Weight of the Wish

The Wish of Existence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was nearing 7 in the evening, and Kyungsoo was walking up the hill to his house. Up ahead he could see his sister Soojung. He envisioned on calling out to her and tell her the good news, but then reminded himself of the what happened early that morning. He slowed down, allowing to let it be for a while. He couldn't help that he was a flawed being. He'd do his best to make the lives of his sisters easier. Though inside his gut, he remained unsure on whether it was guilt, duty, or a sense of love.

 

At dinner, the family of three dines on fried vegetables with modest servings of cut meat, along with rice and tea. Whilst others would consider it a simple meal, the family was visibly delighted at the taste of the meat, even if it was bought on a last minute sale, and was one day from expiration – meat was a luxury.

“Noona.” Kyungsoo called out reluctantly, having finished his meal first. Meanwhile, Sooyeon was still on-trail to render her plate completely empty.

“Yes, Kyungsoo.” Replied the eldest, not looking up from her meal.

“I got the job.”

“That's great news.” Soojung stated, though not completely elated as the fair student had imagined.

“And I've quit the drama club.”

Both sisters ceased their consumption to gaze at their brother, glaring.

“Why?” asked Sooyeon.

“I kind of...well...I accidentally argued with Jongin.”

 

Could he call it an argument? Technically he laid hands on the boy when he shouldn't have, that would have lead to an argument, no?

 

“So, just because you disagree with somebody, from an entirely different club, you leave it? Are they kicking you out, if that's what it is, I am going to go there tomorrow and - ”

“No, no, no, nothing like that, Noona, I swear.”

“Then?” queried Soojung.

“I just didn't enjoy it anymore.”

“But you loved it so much before...” sighed Sooyeon, reminiscing the day Kyungsoo came back from school, first year of high school, elated that he joined the drama club. A high but maturing voice squeaking happily 'Noona, guess what! Noona, guess what!' Sooyeon smiled at the memory, now truly a distant memory “why did you change your mind?”

“I like drama, but I think the school's program is different from what I had in mind. Who knows...maybe there are other classes in town, I'll check the notice board at town hall this weekend. Ah, which reminds me, I have a paper for you to sign, it's for work.”

“Okay, give it to me after dinner and I'll look it over.”

“Don't look too hard, I need you to sign it in order to work.” Kyungsoo looked across him, where he found his sister smiling at him and giving him a thumbs up, before heartily returning to the meal.

 

The weekend came faster than Kyungsoo had anticipated. The day before, Friday, had gone in a neutral yet swift way that he almost could not believe, but was forced to, somehow. He had his form signed up first thing, as soon as he arrived. Chanyeol was present, making the day more bearable.

But, Jongin remained the same, or even more distant than before, Kyungsoo could not tell.

Whilst they sat at different polar sides of the classroom, during change of class, or in the corridors at break and lunchtime, the boy would not even turn his head, in any angle or degree to look at him. Every speck of dust, string of cobweb or cloud in the sky was far more interesting than he was. It was as if he stopped existing in the handsome boy's mind.

 

It hurt him. He thought, foolishly so, that they could be friends. He approached him the day before, when he went to buy the cable for his phone. He asked him, endearingly, to return to the club and even insisted.

 

But...

 

...reality struck him hard with a sledgehammer. The desire he had for the boy, to be a part of his exclusive galaxy, shattered so abruptly – like a big bang, except no trace was left, nothing to carry over. After what he had done... who would wish to acknowledge a homoual like him? He ceased to exist, like many do, whether in mind or in body, they are forced to be extinguished.

 

Kyungsoo found himself fortunate to find a friend in Luhan and Chanyeol, who understand and support him. Had he not...he would not feel alive, in all senses of the phrase.

But he could not dawdle in the small tragedies of his heart. He had the day to seize.

 

Saturday

 

After waking up early and leaving breakfast for both of his sisters. Kyungsoo rushed out the house to go the eastern part of the town, where the town hall was and where the 24 hour supermarket was situation nearby. As instructed by Jongwoo, he wore black slacks, black socks, rubber shoes, accompanied by a white button up and wearing a blue puffed jacket with faux-fur ts on the hood. The automatic doors opened and a beep sounded as he entered the establishment.

He saw, to his left, where the counter was, Jongwoo, along with a red-haired young man. They both greeted Kyungsoo with a small bow and a nod.

“Kyungsoo, you're here, and early,” Jongwoo declared, beckoning him to come behind the counter, “I was just telling Henry here, say hello,” the boy raised his hands momentarily, smiling at Kyungsoo, “that you'll be the new boy, much to his relief.”

“I'm taking more lessons after school – violin, dance... I don't have the time to take as many shifts as I used to, so...”

“Wow,” Kyungsoo stared in awe, wondering at the myriad of capabilities of the boy “you take that many extra subjects? My sister ought to do the same.”

“You're Soojung's brother?” asked Henry, eyeing Kyungsoo curiosly. Kyungsoo nodded. “I never would've guessed – you look nothing alike.” the red-haired boy commented bluntly.

“Yes, I am the homely one of all my siblings.”

“No, no!” Henry was quick to retract his statement, “I meant, I was surprised, I mean – you have big lips and buggy eyes and they have small lips and cute eyes, you know.”

Kyungsoo visibly deflated at the comparison drawn to his sisters. Henry may have said no, but he didn't seem to truly disagree.

Jongwoo struck the back of the red-headed boy's head, “Henry, please shut up.”

“Sorry...” Henry rubbed the back of his head, bowing.

“No problem.” Kyungsoo answered, though not truly meaning it, feeling truly inferior to having being brought down a peg from his sisters.

 

Kyungsoo then passed the form to Jongwoo, who, in exchange, gave Kyungsoo an ironed out, orange and dark green polo with the supermarket's logo on it and a key. He was instructed to leave his items in the free locker in the back and officially start his job.

 

His first shift went by quite uneventfully. Though customers did come in consistently, there wasn't a lot of excitement to be had. For one half of the shift, Henry minded the till, while Kyungsoo took charge of inventory, restock, and organising. Jongwoo in the meantime remained in his office. Then, around midday, Henry and Kyungsoo changed their position, one at the till, the other organising the stock.

 

Aroun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter