must’ve been imagining since JoonMyun was glancing back smiling at her innocently.

 

“Hmm, yeah, doesn’t mean I’ve never been late before.” She shrugged and panted again, although they didn’t count on how many laps they did. He muttered something under his breath. “What?” She stared at him while jogging, only to be returned with a shake of his head. “Hey, JuYeon…” He called out her name, and the fact that not also was he one of the few people who would actually called her name but also because she had feelings for this boy made her feel funny as something swirled in her stomach achingly beautiful. She never would’ve thought that this day would even come. So the younger girl decided that hell come, but she wasn’t going to let the chance of a lifetime to converse with her first love go, even though her mind warned in alarm that she would suffer the consequences of her actions soon. “Yeah?” She asked when he suddenly stopped. His face was slightly red, probably from the sun glaring down at them and so were his ears – it was kind of adorable. “I-” He was cut off when the gym’s door opened, revealing a glaring female student and an unamused gym teacher.

 

“I hope you weren’t simply ignoring your punishment at hand and chit chat with each other because if so, then I’m going to give you your physical homework.” The teacher warned, and JoonMyun rubbed the nape of his neck. “I’m truly sorry, Mr. Hoon, I was concerned because she was already hardly catching her own breath, so I wanted her to stop for a moment before resuming our punishments. I didn’t mean to ignore your orders, teacher.” He bowed, and JuYeon was extremely flustered because the girl knew that ir wasn’t the case at all. He have had something else to talk about with her, but they were interrupted. “I… I apologize too, for I’m disturbing the class and him from doing his punishments. It won’t happen again, sir.” She bowed deeply as a sign of respect, and the teacher hummed as he narrowed his eyes at the pair of latecomers. “Very well, but I will still need you to clean up the storage room for the sports’ equipments. Understand?” If the other girl glaring daggers at the younger female wasn’t enough, she felt JoonMyun’s burdening gaze on her as he attempted to touch her shoulder. Immediately JuYeon pretended she didn’t notice his move and continued to jog. She knew she screwed up bad, and the other girl would probably blab it out to her ‘leader’ or something and JuYeon would be the favourite punching bag again.

 

She never spoke to him again.

 

her carelessness.

 

After the jog, she went to the changing room only for her to be greeted by a slap in the face as her number one hater stood in all her glory, glaring down at her with such fury JuYeon was sure she was going to burn. “What part of lowlife did you not understand you ing btich! You don’t belong with high classes li

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter