CHAPTER 24 [Sometimes you have to get lost to be found again]

Love Me Like It's Real
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 24 [Sometimes you have to get lost to be found again]

 

***

 

“I want to ride a hewwycopter again, daddy!” Seulgi exclaimed happily and beamed a brilliant smile, and it only took Seungcheol a quarter of a millisecond to beam back a thousand-watt smile.

‘Daddy’, finally. His face warmed with glee. “Of course, baby. Anything for you.”

“With Jeonghan appa?” Wonwoo asked, his tiny eyes fixed on him with anticipation.

He ruffled the kid’s hair. “Definitely. He’ll kill me if he got left behind,” he answered with a chuckle, remembering the phone conversation they had a while ago. We’ll be okay soon, right?

“Nope! Jeonghan appa is kind, he will not kill you.”

“Yeah, he even cried when he tried to kill the cockwoach, right, Seulgi?” The other kid nodded her head.

Seungcheol rubbed his chin, thinking deeply. “Isn’t that because he’s afraid of cockroaches, too?”

“Yep, that’s why we all cried,” Wonwoo sheepishly admitted, earning a boisterous laughter from everyone.

 

***

The cheery scene of his kids and their other father seemingly having a good time was what greeted Jeonghan. It surprised him at how the twins naturally accepted their other father’s sudden appearance in their lives. Maybe because they’re still young and really longed for their dad that they didn’t need an in-depth explanation of the situation. They’re too young and their innocence didn’t need rationalizations, so it’s easier for them to accept some things that for adults were considered complicated. One day they were asking about their dad, then the dad showed up, and they patched things up easily. No grudges, no raised voices, no confrontations. That simple.

He sighed inwardly.

Why couldn’t it be the same with adults? Why should everything be difficult? Why couldn’t a simple ‘I’m sorry, I won’t do it again’ be enough?

Deciding that thinking of things that wouldn’t have an explanation wasn’t worth his time, he decided to let his presence be known by clearing his throat. It quickly got the three’s attention as they turned to him and with a huge smile on his lips, he urged the kids to give him a hug. They immediately lunged forward with a delightful squeal and tackled him, and thank heavens for the very soft carpet rugs or else they all would have fallen down on the hard floor, bruises and all.

“Whoa! Easy there, my giant babies,” he exclaimed, laughing as the kids rained wet kisses on his face. He was glad they were happy to see him. “I’ve just been gone from your naughty asses for a few hours and you missed me already, huh?”

“They obviously do,” Seungcheol said. His lips curved in a smile, showing the dimple on his right cheek that charmed lots of people, especially him.

Before! That was before!

He scowled at the other in response to let the other know he still wasn’t off the hook and immediately turned his gaze back to the kids and ruffled their hair, trying to distract himself from the unwanted feelings that Seungcheol was bringing him. “And whose fault is that? You left without notifying me,” he grunted, trying to sound annoyed. He stood up and helped the kids, too.

“We were trying to call you many times, appa, but you weren’t answering until your phone died,” Seulgi said with a pout, her small eyes glaring up at him. “Where were you? You didn’t tell us you’re leaving.”

Jeonghan’s expression softened, feeling guilty as he realized he completely forgot about his kids and managed to prioritize his own feelings before them. “I’m sorry. I just went to Uncle Jun to… uhm, he asked me to help him bake,” he lied, hoping the kids wouldn’t ask anything further.

“Bake? I love cakes! Did you bake a cake, appa, or is it cookies?” Wonwoo chirped in, his eyes wide in anticipation. The kid had a huge appetite, like him. He inwardly smiled as he softly pinched his chubby cheeks.

“Let’s bake whatever you want tomorrow, yeah?” The kid nodded his head enthusiastically. His face warmed with love for his kids. Then suddenly, he remembered to ask, “Oh, by the way, where are your grandpas and grandmas?”

“They went to a spa lounge, saying they all need pampering to look cool and young for the wedding anniversary party,” Seungcheol answered. His eyebrow arched to an immeasurable degree when Seulgi asked to be carried, which the other gladly did and now the little brat was happily placed in his father’s arms. They’re this close now?

Jeonghan tapped his chin, thinking. “Crap. I forgot it’s their 35th anniversary in two days,” he muttered guiltily while recognizing how terrible of a son he was. He had never forgotten their anniversary. He was surprised when a chuckle escaped from the other.

“Oh, no. You haven’t bought them presents yet?” Seungcheol asked, sounding concerned, but the playful smirk on his lips gave away the fact that he was just teasing him. He knew what he was playing—he was toying with his guilt because he was up to something. His eyes narrowed and he scowled, not caring if their kids were watching.

He was surprised when Seungcheol squeezed his eyes closed and laughed, letting off a nice throaty sound which made his pulse bump up. “I haven’t bought one, too. ‘Want to shop before they get back, or you want to rest first and do the shopping tomorrow? It’s just four in the afternoon, anyway,” he offered with a smile.

Jeonghan felt a tug in his heart upon realizing how often Seungcheol smiled at him now, and he felt scared with the way his heart reacted. What if he lost control and started pining for him again? That would be a complete torture, right? It would be a breach to what he promised himself years ago – to only focus his love for his self and his kids and no one else.

“Appa! Mall!” Wonwoo exclaimed as he took his hand and shook them excitedly, his small bright eyes looking up at him in anticipation. If he said yes, then that would be officially the first time that they’d go out as family. Suddenly, the image of them all walking side by side filled his mind. A complete, happy family he had always imagined.

He turned his gaze at Seungcheol, meeting his gorgeous brown orbs, and he noticed that he was holding out his breath in anticipation for his answer. He smiled at him, and surprisingly, he returned the smile. His heart felt tight with emotion as he held the other’s affectionate gaze.

“That’s a yes?” Seungcheol asked breathlessly. He nodded. We’ll just go to the mall, what’s the harm in that?

“Yes! New toys!” the kids shouted in unison, earning a big laughter from them.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter