3.7

King [Taoris]

Xiumin was the first to react. He spewed out his drink as he stared at the two kings.

"WHAT?!"

Tao's eyes widened as he looked at Yifan hopelessly, "You can't...I'm only 18! I...I can't do this. Running a kingdom. No. Two kingdoms. Why now? Nothing's bad going to happen and I .... AHHHH NO NO NO."

Yifan raced to the younger male, holding him in his arms as he whispered sweet nothings, trying to calm his lover down. Tao's breath was labored as he rocked back and forth, wheezing every once in a while.

"In all due respect...." Kyungsoo smacked his lips together nervously as he looked at his father, "Isn't it a bit early? I mean Tao barely got used to having Yifan as his husband, Yifan is just learning to master his shapeshifting an-"

Raon raised a hand in the air, "What do mean.... shapeshifting?"

Yifan looked up from Tao and grinned sheepishly, "I can turn into a dragon? Actually he's like another conscious in my head. His name is Ryu."

Raon let out a loud laugh as he clapped his hands together, "Even better! This is wonderful. They are definitely ready!"

Tao tried to protest but only gibberish came out of his mouth. Yifan shushed him again and pulled him onto his lap.

Yixing grinned proudly, "Okay if we all agree....we should start planning the coronation!"

Baekhyun cheered as he sat on his mother's lap, "Finally! Something I understand. Alright so I was thinking we should have it at the same spot as Yifan and tao's wedding you know? To have some sentime-"

He was cut off by Tao running out of the room.

Yifan sighed heavily before getting up, "I'll talk to him." 

Yifan groaned as he looked into yet another empty room

Yifan groaned as he looked into yet another empty room.

Where in the world was that boy?

Yifan sighed as he walked outside. There was one place that Tao could be. 
Yifan had found him there on other occasions.

Like when Luhan and Jongdae told him a scary story and he ended up crying. Or when Xiumin ate the last of his ice cream. (That was not a pretty day in the castle.)

Yifan wrapped his cape around him tighter as he stepped out in the early December weather, "Taozi?"

There was silence before he heard a faint 'here'.

Yifan grinned as he walked towards the creek. He knew Tao would be here. 
He frowned once he caught sight of the younger boy.

Tao was curled up on the bank of the creek, tears rolling down his soft cheeks as he stared at the flowing water.

"Tao." Yifan whispered as he took a seat next to the weeping male. Tao sniffed as he leaned against Yifan, burying his face in the latter's shoulder.

"Why are you so upset?"

Tao sniffed again, not even bothering to wipe his nose, "Yifan I'm only eighteen! I'm still a kid! I'm scared of the dark, I can barely control my time powers and I barely even traveled yet. How am I supposed to take care of a whole kingdom.....two kingdoms when I can barely take care of myself."

Yifan cooed as he wiped Tao's nose with his sleeve, "Oh baby..... Remember what you once told me?"

Tao looked up with bloodshot eyes, "What?"

"I was so scared for being the heir to the kingdom. I was unstable, Ryu was trying to shift and I was a mess and who calmed me down?"

Tao looked down as his sniffing subsided, "I did."

Yifan smiled as he pinched Tao's nose, "Yes my love, you did. And you said that I wasn't alone. I had you by my side."

"I did." Tao mumbled, tracing patterns in the wet grass.

"Kyungsoo taught me something else you know. That it wasn't just you I had by my side. I had my brothers, your brothers, your mom, your dad. Tao we can do anything! We are princes, powerful and strong. All we have to do is believe."

Tao looked up at Yifan with a trembling lip, "You think so?"

Yifan grinned widely before pressing a chaste kiss on the side of Tao's lips, "I know so."

Tao smiled as he wrapped his arms around Yifan's neck. Yifan froze, out of surprise but returned the hug nevertheless.

"Thank you Yifan. I don't know what I would do without you."

"It doesn't matter, because I'll always be with you."

Tao scrunched his nose, "Cheesy."

"It's because I love you baby."

Tao gagged but a smile adorned his face as he stared at Yifan.....his Yifan.

Yifan was about to connect their lips when they heard faint coughing behind them. Tao snapped his head to the side, cheeks flushing when he saw Jay watching them. Yifan gritted his teeth in annoyance but motioned for werewolf.

"Do you mind....if I talked to Tao?" Jay asked, approaching the Royal couple.

Yifan looked at Tao quickly before nodding, "I'll head back to the castle, your mom is probably worried."

Tao grinned and pecked Yifan's lips as a quick thank you before pushing the latter playfully. Jay nodded to Yifan as he walked by and waited until he disappeared out of sight.

"So," Tao sighed, looking out at the creek again, "What did you wa-"

"Have you ever heard the story about the wolf princess?"

"What?"

Jay took a seat next to Tao, not too close but still close enough for the younger to feel the werewolf's body heat. Tao glanced at the latter's cocoa brown skin and his bright golden eyes before turning his attention back to the creek.

"There is an old legend.....about loyalty and mates."

Tao shifted into a more comfortable position as he listened to Jay's story.

"Long long long ago, before your kingdom or Yifan's kingdom. There was a wolf princess. Oh, she was gorgeous. Raven black hair, light caramel skin. Not to pale, not to dark. She was young, naive. She had fallen in love with another wolf. A big, strong wolf. They were perfect for each other."

Tao glanced at Jay. He seemed to be taking this story to heart, "Why do I feel like there's a but?"

Jay chuckled at Tao's words.

"You are right. They were so happy, but the brother of the male wolf came to visit one day."

Tao gasped, "Wow! Plot twist."

Jay smiled at the younger's antics before continuing, "The brother had fallen in love with the princess wolf." He smiled slightly when he heard another dramatic gasp from Tao, "But he didn't say anything. He wanted to be loyal. But it was just so hard."

Tao blinked, "Why was it so hard?"

Jay sighed, "You are naive Tao. The guilt, the secrets.....the want, it was building up day by day. The brother's vision was going red, he couldn't tell right from wrong."

Jay stopped.

Tao looked at him expectedly, "Well?"

"Well what?"

"Well, what happened?"

Jay chuckled humorlessly, "Wouldn't I like to know."

Tao raised an eyebrow, "Did you say something?"

Jay shook his head, "I said I would like to know too, that's all I heard of the story."

Tao hummed a reply before turning his attention back to the clear water gently lapping against the shores of the creek.

"What would you like to happen?"

Tao cocked his head in thought, "Hmmm, I would like the brother to find his own love. Someone who he loves more than the princess. That way no one has to get hurt and everyone can be happy."

"You really are naive Tao, life isn't that black and white." Jay muttered to himself.

"Jay speak up, I can't hear you."

Jay forced a grin before standing up, "Come, I bet your brothers are waiting."

Tao watched Jay as he walked away, still confused on what the latter had just told him.
There was something off about Jay and it was really worrying Tao. 

Tao wished for one thing


Tao wished for one thing.

And that was uninterrupted sleep.

But he was a prince.

So he could throw that wish out the window.

He woke up before Yifan . The alarm bells were loud and consistent. They chimed over and over again. Tao leaped out of bed, immediately slipping out of his nightwear and wearing something more suitable for battle. He struggled to button his pants as he nudged Yifan awake.

"Yifan baby, wake up. It's an emergency." Tao shook the older male until he shot up, gasping for air.

Yifan blinked a couple times before throwing off his bedsheet and running towards the closet. Tao grabbed a couple jackets and coats for the two of them before lacing up his leather boots.

"Come on Gege." He yelled, throwing open the chamber door. He peeked his head out into the hallway to see maids and servants bustling about in the stone corridors. Soldiers were marching from place to place, getting in their battle stations. Yifan pushed Tao into the corridor and slammed the door shut behind them. He grabbed the younger's hand before breaking out into a run. They brushed past maids until they entered the armory. The others were already there, getting suited up in their armor  and weapons. A servant aided Tao in getting his armor in place as he checked the condition of his bow and arrows.

"What's the situation." Yifan asked, sliding a couple knives in the hidden pockets of his pants.

Joonmyeon pulled on a metal glove as he looked around the room, taking one last look at his sons, "We don't know. Something is approaching the castle, and they are coming fast. They brushed right past the village so they must be interested in getting something in the castle."

Xiumin cleared his throat, "If that is the case, we must not let them in. We need different lines of defense in each entrance. We send out our soldiers first. We put eight people at the front gates and the others will be stationed in other spots."

Tao shook his head, "No, entering though the front is obvious and stupid. We send the soldiers out first, station them equally in all the entrances. We wait till they attack and then join the fight where we are most needed."

Raon heaved a metal mace over his shoulder as he looked at Jongdae, "Son, have you prepared the silver weapons?"

Jay stiffened at the mention of silver. Even Nuri and Evani looked uneasy.

Yifan frowned, "Father....surely it isn't the werewolves. It could be the night dwellers again."

Yixing shook his head, "No it's almost dawn. They never attack later than midnight. Besides they would not hesitate to attack the village. This is something else.....something more dangerous."

Tao took a deep breath as he sheathed a sword, "Alright, it's time. Be careful and watch each other's backs."

Joonmyeon bit back a smile at the sight of his son taking charge and held his sword at shoulder's level. Tao seemed to get the message and pulled his out too, making it adjacent to his father's blade.

"Tao, I want you to lead this battle."

Tao's mouth dropped as he stared at Joonmyeon, "What?!" 

Joonmyeon smiled, a sight that was so familiar....so homey, "You have grown so much Taozi. You have changed from a child to a real king. You are more than ready."

Tao stayed silent but nodded. The others cheered as Tao grinned. He had a responsibility now, and he wasn't going to let his kingdom down. One by one, the princes unsheathed their swords and lifted it to be at level with Tao and Joonmyeon's.

Yixing grinned as he began the chant, "We fight for our kingdom."

Joonmyeon pressed a light kiss on his husband's forehead, "We fight for our family."

Tao smiled at Yifan, "We fight for what we love."

The rest of the princes grinned and shouted the ended together, "WE FIGHT FOR WHAT IS OURS."

Tao's heart dropped when he heard familiar snarling

Tao's heart dropped when he heard familiar snarling. He could heard the pounding of hundreds of paws running towards them. It was the first howl that set it off. The night sky was soon filled with chilling howls, announcing their attack. Tao wished desperately that it wasn't werewolves but it was pointless. Tao could see from his perch on the highest tower the parade of death running towards them.

There were black wolves, white wolves, the occasionally red and greys. The brown wolves and the ginger ones. They seemed to run like they were the same creature. A long furry, snarling snake coming for Tao's kingdom. Tao shifted back into a human and balanced himself next to the flagpole on top of the tip of the castle, "Hold your positions!"

He yelled, keeping a close eye on the approaching army.

"NOT YET."

Ten yards."

"NOT YET."

Three yards.

"NOT YET."

The two armies met. It was a clash of metal against fangs. Swords against claws. Tao did what he could, shooting arrows at random, hitting any wolf he could. He knew the alpha was here. He had seen the bastard up in front a few miles back. Although he disappeared, Tao knew he wasn't far. Tao could see the defense lines being weakened on the east entrance from his perch.

"Jongdae, Kai and Luhan, east entrance."

Only seconds later, he could see the light blue of Jongdae's lightning bolts.

East was safe.

A loud cry caught Tao's attention. He spun around to see the last solider go down at the south entrance.

"Kyungsoo, Xiumin, Dad, and Sehun. South"

He watched as Sehun swooped down from the sky, his wings stretched out wide as he crashed into a couple of wolves. But most of the wolves were at the front entrance. Tao had a bad feeling about this but there were more important things at hand.

"Everyone else at the front. Kai, Dad, let us know if any of you need help."

Tao morphed into a hawk. He took off, dive bombing to the ground. He morphed back into human as he hit the ground. Tao rolled to cushion his fall and popped back up. Yixing was already at the battle, switching between animals, fighting as best he could. Raon was a monster, swinging his mace around mercilessly. Tao notched two arrows and let them fly. He kept shooting and shooting, occasionally using his metal bow to smack the wolves. Tao fought the best he could, but he felt like that wasn't enough. The others were fighting diligently beside him but he couldn't see Yifan.

Yifan.

That one thought distracted him.

A wolf pounced, knocking the bow out of his hands. Tao tried to pull his sword out but the wolf completely pinned him to the ground. Tao closed his eyes and waited for death.

Nothing.

There was a loud roar and a release of pressure. Tao's eyes shot open to see the wolf get tossed aside like a rag doll by a giant golden dragon. Tao's smile widened as he got back to his feet, unsheathing his sword, "RYU!"

The dragon turned to him, gently nuzzling the latter before speaking, "Jongdae gave me this. These are the pure silver swords, get these to the rest."

Tao nodded as he sheathed his own sword and pulled a silver one out of the burlap sack on the dragon's back.

"You help the others, I'll deliver them." Tao said, heaving the bag off the dragon's back.

Dragon Yifan nodded before shooting up in the sky, blasting fire at the werewolves at tried to near Tao. Tao morphed into a giant lion as he raced towards Raon.

"If you see a very big lion running towards you, that's probably me. I have silver swords for you all."

Tao picked up the pace once he heard the others agree. He pulled a sword out of the sack with his fangs and tossed it to Raon. Raon grinned and patted Tao's head as he raced by. Like that, Tao went from one prince to another, equipping them with silver swords.

The playing field was now leveled.

"TAO! THE ALPHA, HE GOT PAST ME."

Tao froze he heard Jongdae shout through their mind bond.

"I got it! Don't stop fighting, I'll take Jay and Yifan with me."

Yifan smacked a couple more werewolves with his tail before morphing into human.

"JAY!!!"

Tao screamed, he knew the latter would hear him.

"JAY FOLLOW ME!"

He yelled once more before racing back inside. From the corner of his eyes he saw a dark brown wolf running in the same direction as him. Tao grinned as he picked up the pace, knowing that Jay was right behind him. He was first to reach the castle, Yifan ran in behind him and Jay followed them. Tao slammed the doors shut before turning to Yifan and Jay, "The alpha is here somewhere, be careful and stay close."

Yifan and Jay nodded and followed Tao, who kept his silver sword at bay.

"I think he's in the throne room."

Tao turned to Yifan, "Why?"

Yifan scoffed, "He's an alpha, his ego is bigger than this kingdom. Of course he would be in the throne room."

Tao nodded and started in the direction of the throne room.

"Tao be careful." Yifan called out, worried for his younger lover.

Tao nodded and kicked the doors of the throne room open. He raised his silver sword, keeping it at the ready to kick some alpha .

The room was dark and empty. Tao lowered his sword and looked around once more, "I think you're wro-"

He was cut off by slow clapping. Tao's grip on the sword tightened as the claps echoed around the room. Slow, and taunting.

"Well well well, if it isn't Mr. And Mrs. Wu."

Tao stiffened as the alpha came out from behind Joonmyeon's throne. Yifan growled when the alpha sat.

"That is a place for a king. And you are no king." Tao spat, getting closer to the alpha.

The alpha chuckled as he threw back his robe, exposing his face, tainted with countless scars.

"Silly Tao, why would you ever come here outnumbered."

Tao scoffed, "Okay so you're ugly and bad at math. We have three and you have one."

The alpha tutted. Tao's breath hitched as another wolf, a large white one came out from behind Yixing's throne.

"My beta is here with me."

Yifan snarled, "It's still three to two."

The alpha smirked, "Are you sure about that?"

Tao was about to open his mouth when he felt a cold blade pressed up against his skin.

"No...." Yifan stared at him, mouth wide open, "NO."

Tao looked back to see the familiar sight of two golden eyes, "J-Jay?"

He went to grab his sword but it was gone along with Yifan's. They were truly powerless.

"B-but....Jay, you were my friend?" Yifan whimpered, falling to one knee.

Jay kept his stone cold facade.

"I...trusted you."

"I'm sorry."

Tao stiffened when he heard Jay say those two words. He wanted to scream, shout, yell. Jay wasn't sorry. If he was, he would have never betrayed them. Yifan collapsed on the ground as Jay gave him a final kick. He clutched his heart, while his free arm was reaching out for Tao, "No...please don't."

The alpha yawned, "Jay I'm tired, let's leave"

Yifan screamed, yelling 'no' over and over again. But it was for nothing.

The sun had raised. 
A new day had dawned,
And Tao was gone.