Jungkook

Writing About Love

Jungkook was laying on his back in his dorm listening to a new contemporary album that had just dropped when he was startled from his position by a loud banging on the door. He immediately thought it was someone his roommate had managed to piss off but he rolled over and walked to the shaking door quickly. After all his strength training he wasn’t too daunted by the fact that there was someone angry on the other side and he hadn’t done anything to get on someone’s bad side.

When Hoseok flew threw the barely opened door he was surprised but also happy to see the other. He hadn’t seen him around since the end of his last year when Hoseok had ended the dance around his tutor and finally moved the last of his essentials into Namjoon’s place. He could only assume things went south there but it still didn’t explain why Hoseok had chosen to come to him instead of one of his other friends closer to his age.

“Hey, I guess. I haven’t seen you around much.” He walked over to his closet and pulled a box half ravished of chocolates before selecting one and placing it between his teeth to hold onto as he held the box out to Hoseok. Their love of chocolate was something they shared and their old room reflected that, with wrappers to be found everywhere you looked until inspection days. They weren’t technically supposed to have food in their rooms but no one paid that rule any attention and you were safe until bugs started appearing.

“Jungkook, can you please come sit down.” The younger boy slowly placed the box back and took a seat on his roommate's bed.

“What’s wrong Hobi?” Hoseok winced and Jungkook looked at him properly for the first time since he had come barreling into the dorm room.

He looked like . His hair was strewn many ways as though the wind found it funny to see how many different ways it could part it and his eyes had dark circles under them. Hoseok still smelled pleasant but Jungkook always had a preference for the type of cologne he wore and they both took pride in their hygiene, personal crisis or not. He unwrapped his chocolate and stared at the man across from him who looked like he was struggling finding the right words.

“It’s about Namjoon.” Jungkook got up and pressed a piece of chocolate to Hoseok’s lips before biting into his own piece and sitting next to the other.

“I figured it would be. You came to me because I knew him too?” Hoseok nodded and finished his piece before continuing.

“I don’t know what to do Kook.”

“Maybe explain a bit more than that?” He smiled to let Hoseok know he was teasing.

“I don’t think I love him. I want to so badly but I can’t bring myself to trust him and we just aren’t getting along anymore and I think it’s mostly my fault. I just don’t think I’m ready for a relationship.”

“You’ve been saying that for well over a year though.” Jungkook knew he had to keep his sentences short and coaxing until Hoseok finally cracked open. They had never been truly close in the sense that he got from Namjoon and his roommate but when Hoseok had been placed in Jungkook’s room they had formed a bond that was more protective than anything. Hoseok had just had his heart broken when he was placed with the younger who was trying to figure out his life. Jungkook had flourished under Hoseok’s instruction and pushed Hoseok to open up more about himself. Jungkook had come out that year and changed his major from pre-med to art and Hoseok pulled his failing grades into B’s and graduated thanks to his tutor and then gained the courage to move passed his other failed relationships to try and make things work with Namjoon.

“I just really think I need to focus on improving more of myself and becoming happy with what I am before I demand others to make me happy. No matter what I try, I can’t bring myself to be happy anymore. I thought that all I wanted was to graduate and then find love but now I can’t keep a job and whatever I have with Namjoon is winding out.”

“Have you tried talking to him about this?”

“No.” He looked down with a look of guilt and Jungkook laid down and wiggled until his head rested on Hoseok’s thigh. He looked up into Hoseok’s eyes and waved his hand, encouraging him to continue without speaking. “We got into a fight. A big one. About his best friend.”

“What about his best friend?”

“I may have accused him of sleeping around.” Jungkook groaned and kicked his feet out so he was sprawled across the entire bed.

“You doing something like that is only going to drive him further away Hobi.”

“I know. I also may have not let him say we’re in a relationship.”

“Why would you possibly do that?” Jungkook shot up and twisted to grab Hoseok’s shoulders.

“I thought if he didn’t have the same title as the others he wouldn’t follow the same path they did. I know that it doesn’t make sense but it did in my head and it’s gone on so long that I can’t take it back at this point.” Jungkook gave his shoulders a shake in frustration.

“You’re so stupid.”

“Thanks for the encouragement.”

“No problem. But, really? I think you’re right. It sounds like the problems are originating from you and until you figure yourself out I don’t really think you guys will get any better. He can’t help you at this point. I’m sure he’s tried to convince you but even a thousand excuses won’t make it past your defences if you don’t want them too. Talk to him about what you’re feeling and then come back to me, guru of all things relationships.”

“You’ve never even been in a relationship.”

“But that is the only thing you fought out of what I said. I can be objective about them because I’m not in one.” Hoseok pushed Jungkook’s hands off of his shoulder’s and then stood up. “Where are you going?”

“I’ve got to get back and talk to him.”

“You don’t want to stay and hang out even though I’ve been lending you my ear?”

“Won’t your roommate mind?”

“I don’t see him around most days. I think he has a girlfriend a year below us.” Hoseok milled it over before flashing a lopsided smile and plopping right back down into his earlier spot.

“What do you want to do?”

“I’m picking out a movie.” Jungkook moved off of the bed and grabbed a random one before pushing it into the player he had at the foot of his bed.

“Way to give me a choice.”

“Shut up, you’ll like anything I pick.” Jungkook stuck his tongue out and folded himself up against Hoseok. He missed the easy conversation and playfulness that Hoseok provided when they weren’t separated or talking about serious things. They may have never been best friends but they were solid rocks of support and nothing could make them drift away from each other. Jungkook was asleep before the beginning credits finished and Hoseok was just behind him, falling into the deepest sleep he had in a long while. He finally knew what direction to take without a doubt. It may hurt Namjoon but Hoseok needed more times like this and more friends to teach him trust before he tried to jump into something more.