Did I Want To Know?

Fallen

 Youngjae couldn’t scratch the smile off of his face all day. He was unable to concentrate on the lessons because of the happiness the elder gave him that morning. He was so ready to finish school for that day and meet Jaebum in order to walk him home. He kept going to the university’s bathroom to make sure he looked good and nothing was stuck between his teeth. Yugyeom got a notice of how excited his friend was. In one of the breaks, he mentioned it as well;

  'Why are you so vain?' he asked as they arrived at the queue of people who were all waiting to get to the university’s cafeteria.

  'Mh?' Youngjae made the sound as he sipped some of his juice through a straw.

  'You always look at yourself whenever you pass something that mirrors your face. I mean I don't mind it, you're just weird doing it'

 The elder blushed and awkwardly laughed. Of course he had no will to tell Yugyeom the reason why he always wanted to make sure his appearance was on point had a lot to do with him secretly admiring Im Jaebum. At least that was what he thought it all was.

 Thinking about the devil, the light brow haired stopped at the end of the queue with his girlfriend on his side. As Youngjae noticed them, he quickly averted his eyes, and with empty glances, he stared straight in front of them. Yugyeom seemed so much happier. He shouldered the elder with an immense smile on his face, however, the other knew what he wanted and he had no will to take another look at them again.

  'I’ll ask her out. Right. Now' Yugyeom claimed determined and he would have set off to the girl, if Youngjae didn’t stop him.

  'Are you stupid? Do you think she would accept your invitation with his boyfriend on her side? Well, no' he quietly scolded him.

  'Of course she would. What? Are you jealous?' Yugyeom assumed.

  'Hell no. I just don’t want you to get rejected' the black haired folded his arms in front of his chest.

  'Ah, don’t worry Youngjae-yah, she won’t reject me' Yugyeom patted the other’s shoulder, and stepped a few steps towards the girl, but the elder made him stop again.

  'I really am begging you for not asking her on a date' he said with a sore face.

  'WHY? Why are you keeping me back from approaching the woman of my life? Why don’t you want me to take a step closer to her? I seriously start to think that you…' Yugyeom stopped talking. He thought over the meaning of his sentence he wanted to add. He couldn’t assume that of his best friend. Youngjae was afraid of what just popped up in the younger’s mind. He was terrified of the worst.

  'What?' he timidly asked. 'What have I done?'

  'You have fallen for her, haven’t you? And want to steal her from me'

 The two guys could have walked a few steps closer to the counter, but they both were frozen. Yugyeom started to think that the silence meant the truth. In turn, Youngjae was only relieved.

  'Come on, you know I would never ever do that to you. She isn’t my type at all though' he calmed the bleached haired with a harsh laugh.

 Oh, if he knew…

 And secretly Youngjae wished he had enough courage to tell Yugyeom how he felt. Although he wasn’t really sure about it either, he wanted to pour his heart out to someone. Especially now, that he got a slight feeling, his interest towards Jaebum started to change into something more forceful.

 

 Just as Youngjae imagined, he was standing at the front of the university, waiting for Jaebum. Due to that they didn’t discuss the time, and the younger had no idea when the light brown haired would end his day, he wasn’t worried. He was rather assertive and confident.

 It didn’t take more than ten minutes to hear a loud noise coming from the entrance. Suddenly six seniors stepped out of the building. They were shouting and laughing so loud, anyone in the neighborhood could have heard them. Youngjae gifted their joy with a light smile. But that smile immediately disappeared as he noticed a familiar face among them. Im Jaebum. He was walking with an arm put around the girl’s shoulder. He didn’t seem someone who would go home in a younger’s company.

 Yougjae was frozen. He wanted to leave so bad before the elder would notice him, but he couldn’t move his legs. His regard stuck to that group and their actions. As they passed by Youngjae only a few steps away from him, he could catch a glance. A glance that recognized him and stopped for a second. That glance belonged to a face that suddenly became so serious and surprised.

 The noisy environment lowered its sound. There were only two pairs of eyes which between the tensions seemed even louder than it really was. One of them was truly regretful, while the other was disappointed instead of angry.

  'Jaebum-hyung, won't you come? What are you doing?' a shout distracted the silence.

 The elder was pulled away out of Youngjae’s sight, who was glad about it. He didn’t want to look at him. Not because he hated him or was mad at him, but because the disappointment he felt just made the younger certain about his feelings. He wouldn’t have cared, he wouldn’t have been sad, he would have felt betrayed and the butterflies in his stomach wouldn’t have suddenly died if he didn’t like Jaebum that much.