...With a Strong Heart

The One...

DONGHYUCK

 

The time for me and Mark to come back to the city came. The two of us put all of our clothes in our suitcase and pulled it toward the front door. Haechan stood there, waiting. He wore a striped t-shirt with jean shorts. A suitcase sat next to him. Grandma made arrangement for Haechan to live with me since she couldn't take care of him anymore because of the obvious reason. Haechan hugs the metal urn tightly in his arm as he followed us toward the door. The house was also sold but there wasn't much in the house that house that Haechan wants to keep, except Grandma and Grandpa's urn. We handed over the key to the new owner before we starting toward the village's gate. Jungwoo and Yukhei volunteered to drive the three of us to the train station. 

 

The funeral that we held for Grandma wasn't extravagant but we managed to get her body cremated. Haechan kept the two urns close to him at all time since then. Even now, as we drive to the train station, he still hugs Grandma's urn and Grandpa's urn was kept in the backpack that he brought along. When we got to the train station, Yukhei and Jungwoo hugged me tightly and told me they'll live in the city one day so we can hang out. After me, they hug Haechan as well and told him to stay strong. Both of them gave Haechan a kiss on the head before moving on to Mark. My boyfriend shook hand with Yukhei but they gripped on each other hand. I could tell because their knuckle turned white. Jungwoo's goodbye was more docile as they avoid contact. 

 

The train ride was quicker than I expected. It's probably because we slept the whole way to the city. While Mark slept the whole way, I went in and out of conscientiousness occasionally. When I was conscientious, I saw Haechan read a book titled "Law of the City". It was a textbook on the official law. My oldest brother, Seungkwan, asked me to buy it for him since the bookstore in the city overcharged the price. He does study law in his college.

 

"I'm so excited for you to meet my friends," I told Haechan as the scenery start to get familiar to me. "I haven't told them that I have a twin brother yet so I want to see their reaction."

 

"I'm sure they will," Haechan chuckle. "So where will I sleep in our house?"

 

"Mom already got a room ready for you ever since I told her you'll live with us."

 

"It'll be awkward since I barely know my parents."

 

"You have all the time in the world to get to know them."

 

"I hope I do," Haechan hugs the urn tighter. "I don't want to add another person to the family shrine."

 

I knew what he was referring to. Dad's condition is getting a bit better but he has to continue fighting. If he gives up at any time, the disease could take over. "You won't. I promise you will have enough time to get to know Mom and Dad."

 

"Don't make promises you can't keep," My twin brother smirked. "This is the second promise you made to me."

 

"Second?"

 

"The first promise was to never leave me behind but you broke that. Make sure you keep this promise."

 

"If I break this promise, you can have full control of Mom's restaurant and I will work for you."

 

"Alright, that's a deal."

 

"Hyuckkie..." Mark scooped closer to me and hugged me tightly. He still in dreamland right now.

 

"So how did you get together with this rich kid?" Haechan changed the subject. The law book was long forgotten. 

 

"Dad worked for his family as their butler but when he fell ill, I took his place."

 

"Why didn't Seungkwan took Dad's place?"

 

"He already has an internship job," I explained. "Besides, the job gave good paid and I was the only one who wasn't working."

 

"I guess it would be expected for me to work as well when I live in the city."

 

"You don't have to work immediately. Take your time."

 

"Does Mom need more chef in her restaurant?"

 

"No, why?"

 

"No reason..."

 

The train slowed down to a stop in the city's train station. We got off and looked around for my mother. She said she'll pick us up before heading to work since she will pass through the train station from the hospital. Mom and Haechan got really awkward with each other. Luckily, I was there to act as the middle person. Mark got picked up by his family chauffeur. The drive home was filled with small talk. My twin brother didn't make the conversation comfortable since he probably still blamed our parents for picking me over him when we moved to the city. I hope they can get along over time. 

 

"Ok, I got to go to work," Mom dropped us off in front of our house. "Call me if you need anything. Seungkwan is also home but it's best to not disturb him."

 

"Did something happen?" I asked.

 

"He recently broke up with his girlfriend."

 

Mom and Dad still haven't figure out that Seungkwan was dating Mingyu at all. They assumed that he was seeing a girl and didn't ask him to invite her to dinner yet. Both he and I kept our uality away from the normal dinner topic. On a serious note, I didn't know Seungkwan broke up with Mingyu. 

 

"So our older brother got dumped," Haechan commented as we walk into the house. 

 

"How did you know he got dumped?"

 

"If they broke up mutually, then Seungkwan wouldn't be moping like this," My twin brother looked around the house. "It's basic psychology. The sassy bloodline ran through our family so I doubt a sassy person would mope around about a break up unless he got dumped out of nowhere."

 

"Let go check on him," I pulled Haechan upstairs toward Seungkwan's room. We knocked twice before entering. 

 

"What do you want?" My brother's voice was muffled under a mountain of blankets.

 

"You are so pathetic, Seungkwan hyung," Haechan started to peel off the layers of blanket like an onion. 

 

"Haechan?" Seungkwan peeked his head out of the blanket. "Why are you here?"

 

"To get you out of your mopey state, where's your phone?"

 

"Why?"

 

"Call your friends to hang out with them. Friends are the best cure for a breakup. Hopefully, you didn't ignore them while dating the head that dump your ."

 

"I don't want to," Seungkwan whines and retracts to his blanket like a turtle. "Leave me alone."

 

I stood by as I watch Haechan wrestled the blanket out of Seungkwan, one by one. Seungkwan tried to fight it but Haechan easily overpowered him. It was expected since he did work on a farm and Seungkwan and I didn't. Does that mean Haechan is ripped under the shirt? I got to ask later.

 

"You are gonna go out with your friends and forget about whoever dump you," Haechan finally got our older brother out of bed and into the bathroom to shower. "Get a new haircut or something to clean yourself off of the old you. Go numb your pain with alcohol or something. It's always better to let it out then keeping emotion in."

 

I knew for sure that Haechen is being a hypocrite right now. He is the master of keeping emotions in but now is not the time to bring that up. When Seungkwan was freshly showered, we got in contact with his friends and they agree to hang out with Seungkwan. They tried to do that earlier but Seungkwan refused. We just sat in the living room while waiting for Seungkwan's to arrive.

 

"Why can't I just stay inside and cry my eyes out?" Seungkwan whines again.

 

"Because you need to get over it. Crying would not do any good. I ain't gonna have any of my brothers be a pathetic mess when they got dumped."

 

Soon, the doorbell rings and I open it. Seungkwan's friends, a short little guy and a foreign-looking guy, pulled Seungkwan toward a navy blue car. The foreign-looking one seemed to pay extra attention to my depressed brother.

 

When they finally got Seungkwan out the door, we watch their navy blue car drove away. Haechan ran upstairs with his arm stretched.

 

”I’m gonna take a nap,” He yelled down to me. “Go hang out with Mark or something. You’re suffocating me.”

 

“But I need to watch over you so you won’t get into trouble,” I replied back.

 

”Yeah yeah yeah...”

 

While Harchan takes his nap, I made some sandwiches for snacks. As I munched on the foods, I looked over the paperwork that would be necessary for Haechan to transfer to my school. His grade back at his old school was above average so his position upon entering my current school will be easy. Mom and Seungkwan managed to fill out the paperwork while Mark and I were in my village. After putting away the papers, I placed my grandparent's urn onto the family shrine and unpacked a little. When I took out my underwears to put it in the laundry, I noticed that one of them is gone. I don't remember anyone near my luggage, except Mark, who help me packed. I mean where could my dirty underwear go? 

 

"Donghyuck, take me shopping," Haechan poked his head into my room. 

 

"You're up from your nap already?" I walked past him with a basket of dirty laundry. 

 

"It's been two hours, airhead," My twin helped me put the dirty cloth into the washer. "You were too absorbed in your chore."

 

"Sorry," I apologized. "We can go to the mall after this."

 

We didn't bother to call anyone to take us to the mall; instead, we took an Uber there. Haechan looked around at every shop and bought a dozen new outfits. His reason is that he likes buying things when he is upset. I have no idea what he could be upset about besides leaving the village. People would never assume that Haechan is a village boy from the way he's acting because he seems so knowledgeable about every aspect of the city life. He pulled me to shops I have never been to buy things I didn't know I need, like a snapback and bandana. However, we almost ran into someone we didn't expect to see.

 

"Ow, Donghyuck, what was that for?" Haechan grunted out loud when I pulled him in a random shop to avoid crossing path with a certain someone.

 

"That's Mingyu," I pointed to the tall guy walking with a pretty girl.

 

"The that cheated on our brother?" My twin scoffed as he observed the couple. "Should we confront him?"

 

"No way, we would only complicated thing for Seungkwan," I explained.

 

"What kind of car does he drive?" Haechan asked randomly. 

 

"A blue Lamborgini, why?" 

 

"No reason."

 

"...Don't do anything stupid."

 

We managed to enjoy the rest of our trip while avoiding Mingyu. Haechan seemed chirpier for some reason. I felt a troubling sensation at the bottom of my stomach like something bad is going to happen but I just don't know what. This is unsettling to me since I like to know almost every aspect of what's going on in my life. Haechan can be unpredictable sometimes and that worries me more than anything. I chose to ignore it since I get to spend time with my twin brother. Even though more chances to hang out with him will come up, I have to savor these moments before we become adults and start having responsibilities. 

 

"We should go home now," Haechan told me after we both have several bags of cloth in our hands. "My arms hurt."

 

"One more shop," I pulled him toward the shop near the mall's garage. "It'll be quick, I promise."

 

"Fine, you go there, while I go to the bathroom," Haechan gave me all his bags before sprinting away.

 

I rolled my eyes and ran to the shop. This place has some good anime figurines and they recently came out with a couple for Boku no Here Academia. I want all the Midoriya and Bakugo figurines. While I was there, I saw a couple of classmates from school and waved at them. We had a little chat before I went back to shopping. My mental clock didn't tell me how long I was in the shop for until Haechan shows up. He had a wide smirk on his face that surprised me. He has been in a good mood for a while. "What got into you?"

 

"Nothing," He shrugged. "Let go home."

 

"I saw a couple of my classmates at the shop," I told him as we go into another Uber. "I can't wait for you to meet my friends once we go back to school."

 

"How did you get into that expensive school by the way?"

 

"Mark's family got me in there. They have connections."

 

"Wow, you basically get sponsor by his family. All because you screw their son."

 

"We did not screw!"

 

Haechan smirked the whole way home. I knew he would start teasing me sooner or later. Mark and I haven't done much while we're dating since I didn't want our relationship to be ual-based. By the time we got home, Haechan asked me more about Mingyu. I told him what I know. That guy is a nice person from the times I saw him. I genuinely thought he and Seungkwan would get together for a long time but my guess was wrong. Many of Seungkwan's friends had told me to watch out but I ignored their warnings like Seungkwan had. It came back and bit us badly. 

 

"So he's a good actor," Haechan concluded as we got out of the Uber. "Perfect. Now I know my method is correct."

 

"What did you do?" I asked suspiciously.

 

"Nothing," He answered with a wicked smile. "But I need you to do everything I ask. Trust me."

 

I reached into his pocket and got the house key to open the door. After I did, I notice a couple of scratch marks on the key. Haechan quickly set the bags onto the living room. "Haechan, why are the key scratched?"

 

Haechan didn't answer me but he walked over to the window and looked outside. I waited for an answer but when I didn't get one, I walk nearer. Another wicked grin spread on his face. It was the same grin that he wore when I caught him on top of Mark. "Go upstairs, Donghyuck. No matter what happens. Don't make a sound."

 

"Why?" I asked as he pushed me upstairs. 

 

"The only way to deal with an actor is to have a better actor," He winked at me. "Sit back and enjoy the show."

 

I sat near the stairs to listen to Haechan. A loud banging on the door startled me. I heard Haechan cleared his throat a bit before opening the door. From the frantic footsteps, I can tell that someone walks into the house and they sound angry.

 

"Mingyu hyung, can I help you?" Haechan's voice sounded similar to mine. This was surprising to me. How many tricks does this guy have up his sleeves?

 

"Where is Seungkwan? That bastard did it this time," I wanted to come downstairs to look and yell at Mingyu but I decided against it.

 

"Seungkwan is out with his friend on the other side of the city," Haechan sounded so innocent. "Why are you here?"

 

"That bastard keyed my car!" 

 

"Watch how you talk about my brother. Remember you're the bastard here. Besides, how are you so sure Seungkwan did it?"

 

"Who else would it be? Where were you earlier?"

 

"At the mall, why?"

 

"Was it you?!?!"

 

"When was your car keyed?"

 

"Around 30 minutes ago. I asked the staffs to let me see the surveillance camera."

 

"Well, thirty minutes ago. I was at the comic books store checking out figurines. Some of my classmates saw me there so I got an alibi."

 

"ing hell. It got to be you."

 

"How can I be at two places at the same time? Did you see the person's face on the camera? If not, I suggest you leave before I call the police."

 

I heard the door violently being slammed before silent fell on the house. My mind couldn't wrap itself around the conversation I just heard. That's why Haechan asked me about Mingyu's car. He was the person who keyed the car but he had a perfect alibi because of me. Mingyu had no idea that Haechanexistst so he couldn't accuse him. My shock diminished as I hear laughter on the first floor of the house. My feets quickly told me downstairs and my hand found itself slapping Haechan.

 

"You idiot, you committed a crime," I yelled at him. 

 

"Innocent until proven guilty," He smirked. "The guy should have tried harder. So much for a future lawyer."

 

"Why would you do that?"

 

"No one mess with my family."

 

I sighed and sat down on the sofa. "Please don't do it again."

 

"No promises," He ruffled my hair. "Seungkwan looked really broken. That's why I did it. And I would do it again if you become the same way."

 

"Why would I be broken?"

 

Haechan chuckled and ruffled my hair again. "I told you before, Donghyuck. No matter how much you love each other, something will get in between you guys. You're from a lower income family. Money is a very big complication in a relationship. You might have your fun now in high school but once the euphoria dies out, I will find you broken hearted. If it's not him, then it will be his mother or father. Keep that in mind."


 

How are y'all today? Doing good? I'm enjoying summer right now. Do you have 3 minutes to spare? You do? Perfect. Click on the link below to watch a trailer of "Love by Chance the series". The series will be released once the trailer reached 1 million views so please watch it for the fujoshi and fudanshi in the world, including me. 

https://youtu.be/_cL6EQfR5LU

 

Anyway, Do you like this chapter? It shows more of Haechan's destructive personality. Don't worry about Yukhei or Jungwoo, they will appear again. The fun is about to start now that Haechan has become an official and permanent implement of the story.