Hurt

Romeo and Juliet

It was breakfast and neither Doojoon nor you were talking to each other. Eomeoni realised this.

"Did you 2 fight again?" she asked.

"Ani." both of you replied at the same time and looked at each other.

You went ahead to wash your plate and Doojoon followed after.

"What time did you reach home last night?" he asked you.

"11pm. Wae?" 

"Just asking. Since when are you close with that ert?" 

"Yah he's not a ert, his name is Kikwang." 

"Whatever. I think you shouldn't be close with him." 

"Wae? He's a good guy and furthermore he is my boss."

"Exactly, that's why I disagree even more." he looked at you.

"Mianhe I can't do that. Anyway I never stop you being friends with Minjoo."

"She's different." Doojoon defend himself.

"How is that different? You know, you should really focus on what's happening in your life then bothering about mine. See you during dinner." you left the Yoon's house and went back next door.


 

Class just ended for Doojoon and he was waiting for Minjoo. 

"Doojoon ah." Minjoo called out for him.

"What are you doing tonight?" she asked him.

"I'll most probably be at home, studying." 

"If it's fine with you,can we study together tonight? There's some question I'm not sure about." 

"But I was thinking of studying at home tonight." 

"Then why not I study at your home with you?" she suggested to him.

 

"Umma I'm back." Doojoon called for his mum as soon as he got home.

"You're back early. Is that Jaeah?" eomeoni said as she saw a glimpse of someone behind him.

"Annyeonghaseyo Eomeoni." Minjoo greet Doojoon's mum.

"Oh Annyeonghaseyo." 

"Umma this is my friend Minjoo. Is it ok if she study here today?" 

"Of course, just make it like your house." Eomeoni said to Minjoo.

Both of them started studying until 7pm.

 

Minjoo was about to leave as the household was about to have dinner.

"Doojoon ah can you ask Jaeah where's she at? She most probably will be back soon for dinner." Eomeoni told Doojoon.

Minjoo overheard that.

Eomeoni set up the dinner table.

"Minjoo ah, you should stay and have dinner with us." eomeoni offered her.

"Ani umma I think Minjoo--" Doojoon wanted to say something but was cut off by Minjoo.

"Really? Won't I be disturbing?" she asked.

"Ani don't be silly. Sit down and join us." Eomeoni bring Minjoo to her seat. Doojoon sat next to her.

"I'm back." you took out your footwear and went inside.

You were surprised to see Minjoo seated down next to Doojoon. You wonder what she's doing here.

"You're back Jaeah. Sit down." Eomeoni said to you. You sat in front of Minjoo who was smiling. Doojoon was looking at you.

"We have a special guest tonight Jaeah." appeuji sat down at his seat.

"Jaeah glad to meet you again." Minjoo said to you.

"Oh you both know each other?" eomeoni asked.

"Yes. In fact we're becoming close friends." Minjoo looked at you smiling. 

All of you started eating. Eomeoni and appeuji was asking Minjoo what Doojoon was like in school. You weren't even listening. You just ate silently alone. Doojoon who was also silent during the meal look at you and realised.

Minjoo noticed you being silent decided to start a conversation with you.

"So how are you and the guy the other day?" she asked you in front of everyone. 

*Why the hell is she bringing Kikwang up suddenly* you thought to yourself.

"Omo, which guy is this? Why didn't I know anything about it." eomeoni looked at you. 

"He's just my boss." you explained to the rest.

Doojoon looked at you and decided to change the topic. He hate listening about Kikwang.

 

Everyone were done eating and you helped wash the plates. Doojoon and Minjoo were helping in clearing the dining table.

Eomeoni went towards you who was washing the plates.

"Jaeah look at that." she talked softly to you. She was referring to Doojoon and Minjoo. You turned behind and looked.

"They look good together don't they?" she asked you.

You just remained silent and continue washing the plate.

"Minjoo seem like a good lady. I really like her." Eomeoni continue.

"We should bring those 2 together. You should help Doojoon out." eomeoni said to you.

"Eomeoni, love shouldn't be forced." 

"Of course. But look at Doojoon, he won't even make a move on any girl. I want to see him get married one day. But with him being like that, I worry if he will even get married." she sounded sad thinking about it.

"Doojoon always listen to you. So please talk to him about it for me would you?" 

You pity eomeoni caused she really meant it. You finally gave in.

After finishing you went next door to your house. Minjoo realised that you were leaving and decided to follow you.

 

"I like that girl Minjoo." Eomeoni said to Doojoon in the kitchen after realising Minjoo was out of sight.

"Umma, I know what you are thinking but I'm sorry I don't think of her like that." Doojoon told his mum.

"Wae? She's pretty and well mannered. What are you contemplating on?" 

"Umma." 

"Wae. Omo don't say you like guys instead." 

"Umma!" Doojoon was disbelief.

"I'm not gay and I'm definitely sure of that." he assured his mum.

He looked around and he realised you were not around.

 

You unlocked your house and realised someone was next to you.

"Is this your house?" Minjoo asked.

You just nod.

"Can I come in?" she went inside before you could even reply.

"Wow your house is so big. Where's your parents" she asked you.

"I live alone." 

"Chincha? Wah daebak." Minjoo sounded amazed.

"Mianhe but I forget I need to go to the shop to buy something." you said to her.

Minjoo understood and went out of your house and went back next door to Doojoon's house.

You locked your door and went down to buy something. 

 

"I should get going." Minjoo said to Doojoon.

"Thank you for coming today." eomeoni said to MInjoo.

"Aniyo. Thank you for the wonderful dinner." Minjoo thanked her.

"Do help me take good care of Doojoon." 

"Umma." 

"Don't worry. I will." she smiled happily.

"Where is Jaeah?" eomeoni asked Doojoon, since Minjoo was leaving.

"Oh she went to the shop earlier." Minjoo said.

"I shall get going first." she bow.

"Doojoon go and send Minjoo to the busstop." his father said.

"Yup that's right. At least make sure she's safe." eomeoni joined.

Doojoon went down to sent Minjoo off.

She suddenly stopped.

"Wae? The busstop is still ahead." Doojoon said to her.

She suddenly went to kiss Doojoon's cheek.

Doojoon was surprised.

"What...was...that for?" 

"Komowo for today. I had a great time." she smiled at Doojoon.

Doojoon don't know how to react and just scratched his neck feeling awkward.

Both of them then head to the busstop.

 

You were walking back from the shop when you saw the 2 of them. You just stood there, seeing Minjoo kissed Doojoon's cheek. You don't know why but you feel like tearing up seeing that.

You finally get back to your senses and hid behind the wall to avoid them seeing you. Your heartbeat was beating fast. Without you realising, you start tearing up. You cover your mouth, trying not to make any sound while you saw both of them walked past. You sat down by the side of the road crying. You don't know why you were crying, but your heart ache.

*What's wrong with me?* you asked yourself.


 

Both Doojoon and Minjoo continue walking in silence.

"Does Jaeah live alone?" she suddenly break the silence.

"Yup, since she was 13." 

"Wae? Where's her parents?" Minjoo seemed curious.

"Long story." 

"What happened to them?" 

"When Jaeah was 11, her mum passed away due to cancer. That day I remember seeing her crying next to her mum's grave. I never saw her that sad before." 

"With that she only had her dad, but one day her dad went missing." 

"He left her?" Minjoo asked.

"Ani. Both of them went on a camping trip in winter. Jaeah told me the car broke down and they were stuck in a snowstorm. Her dad told her to wait in the car, cause he was going to find for help. But that was the last she heard from him."

"And poor Jaeah was left in the car alone. Crying and waiting for her dad to come back, but he never did." Doojoon felt sad thinking about how frightened you must have been at that time.

Minjoo cried listening to the story.

"Why are you crying?" 

"Ani, I just felt sad thinking that this happened to her." she wiped her tears.

"Since then, my family became her official guardian. And from that day onward, I never saw the smile she had before." 


 

Tonight you felt extra sad, thinking about your parents. You hold your family portrait of your mum, dad and you.

You cried thinking how it would have been better if they were around.

"Appa.. where are you?" you cried, sobbing while hugging the portrait and eventually you fall asleep.