...With Two Mindsets

The One...

DONGHYUCK

 

This is the most awkward lunch I have ever attend to in my life. After Yukhei's bold declaration of war against Mark, I was forced to step in and steered the three of them into my grandma's house. I promise to make y them lunch if they behave, which they did. Yukhei and Jungwoo happily waited for me to bring them foods but Mark spends those time glaring at my two childhood friends. I really hope Seungkwan didn't tell Mark that those two had a thing for me when we were younger. While we are on the subject, why don't I explain my relationship with Yukhei and Jungwoo?

 

I met Jungwoo first. He was one of that neighborhood boy that everyone disliked because he would play pranks on the village people and scares all the livestock. I didn't know when he stopped but he suddenly did. Everyone was surprised by his sudden change of heart. Jungwoo became more tamed and helpful around the village and he spent more time with me when I was younger, especially when I was reading on the trees that guarded the village perimeter. Jungwoo and I met when I was around five. I fell from the tree while dozing off and he broke my fall. It was a typical anime scene. Jungwoo was running away from one of the aunties in the village when I fell on him. He got a knock on the head from that auntie and that was the last time he ever got in trouble for pranking. His family owned the rice farms that are in the village and they had many workers. He's rich compared to everyone else in the village.

 

Around the time I turned six, I met Yukhei. He was a sick boy that used to live in the city but his health condition forced him to move away from the polluted air of the city. I saw him a couple of time through his window before I actually approach him. After that, I spent some quality times with him and he told all his thoughts. Yukhei had friends in the city who never called or texted him after he moved. I was his first friend since he moved to my village. As his condition got better, Yukhei spent more time outdoors and was able to run around with the other kids. He knows how to play the guitar so that got him popular with the female around the village but he would only play with I asked him to. After a couple of months of knowing the village layout, Yukhei turned into a prankster but not to the level Jungwoo was at. He was more of a jester, always making people laugh due to his funny antics, hilarious jokes, and cheesy pick-up lines.

 

"Donghyuck, is the foods ready?" Jungwoo pokes his head into the kitchen. 

 

The kitchen was unfamiliar to me because Grandma had changed many things about it, like where she put the spices and such. It took me a while to look for everything but I got done. "It's done. Help me carry it please."

 

The two of us walked back to the dining room, which was like a traditional Chinese design. A table in the middle of the room with no chairs but cushions. The floor was made out of bamboos and walls were made out of thick concrete. Yukhei was looking at Mark with amusement in his eyes while Mark looked like he's about to commit murder. I better sit next to him to appease his jealousy. He's wearing a comfortable yellow t-shirt and shorts. I'm wearing the same thing, except with a white shirt. 

 

"Here you go, guys," I set the foods down on the table while Jungwoo set down the rice cooker. "I used whatever Grandma had in the fridge. Omelets and steam vegetables."

 

"That looks great, Donghyuck!" Endless praise poured out of Yukhei's mouth. "You're such great cook. Such wifey materials!"

 

"Eat up!" I told them as I got them all a bowl of rice. "I already save some for my brother and Grandma so you don't hold back."

 

At the mention of my Second Brother, both Yukhei and Jungwoo visibly shuddered and got quiet. They were always scared of him and it seems like they still do. On the other hand, Mark just sullenly eat his rice plain. I picked up a steam bok choy and placed it on his rice. The smile I gave him seems to ease his jealousy a bit. We ate in silence for a bit before Jungwoo asks me about the life I have in the city. I told them about some of my daily lives and special occurrence that happened, leaving out the negative ones. I also told them about Jaemin, Jeno, Renjun, and the other friends Mark and I have back at school. Speaking of which, I wonder what they're doing. Jeno and Jaemin are probably doing something cute together and Renjun is probably playing some new online video games.

 

"Wow, you've been busy," Yukhei commented. "Too bad, I wasn't there to share those memories with you."

 

Yukhei is really pushing it with Mark's patience. Jungwoo seemed to sense this as well. "So Mark, how long have you dated Donghyuck?"

 

"About a couple of months now," Mark answered with a glare. Jungwoo might be nicer than Yukhei but Mark probably still see him as a rival. It's not like I would cheat on Mark so I don't know why he's so worried. 

 

"You must have to use your money," Yukhei commented snarkily.

 

Before Mark could react, I grabbed onto his thigh from under the table. I looked at Yukhei with amusement. "Yukhei, that speaks more about me than about him. Are you saying I'm a gold digger?"

 

"Of course not, Donghyuck," The pinked lip boy panicked a little. "You're perfect... In every way."

 

I chuckled breathily. We went back to eat quietly and Yukhei held back on his snarky comments. On the other hand, Jungwoo isn't talking much. He would occasionally look up at me and smiles at me before going back to eating. He makes a good contrast to Yukhei, who's a loud one. It's funny how they were each other when they were younger.

 

"Donghyuck, can we talk later?" Jungwoo asked me quietly when we started to clean up the dirty dishes. 

 

"While not now?" I told him. "You've been quiet since you saw Mark. It's something about me dating him, isn't it?"

 

His silent answer my question already. Jungwoo has always been fond of me and a little protective. Yukhei told me that Jungwoo didn't talk to anyone for a while when I moved to the city with my parents and Seungkwan. It's not my fault but I still feel guilty for leaving him behind. Same goes for Yukhei but that guy has a better coping mechanism than Jungwoo.

 

"Mark, is it ok if you do the dishes?" I asked Mark. "I promise I'll make it up to you later."

 

Mark pouted a little before agreeing. I kissed him on the cheek before pushed him toward the kitchen.


 

MARK

 

When Donghyuck made me wash the dishes, he didn't have to also force that Yukhei guy to help me as well. I just got here and he already pissed me off enough. The guy acts all high and mighty as if he would steal Donghyuck away from. Psst, I doubt he would be able to do it and I won't let him. Donghyuck is my boyfriend and I will make him happier than anyone. I was so intuned with my inner monologue that I didn't notice how quiet Yukhei is actually is next to me.

 

I choose not to say anything about it and look out the window instead as I do the dishes. A greenhouse full of sugar cane is right next to the house. I assume that Donghyuck's grandma is selling home-grown sugar cane to make a living. Those plants are expensive so she must have earned a lot of money.

 

"You're losing the race already, do you know that?"

 

"What?" I answered in a confused voice.

 

"You're losing Donghyuck already," Yukhei repeated. 

 

"Psst, how can I lose him to you when you're right next to me?"

 

"I'm not the only one you have to keep Donghyuck away from," He scoffed. "In fact, Jungwoo is a bigger enemy to you than I am. He and Donghyuck shared a special connection. I'm more worry about losing to him than to you."

 

By this time, we had finished washing the dishes. I wiped my hands quickly and went outside to find Donghyuck. Yukhei followed me from behind but he looked more relaxed than I am. I don't know what he meant by Donghyuck and Jungwoo sharing a special connection. After a couple minutes of frantic searching, I found the pair sitting at the edge of the river right outside the village. They didn't seem to be exchanging any words. I was about to interrupt them but then I start hearing Jungwoo sings. (It's another song in Viet. Pretty sad metaphorical lyric.)

 

[Jungwoo]

The river fish drift lonely by itself.

Don't know when I could meet you again.

 

[Donghyuck]

Afternoon, I drift pass you in my wooden boat.

We were poor so love was easy.

Selling sugar cane and speak words of love.


[Jungwoo]

Separated for years,

Just came back to the old home.

Youngest of the Brothers rowed his boat pass me again,

Selling the sugar cane.

 

[Donghyuck]

Willingly leave the old home to get married.

Leaving you in pain,

Reminiscing nights and days.

 

[Jungwoo]

Oh, the sad breeze dance with the river wind.

Who sings that sad tune?

Youngest of the Brothers had left,

Leaving behind this old love.

 

[Donghyuck]

The sugar cane is like my love.

When it's rich, it stupidly forgets about you.

 

[Jungwoo]

Please send the wing of dove,

Fly to that old home.

Youngest of the Brothers is leaving in luxury.

 

[Donghyuck]

Visiting that old home.

Walking in that sad breeze.

Wishing I would keep that old love.

 

I stood there, shocked. The way they sing made it felt like they are sharing their deepest secret with just each other. It's like a secret language I'm not allowed to learn. It made me felt out of place like I'm the one that got in between their relationship. Yukhei walked up from behind me. "Regret yet?"

 

"Shut up," I told him. "I don't understand the song. Where is it from?"

 

"It's a song that Jungwoo wrote when he found out that Donghyuck is leaving," Yukhei answered. "They also sang it on the day that Donghyuck left."

 

"Why can't they just talk normally?"

 

"You city folks have no emotion," The pink lips boy scoffed. "We don't have as much technology as you do in the city so what do you think we do here all day besides working? We sing and make music to keep ourselves entertained, which also made us pretty metaphorical in our words."

 

I didn't say anything back. Instead, I grudgingly walked back to the house in solitude. Never in my life had I ever feel this way. The feeling of the possibility of losing something that I love. No one had gotten in the way of my love for Donghyuck. Not Jisung, Chenle, or anybody but now I feel threatened by two boys who are Donghyuck's old flames back when he was little. Those are the connections that I'm powerless to get in the way of. All I can do is let Donghyuck know how much he meant to be but I don't know if it's enough.

 

"Oh, Mark, have you seen Donghyuck?" I didn't notice I was already back at Donghyuck grandma's house. She looked at me expectantly. "He needs to speak to his brother since they didn't get a chance to talk on the phone the other day. Oh and I also told Donghyuck's brother that you are visiting with Donghyuck."

 

"He's with Jungwoo and Yukhei right now," I answered. "If you need me, I'll be in Donghyuck's room."

 

I bowed politely before walking toward the room where Donghyuck and I are sleeping in. His luggage is still unopened, so I kept myself busy by unpacking for the both of us. I was so focused on putting away our clothes that I didn't see a figure walking in the room. When I turned around to after putting away Donghyuck's shirts, I jump a bit because Donghyuck stood behind me, smiling widely.

 

"You're back," I exclaimed. 

 

"Yes, I am," He said cutely. Donghyuck must be happy about sharing his feeling with Jungwoo. That's why he's smiling so widely right now.

 

"Look, Donghyuck," I gently held his hands in mine. He looked shocked at my action. "I know I will never be as close to you as Yukhei and Jungwoo but I just want you to know I still have a lot more to give you. I love you with all my heart and I hope you feel the same way for me."

 

"I know, I feel the same way."

 

"Really?" I smiled widely. 

 

"Don't worry," Donghyuck hugged me tightly. "I will always love you."

 

Hearing those words made my heart swelled up. I really feel happy hearing Donghyuck saying that with such an honest voice. I pull him away from me just so I can attach our lips together. Donghyuck was surprised but he slowly leans into the kiss. It was amazing. His soft lips feel good on mine. Before I knew it, Donghyuck pushed me onto the bed and climb on top of me. He's never this aggressive before but I freaking love it. I was so focused on him that I didn't hear the fast footsteps approaching the room, especially with all the cricking wooden floor.

 

"HAECHAN, get off of my boyfriend right now!"


 

If you see this coming, then kudos to you. I got butterfly stomach as I write this chapter.

 

Also, I would recommend you, readers, to listen to the songs for a bit to get the feel of the atmosphere. The translation I have isn't literal but it got the idea across. The genre of music is Bolero, which is mainly a Vietnamese genre. Anyway, comment below and tell me how you feel about this chapter.

 

FIGHTING!!!