Home

Fade Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When you open your eyes hours later, you were greeted by the dark blue skies, the white clouds no longer visible. All you could see in the distance was a shade of navy blue and you could feel the plane making it’s descend, the pressure gradually building in your ears. When you looked out of the window once again, you could see the bright city lights of Tokyo. At first they were all a blur of white lights but as the craft got closer to the ground, you began to make out lights of different colours and distinctive building shapes. When the craft finally hit the asphalt, you closed your eyes as you listened to the sound of the wheels dragging on the asphalt and you only opened your eyes when you began to hear people shuffle around. Still sleepy, you let others get off the plane first. When the last of the people began to trickle out, you picked up your bag and headed out and of course you didn’t forget to thank the staff on the way out. You put on your black shades and moved your hair to the sides, effectively covering up your puffy face.

When you finally emerged into the airport hallways, you thought you were greeted with relative silence and with the little human traffic, clearing immigration took less than 15minutes and here you were, standing in front of the conveyor belt, waiting for your luggage to arrive.

You looked around your surroundings and all you could see was a few sleepy travellers like yourself, some of them with kids already had their kids fast asleep in their hands and they themselves tried to stifle a yawn back. What caught your attention though, was this man a few belts down. He wore a cap and a mask and you wondered why he made such an effort to cover up so much in the sweltering summer heat. He had his eyes trained on his phone screen so all you could see was to top of his black cap.

Moving your eyes back to the conveyer belt, you spotted your sliver luggage amongst the rest and you swiftly moved to collect it. As you headed to the giant automated doors, you could see from the corner of your eyes that the same male you were eyeing before was walking out as well, his blue luggage in tow. He kept his face to the floor, walking in a hasty manner like he was avoiding being noticed by people. You exited first with him right behind you as you could hear his steady footsteps fall behind you. Feeling your phone buzz in your pocket, you slowed down to reach into your pocket to fish it and right at that moment, two kids chasing one another appeared in your view and in shock, you took a step backwards and crashed into the said male from before. You heard his wallet drop, the contents spilling out of the brown leather case.

“Oh my gosh I’m so sorry.”

You turned around and bent to help him pick up his stuff. You heard him mumble what sounded like “It’s fine” through his thick black mask but you weren’t paying attention. Your eyes were drawn to a single Polaroid on the floor and the girl in the photo was unmistakably you. It was the last p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter