Onions

Writing About Love

Namjoon had been staring at the pictures in the hallway when the door cracked and Jin reappeared. They locked eyes but Jin moved passed him without a word and began preparing something in the kitchen. Namjoon hovered by the entrance of the kitchen but the bar blocked him from seeing exactly what Jin was making. A few minutes later Jin threw him an apron and gestured over next to him.

“I would never make a guest cook so consider this a mock apology.”

“Jin, you know I’m-”

“Stop while you’re ahead. Let things cool down for a bit and wait for all of the adrenaline to wear out of your system first. I don’t want something that means nothing to you and what kind of pushover would I be if I accepted it right now? You’d think it was okay to walk all over me from now on.” He tried to smile but it came out looking more like a grimace.

“At least you’re back to the Mom I know.” Jin rolled his eyes but the grimace actually neared a smile this time and Namjoon took it as a sign that things weren’t irreparable. “Where’s Yoongi?”

“He’s asleep. Doesn’t look like he’s slept at all for weeks though and he’s probably not had a decent meal in months if that’s how you think you cut an onion.” Namjoon flushed but tried to make his cuts look better under the scrutiny of Jin. “Let me show you.” He grabbed Namjoon’s hands around the knife and began slicing even pieces off every time. “You’re just as bad at cooking as I remember.”

“Well I may have other things on my to-do list before cooking.”

“Do you remember Yoongi’s birthday party a few years back? I had been sick and you took it upon yourself to try and make the cake?”

“His face when he saw it,” Namjoon groaned as he remembered, “I like to keep that memory buried. Thanks for bringing it up again.”

“It looked more like a pink rock than anything. The icing couldn’t quite cover up the burnt mass underneath.” Namjoon elbowed him to stop the ribbing and Jin’s hands left his on the knife. “That’s how you cut someone.”

“You deserve it.” He stuck out his tongue in a bout of childishness and Jin rolled his eyes and moved back to preparing the meat he had from earlier.

“So how’re things going over in the house? Is Yoongi stopping by more or living out of his studio still since you’ve taken it upon yourself to all but kick him out?” He didn’t say it in a mean way but Namjoon could sense the truth in those words and seemed to shrink because of it.

“I have a feeling things will be changing very soon with Jimin back in the picture.” Jin’s head lifted and his eyes were questioning. Namjoon figured they had enough mutilated onion pieces that Jin could salvage so he leaned against the sink after rinsing his hands.

“He said something earlier but I figured it was just him pining after him still since they ran into each other the day before last.”

“Jimin decided to be the bigger man and called Yoongi yesterday to meet up.”

“So they're all good?”

“I assume so. I was kind of otherwise occupied.” He shrugged.

“I saw them yesterday again. Well, Jimin and Taehyung. They come in all the time but I never realized who they were until Yoongi made the connection.”

“I’m sure you and Taehyung in a room went over well. He stands to disrupt everything someone like you believes in. At least Jimin has manners. I’m not sure why they ended up so attached.” Jin bristled a bit but he tried to calm it down.

“Actually, Taehyung came over last night.” Namjoon’s jaw dropped at that and he struggled to reclaim his sense of calm.

“You- you didn’t.” Jin mirrored the shrug Namjoon gave him earlier and was thankful Namjoon couldn’t see the smirk on his face. It was nice to make the other squirm and it’s not like he had any place to be jealous.

“I actually did. Where’s the duo now?”

“I don’t know. Taehyung is probably out ing someone else and Jimin is… did Yoongi call Jimin?”

“Not that I know of? He could’ve before he showed up here though.”

“I don’t have his number anymore. Let me go grab Yoongi’s phone. I’ll make sure he knows everything is okay.” Namjoon meandered across the room and away from the delicious smell that was started to drift through the house to get to Yoongi. He pushed the cracked door open a bit and looked in before following with the rest of himself. He wasn’t known for being graceful and he didn’t want to wake up Yoongi. He was always one to catnap instead of getting an actual full rest and he would wake up at the drop of a pin.

There was a low buzzing filling the room and Namjoon saw the glint of light signaling the location of the phone in question. He reached over and pulled it from the pocket of Yoongi’s sweatshirt that was discarded off the side of the bed and saw that Jimin had just called.. 14 times.

“Oh .” He backed out of the room and dialed the number back when he got out into the hallway. It only rang twice before Jimin’s frantic voice filled the line.

“Yoongi, where have you been? I need help, it’s Tae, please, oh god.

“Calm down, what’s happened?”

“Nam-Namjoon?” Jimin hiccupped through what sounded like tears. “You have to get here.”

“Where are you? What’s wrong?”

“It’s Taehyung. I’m at your house. He’s passed out. Just please get here.” It took a few moments to get the sentences out but Namjoon assured him they’d be there as soon as possible before going to wake up Yoongi and pulling him into the kitchen. If anything, the bags under his eyes had gotten worse and Namjoon was sure the news Jimin needed help did nothing to aleve that.

“Guys?”

“We’ll be back soon. Jimin needs help. Taehyung, really.” Jin pulled off his apron and pulled on the jacket slung over a chair before ushering them towards the door.

“We’ll take my car.”

“You have a car?”

“I don’t use it often but I do have one just in case I want to go further than work.” Yoongi didn’t care about Namjoon’s questions and shoved between them.

“Let’s go.”