4.

Lost Feelings

KRYSTAL’S POV

“ Surprise me,” I told the bartender.

He blinked and without a second thought, set out a martini glass. He turned around and started making the drink as his back faced me. After a few minutes, he turned back around and poured the mixed cocktail into the martini glass.

 As it was poured, a dark brown liquid slowly made its way to tip of the glass. Then, the bartender took out a bowl of cherries and with a tong, put a cherry inside the cocktail. He slid the drink towards me without giving me a glance. 

As if he didn't care I was there, he started drying wet glasses in front of me. I looked at the drink and then at the bartender. I couldn't help but chuckle because of his strange attitude and took a sip.

As the cocktail went down smoothly, I could feel warmth in my throat. It was strong, but I liked it. I needed something like this after a tiresome week I went through. I circled the rim with my finger as I quietly tapped my foot to the sound of jazz music.

I looked at the handsome bartender as I took another sip. In an attempt to break the silence, I coughed to see if he would give attention to me. Then he looked up and our eyes met. People have told me that my eyes looked scary and lifeless, but it was nothing compared to his. His dark brown eyes looked almost black, but it was attractive. I could tell that he has gone through a lot.

“ You don't seem like much of a talker,” I said.

The bartender ignored my comment and went back to cleaning cocktail glasses. I sighed and continued to stare at him, my eyes just couldn't let go of him. I heard a familiar loud laughter and looked behind me. I saw the old man happily chatting away with customers.

“ The old man always seems so happy. Every time I come here, he's always smiling at me. I've never once seen him down,” I said.

I took another sip of my drink and sighed.

“ I can't even remember how many times I've come here this month or how many men I've taken out of this place. The jazz music, alcohol, and always seems to hook me in, and I can't get enough of it.” I said.

The bartender looked at me when I mentioned the word . I smirked when he continshowed me his go-to expressionless face. 

“ How about it? We go somewhere out of this place after your shift is over and have a little fun,” I said.

He gave the glass he was working on, one last wipe and put it away. Then, he turned towards me and set his hands on the counter. 

“ A pretty lady like you shouldn't be messing around with men all the time,” he finally said.

His voice was deep and soothing, I was hoping to hear more from him just to listen to his voice. Then I stopped myself, this isn't the right time to be thinking of someone like that Jung Soojung. 

FLASHBACK:

“ I went to the mall today, with my sister,” I said.

“ Really,” He said without looking at me.

He stuffed​ his mouth with the salad I made and slowly chewed. I gulped as I tried to gather the courage to say the next few words.

“ Yeah, and we went to this jewelry store together to look at a few things,” I said.

He looked up at me, as if he knew where this was headed. He took a sip of his wine without breaking his stare.

“ I was just thinking of how nice it would be, if we… I don't know, got married?” I said with a smile,

He set down the glass of wine he was holding and leaned against his seat with crossed arms. 

“ Krystal, you know we can't get married. It's going to cost us both our social status and jobs,” he said.

“ I know, but I'm willing to sacrifice that to be with you,” I said.

He sighed in disbelief. 

“ Haven't you noticed?” He said.

“ You've never once called me jongin, my real Korean name soojung. It's always Kai this, Kai that. For goodness sake you didn't even approve of our relationship in the beginning.” He continued.

I was taken aback, I couldn't deny any of the things he said because they were all true. Our relationship was set up by our parents and I didn't even bother to give him the attention that I gave him now.

“ That was all in the past Ka- Jongin. I've changed and I love you. I want to be with you for a longtime.” I said.

He scoffed and stood up.

“ Thanks for the dinner, I'm going to get going now.” He said.

“ Wait, what? Jongin, I'm serious about marriage and everything.” I said.

I walked over to him as he put on his coat.

“ Krystal, I don't want to get married, I want the opposite,” he said.

“ W-What?” I stuttered.

“ Let's break up,” he said.

END OF FLASHBACK