3.8

King [Taoris]

Italicized is a flashback:

Jay growled lowly at the guard who just pushed him into the alpha's office. He stopped when he saw the alpha hold up a hand for him to stop.

"Do you take me as a fool?"

Jay gulped as he stood his ground, "No alpha."

"Then tell me why you told me that Tao is your mate when he isn't even a werewolf."

"H-how..-"

"The silver ring on his forth finger. Honestly Jay you really thought that I wouldn't see it?"

Jay cursed himself. He had completely forgotten about the wedding ring around Tao's slim finger.

"And you didn't stop there."

Jay lifted his head, now knowing that he was backed up against a wall. Cornered, exposed and definitely stuck.

"You broke an ancient law by bringing a non-werewolf to my land?"

Jay stayed silent. There was no point arguing.

"Wu Zitao....married to Wu Yifan....heirs of the east and west kingdom." The alpha read off a file, occasionally looking up to make sure Jay was paying attention to every word that was coming out of his mouth.

"Oh that's not even the best part....Jensun."

Jay's eyed widened as his throat contracted. Fear shook his body when he heard a name he hasn't heard in over 20 years.

"H-how...-"

The alpha let out a laugh. A laugh that sent chills down Jay's spine, "I have my connections Jensun. Hmm...lets see," the alpha said playfully as he flipped another page in his file, "First appeared in the Lotus pack in '01 under the name Jun. Then disappeared for a year and showed up the following year pretending to be a rouge looking for a pack. Five packs in your lifetime, impressive. You went by the aliases of Jason, Jin, Juri and....Jay."

The alpha tossed the file on his desk, crossing his arms as he turned to Jay again, "Pack jumping Jensun! You know that's illegal."

Jay sneered, fists tightening behind his back, "Oh yea, tell the higher council. I'll take the punishment."

"Even if it is death?"

Jay faltered, his confidence wavering, "W-What do you want?"

"I want you to betray Zitao and Yifan."

Jay's eyes widened, "NO! Never in a million years." He growled. He might dislike Yifan for getting Tao, but he would never betray him or Tao.
Especially Tao.

The younger male would be heartbroken.....and he would hate Jay.

"No." Jay said again, quieter.

"No?" The alpha hummed, drumming his fingers against the desk, "You know, I'm out to kill Yifan and Tao but, I'm willing to let you have Tao."

"Have....Tao?"

The alpha grinned, "Yes! Make him your mate. I know your dying to place your mark on his pale, untainted neck."

Jay growled loudly, trying to fight down his wolf. No! Tao was his friend. Yifan was his friend. They were happy together.

"W-why are you doing this?"

The alpha sighed, "It goes back 25 years."

Tao let out a loud cry as he came into consciousness

Tao let out a loud cry as he came into consciousness. His whole body ached. His wrists burned, his legs and arms were sore and his head was pounding. Tao wanted to cry, he wanted Yifan. He wanted Yixing and Joonmyeon. But he kept himself together. He needed to think clearly to escape. He tried to mind message first. Tao let out another cry when a sudden pain spiked in his head. He...he couldn't mind message anymore. Tao took a few seconds before opening his eyes. He blinked a couple times, clearing the spots in his vision. He felt his anger bubble when he caught sight of a familiar figure pacing in front of him.

"JAY GOD DAMN IT. GET OVER HERE." Tao roared. He was angry. They took in Jay, treated him like a brother and he turned around and stabbed them in the back. Jay flinched but stopped pacing. Behind him, a few guards snickered but silenced when Tao glared at them too.  "Why can't I use my powers?"

Jay shrugged, "Turns out a little mountain ash in your system weakens royals."

"What the is wrong with you?" Tao growled as he tried to land a kick on Jay's ankles. "Yifan loved you like a brother. We took you in and this is how you repay us? What the were you thinking? Take me back to Yi-"

"Yifan Yifan Yifan, it's always Yifan with you isn't it."

Tao blinked in surprise. He wasn't expecting such a venomous tone from his former friend.

"J-Ja-"

"No Tao. Stop talking and listen to me for once. Really listen." Jay ran a hand through his hair as he squatted down to tao's level, "I ing love you okay? Ever since I saw you in that garden, two months ago. I knew I was gone."

Tao's eyes widened, "L-Love?"

Jay sighed and sat, resting his arms on his knees. He ran a hand through his short black hair, his golden eyes were darting around, as if avoiding Tao's stare, "I'm sorry. I...The alpha said I could have you if I brought you here and betrayed Yi-"

He was cut off by a slap on the cheek. Jay's mouth dropped, his hand slowly making its way up to his cheek, "D-Did you just slap me?"

"Jay are you ing insane? I'm married! I have a kingdom to rule. It's because of your selfish desires that my family is suffering. Look, I'm sorry I didn't notice it before and I'm sorry I can't return your feelings."

Jay's expression dropped as he slumped his shoulders, "But why? Why?! Am I not good enough?!"

Tao sighed, "Jay you're a wonderful person. Well....you were. You just thought you loved me but there are better people out there. I have Yifan. He is my world. Not a day goes by that I don't depend on him. I'm sorry, but I can't return your feelings because I love Yifan."

Jay's eyes darkened. Tao gulped as the once bright shade of gold dulled to a grey before taking on a bright red shade. Tao scrambled backwards as Jay's body twitched. His nails elongated into claws, his teeth sharpened into fangs. Tao kept backing away, his heart falling to his stomach when he felt the cold stone wall on his back.

Jay was loosing control and there was nothing Tao could do.

Yifan poured the last of the healing tonic on his body as he watched Yixing patch up Kai

Yifan poured the last of the healing tonic on his body as he watched Yixing patch up Kai. "Is that everyone?" He asked, sheathing his swords. Baekhyun looked at him with a wary expression, "Yifan I don't think you shou-"

"We're leaving in five. I want everyone out there or else I'm leaving without you." He left the weapons room, slamming the door shut behind him.

Raon stared at the shut doors, a worried expression etched on his face. He was worried for his son. There was no telling what Yifan would do in this state of mind. The first two hours of Tao being gone, his body had shut down. Ryu had weakened and Yifan was a mess. In the next hour he stopped crying and sat in silence as everyone around him continued to clean up from the battle. The next hour was when he first talked. His voice was cold and unforgiving. Raon had never seen his son like this. Sure, he was a bit closed off but never like this. He wouldn't listen to anyone's suggestions or ideas, not even Kyungsoo's. He had one task in mind and that was snapping Jay's neck.

No one got away with taking Tao like that, no matter how loyal they were in the past.

"Guys...." Kyungsoo sighed as he looked over at the disgruntled group. Luhan looked up, face stricken with tears, "I knew it. I ing knew it. He showed interest from day one and I should have told someone....this is all my fault." He broke down, body racking with tears as he dropped his daggers.

Xiumin wrapped his arms around his petite fiancé and tried to calm him down, "This was no ones' fault besides Jay and the Alpha. The werewolves have broken the ancient peace pact and they will answer to the higher council." His voice was cold, his touch was warm. Luhan leaned against the older male, calming himself down before placing a hand over his slightly larger than normal baby bump.

"Why is it so big?" He asked, hiccuping between words. Yixing grinned softly, "We royals' have an advanced reproductive system. The baby grows almost twice as fast."

Jongdae whistled lowly, "No wonder you have so many kids around the same age." He whined when Kyungsoo's shield came in contact with the back of his head.

"Guys, we better join Yifan before he goes out on his own." Baekhyun said, staring out the window, making sure the taller male didn't leave without them. Trying to rescue Tao on his own was a suicide mission. Yixing nodded and pulled Joonmyeon up, "Is your leg okay love?"

Joonmyeon nodded, slowly unraveling his once injured leg. There was a huge gash going down his left calf, but thanks to Yixing it was nothing but a faint scar now. "I am fine thanks to you my angel." He cooed, pressing light kisses on Yixing's soft lips. Their children gagged, trying to shield their somewhat innocent eyes. Xiumin was the only one who was  not effected, "We better say our goodbyes now. We don't know what's going to happen."

The mood sobered instantly. Baekhyun buried his face in Chanyeol's chest, his body raising up and down as his breathing got labored. Chanyeol rubbed the back of his head, periodically pressing kissings on his shorter boyfriend's head, "Don't think like that. We'll all come back safe and sound. I still have to celebrate Christmas together."

Luhan smiled, leaning against Xiumin's armored chest, "It'll be our first Christmas as twelve....and one." He added quickly, glancing at Raon, "Sorry King Raon."

Kyungsoo smiled, showing off his heart shaped lips, "Yea and we'll play Christmas music obnoxiously loudly." Kai grinned, "And wear matching ugly sweaters."

Sehun wrapped his wings around his body, moving closer to Yixing and Joonmyeon, "We'll open presents together." Jongdae smiled softly, bringing everyone a bit closer, "And we'll put ridiculous amounts of mistletoe on top of Tao and Yifan."

Joonmyeon smiled, his gaze sweeping over his four kids and the three princes from the East Kingdom. He silently made a promise in his head. He's going to protect these kids with everything he's got. Because at this point, they are more important. To keep those faint smiles on their faces. To protect their future, their present. Joonmyeon wanted them happy.

Joonmyeon was ready to lay his life down on the line for them.

Yifan shifted into a dragon, pacing the castle grounds as he waited for his brethren

Yifan shifted into a dragon, pacing the castle grounds as he waited for his brethren. His ears perked up when he heard the castle doors open, revealing everyone walking out, with grim expressions, newly healed wounds and new weapons. Sehun spread his wings out, joining Yifan as they lined up to take off. Yixing shifted into a large griffen, the biggest he could do. Raon swung his mace over his shoulder before clambering onto Yixing's back, along with Joonmyeon and Jongdae.

Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Kai, Kyungsoo, Xiumin and Luhan squeezed onto Yifan's back, which wasn't so hard. Dragon Yifan was huge. They took off with a couple powerful flaps on Yifan's huge wings.

"What's the plan?"

Yifan turned his head towards Griffen-Yixing, "We get in, half of us go straight inside, create a diversion. The other half sneak in, I'll take a different route from you guys. Only I worry about Tao. The rest of you get the alpha and Jay."

Everyone nodded and they continued flying in silence. It only took a couple more hours before they reached the werewolf borders. Raon tensed as they descended. Yifan noticed his father was a bit jerky and nervous but he payed no heed to it.

"Xiumin, Joonmyeon, Luhan, Kyungsoo, Jongdae and Chanyeol, go straight. Right through the middle of the gates. Cause as much of a scene as you want." Yifan turned to Chanyeol and Jongdae who were grinning madly, probably already planning a scheme, "I'm only saying this once in my lifetime. Do what you do best."

Jongdae perked up, "Being fearless warriors?!"

"No, being loud, annoying and obnoxious now go!"

Chanyeol ran off grumbling, his hands already creating balls of fire. Jongdae raised his metal rod to the sky, drawing in storm clouds.

Yifan turned to the six remaining royals, "Yixing, Raon, Baek, Sehun and Kai you're with me. Kai I need you to teleport us to the inside, just at the pack house."

Kai went on his tip toes, scanning the area behind the pack house so he could teleport them safely. 
"Ready Kai?"

Kai turned to Yifan and nodded. Stretching out his arm, he grabbed onto Yifan's wrist. They all connected hands before Kai teleported them to the desired destination. There were loud bells, alerting the wolves of the princes' appearance. Yifan could already see walls of fire, water and ice being thrown around. He even caught sight of a couple lightening bolts.  Yifan grinned, watching every wolf guard leave their post to fight the distraction. He was pissed. And somebody was going to pay.

Luhan let out a loud laugh as he made two werewolves crash into each other

Luhan let out a loud laugh as he made two werewolves crash into each other. Xiumin was right by his side, shooting ice daggers at on coming wolves, yet still keeping an eye out for pregnant Luhan. They've been fighting for at least twenty minutes. The more wolves they put down, the more are hopping back up. They were doing well though. No major injuries and they were stable.

But something was wrong, Luhan could feel it. Just then, a loud howl erupted through the white noise of the fighting. Joonmyeon's head shot up as he sliced another wolf's side with a sword before blasting another with a cannon of water. Joonmyeon knew that there were more wolves coming and that they couldn't fight them all. He needed to get the kids out of here and fight by himself. That was the only way he could keep them safe.

" guys, go find Yifan and help him." Joonmyeon yelled, keeping up the fight.

Jongdae scoffed, "Like we're leaving you alone to fend off the wolves."

Joonmyeon glared at Jongdae, his gaze almost rabid, "I said go! I can hold the line. Yifan needs you!"

Jongdae looked at Joonmyeon with a wary look but ran in the direction of the pack house, taking everyone else with him. Luhan was hesitant to leave Joonmyeon but the gut feeling was getting worse. He knew something was about to happen. Something big. He tore down the halls, not noticing that he left Xiumin, Kyungsoo, Jongdae and Chanyeol.

"I'm sorry Tao I wish it could be different."

Luhan froze when he heard a thought. He turned the corner, grimacing as the thoughts got louder and more chaotic. No wonder Jay went all berserk, his mind was a mess and all messed up. Luhan kept walking until he stumbled open a set of open double doors. He peered in and almost cried when he saw a beat up Tao kneeling on the ground. Jay was standing in front of him, keeping a sword level with Tao's chest.

Luhan could see a hooded figure in the corner of the room and he quickly set up a little bubble for himself so he couldn't be seen, heard or detected by any werewolf.

The hooded figure let out a loud laugh as he clapped his hands joyfully, "Ah goodie! They've been caught!"

Tao's breath hitched as he tried to get up. Jay snarled and raised the sword, before kicking Tao back down with the heel of his foot. Luhan took a deep breath, calming himself before he stormed in the room and kick Jay in the balls.

Another pair of doors flew open, Yifan came stumbling in, Raon in tow. A couple of large werewolves brought up the rear, laughing when Yifan tried to run towards Tao. Jay only knocked him down. Yifan was weak and there was only so much he could do after fighting two battles in a row.

"Well well well, if it isn't King Wu Raon and his crown prince." The alpha snorted. Luhan snarled to himself. The stupid alpha was mocking their titles and that was not okay.

"Well would you look at that, Yifan take a peek at your husband. Look at how Jay is holding him. Don't you wish you were doing that?"

Tears formed in Luhan's eyes as he watched Jay hold Tao in a tight hug. The younger seemed to be drifting in and out of consciousness.

"I swear to god I'm going to kill you." Yifan growled, lunging towards Jay.

Jay held a hand up as he positioned his fangs on Tao's neck, "Nuh uh lover boy. One wrong move and I'm marking Tao as my own. Once I mark him, you will never get to have him back."

Yifan let out a loud yell but didn't take another step, "Why are you doing this to me?! We've done nothing! Tao is innocent."

The alpha chuckled, "Yes, he might be innocent but there's someone in this room who isn't."

"Who?"

"Why, King Raon of course. My lovely, baby brother."

Luhan gasped. His heart was pounding. Was the .....was the alpha really his father's brother? Was he really.....Luhan's uncle?

"B-BROTHER?!" Yifan froze, looking in between Raon's crestfallen face and the alpha's pride stricken expression. The similarities was striking. The tall, lean figure. The bushy eyebrows and silky hair. The long nose and the up turned smile.

"Yes, brother. That means I'm your uncle Yifan!"

Yifan spat at the aloha's feet, "You'll will never be part of my family, not as long as I'm alive."

"That can be easily changed." The alpha snapped his fingers. Two guards moved towards Yifan. One holding his body while the other held his neck between his arms. One wrong move. Snap.

"STOP. This is between you and me." Raon finally spoke up, his eyes were bloodshot but he managed to look the alpha in the eye. "What do you want?"

The alpha shrugged as he moved closer to Tao. He took the younger male's jaw in his hand and examined it, slightly pulling back when Tao tried to bite his fingers.

"My name is Wu Yisung and your damn brother stole everything from me." The alpha whined, making his way to Yifan again.

Raon growled, "Guys don't listen to him"

"I was going to marry LeeJi. She was going to be my queen. Then she chose.....him. I truly loved her but of course, she wanted the oh so perfect Raon. I saw her first, she belonged to meI was going to be the king, combine the East kingdom and the werewolves packs but you ruined it again."

Yifan stiffened at the mention of his mom, but he kept his composure as Yisung shifted closer to him, "Shame, it looked like you had such a perfect life. But now, I'm going to take that all away from you." Yisung said that with such ease, as if he was telling a bedtime story.

"Yisung don't do this, this is between you and me. Don't make them suffer."

Yisung frowned, "But that's no fun! Jay, mark him."

Jay smiled widely as he opened his mouth. Yifan struggled desperately to break out of the iron grips of the guards but nothing. He couldn't even turn into a dragon, he was too worn out.

"NO!"

Luhan dropped his protective shield, letting Yisung, Jay and every bad guy know that he was here.

"Let him go." Luhan said slowly and murderously as walked closer to Jay. Jay froze, his eyes glued to Lunan's large, light brown orbs.

"Let go of him."

Luhan said again, but this time with more force. This was the first time he tried mind control with humans. He had gotten it on little rodents and birds but never on anything bigger than a dog.

But right now, everything depended on Luhan succeeding.

"Let Tao go." He said even more slowly, making his voice even more silky.

Jay's eyes slowly glazed over as his grip on Tao released. Tao wriggled away, landing a solid punch on Jay's right jaw. That seemed to snap Jay out of his trance, but it was too late, Tao was out of his grasp and he was furious. Jay took the silver sword from the ground where he had tossed it aside. Luhan thought he was going to start fighting with Tao but he did something else.

He stared at Tao. And said two words. "I'm sorry."

He bowed deeply before pressing the tip of the sword on the chest, right above his heart.

"NO!" Tao yelled, trying to yank the sword from Jay.

But it was too late.

The sword had gone too deep.

And Jay was gone.

Luhan turned to the alpha who looked at him with interest. His guards on the other hand were terrified. "I don't want to get controlled!" One yelled as he raced out the door. The others followed, including the ones that were holding Raon and Yifan back.

Yisung's eyes darkened as he bent over, shifting into a wolf twice the size of the rest of his pack members. Tao was having none of it. He didn't waste time. He grabbed the sword and threw it like a dagger. It was too fast for Yisung. It stuck to his hide, cutting skin and making a hold. Tao, still seeing red with anger, grabbed the mini silver daggers. Chucking one by one.

Each hit the alpha with a thud. Soon he fell, rocking the castle. In seconds there was a howl. A howl that seemed sad and disappointed.

"Guys the wolves are running away! We won!"

"Guys?"

Yifan, Tao and Luhan all heard the next message with heavy hearts, "Not all of us won."

For Tao, the aftermath was a haze


For Tao, the aftermath was a haze.

He could feel Yifan's lips on his own.

He could see the dead bodies of the alpha....who turned out to be Yifan's uncle and Jay....someone who was just looking for love.

He could feel himself running towards the front of the pack house. Each stepped seemed to take him closer to a reality that one of his family members might not have made it.

He busted the door open, running into the empty field. Once filled with werewolves walking around, it was now barren and littered with dead wolf bodies.

He could see Yixing kneeling over a body in the corner. His eyes prickled once he caught sight of a familiar red robe. His whole world came crashing down as he ran towards his mom.

"M-m-m-" Tao tried to say something but no words formed in his mouth.

Yixing was weeping, his hands and head resting on the chest of the fallen. Tao fell to his knees, bow slipping out of his hand as he took in the clawed figure. His face was fine but there was a huge gash on the side of his body.

Yixing was shouting now, yelling for him to come back, trying to heal him. It was too late. He sacrificed himself so Yifan, Tao and the rest of his kids could live.

"NO YOU IDIOT. YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO STAY WITH ME!" Yixing screamed, pressing desperate kisses on those cold lips.

"We were supposed to watch the kids grow....watch them get married...have grandkids." Yixing kept crying, he couldn't stop now. His life was torn apart. He was nothing without his soulmate.

"We were supposed to grow old together." Yixing whimpered, resting his head on his chest, trying to listen for a heartbeat that wasn't there.

The others gathered in a loose circle, unclipping their capes. Tao was the first to cover the body with his black cape. Xiumin laid his midnight blue cape over Tao's. One by one, the princes laid their capes down, choking back sobs for someone who was never coming back. The fight was over. The battle was won, but they felt like they had lost.

It was all over.

Sehun rose, raising a hand, letting the message travel through the wind "Spread the word......King Joonmyeon is dead."


 

The end.

 

PHEW!

Well.....please don't hate me. 
There is an epilogue coming but the story had ended.

That was my longest book guys! I'm super proud of myself for finishing it!

I would like to thank every single person who read, voted and commented on this story, it really means a lot to me.

Your comments never fail to cheer me up and I hope you continue supporting me!
I have so many ideas and fun books and I would love to share them all with you!

But for now, this is the end to our small journey.

It was fun!