Until I Didn't Care

Fallen

 Jaebum accompanied Youngjae but just until the gate. For both of them, it was strange. They didn't know how to say goodbye properly. Why was it so hard? Because they weren't sure about what they were to each other.

  'Thank you for walking me home again' Jaebum said eventually, as he scratched the back of his neck.

 Youngjae wasn't answering. He was just looking at the elder. He concentrated on his eyes, but due to the darkness, it seemed to become a failure.

 The light brown-haired, as he realized he wouldn't get a response, opened his lips and added;

  'Well, see you in school, right?'

 But Youngjae didn't want to leave without a last touch. He set his teeth and pushed himself towards the elder. Jaebum surprisingly looked at the head, that was pressed forcefully to his chest. Initially, he just stood there, with the other hugging him, but then a playful smile appeared on his face, and requited the hug.

 They were standing a step among the gate, in each other's embrace. Neither of them wanted to leave. Jaebum loved the scent that hit him everytime the younger was close to him. Youngjae loved to feel defended. And that was what it was like, when the taller's arm were holding him thightly.

  'I think you should go now. I don't want your parents to get mad at you for staying out so late' Jaebum pushed the younger further but didn't let him go entirely. He placed his hands on the other's shoulders and kept looking in his eyes. At least as much as he could see. The elder ran over his fingers on Youngjae's arm and stopped at his hand. He grabbed it and started to his palm.

  'It is going to be hard, if you always make me stay somehow' the black haired declared as he survived his hand from the other's snatch. 'See you tomorrow' he added with a smile. He hopped on his bike and disappeared at the end of the street. Jaebum kept his regard on the guy, who went further and happened to be so distant against the brown-haired's will.

  'I'm gonna talk to her. I don't want to lose you. Promise me, you will hold on, no matter what happens' he mumbled into the cold air as if Youngjae was still standing in front of him.

 

 Youngjae stopped for a second in front of their house's front door. The inside light referred to that his parents were still awake. It wasn't that late though, just the fact they were usually sleeping at eight, it was strange for them to be walking up and down at ten. Yes, they were. Youngjae could see their shadows as they couldn't stop rushing from one corner to another.

  'Youngjae?' his mother asked with a worried voice when the guy stepped in. As she made sure it was his son, she furrowed her brows and with an incredible speed, approached the black-haired. 'Choi Youngjae! Where the hell have you been?' she grabbed his shirt. Her eyes were on fire.

 Youngjae decided to stay quiet. He couldn't say a word, to be honest. He felt like he was going to cry because of the tension. He wasn't able to bear that situation. The father was standing leant oo the wall with entwined arms in front of his chest. His face was angry as well.

  'ANSWER ME' the woman shouted as she realized her son won't respond. She knew him so well and was aware of how embarrassed he felt, because he was about to cry.

  'Eomma' he whispered with something stuck in his throat. He averted his eyes, and looked to the ceiling's direction, in order to hold back his tears.

  'I swear, if you don't respond properly to my question...' she didn't finish the sentence. She didn't want to.

  'I was with a friend' he mumbled now among tears.

  'With a friend? Is this the same friend you were with yesterday?'

 Youngjae just slightly nodded. His mother let him and now with a much softer voice, declared;

  'I forbid you to meet that friend who has a bad influence on you. Meet Yugyeom instead'

 The son swallowed hard and rushed into his room. He dropped himself on the bed. He didn't hold himself back anymore. Although soundlessly, but cried so hard. And it was exhilarating.

 

 On the next day, Youngjae found himself still in his bed in the morning, but the clock was showing he was way too late to just even get out, dress up and set off. His parents were probably at work already. There was no point of going to school that day. He turned off his phone, that was already full of missed calls and unread messages. All day long, he was sleeping and not caring about anything. Although he just wanted to stay at home for a day, that one day turned into almost a week, because the next time he got up before 11 was on Monday. The next week. For some reason, his mother believed when he said he wasn't feeling well, and that he was sick. However, it didn't matter to her. The fact that her son wasn't with someone who did only bad to him, made her self-satisfied.

 

  'Are you okay?' the question was directed to Yugyeom. The black haired wanted to spend the least time with his parents in one atmosphere that Monday morning, when he finally managed to get out of the bed. That was why he went to school so early.

 As he stepped in the auditorium, he surprisingly noticed a blonde head lying at the top of the desk. Of course, it was Yugyeom. But as soon as the younger lifted his regard, it was obvious something wrong was going on with him.

  'Are you okay?' the elder repeated his question after seeing he wouldn't get any response.

  'Sure' he now answered but it was so unreal. His voice was rusty and weak. 'And you?' he asked back as he placed his head in his palms.

  'I know you're mad but I have great excuses...' Youngjae started to explain why he hadn't replied to the other's calls and messages but Yugyeom interrupted him.

  'Why would I be mad? You do what you desire. I don't have to know about your actions. I'm not your mother' he counted all the reasons why it was unnecessary to give accurate explanations. Youngjae was pleased to hear that. Although he expected Yugyeom to not understand his situation, he was happy to hear the younger's opinion. But as he replayed the blonde saying all these things in his head, he just realized how monotonous and flat his voice was. He was lying, when he said he was okay. And Youngjae couldn't let it just like so.

  'Clearly you're not alright, Kim Yugyeom'

 The mentioned guy dropped his head from his own grab and sighed hard, as if he was annoyed of this topic.

  'Why are you lying to me?' Youngjae snatched his chin and made Yugyeom look at him, but he ducked his head from the other's palm. The elder, just to make him angry, continued; 'Why are you like this? I'm your best friend'

 The black-haired reached what he wanted. Yugyeom seemed so done with him. He has just talked about how trustful he is and doesn't have to tell each other everything, but apparently, Youngjae had a different opinion about that.

  'You really want to know?' the younger asked in a violent tone. He kept staring at the elder out of countenance. Youngjae nodded, that referred to a "yes".

  'And you won't leave me alone, will you?' Yugyeom now seemed uncertain. He averted his eyes and changed into a softer voice. Almost as if he wanted to convince himself rather than Youngjae. The elder now shook his head and patiently waited for the explanation.

  'Last week, I talked to Jei' he stopped for a longer second, as if he was waiting for Youngjae to pose his question.

  'Who is Jei?' he slowly questioned because he was afraid of the answer.

  'Im Jaebum's girlfriend'

 Youngjae's heart started to beat faster. He immediately regretted not talking to the elder for a week. He didn't know anything about him. It was possible, he had talked with his girlfriend, but he wished Jaebum had waited for him. He didn't understand what he wanted with this and most importantly, how it had an effect on Yugyeom's mood. Especially, why it made him sad and upset instead of happy and relieved. He was hoping for that the girl didn't know about Youngjae and Jaebum.

  'Yeah, so? You should explain it better' the black-haired started to hit his pointing fingers onto the desk, like he was playing the drum.

  'When I saw her last Friday, her eyes were completely cried out. She was sitting on the bench we used to a lot. I sat next to her and asked what was wrong. She wanted to leave but I made her stay by grabbing her wrist. I actually urged her to talk to me. But it worked. And her problem quickly turned out' Yugyeom kept saying all these to his pencil case, but for the last sentence, he lifted his regard and concentrated on Youngjae, who swallowed harder and harder. 'But I wish it didn't' he even added a pathetic laugh to it.

  'And what was it?'

 Don't answer, just leave it alone. Say it was just she had her period or something.

  'They broke up' he simply said, but wasn't so pleased.

  'But that's awesome, isn't it?' Youngjae tried to pretend he was just as happy as Yugyeom should have been, but seeing that his friend was just sitting there with a light and fake smile on his face staring at his pencil case again, the elder gave up attempting the impossible.

 Yugyeom moved his head and looked at Youngjae, now without any facial expressions and said it out loud;

  'It maybe awesome. However, not for me, but for you, Youngjae'