3.

Lost Feelings

AMBER'S POV

I slowly opened my eyes after feeling uncomfortable with my position. My hair was all over the place, so I just tied it into a bun. I walked over to the kitchen still groggy, trying to avoid contact with the sun. 

The clock that was loudly ticking showed that it was already 2 pm. I've slept far past my daily 8 hours. 

I drank a cup of water and went to my room to change and take a shower. After taking a hot shower, I looked at myself in the mirror and opened the drawer to try to find a brush. However the only thing there was, Eric's old hair supplies, a shaver and scissors.

I took a strand of my wet hair and looked at it. I've heard that losing your hair after a break-up is a way of showing a fresh start. I took the pair of scissors and started t it as short as I can. Then, I plugged in the shaver and was surprised to see it still worked. I gripped it tightly and starting buzzing the sides of my head, making sure to still leave hair at the top. 

Hair started falling and the was-clean bathroom now had hair all over the floor and sink. I looked at myself and covered my mouth in shock, realizing what I had done. 

It took me awhile to clean the bathroom, but I didn't regret getting rid of my hair. It was a sign of a new start for Eunyoung Liu. 

After putting on warm clothes, I headed out to my uncle's business, which was a hidden bar that only a handful of people knew about. I knocked on the door and there was no response. I knocked again, but this time with a certain pattern to ensure that I knew what was behind the closed door.

The bouncer Kangin oppa opened the door and was surprised to see me, but then smiled widely.

“ Eunyoung! How long has it been? Look at you, you look great,” He smiled.

I just stared at him and nodded. He didn't mention anything about my hair or my actions. I was glad though, he knew me all these years but felt like it wasn't his place to question what happened to me.

“ Is my uncle in?” I asked.

“ Yeah, he's in his office behind the bar,” Kangin oppa answered. 

I nodded and entered. The place changed a little but not so much. There were different tables and a new stage for musical entertainers, but was still old-fashioned. The faint smell of cigars and booze filled the air as I walked through the place,

I stepped into my uncle's office and knocked on the open door. He was just sitting there looking at paperwork but turned around  when he heard the knock. He noticed me and flashed his kind smile.

“ Ommo, Eunyoung, look how big you are. Looking at you makes me feel so old,” he chuckled.

 He approached me and gave me a big hug that made the coldness of the weather outside go away. Uncle let go and scanned me from head to toe. He noticed my hair and twitched his eyes, which meant he knew something was wrong.

“ I've…been through a lot. I decided that doing this to my hair meant a fresh start.” I muttered.

He sighed and ruffled up my hair like the old days, then flashed his signature smile. 

“ Have you visited your parents yet?” He brought up.

“ I plan on doing it in a few days or so,” I said.

“ Good, I'm sure they've missed you just as much as I did.” Uncle said.

He walked over to a box full of clothes and fished through it. Then, he took out a black pair of slacks and a white long sleeve with a pair of black shiny loafers. It wasn't an outfit that people wore a lot in the states, unless they worked in the office.

“ Since you're here, you might as well help out. Tonight's going to be busy and we'll need all the help we can get. And I know what you're thinking, but this how fashion is these days kid,” Uncle said.

He gave me the clothes and I changed into them. I looked at the slacks that didn't even cover all of my legs. However, I couldn't complain and decided to go with the flow. 

 My uncle fixed my hair and put a ribbon around my collar to show that I'll be a bartender for tonight.

“ Man oh man, look at you Eunyoung who knew that you had it in you? You look just like your father, donghae. I'm sure that more people, especially girls will try to buy more drinks now. “ He chuckled.

“ But I'm straight-” I said.

“ All right, you still remember all the drinks I taught you right?” Uncle asked.

I nodded and looked at myself in the mirror and saw a guy instead of me. I really did look like my dad. 

My watch revealed that it was only 5 pm, and it usually got busier around 8. Only a few people were sitting in the tables, drinking while waiting for the jazz band. I stood behind the bar, making drinks for customers who sat on the bar stools, sparking a short conversation here and there. 

As time passed by, more and more people flocked the place. They were drinking heartily while music played in the background. As uncle had said, most of the customers that sat on the bar stools were women. However, I just listened to them if they spoke to me and usually don't respond.

When the amount of customers finally cooled down, the time indicated that midnight was coming. It didn't mean the place was closing, but only “special” customers could come, such as businessmen or well-known people.

The atmosphere now made the place feel more laid-back and comfortable. This part of the time in the bar was something I rarely experienced since I was still young back when I first started working here.  

I looked over to see uncle talking to a girl while leading her to a barstool. Then, Uncle came up to me with his usual smile on his face.

“ Serve that girl over there a okay?” He asked.

I nodded and walked towards the girl sitting alone. She noticed me and followed my every move with her brown eyes.

“ What will it be miss?” I asked.

Her cold appearance could make almost any man fall for her beauty. Even if she just sat there, I would think that men would just surround her without her having to say anything. 

“ Surprise me,” she said.