CHAPTER 8 [Disaster, Burnt, Reconciled – Begin!]

Love Me Like It's Real
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

*

 

 

 

 

Jeonghan’s nose scrunched up upon smelling something burnt. The sleepiness still left in him all flew away the moment he realized something indeed was burning. With hurried steps, he sprinted towards the source of it and saw Seungcheol standing in front of the kitchen’s stove, his face filled with obvious frustration as he stared at the burnt eggs and bacon with his brows forming a single line that Jeonghan wasn’t sure if they were really eggs and bacon to begin with, if not for the cracked shells and empty packets with a bacon label scattered messily at the table.

They looked more like bits of charcoal than they originally were, and that made his mouth form a cringe.

The sight of Seungcheol cooking in the kitchen was very unusual, but Jeonghan found himself laughing so hard that Seungcheol’s face became deprived of color as he finally noticed him guffawing at his failed attempt to cook breakfast.

“J-Jeonghan? Stop laughing! You’re hurting my ego,” Seungcheol tried to speak arrogantly but failed when he noticed the sheepish smile his husband was trying to stifle. Seungcheol averted his gaze towards the burnt foods then back at him. With a retreating sigh, he mumbled, “I specifically made this for you. I guess the trash bin will eat this instead.”

Jeonghan’s heart went thumping crazily. Seungcheol muttered his last words with so much tenderness it brought warmth and peace in his heart, and it’s really something new for him.

He liked it. He liked how it sounded so good and true in his ears. The disappointment in his voice knowing what he cooked for him would go into waste…

‘I guess the trash bin will eat this instead.’

He felt a violent protest in his heart.

“No, I want to eat it!” he insisted, determination was written all over his face.

Seungcheol looked at him as if he’s some sort of a mythical creature who suddenly appeared before his eyes. Jeonghan virtually rolled his eyes and strode closer, examining the foods which screamed ‘danger’ and ‘upset stomach point two’, but to his eyes, they looked perfect—because Seungcheol said that he cooked it specifically for him, and yeah, he cooked it.

“I want to taste them,” he said with a slight pout, hoping his charm would work on the other man.

Seungcheol shook his head and pushed his hands gently away from the burnt foods when he tried to pick up a piece of charcoaled bacon. “No, I’ll just cook again. This time, I swear I already got the hang of it. I already learned that I need to lower the fire, thanks to Google.” Seungcheol bashfully said, turning away with his cheeks slightly blushing in embarrassment.

Jeonghan stood frozen.

Is this just a dream? A product of my wild imagination?

“A-Are you sure? I could help, you know,” he offered with sincerity.

Probably feeling insulted with his persistence, Seungcheol scoffed and dismissively waved his hands. “Come on, cooking isn’t that hard. Just do me a favor by sitting down at the counter and wait for me to finish.” He gestured his hands towards the kitchen counter but Jeonghan remained still.

This is just a dream. I knew it. I’ll wake up anytime soon and Seungcheol will be back to his normal self. This is too good to be true!

“Jeonghan? ‘You okay?”

Seungcheol, I should be the one asking you that. Are you okay?

“H-Huh? I’m—”

“—crying. You’re crying.”

Jeonghan flinched when he felt his husband’s palm on his cheeks, gently wiping the tears he didn’t know that fell down from his eyes. Seungcheol’s face was deprived of any expression, but he could clearly see concern clouding in his eyes.

If this is just a dream, I’m glad I got to have you in it…

Jeonghan held the other’s hands and cupped them with his own, savoring the warmth they emitted on his face. He caught his eyes and softly smiled, eyes still b with warm tears.

“I’m okay. I just couldn’t believe this day will come…” he mumbled with a grateful smile, gripping the other’s hands tightly.

Seungcheol surprisingly answered his smile. “Me, too.”

“Can you pinch me? So that I’ll know this is real.” Then he let go of the other’s hands, waiting eagerly for the pain that would determine the reality of their situation.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter