CHAPTER 12 [The only thing worse than guilt is fear of getting caught]

Love Me Like It's Real
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 12 [The only thing worse than guilt is fear of getting caught]

 

*

 

Jeonghan’s planned dressing-myself-up activity before his best friend came had come into a halt before it even began when Jun volunteered himself (albeit forcefully) to be his fairy godmother. He just found himself shoved inside his friend’s car and then they were headed to the nearest mall. He wasn’t even able to protest because of utter shock, mind you. And now they were inside a well-known boutique, assisted by at least four sales staff, all of whom were cheekily smiling with sparkling eyes due to knowledge of how much clothes Jun buys from a single shopping and thus, their sparkling high commission at the palm of their hands.

 “I appreciate your kindness, but… darn it, Jun! Have some consideration, please? We are not going to play Barbie Dress Up where you can just freely choose the clothes you like for me just because it seemed appealing to your eyes. Once again, your eyes,” Jeonghan fumed irately when his friend tossed him a hundred pile of clothes which were all either pink, purple, orange, or combination of the three colors. Those colors were Jun’s favorite and he started to get suspicious the moment he tossed him the first garment, which was a very bright purple dress shirt.

Jun’s face turned paper white, obviously appalled by his sudden outburst. Jeonghan then realized how ungrateful he acted. “J-Jun, I… I’m sorry, you know I’m not really this obnoxious. I was just too nervous—”

Jun raised a hand to stop him from explaining.

“Angel, there’s no need to explain,” Jun said as his expression softened, offering him an understanding smile. “I understand how you just want everything to be perfectly done. I’m sorry, too, because I got too excited that I forgot I should pick clothes for you and not for me,” he continued and sheepishly chuckled.

Jeonghan felt relieved that Jun did not take his outburst to heart.

“Come to think of it, why don’t I just leave you with these beautiful ladies so they can assist you better, then I could shop for my own?” Jun suggested with a mischievous grin which made him roll his eyes.

He crossed his arms together and faked a disgusted look, “I knew the moment you dragged me here that you were just using this opportunity so you can have someone to carry all your shopping bags for you when we go home, you opportunist.”

All of them, including the four sales staff, laughed in unison. They ushered him to the new arrival section and started voicing out their suggestions in which he gladly considered. Meanwhile, Jun started fitting the tons of clothes he picked, assisted by two giggling ladies. He assumed they were trying to hit up with him with the way they were giggling at every nonsense his friend was spluttering and the obvious ‘shy’ flipping of their hair every time Jun was looking at them, plus the ugly smitten look they were wearing.

After what it felt like a lifetime of picking up the right clothes, Jun suggested, albeit with finality, that he should undergo hair makeover since his hair had always been styled plain and long since their puberty days. He skeptically agreed, doubtful whether a change of hairstyle would be good for him or not.

“Mild… or wild?” the hairstylist asked once he was settled on his seat. He gulped down a huge lump of nervousness as he watched their reflection on the mirror – him covered with red cutting gown, the hairstylist grinning beside him while inspecting his long, loose hair and seemingly ready to chop off all of it any time, and Jun smiling slyly. His heart started thudding against his chest, thudding so heavily that his throat seemed to vibrate along with it with every second that passed.

Jun then chuckled and coolly said, “I like it wild. Style it drastically wild!”

Jeonghan’s eyes bulged and he cried Jun’s name with a hint of a warning, but the Chinese ignored him and instead he added, “Too wild it would make it seem like he’s a different person, yet a lot more handsome and prettier, alright?” He winked at their reflection on the mirror and Jeonghan shuddered while the hairstylist nodded his head rather enthusiastically.

He sighed in retreat as the hairstylist started cutting the edges of his hair. He closed his eyes and convinced himself that it’s just hair, it will grow back in no time if he did not like the result. The hairstylist explained that it will be a lot shorter than it originally was, and that he would love it so he just had to trust him.

Trust? Wasn’t the best way to find out if you can trust somebody was to trust them? So he really had no choice… He had to accept the result, whatever it was, with a blind eye.

He stayed still and silent as he prayed for the outcome of his hair.

It will grow back, Jeonghan.

After more than half an hour of hair makeover, Jeonghan was finally able to witness the result of the hairstylist’s experiment. His eyes couldn’t leave his reflection on the mirror, as if it was glued, that he wasn’t able to see the triumphant exchange of glances of Jun and the hairstylist, with Jun giving the other two thumbs up. He touched his now shorter, bob-styled hair which barely reached the end of his nape.

If he were to compare himself from the present and the past, he would definitely say that he looked years younger now than he did before. As what the hairstylist had said, his new look completely suited him, disregarding the fact that he was still yet to be used to the lighter weight of his crowning glory.

“I… I—”

“—like it?” the hairstylist interrupted.

Jeonghan shook his head, “No. I love it!”

“See? I told you it’s high time you change your preferences. Change is a good thing.” Jun said as he played his hair with his fingers. “Soochan,” he called the hairstylist. “What style do you think would make anyone swoon over me, especially a hard-headed, noodle-haired Chinese guy? Well, it’s not like I’m not swoon-worthy right now. I just want to make sure I get everyone’s admiring eyes every time I walk by.”

Jeonghan squinched up his eyes in disgust at his friend’s overconfidence.

The hairstylist examined Jun’s hair (and face) for a few seconds before a smirk was drawn on his face, “I think I have the perfect hairstyle just for you. Should we do it now?”

Jun shook his head and apologetically smiled, “Sorry, but let’s do it some other time because this guy here,” he said and motioned Jeonghan who flinched at the mention of his name. “He’s got a date with his husband in a while and I can already feel his murderous glances boring holes in my skin. So, if you excuse us, Soochan?”

The hairstylist clasped his hands, “Oh, yeah, sure. Until next time. Thank you for dropping by, Sirs,” he answered and bowed respectfully. The two of them thanked the other and finally bid their goodbye.

 

***

 

Jeonghan still had two hours before the date; an hour and fifteen minutes if you’d minus the forty five-minute travel time he needed to get to the restaurant. He wanted to laugh at Nanny Park’s expression when she opened the door for them – she seemed really surprised by his new look that she didn’t even move to make way for them and instead, with bulging eyes she stared at Jeonghan and gasped.

“Jeonghan, is that really you?” she spoke and finally moved sideways so they can enter.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter