Friends

Fallen

Choi Youngjae was sitting at the table in their dining room. He was eating his breakfast cereal as fast as he could. He was so late from school. He kept looking at his watch in hope of the time would slow down. There was no way he could still reach the bus.

  'Great, I have to cycle today too' he mumbled.

His mother stepped next to her son. She has just woken up, at least the bags under her weary, red eyes were showing that. She grabbed the boy’s wrist and took a look at his watch. It took a few seconds for her to realize what time it was.

  'Eomma, I’m in a hurry' Youngjae cried as he freed his hand from his mother’s grasp.

  'Then why the hell are you still here? Shouldn’t be on your way?' she asked and bonked him on the head.

 Youngjae took a huge breath as he grabbed the sore spot where the woman hit him. He was so annoyed by his mother’s behavior, he stood up, snatched up his bag and set off.

 

  'Where have you been?' Yugyeom asked his friend as they sat down on a bench outside on the field after the first period.

 Youngjae didn’t have that many friends. Kim Yugyeom was basically the only one who he spent most of his free time with. Their friendship was quite strong compared to most friendships. They shared everything. No secrets were hidden between them. It was great for both of them that they could trust in someone.

 Yugyeom was younger than him, but he really didn’t look as much as he was. He was very attractive, so older girls often got bitten over him. However, there weren’t any relationships that would have started, because after the girls found out about his age, they happened to lose their interests in him. He was fashionable and loved to take risks. Mainly in changing his hair color, which now was dyed to an ashy blonde shade. He was also lively and cheerful. Just like Youngjae. However, the older wasn’t as popular among the girls, as the other.

 This was their first year at university. It was March, so there wasn't much left from the second trimester. Youngjae was intelligent and hard-working, so he really had nothing to be afraid of.

 Unlike Yugyeom. He was also smart but lazy in the word's every meaning. He used the definitions and expressions he remembered from the previous lessons in a text’s case. It was a rare moment if he opened the textbook at home. Mostly only before the bigger exams.

  'I woke up late. I had to come by bike. And, traffic jam seemed to hinder me' Youngjae responded and took a bite from the chocolate bar he could snitch out in the morning from his home.

  'You are always late from class. You should grow up, Youngjae-yah' Yugyeom said as he averted his eyes.

 In a sudden moment, the younger grabbed the chocolate bar, right before the other could take another bite, and lifted it to his mouth.

  'Give it back, Yugyeom. You don’t know how bad my conscience was when I stepped out of the house with that in my pocket' he begged.

  'That’s why I am going to eat it. To help you. That’s what friends are for' he said with a cheeky smile on his face.

 As Youngjae put up with the loss of his sweet, and folded his arms in front of his body, the younger threw the chocolate bar back onto his lap and rubbed his head with a harsh laugh.

  'Don’t take it too seriously. You know I’m just kidding' he laughed.

 Youngjae picked up the snack and he bit into it with a smile as he rolled his eyes.