Epilouge

King [Taoris]

 

Tao watched as villagers streamed into the throne room, taking their seats. The volume was high. The villagers were chatting with one another, talking about the castle and the coronation that was about to take place. Yifan was by his side, holding his hand tightly as they watched from behind the curtain. 

Tao was dressed in a stuffy, light grey suit. His normal black cape was fastened to his shoulders. He wore knee high riding boots that royals wore for special occasions. His black hair was slicked back, exposing his forehead. Yifan was dressed the same way, except his suit was black and his cape was midnight blue. His brown hair was now a light silver and was swept to one side. 

Tao flinched when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned to see a tired looking Yixing behind him. 

"Ready baby?" 

Tao nodded, he had been ready for months. After the war,  the werewolves were banished to another part of the world by the higher council. Yixing recovered from the incident, but he always looked tired and beaten down. The princes made it their priority to make Yixing smile as much as possible. 

"Our people await us." Yifan said, pressing a light kiss behind Tao's ear, wrapping a hand around the latter's waist. 

Tao took a deep breath as he let go of the curtains, letting them shield his view. He held onto Yifan, waiting for Yixing to call for their names. 

"Welcome my people." Yixing was now standing in front of the thrones, addressing the audience, "I present to you....your crown princes." 

The curtains were drawn back, revealing Tao and Yifan. The crowd erupted in cheering as the royal couple made their way down the aisle towards the thrones. Tao caught sight of Baekhyun and Chanyeol standing behind the thrones, each holding a crown. King Raon even made a guest appearance. He sat in the front row, beside him was a beautiful woman. Tao could only guess it was Yifan's mother. 

Xiumin and Luhan waved when they caught Tao's gaze. A little girl, dawned in a cute pink dress waved happily at them as she held onto Luhan tightly. Xiumin tore his gaze off Tao and smiled when he saw the flower crown on his daughter's head was crooked. He straightened it before pressing a kiss on her forehead. 

Tao grinned to himself as he turned his gaze back on Yixing. The audience finally stopped clapping once Tao and Yifan reached the podium.  Yixing took a deep breath as he handed Tao a scepter. He then turned to Yifan and handed the taller male a golden sword. 

"Do you, Wu Yifan and Wu Zitao, swear on your life that you will protect your kingdoms with your life? Do you take full responsibility for your people and try to do what is best for them?"

Tao stole a glance at Yifan and nodded, "We do." He replied.

Yixing turned, motioned for a couple servants who were standing in front of a curtained painting. The servants jumped to life as they bowed to their queen and tugged on two golden ropes. The curtains fell to the ground with a silencing thump and the audience fell quiet. 

Tao's eyes teared up as he took in his father's portrait. They had called the best artists to capture Joonmyeon's soft eyes, his good natured smile, his regal posture and his loving heart. Now, resting before him was a portrait, well over the size of his body, of his father. He hung high on the wall, his eyes overseeing the throne room. Joonmyeon had joined Tao's grandfather and his great grandfather on the wall of the kings before. There was a golden plaque hanging underneath the painting, reading 'King Joonmyeon the Great'. 

"In the name of King Joonmyeon, let the exchanging of capes begin."

Tao blinked back tears as two servants approached them. Their heads was down as they carried a cape on a cushion. Tao choked back a sob when he recognized the cape. It was the bright red one that his father always wore. Yixing nodded politely to the servant as he lifted the cape. He held it in his hands as he walked to Tao. Tao flinched when he felt hands on his shoulders. He turned to see Sehun and Kai unclipping his own jet black cape. They shot him a wink as they walked off, his cape in hand. 

Yixing smiled softly at Tao as he gently clipped Joonmyeon's cape to Tao's shoulders. He wiped a tear that escaped Tao's eyes and pressed a gentle kiss on the younger's cheek, "Your father would be so proud of you." He whispered before walking off the podium. Yifan's head shot up when he heard clicking of heels approaching them. He grinned when he saw his mother's gentle features. His mother pressed a longing kiss on his forehead as Kyungsoo and Jongdae unclipped Yifan's midnight blue cape. 

"You have grown up to be a fine, brave man Yifan." His mother whispered as she clipped a black cape lined with sliver to Yifan's shoulders. He blinked back tears once he realized that it was his father's cape. "Be good my son." His mother left one last pat on the cheek before making her way back down to her seat. 

"It is now time....for the crowning." Yixing announced, motioning for Baekhyun and Chanyeol to step onto the podium. The pair had bright smiles on their faces as they walked towards Tao and Yifan, each holding a velvet pillow holding a silver crown. 

Chanyeol stopped in front of Yifan. He grinned, "Hello brother." Yifan chuckled and nodded a greeting. The audience started clapping as Yifan kneeled down, bowing his head. 

"I present to you, the son of Raon and Leeji of the East, King Wu Yifan." Yixing announced, pride swelling in his chest. Yifan's eyes squeezed shut when he felt pressure on the crown of his head. Chanyeol held Yifan by his shoulders and pulled him up, tugging him into a tight hug. Yifan's crown was silver and tall. It had a repeating pattern all the way around with an assortment of jewels decorating the border. 

Tao gulped as he kneeled as well, it was now his turn.  "And I present to you, son of Joonmyeon and Yixing of the West....King Wu Zitao."

The crowd erupted in cheers as Tao felt something be placed on his head. Baekhyun pulled him up and into a tight hug, pressing kisses to the taller male's cheek, "I am so proud of my baby brother." Tao's crown was almost identical to Yifan's, only it was more refined and elegant. Sleek and graceful, just like the owner. Tao wiped tears from his eyes as he hugged his brother back. 

"All hail our new Kings!" Yixing yelled. The crowd jumped up, clapping, yelling, laughing and crying. Cannons burst in the air, releasing rose petals. People were hugging and kissing, cheering and celebrating their new kings.  

The kingdom was finally at peace. 

 

 

It was by nightfall that the kingdom calmed down. The villagers went back to their own homes down in the town. Yifan's mom and dad went back to the east kingdom. The west kingdom was peaceful.

Tao leaned his head on Yifan's shoulder as the taller male intertwined their fingers together. They were all sitting in the throne room, underneath the huge portrait of Joonmyeon.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol were laughing and joking with Jongdae, who kept pouring himself glasses of wine. 

Sehun and Kai were discussing something thoughtfully but Kyungsoo kept rolling his eyes. 

Xiumin and Luhan were playing with their daughter, Ziya. Huge smiles dawned their faces whenever Ziya giggled. Luhan held the baby girl close to his body as Xiumin leaned in. Ziya happily rested her head on her mother's shoulder as her parents shared a sweet kiss. 

And Yixing. Yixing was staring at the portrait of his late husband, rubbing his wedding ring in his fingers as he mumbled something to himself. 

Tao turned to Yifan who turned out, was already staring at Tao. "I didn't get the chance to say this but, happy anniversary." Yifan smiled as he placed a soft hand on Tao's cheek. 

The pair had decided to take the role as rulers formally on the day of their one year wedding anniversary. That gave the kingdom close to eight months to repair damage. Both to the castle and their hearts. 

It was bittersweet, taking the role of his father and mother. But Tao wouldn't have wanted it any other way. He was with his family. Young and old. They had a future to look forward too. 

Filled with many birthdays, Christmases, and anniversaries to come. Tao looked forward for all the simple mornings, the passionate evenings, the adventures, hardships and surprises. He was excited for what came ahead, but he was also scared. 

But he didn't have to be. He had Yifan by his side. 


He pulled Yifan down by his collar, pressing their lips together feverishly. When he pulled away, Yifan was grinning like a mad man. His eyelids were half closed and he looked drunk off the taste of Tao's kiss, "What was that for peach?"

"I love you."

Yifan joined their lips again once more before pulling away shortly, "I love you too." His lips were brushing against Tao's. So the younger could hear and feel those words. Tao pulled away and slowly inched onto Yifan's lap. The taller male wrapped his arms tightly around his husband and rested his chin on the latter's shoulder. Tao took a deep breath as he felt the rising and sinking of Yifan's chest on his back. He examined the room, taking in all the smiles and laughs. He stopped at the gaze of his father's eyes in the portrait. They were familiar, yet the lacked the warmth of the real Joonmyeon. The Joonmyeon who had drove away Tao's nightmares and worst fears, who had trained Tao to be his best, who loved Tao from the bottom of his heart.

  
Although they were eleven in person, they would always be twelve by heart.