CHAPTER 13 [Dreams vs. Reality: The Calm Before the Storm]

Love Me Like It's Real
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 13 [Dreams vs. Reality: The Calm Before the Storm]

 

*

 

  Jeonghan quickly ran at the far end of the restaurant where he saw Seungcheol’s familiar figure.  “S-Sorry I’m late!” he apologized as he bowed his head really low when he finally reached his husband. “We didn’t expect we’d get stuck in a traffic—”

  “Please, just sit down, Jeonghan,” Seungcheol dismissed in a cold, harsh voice. Although taken by surprise by the other’s coldness, he decided to follow him and tensely pulled out the chair in front of him and sat down. Clasping his hands tightly under the table, he lowered his head so he could avoid Seungcheol’s ice-cold, piercing eyes.

  He’s almost an hour late due to a traffic accident in which thankfully, he wasn’t in. Two cars collided and when that happened, they were barely just five blocks away from home, still too far from the restaurant to just walk his way through. Besides, walking was not a really good option because the weather was bad. It had been raining so hard since they left the house, and the sound of roaring thunders and the scary appearances of lightning in the dark sky with its many branches and fork scared him so much. He also left his phone at home, and Jun’s phone was drained so he couldn’t inform his husband.

  Perhaps because of all the misfortunes they encountered, Jun suggested he should just cancel the date, but as soon as he heard it, his heart, mind, and mouth protested. Opportunity knocks only once, he believed. When they finally reached their destination, he didn’t even dare to check how he looked at the mirror to check if he looked fine, nor bid his friend goodbye and to thank him for driving him safely. All that was in his mind was a prayer that Seungcheol was still there, waiting patiently for him to arrive. And oh, he felt a couple of relief when he saw his familiar figure. He quickly dragged his feet towards him, expecting his husband to be worried (albeit a little pissed, that’s understandable), but he didn’t expect him to be like that – cold, scary, and intimidating.

  He knew it was his fault for making him wait for an hour without notice, but he was expecting his husband to at least show some concern and worry since he’d never know if he was actually the one who’d been in the accident, right? What if he was in one of the cars that collided? Had that thought never occurred to him? He wanted to be upset, but he just fought the sprouting feeling for he knew it would do no good in the situation.

  He slowly lifted his head and his eyes met Seungcheol’s – they were fuming with rage. Jeonghan opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out for he didn’t know what to say in the first place. In the end, he closed his mouth and waited patiently for his husband to speak his mind, disregarding the fact that he was trembling in nervousness for what was yet to come.

  Seungcheol cleared his throat. “First of all, you look terrible in that new hairdo,” he told him tersely, “I wonder what made you do that.”

  Jeonghan’s face turned pale in shock, hurt, and embarrassment. He wasn’t expecting to hear those hurtful words out of his husband’s mouth first hand.

  Tears started b in his eyes.

  “Second, I already found out that you are not pregnant,” Seungcheol spoke slowly, emphasizing every word as he crossed his arms together and gave him a daunting look, as if challenging him to oppose. But Jeonghan just froze with horror, and if only his face could possibly get any paler, he’d surely camouflage together with the white cotton tablecloth and the linen napkins.

  Seungcheol smirked dangerously. Voice filled with sarcasm and mockery, he added, “Why? You think I will not find out about this little scheme of yours? I am not that dumb, my dear wife. I already found out a day after you spread your lies. I had you investigated.”

  “S-Seungcheol…” Jeonghan’s whole body was shaking, his vision unclear because of uncontrollable tears.

  Seungcheol chuckled darkly, “Ah, it was fun seeing you try so hard to make us believe that you indeed carry my child. But now, playtime is over. You know what that means?” he leaned over the table and lifted Jeonghan’s chin with his fingers. “It means we are getting divorced,” he whispered softly which sends shivers down Jeonghan’s spine.

  Although the way Seungcheol spoke those words was calm, on the other hand, his mind was far from being calm. His mind was filled torturous thoughts it was hard for him to create a coherent explanation. Automatically, his hands moved as he grabbed Seungcheol by the arms and held them tight, “P-Please, hear m-me out. I have an e-explanation. Please…”

  Seungcheol’s eyebrow raised questioningly, “Please what? Please make you really pregnant, as what your friend suggested?”

  There was a loud boom inside his head, like a bomb which detonated specially inside his ears. “No! Please listen to me—”

  “—Jeonghan?”

  “It wasn’t my intention, Seungcheol. I was just—”

  “Yoon Jeonghan! Wake up!”

  Jeonghan’s eyes fluttered open upon hearing Jun’s panic-stricken voice. Gasping for breath, his eyes roamed around to find out where they were. Realizing that they were still inside his friend’s car, he finally concluded that everything was just a dream.

  “’Seemed like you were having a bad dream, Jeonghan. You got me so worried.”

  Relief flooded him, his breathing slowly coming back to normal.

  The dream seemed too real – Seungcheol’s rage, his embarrassment, the pain and sadness he felt… Was that how he had always imagined Seungcheol’s reaction would be?

  It’s too scary…

  “What did you dream of?” Jun asked as he eyed him both with curiosity and concern.

  Jeonghan heaved a deep sigh, “I dreamt about Seungcheol. In my dream, he already found out the truth before I even tell him and he was asking for a… d-divorce…” he stuttered, the word ‘divorce’ seemingly became too hard for him to speak.

  Jun shook his head sympathetically. “Paranoia really got you, angel. Remember, whatever happens, you’re already making a progress about winning his heart—”

  “But can we really have our happily ever after?” he asked, like a child asking his parent for an assurance that the needle from a syringe doesn’t hurt too much.

  “Well, I really don’t believe in happily ever after because it’s just made for fairy tales, to make children believe in something good,” Jun chuckled nervously, then kept a straight face on as he caught Jeonghan’s eyes. “But to calm you down, yes, I believe that you and Seungcheol are really meant for each other, honest. Nothing’s impossible, Jeonghan. Improbable and unlikely, but never impossible,” Jun meaningfully said, eyes showing utmost sincerity. If he was just saying that because he’s his best friend and that’s what he wanted to hear, then he succeeded in making him relaxed.

  “Thank you so much, Jun—” His eyes caught the luminous signage of the restaurant.

  “S-Seungcheol!” he gasped, rather hysterically. “What time is it?”

  Jun smirked, “Six minutes before seven. Just in time, angel.”

 

***

 

  Will he come? Seungcheol asked himself for the ninety-seventh time.

  Or did he change his mind?

  He shook his head violently.

  Ah, I think I’m going crazy for talking with myself!

  He checked his phone for any message from Jeonghan, but all that he read were messages from his secretary informing him about the new batches of meetings he had in line for the next two days. Sighing anxiously, he turned off his phone and decided to take one last look of everything he had prepared. When his eyes were contented, he straightened his back on the chair and took a quick glance at his wrist watch.

  Eleven minutes before seven in the evening.

  He wanted to dial Jeonghan’s phone number and call him, ask him where was he, or was he on his way. But if he did that, wouldn’t that be as good as an admission that he’s afraid he’d get stood up by his own wife, on their very first date?

  That’s uncool and embarrassing. And very unlikely of him. He’s a man of confidence, everything he risked for shall be made with confidence. That’s how busi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter