CHAPTER 09

One and Only
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Just an important note:

 

‘this means their thoughts’ “this means Korean conversation” “this means Chinese conversation” If the whole paragraphs are italicized, it means they’re flashbacks and mixed fonts (italic and normal) are intentional especially in conversations

 

If there are any further changes or additions, I’ll post them in the A/Ns in the future. Continue reading :3

 

 

-Chapter 09-

“So,” JuYeon drawled out, “who’s that girl you’re super secretive of?” JaeHyun choked on his Americano, and his sister let out an amused snort as she sipped on her double foam Mocha Latte. “Oh, well, um…” He stuttered, rubbing the nape of his neck bashfully. The elder female stared at him expectantly, a wide cheeky grin dancing on her lips. “She’s the new architect I told you about earlier this year. Remember?” He saw her nodding in recognition. “Ah that girl. How’s she?” She played with the lid of her cup.

 

JaeHyun looked out the window, the corners of his lips curling a bit as his dimples were visible to her keen eye that clearly showed her how he felt. “She’s… Strange. In a good way, I mean. She doesn’t talk a lot, and during the first few weeks, she almost never smiled; Always too serious and worked too hard. I asked Wendy noona about that since she’s the closest to her, but Wendy noona always told me get to know her better if I’m so curious. And I did.” He poked the small spoon in his cup before taking another sip.

 

“I always observed her when I see her and sometimes I get protective of her if she gets teased too much or being ridiculed upon because of her English accent.” JaeHyun chuckled at his older sister’s curious expression. “She’s from the UK in London, actually and seldom speaks Hangeul so…” He shrugged. “I actually had the chance to have a drink with her when we met at a convenience store. She was struggling to speak to the cashier and I just helped her out, well tried to. I think she was flustered. It was…” The young male struggled finding the right word. “Honestly, her face was so adorable when I just paid for her items and dragged her out. And you know what she did to me when we were outside? She slapped me. In the face.” He smirked at his sister’s dumbfounded face as she gawked openly at him.

 

“She what?” JuYeon muffled a fist to . She imagine pretty well of her brother’s situation though. What girl wouldn’t be confused by JaeHyun’s out of the moon gesture, to someone he wasn’t close enough to be of friend with at that? The poor girl must’ve been freaked out by him. “Yeah, I couldn’t believe it either and just stood there like an idiot. Then she started to nag at me in English. With her British accent. Told me I was stupid for paying for her items and whatnot. I think she was confused why I never tried to or belittle her unlike the others from our department. God, I have never wanted to thank you and hug you that time for applying at the US for me for university.” Both chuckled at the memory of JaeHyun receiving an acceptance letter to the US he had never applied for.

 

“That’s when I asked her out for coffee and then we started talking and I just… I don’t know. I feel comfortable with her just naturally, you know? I got to officially call her my girlfriend just months ago, actually. I talked to her about you a lot and she seems excited to meet you, noona.” JaeHyun leaned back against his seat as he smiled at her in content. The elder nodded, a bit proud of her brother who never had time to dwell into relationships because like her, he also shared the responsibility over their family and was too busy studying hard to get to where he could today.

 

After a moment’s silence, he spoke up again.

 

“What about you, noona?” The younger startled JuYeon with the question. “Huh?” JuYeon blinked caught off guard. “What about you? Come on, noona. Was there really no one that caught your eye?” JaeHyun looked at his sister calmly as she swallowed, her lips before tucking a few locks behind her ear. “I don’t know. I guess not in China, even though it’s been quite a few years. Really, Jae, unlike you, it’s hard to see them as someone more than friends. Besides, do you really think any guy would want the kind of woman who’s too busy with OTs instead of shopping? I doubt so.” She scoffed at herself.

 

This was the one trait JaeHyun disliked of his elder sister. JuYeon looked down on herself too much – to the point that her brother couldn’t even call it humble. It hurt his feelings knowing that she went through some of the worst times of her life like him at school, just because she used to be overweight, and misunderstood because of her poor family background. Life was really tough for them at that point of life, but it was a price well paid to get to where they could now.

 

“Well, I know that there was someone who actually does. If only you knew.” He muttered under his breath as JuYeon widened her eyes, body frozen as she turned to him. “What did you say?” She played with the hem of her sleeves. “Nothing.” He smiled nonchalantly, and she swore to herself she had heard his words.

 

The two siblings got out of the coffee shop and walked around their neighbourhood, just talking about random topics and sharing their thoughts before a woman called out JaeHyun’s name. “Jay?” Surprised, JuYeon just watched her brother greeting the woman before she noticed the way he smiled almost contentedly and even brighter than before, and the way his gaze seem to had held affection towards the other female was refreshing to watch as HuYeon had never seen him like that. She smiled on her own; “Noona, I want you to meet Heather Kwon, or Kwon DaHee, my girlfriend.” JaeHyun smiled as he held the younger woman’s hand, encouraging her by the side.

 

“It’s nice to meet you, DaHee. Or do you prefer me calling you Heather?” JuYeon teased the other a bit, noticing the slight pink hue on the younger’s cheeks. “Um… It’s nice to meet you too, JuYeon-ssi. I’ve heard a lot about you from Jay.” She has that slight accent when she spoke, JuYeon noticed. “Well, I’d love to say the same but sadly, Jay just told me about you just recently, so I’m sorry on his behalf.” She smirked at her brother’s offended glare, which then turned into a sheepish grin at his girlfriend. JaeHyun knew he was going to get a lot of teasing after DaHee had called him by his English name.

 

“So, what brings you to Busan?” They chatted as they strolled along the park, finding a couple of benches to sit on. “Ah, Jay invited me here. He said he wanted to show me around. It’s really nice here compared to the city; Calmer and not too busy. I like it here.” DaHee shared an appreciative gaze towards JaeHyun before turning back to JuYeon. JaeHyun was right about DaHee – the young architect really had an adorable accent when she spoke. The elder’s phone suddenly rang, causing her to excuse herself from the couple. “Sorry guys, got to go back home for a bit. I’ll go first. Enjoy your date.” She hugged her brother proudly and even surprised herself for hugging her brother’s girlfriend.

 

“See you soon, JuYeon-ssi.” DaHee bowed a bit as she stuttered over her words but was stopped by JuYeon who held her shoulders. “Of course we’ll see each other again. But if I’m going to see you for a very long time, you better call me unnie from now on. We clear, dongsaeng?” She patted the flustered lass’ head before strutting off, not without nodding her head in approval towards her younger sibling.

 

JuYeon chuckled to herself, taking a cab to the supermarket.

 

When she arrived towards her desired destination, the young woman immediately pushed a cart forward, ticking off things from the grocery list she and her mother had made the day before to stock up their home. “Hmm…” She hummed to herself as she reached near the confectionery aisle. “Ah, chocolates! Idiot, that’s a must.” She mumbled to herself while rolling her eyes, chuckling a bit before reaching out for a bag on the second top shelf at the confectionery section with myriads of types of the cocoa solid. “Ah, why do they have to put the most heavenly delicacies up so high?” ‘It’s like they know you’re short and mocked you, Yeonnie-ah.’ “The things I do for you, chocolate. The things I do.” She jumped up a bit before a hand helped her out, grabbing the bag of chocolates and handed them to her.

 

Blinking, the woman froze at the sight of the male before her.

 

‘Why the hell is he here? In Busan? He ing lives with the rich in Gangnam.’

 

“Here,” JoonMyun placed it inside her cart with an easy smile, like nothing had happened between them weeks prior.

 

“Mr. Kim.” She almost breathed out his name, feeling so awkward as she just stood there, back stiff against the shelf, in front of her was the man she avoided like the plague. JoonMyun sighed. “We’re not at work, baby doll.” He reprimanded her softly, only with a return of her stiff nod. ‘Is he trying to me over or something? It’s really not funny right now.’ She felt her temper slowly rising. “Right.” She cleared walking back to her cart and walked away. “Thanks, JoonMyun-ssi. I’ll just be paying up and leave.” She bowed her head and proceeded towards the counter, waiting for the cashier to finish scanning her items. ‘Fate, if I hate you now, am I considered an Atheist?’ She sighed. The whole time, JoonMyun just stood behind her in a silent manner.

 

Before she knew it, the cashier took a black card that definitely was not hers when she was searching for money from her Rebecca Minkoff’s tassel.

 

The next moment went with her marching towards JoonMyun as he took her paid items – that he voluntarily paid – while she was so close to snapping at him no matter how calm her demeanor displayed. “JoonMyun-ssi, you can’t just do that. Those are my stuff and I will pay them with my money. You don’t have to pretend anything. You’re a gentleman; alright, that’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter