CHAPTER 20 [“I’m your… daddy.”]

Love Me Like It's Real
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 20 [“I’m your… daddy.”]

 

*

           

“Wow,” Seulgi bemused, her little eyes sparkling with fascination. “Whose castle is this, appa?”

Wonwoo giggled. “This is not a castle! Castles have kings, queens, and soldiers. I don’t see any!”

The Choi mansion had still been how he remembered it to be – grand, regal, and overwhelming. It was overwhelming in a sense that every corner of it still screamed elegance and class. Nothing below the level of ‘best’ was allowed inside and out. Nothing had changed, except for a few furniture here and there. It was so breathtaking, yet its beauty wasn’t enough to shake off the riot that was inside his head.

It was the day that he decided that it was finally time to face the reality that he had been trying to avoid. The sun had just risen when they arrived at the Choi’s estate without telling the residents beforehand that they were coming. He told the twins that they’d be visiting some relatives, which was not a lie, but also not the whole truth, either.

When they arrived, they were greeted by a house helper that seemed to recognize him. It was a relief since he didn’t know how to introduce himself once she asked him who he was and what he needed. Would it be, “I’m Yoon Jeonghan, the Choi elders’ ex-son-in-law” or “Seungcheol’s ex-husband”? It was too awkward even just thinking about it.

He was also glad that she did not dare ask who the kids were. Whatever her thoughts were, he was glad she kept them for herself only. He politely asked her to take the two in the guest room and have someone to look after them, then notify the elders of his presence. He specifically told her that it’s urgent, which she seemed to understand clearly why.

 

***

 

Jeonghan heaved a deep breath. What would his kids’ reaction be once they saw their other set of grandparents? What would the grandparents’ reaction be once they knew the kids as well?

Jeonghan splashed cold water on his face and stared at his features in the mirror of the restroom. His eyes were the clear indication of the stress he was currently in to.

Is this really the right time? he thought, studying his reflection as if it would answer back. After some time of pondering, he shook his head. If not now, then when? Cowardice is cruelty, Yoon Jeonghan!

There was evident fear in the face that looked back from the mirror.

He doesn’t even deserve to know about their existence since he said he didn’t want to do anything with me anymore. If… if he finally knew about them, then we have no choice but to share custody with the kids and interact and…

He sighed.

Who am I kidding? He might even take them away from me… was the last of his thoughts before the helper knocked and announced that the elders were finally ready to face him, setting aside the truth that it was the supposedly unavoidable interaction with his ex-husband that made him more anxious rather than him taking the kids away.

 

***

 

The elders were already inside the spacious library when Jeonghan came in. Surprise, warmth, and happiness were clearly seen on their faces as they watched him slowly walk towards them. When their eyes met, Jeonghan forced his lips into a shape that he hoped might resemble a smile.

“Jeonghan, what a surprise! Why didn’t you tell us beforehand that you were coming? We could’ve thrown you a party, dear. We missed you so much!” Mrs. Choi said as she stood up and imprisoned him with a very tight embrace, too tight that he almost ran out of breath if not from the gasp that was unintentionally released from his mouth.

“Honey, Jeonghan couldn’t breathe anymore.” Mr. Choi said with a smile. He looked pale and sickly, but that did not lessen the aura of a powerful man that he always had. He smiled back to the old man.

“I’m so sorry, dear! I was just too delighted to see you again,” she apologetically said as she scanned him from head to foot. “Jeonghan-ah! You lost weight. Have you not been eating well? My, my. I’ve seen corpses that look healthier than you do!” she exaggeratedly commented which made him finally relax. He thought that the first thing that would come out of their mouths were disappointment for not contacting them for years.

After the pleasantries and giving the gifts he bought for them, he decided that it was finally the time to tell them his true agenda. But before he could start, Mr. Choi had beaten him to it.

“Have you and my son already talked?”

There was an awkward pause as Jeonghan fidgeted on his seat. Could it be that… they already knew?

“I… We met at a shop yesterday. He’s with… he’s with his new wife.” Or not? Jeonghan, you’re fishing for information, huh?

The two chuckled. Mrs. Choi dismissively waved her hand before she said, “No, no. She’s now the ex-girlfriend. For the second time around, if you know what I mean.”

Jeonghan blinked. “Oh.”

He tried to look as nonchalant as possible, even though there were so many questions running around his mind. It wasn’t easy, but he managed. He didn’t want the elders to have their hopes up. He knew they were still hoping that they could still get back together.

“’Oh’ as in, Oh, okay , or Oh, I’m relieved?” Mrs. Choi asked with a grin.

Instead of answering, he opted to end the tension that was slowly forming in his gut. “A-Actually, I have something else to tell you…”

The two nodded, silently urging him to continue. Their faces were now serious and gone was the playful aura around them. He was constructing the words in his mind when he suddenly shivered, as if someone had just slipped a piece of ice along his spine. There was a strange feeling of being watched, so he stopped and looked around, but saw no one. You’re just being paranoid and scared. Go spill the beans! Get it done and over with!

He took a deep breath and finally revealed, “I have kids. Twins, exactly. A boy and a girl who’ll be turning six in a few months’ time…”

Both of them were silent for a minute, as if digesting the information he just spilled. It was Mrs. Choi who spoke first. “Oh… Did you bring them with you? How about their father? You must be happily married now, huh? Congratulations, honey…”

Jeonghan closed his eyes. This isn’t as easy as I thought it would be while I was practicing in front of the mirror!

“Listen, Seungcheol is their father—”

“—what did you just say?” Another voice boomed from the other side of the library, specifically fr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter