CHAPTER 04

One and Only
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Just an important note:

 

‘this means their thoughts’ “this means Korean conversation” “this means Chinese conversation” and all italicized sentences with/without 'this' or "this" will be in flashback form

If there are any further changes or additions, I’ll post them in the A/Ns in the future. Continue reading :3

 

-CHAPTER 04-

“What do you mean he’s there? I thought he’s in Seoul still managing his family’s main hotel there? I didn’t remember JongDae mentioning anything about JoonMyun flying there. Either he forgot to tell me, or he intentionally didn’t tell me or I forgot about it. That’s almost impossible considering JoonMyun’s like, one of the bachelors of the year. Have you seen? His pictures are all over the media – well not really – but you know what I mean?” The woman on the other line said as JuYeon heard the distinct sound of a baby’s cry at the back. “I know, babe. I know what you meant. But babe, he’s the CEO of our partnering company! That means there’s a lot of possibilities for us to run into each other. A lot.” The younger of the two sighed, leaning her head against the wall.

 

She was blocking herself from everyone at that moment, fibbing a partially-true of an excuse from work to her boss, LuHan and Feng. ‘Yeah, just like what you did years ago when you fell. Hard.’ Her sub-conscious poked her mind as a reminder. She couldn’t breathe. She couldn’t think. Every of her thoughts are a fuzzy mess, not to mention the current massive wave of feelings that are running through her whole being at the moment. She blankly stared at the vast and limitless azure above her. JuYeon was at the rooftop, on the phone with her one and only best friend back in Seoul; Yoon EunHwa, a happily married woman and now mother to her sixteen months old baby boy, the father being the best thing in the world that could ever happen to her best friend who goes by the name Kim JongDae, or more known as Chen – one of the youngest rising stars in the world of music composition.

 

The only downside to that?

 

Kim JongDae is Kim JoonMyun’s younger cousin.

 

You get the picture.

 

With that statement, one can only imagine why JuYeon didn’t attend the baby shower for baby Kim JiHwan and why JuYeon got to see her godson for only a handful of times whenever she came back to Seoul. Small world? Nope, JuYeon would prefer the term ‘Fate’s just being a to me’. Her personal life was actually not that complicated, if you throw away her of a man who was her supposed biological father always appearing out of who-knows-where and threaten the family’s safety in exchange of money, crazy high school es that ought to get her even after everyone graduated years ago and of course her very unlucky loveless life that has more twists physically and emotionally than dramas that both EunHwa and Feng bugged her to watch.

 

“So, what are you going to do? Run away to Alaska?” EunHwa was joking, yes, but they both know that JuYeon had a habit of running away to avoid her emotional triggers, and JoonMyun just happened to be the bigger one, weather he knew that or not. Not that the female was going to tell him that anyways. “I… I don’t know. For ’s sake, he has a fiancée, EunHwa. He shouldn’t be acting like that to any other woman that’s not her.” EunHwa went silent from the other line. JuYeon kept on her outburst. “What he was doing… It was, he was confusing. It’s confusing and I don’t like it one bit. I’ve promised myself that I don’t want anything to do with all of this anymore. Not after 18 years of stupidity. He can’t do this to me…” She bit back a sob, closing her eyes as she let out a worn out sigh.

 

“I know, Yeonnie. But take it from your reaction earlier, we both know how big of an effect he has on you and that as much as you don’t want to, your heart is still not willing to let him go yet. Or maybe at all.” Her best friend’s conclusion set the truth, the bitter truth that she desperately wanted to throw away. She bit her lower lip harshly. ‘Funny when reality really slaps you in the face.’ She wanted to scream out her frustration. “I’ll call you back, Eun. I need time on my own.” ‘And I need air.’ “Thanks for spending some time for my burdens. Kiss my godson for me, huh?” She hung up weakly.

 

‘Then what was I doing all this time? Two years, JuYeon. Two ing years. No scrolling any of his social accounts, no pictures of him, no mentioning his name, no daydreaming of him, no more useless hoping. Just no existence of him in your life.’

 

‘Then why does it still have the same effects on you the moment you see him again, JuYeon?’ Her subconscious reprimanded mockingly.

 

JuYeon was tired. So, so tired of all this. All those unwanted dramas during high school and getting crushed was taking a huge toll on her and if the people didn’t know what really went down during that traumatic period of her life back at school, they would just call her dramatic and annoying and coward for running away to another country just for the sake of avoidance. She didn’t have to ask anyone why.

 

‘Because those two years wasn’t moving on. Because those two years was just you running away.’

 

 

“Hey, JuYeon. You going to our first reunion?” EunHwa asked as she applied her lotion. The woman in question who was staring out the window snapped her head towards her best friend. “You want me to be honest? No, EunHwa. What if I can’t control myself? You know how I act everytime I saw him, right?” JuYeon just continued to stare out the windows as she vent out her worries, no emotions displayed on her face, but her thoughts run wild.

 

Hearing this, EunHwa sighed and sat beside her bestfriend in dilemmas. “Hey look. You don’t have to meet him, okay? You could just avoid meeting him. I’m going to be there too, remember?” EunHwa grabbed her hand in reassurance. “Yeah, and like you won’t be busy with JongDae.” The younger of the two raised her eyebrows, challenging the female brunette who was blushing furiously. “Yah, just because I’m not single anymore, doesn’t mean I’m getting rid of you, Barbie,” EunHwa retorted making the other groan at the nickname. “I told you to stop calling me that!” JuYeon hated that stupid name which EunHwa gave, reminding her of her stupid attempt she pulled with an instant blonde hair dye DIY back when they were kids (in which she doesn’t remember where or when did she even got her hands on) because she loved the cartoon so much she wanted a hair like Barbie (she hated her plain black hair). The next time EunHwa came over, she was in tears because she got scared of JuYeon’s self-attempt result of a hair dye. They were seven.

 

She shuddered at her young naïve stupidity.

 

To tell the truth, JuYeon was really proud of her best friend who was finally on to the next big step with her eight years’ boyfriend, JongDae. They were the sweetest of the sweethearts back then, and now still going strong, especially after he proposed to her a few months ago. “But really EunHwa, I’m so happy for you. You’re going to be someone’s wife in the next seven months.” JuYeon expressed her pride in the elder female, hugging the woman by the waist.

 

“I can’t believe myself too. I mean, look at me then, and look at me now. I used to be a lame geek with stupid gigantic glasses the size of half my face, probably, and wear weird clothes when we were in that teen phase and now… I’m going to get married. I’m scared, anxious, worried and happy and contented at the same time that it’s terrifying, Yeonnie. I’m afraid that I’m going to fail him as a wife.” JuYeon heard the insecurities and stress in EunHwa’s voice, and she looked at the woman’s left ring finger in which placed a single silver band with three diamonds, two of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter