...In a Movie Set

The One...

DONGHYUCK

 

"So you got to be on a movie set?" A bunch of girls surrounded when we got a break during the show practice session. "We want to hear all about it."

 

The girls, and some guys, just happen to find out that Jaemin got to be on a commercial that used Game of Throne as a parody to advertise a new amusement park. The guy who approached Jaemin and me when we went to the mall was actually an agent working for the advertising agency. With his parents' permission, Jaemin was able to be in the commercial and he dragged me along with him for fun. I wasn't opposing his decision and let him dragged me there. 

 

Now, Jaemin just sat in the center of the whole group of our schoolmates and tell them the whole entire process, including what it's like to be on a movie set. I also vividly remember every detail as it was freaking hilarious. This story about to have more character than your recent tweet. 

 

"When I was younger, I was so intrigued by movie sets, actors, and peepee," Jaemin coughed. "Now that I'm older, I got to be on a movie set, actor, and peepee."

 

"What?" The girls stare at him in shock.

 

"Huh?" Jaemin acted innocent. "I wish." 

 

"What?"

 

"Moving on..." I interrupted before it got hella awkward.

 

"How's the movie set?" Sonna asked.

 

"It's awesome," Jaemin responded enthusiastically. "But there's something that's just absolutely ridiculous. If you never been on a movie set, here's what goes down. Number 1: Overcommunication." 

 

As Jaemin explained to the group what overcommunication mean, I laughed to myself as I remember the stuff that happened due to overcommunication. Of course, there's a lot of reasons to communicate everything that happened on a set. Efficiency, sound, and safety are just some things that popped up from the top of my head but sometimes, it's overkill and not to mention, it's not any human language. 

 

Jaemin was sitting in the middle of the set, waiting for the director to tell him what to do, but everywhere, people are screaming and yelling crazy things at each other.

 

"You know what? Let me get a fill!" 

 

"Copy!"

 

"Audition it!"

 

"Striking..."

 

"STRIKING!!!"

 

"Copy!"

 

"Spraying..."

 

"Copy!"

 

"Martinis up!"

 

"Copy that!"

 

"Last look!"

 

"Stepping in."

 

"Standing by."

 

"Camera speed!"

 

"Sound speed... SECOND STICK!!!"

 

"Copy that! Second stick!"

 

"Copy!"

 

"Copy..."

 

"Copy that!"

 

"Copy you!"

 

"Copy copy!"

 

This was not an exaggeration. The y thing is that language get embedded in your brain. After I got home from the set with Jaemin, I flirted with Mark like...

 

"Stepping in..." I slid into Mark's room. "Hey, I was wondering... if you want to go to, I don't know, craft service together sometime maybe?"

 

"Maybe Saturday?" Mark replied, looking up from his laptop.

 

"Copy that," I grinned. "I finish last looks at around eight so why don't you pick me up around... magic hours?"

 

"Uh... ok?" 

 

"Copy that... That's a wrap on flirting. Excitements in my loin. Exciting frame."

 

That's right, my flirt is like a movie, I mentally praised myself.

 

You mean like the blooper.

 

Shut up, inner Donghyuck!

 

"Number 2: Job description," Jaemin snapped me out of my inner battle as he continued to talk to our group of fascinated friends. "On the set, everyone has a very specific job that they take super seriously, which mean BACK THE EFF UP HOE, and respect my craft!"

 

No one does anyone else's job. No matter how minor the job is.This was very apparent when there was a hair sticking out in front Jaemin's face during one of the opening scenes. 

 

"Ok, picture up!" The director called out. "No, wait, there's a hair on his cheek."

 

"I could just..." Jaemin offered but they ignored him.

 

"Hair... Can we get hair?"

 

"Oh yeah, there's a hair... on your cheek," The make-up artist, who's literally right next to Jaemin, pointed out the hair. 

 

"Can you just..." Jaemin didn't want to state the obvious.

 

"Hair is flying in!"

 

From the back of the movie set, the hair artist burst out from the make-up room and sprinted to the main set. She dodged wires, oncoming props, and me to get over to Jaemin. The girl literally flew over the director and bent over backward to get under the camera just to move the hair a couple inches over from Jaemin's cheek. Jaemin stared at me and the two of us tried our hardest not to laugh.

 

"We got a little bit of the tag in the shot," The director called out again. He looked over to his right side to see a pair of scissors. "Can we get the wardrobe, please?"

 

"Number Tres is HURRY UP and wait..." Jaemin facepalmed himself. "I swear they asked me to get to the set so early and got ready so early and I ended up waiting for three hours before my turn."

 

When the make-up artists were finished on Jaemin's face, we were told to wait in another waiting room. The two of us finished a game of Monopoly, learned how to play Magic the Gathering, and scrolled through our entire Tumblr feed before they called Jaemin again. I swear the older and younger version of Rose from the Titanic was played by the same actress. Everything moved so slow and took forever.

 

"And that's a wrap!" Th director clapped. 

 

"14 hours, not too bad," Jaemin exhaled as he stood next to the director, waiting to see what they have got.

 

"Can we have a replay of the scene today?" 

 

Literally, all that they got was a scene of Jaemin walking through the city. The director even said "wow" and "amazing" and everyone clapped. Jaemin looked like he wanted to kill himself and I tried not to laugh again.

 

"Number four: Blocking..."

 

The first-time Jaemin and I heard this term, we thought Jaemin gonna punch in the face but it turned out, blocking is a process. He gonna stand there, then go there, and hit that pose and so on so forth. Basically, it's rehearsing the movement of the scene. 

 

"Can I see you holding that up?" The director asked.

 

Jaemin held up the cup that he was supposed to hold for the drinking scene. Apparently, there's a glare on the metal cup so the director told him to hold it down a little, then up a little, the right a little, then left a little. In the end, Jaemin was in this position where I saw his hand quivering from holding up this damn cup and the director enthusiastically told him to hit that exact spot. Of course, Jaemin replied with the equal amount of enthusiasm but then he looked at me for help.  

 

"Then, it makes me feel like a bad boyfriend because I couldn't hit the right spot," Jaemin sighed as he retold the event to our friends. The two of us giggled at the inside joke. 

 

When the director said action, Jaemin hit the completely wrong spot. I knew it, the director knew it, and everyone else knew it, but no one said anything because we didn't want to hurt Jaemin feeling. 

 

"I mean oh yeah, that's the one," The director faked. "So good! Right in the middle, that's the spot."

 

On the side, I can hear him whispering to someone to fix the "spot" when they edit the final scene. That was something jaemin didn't hear about until after the shoot was finished.

 

"Last but not least, creepy sound guy," Jaemin wrapped things up. "The whole time we were shooting the scene, all the sound techs were male and they are super creepy. Here's the thing about sound tech. It's essentially a random stranger coming up to you an ask to touch your body with minimal to no words exchanged."

 

I vividly remember this one sound tech guy because he was freaking hilarious. The guy's name was Chuck. He walked up to Jaemin and introduce himself. He put this black wire down Jaemin's shirt and moved it around. The entire time, Jaemin looked at me for help but I was just laughing my off. The Chuck guy keep tying the wire and taping it everywhere on Jaemin's body. 

 

However, the funniest thing is when he had to tape a mic pack onto Jaemin. The mic pack was cold and not just below room temperature cold, it was icicle cold. Jaemin tore through the front of his shirt. The wardrobe lady had to get a different shirt and a hot chocolate for him because of the nip-rip incident. 

 

Not to mention, the sound people always find a way to get the wire on you. It doesn't matter if you are wearing a onesie or nudes, they'll find a way. This one time, Jaemin had to get the sound wire on in a hurry so he had to do it while changing. 

 

"Nice thong," I said to him when I walked in on him changing. 

 

"Umm, that's the mic wire," Jaemin answered, embarrassed. The sound was crap that scene. 

 

That was just the before and after events that happen. The stuff that happened during the scene shooting was just as hilarious. However, Jaemin was too embarrassed to tell our friends so I will tell it to you guys. Oh yes, breaking the fourth wall.


 

Jaemin walked onto the set with everything ready and he handed me his water bottle after he finished drinking it. "So there's a dragon here."

 

"There's no dragon in this scene," The director told him.

 

"Got it," Jaemin answered.

 

"Alright everyone, The Entrance, take 1! ACTION!"

 

Jaemin walked in with a sullen look on his face. "LOOK OUT! A DRAGON!"

 

"CUT!!! There's no dragon in this scene!" 

 

"Crap!"


 

"I know what my father did," Jaemin held up the cup to his lip. "I know the madman earned his name."

 

The scene was going great until Jaemin started an imaginary dragon.

 

"CUT! There's no dragon in this scene!"
 

"Jaemin only stared back at the director with the "Oh come on" look.


 

"My king, Lord Verus would like a word," A servant kneeled before Jaemin.

 

Jaemin stared down at the servant and looked over to his advisor. "Who's that again? LINES?"


 

Jaemin and a servant girl were walking together when the girl spoke up. "My king, how do you pan the seventh kingdom?"

 

"With my dragons..." Jaemin answered as he held up his hand to silence the girl. "...that's right behind me."

 

"CUT!"


 

"The highest pharaoh demanded to enter your castle, my king," A guard entered the scene with Jaemin standing, looking out the window. 

 

"Well, she is not welcome," Jaemin answered.

 

"He..."

 

"Yes, he is not welcome," Jaemin broke out his character right afterward. "Sorry, which character is this again?"


 

"Dragons, ATTACK!" Jaemin yelled.

 

"CUT! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!" The director yelled.

 

"Uh, let me live!"


 

"Lord Snow, they found Brand," A male character walked up to Jaemin.

 

"Brand?"

 

"Yes, the raven boy..."

 

"Which boy is that?" Jaemin asked, confused.

 

"Your brother, Brand..."

 

"Ah, my brother, Brand, yes, Brand... Yo, is he still in this show?" Jaemin laughed.


 

"My king, what should we do?"

 

Jaemin hesitated for a moment before he leaned forward. "Are we in Marin or Dourin? Sorry, which kingdom is this again?"


 

"Excuse me, sir, this is your dragon," A prop person put the prop dragon onto the table next to Jaemin. The prop is basically a green stick with a green sphere on top with two green triangles on the side of the stick. 

 

"This?" Jaemin said in disgusted. "This looks like a giant praying mantis."


 

"Winter is coming... Are you sure? We've been saying this for six seasons."


 

Jaemin the "dragon" and looked over at a servant girl. "My dragon is hungry."

 

The girl nodded and step out of the scene. Jaemin started picking up the prop dragon and played with it, making roaring sounds.

 

"CUT! Stop playing with the prop dragon!"


 

"Can you fill this up with something to drink?" Jaemin up the cup he's supposed to hold for the next scene. I found out later that the people accidentally filled it up with real wine, which explained Jaemin action during the scene. 

 

"The king drinking, take 1, action!"

 

Jaemin sipped from the cup. "Enemies in the west, enemies in the north."

 

"The king drinking, take 2, action!"

 

"Enemies in the west...enemies in the... above the west," Jaemin mentally pointed north, south, east, and west to remind himself. "Enemies in the north."

 

"The king drinking, take 4, action!"

 

"Enemies to the left, enemies to the right and the left," Jaemin slowly gone from talking to whispering, with more drinking. "Everywhere, enemies."

 

"The king drinking, take 10, action..."

 

Jaemin quickly told one last sip. "From the window to the wall, enemies are on these balls."


 

"You are in the presence of King Stormborne, house of dragon, breaker of chain, keeper of-"

 

"Cut cut!" Jaemin yelled out. "I'm sorry. I just don't feel like that describe me, ya know."

 

"The king intro, take 2, action!"

 

"You are in the presence of King Sotrmborne...  Breaker of iPhone charger, eater of Chipotle, champion of flip cup, father of friends with low alcohol tolerances, blood of high sodium level, PRINCE of subtweet."


 

"Jaemin speaking Valyrian, take 1, action!"

 

"Khaleesi Dothraki. Despacito DeeJay Khaled. Quavo Draco More Life-O," Jaemin aid passionately.

 

"Cut!" The director called out. "Are you just saying song titles and musicians name?"

 

"Tsk, no..."

 

"Jaemin speaking Valyrian, take 2, action!"

 

"Bon Appetito, Katy Pery..."

 

"CUT!!!

 

"Jaemin speaking Valyrian, take 3, action!"

 

"実際にこれを読むことができる人々に新年あけましておめでとうございます。私は日本語を知らない."

 

"Cut! Was that Japanese?"

 

"No way..."

 

"Jaemin speaking Valyrian take 39..."

 

"You got it?" The director reassured Jaemin.

 

"I got it."

 

"You sure?"

 

"Yeah, this is the one!" 

 

"ACTION!"

 

"Soldiers! Slay the masters, slay anyone who holds a whip, save the slave. Bring no harm to children and women," Jaemdramaticallylly turn around to face a person holding a whip.

 

"Kill him! Kill him!" The person yelled.

 

Jaemin stared at the guy intensely, the music got louder and louder, and the was approaching. "EXPELLIARMUS!"


 

Sorry for not updating for so long. I haven't felt like writing in a while. Hopefully, this chapter makes you laugh a little bit. Even though I haven't written anything in a while, I'm still thinking of a way to connects the events I'm planning for this story. I'm happy to announce that I've found a way and the story will start progressing now.

 

Happy New Year and Merry late Christmas. May you rest in Peace, Kim Jonghyun, I'm sure you gonna rock heaven above. 

 

FIGHTING!!!