The Love We Shared

Fade Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yuta had just sent you home and as you leant against the wall, you watched as the sun disappeared through Tokyo’s skyscrapers, the last of the sun rays reaching through the cracks of the skyscrapers to reach your eyes, casting your entire body in the last of today’s rays. You stood and watched the sunset, but a buzzing from your phone distracted you. Reaching into your bag to pick up the sleek sliver device, Hansol’s name flashed and you swiped the green button after a few moments.

“Hello?”

“Hello Hansol, what’s up?”

“I need to talk to you, where are you?”

“I’m home now.”

“Ok stay put right there, I’m coming.”

Before you could give a reply, the phone went dead and your world was plunged into darkness, the sun having completely set during span of your short conversation. Something about the words “I need to talk to you” set fear into your body and you imagined every worst thing that you could happen. But at the same time, it was also the perfect opportunity for you to tell him all the things you should have said a long time ago. Taking a deep breath, you found the courage bubbling up inside you and right at that moment, a figure burst through your apartment.

“Liz where are you?” Knowing your house like his own, he felt along your wall until he found your switch and flicked it. The lights around your house blinked a few times before revealing your figure standing in the middle of the living room with your head bowed. In that final moment you steeled your nerves and decided that now was the time.

“Liz what’s wrong?” Hansol walked up to you and you met his eyes with your own as your courage finally spewed out of you.

“Hansol, I know you have something to say to me but I do too so if you would, please let me say my piece first. If not now I’m not sure when I would be able to find the courage to say all these things to you. So before my courage wavers, let me begin.”

You didn’t even give him time to register before you began. Like a recorder, you repeated every single thing that you had told Yuta just hours before at the café and this time, you didn’t leave a single detail out. In between, you also apologised for leaving him so abruptly. You came clean with him and you decided to admit to your mistake as well. You held Hansol’s gaze the entire time, hoping to convey your sincerity through both your words and your eyes. He meant the world to you but you were prepared to lose him because he had the right to know. If it meant losing him, you were ready.

“I know you might be angry Hansol; you have every right to be. So if… if…if you want to walk out of the door and never have anything else to do with me, you can do so now and I won’t blame you. I don’t have the right to and I can’t. Just… do whatever you want.”

You squeezed your eyes shut, preparing for searing words that would burn into your heart or for the sound of footsteps to move further and further away from you before hearing the door slam, the last sounds of rejection and disappointment echoing in your apartment.

Yet all he had for you was one question.

“Do you really love me Liz?”

A voice in your head screamed at you to make him stay, it told you that you really did love him. It was then when you realised that it was your heart speaking to you and when words didn’t work, action

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter