Midnight Rainbow

Summer Solstice

Jessica and Krystal have been sent to their new home in Cheongdam.

Krystal was wide eyed to see the castle. It is dilapidated and is in a bad condition.

"Is this where we're going to stay?", Krystal asked in despair.

"It couldn't be worse inside, perhaps", Jessica did her best to be optimistic. Hand in hand, the sisters went inside the palace.

How bad the outside is even better compared to what's inside. The walls and ceilings are full of cobwebs. The furnitures have missing legs or have been destroyed by termites. Even the windows are broken.

"It feels like no one has lived here for a century", Krystal said. Her face is showing disappointment. 

"I can't believe oppa sent us to live here. We are not on exile, right?", she added as she sits on first step of the stairs, her face on her hands.

"He is the King now. Refrain yourself from speaking ill of him", Jessica said while patting her head. 

Krystal pouts.

"Still he is our brother. How could he-",.

"Soo Jungah", Jessica soflty said and cut her off.

"Something's we cannot control and just have to accept. If there are things we have control of, let's have to courage to change those", Jessica said and smiled at her younger sister.

"Arasseoyo, eonnie", Krystal nodded.

"Okay, let's see how we can clean this place", Jessica looks around.

"I'm just right here, Your Highness! I'm in", Irene chimed in.

"Alright. One for all", Jessica laid her hand in the air.

"All for one", Krystal and Irene replied while placing their hands on top of Jessica's.

"Ajah!", the three girls said in unison. 

 

Two years passed by so quickly.  Jessica and Krystal lived ordinary lives. Jessica has not been given education and the money that their brother provides for them is barely enough to buy decent foods. While King Heechul is sleeping on a bed of gold, his two sisters are working hard to survive their day to day living. Heechul is squandering off the money of the people and live luxuriously. He is always throwing parties at the expense of the country's finances, had bought overpriced properties for himself    while most of his people are not getting enough food on their tables. Due to these actions and behaviors of King Heechul, some nobles are planning to overthrow his rule and have the second-in-line to replace him.

King Heechul is full of himself that he doesn't listen to his people's cry and doesn't notice the nobles are backing out in supporting him. Whoever wears the crown, carries the burden with it. But the King wears it but he is not carrying the responsibility with it.

Jessica is singing a song to herself while carrying a bucketful of water from the well at the back of the house. She's wearing a plain blue dress and her hair is tied on the back and pulled to her right shoulder. She is dressed shabbily but she still looks beautiful in it. Her skin glows in health and her cheeks are blushed in pink. The weather and the food in Cheongdam fits her well. Their food are always fresh fruits and vegetables from their garden and from her neighbors who treats the princesses well. Jessica is now a grown up woman and in legal age.

"Just spread your wings

Reach for your dreams

There's no mountain that's hard to move.

Take a chance and try

You will never know

You're a hero, you can fly".

"Eonnie!", Krystal showed up. Still the cheerful and lively young princess, Krystal is reason why Jessica never fails to smile everyday.

"You have a visitor", she added while grinning widely.

"Good morning, Princess", Tyler showed up from behind Krystal and bowed at her. Jessica immediately placed the bucket down and fixed her hair. Her face shines with happiness.

Captain General Tyler is a frequent visitor and checks them twice or thrice a month. How Tyler was loyal to King John is also the loyalty he is giving to the two princesses. 

"An ajhumma(older woman) handed me these bottles of fresh cows milk for the princesses", Tyler showed up his hands carrying two bottle filled milk. Jessica smiles. She is grateful to Tyler who had been their support person while they were still starting in Cheongdam. He helped them fixed the palace and do the manual labor for them. He is a true friend that Jessica had relied on  to. Even if she was dethroned as a princess by her own brother, he kept his loyalty and had stayed by her side. Her admiration for him grows even more.

Tyler gives her update regarding politics and had told her about the unrest of the nobles and their plan to overthrow King Heechul.  

 "They are planning to get your support and lead the coup", Tyler said while observing Jessica's reaction. She sighs and took a sip from her cup of tea.

"I will not be supporting any coup against my brother", Jessica said and placed the cup on the table.

"As long as he is alive and is on his throne, I will not be joining politics", she added and looks at Tyler.

"It will only makes the people suffer more", Jessica added. 

"I understand", Tyler said and handed an envelop to her. 

"It's the millenial celebration of the foundation of the country. You as the princess should be there", Tyler said. Ally countries will also be there to celebrate peace and strengthen political ties with each other. 

Jessica reads the invitation. 

"I don't know", Jessica hesitates. It's been two years that she hasn't set foot in Seoul palace and two years that she hasn't seen his brother. 

Am I still the Princess that I was two years ago? I don't seem to fit the title anymore, she said to herself. 

"I will think about it", she said. If she will say 'no' right away, she knows he will relentlessly encourage her to go.

"Are all the Captain Generals and nobles going to be there?", Jessica asked him and folded the letter.

"I can't go. I still have to train the incoming Captain General Eunhyuk to take my place. He's a humurous guy but with strong sense of patriotism and passion in protecting our country", he responds. Tyler is resigning as Captain General and next year, he will be taking over his father as a noble in the council of nobles. 

"Princess", Tyler sounded serious. Jessica's heart stopped beating.

"I already have expressed my intentions to you", his eyes shows his sincerity. A month ago, when Tyler told her that he is giving up the military to be in the council of nobles, he asked her to marry him.

I will be here to protect you, Tyler said to himself.

Jessica takes a deep breath. Her mind and her heart is on opposing direction. Her heart tells her yes, but her mind is telling her no. The vow she made to place her people's interest before her own, and her promise to her father for the union of Seoul and Mokpo are two things that's keeping her from accepting his proposal. 

To experience love, to be loved, is but a fantasy for her when she was young. But even then, she knows what she will be choosing.

"T", Jessica called him in a name she fondly calls him even before.

"You know what will I say", Jessica said but her eyes tells him the opposite. She likes him and he knows it. He likes her and he had already told her.

"I know you will never choose me", Tyler replied. 

"If we are in a different time, will you think of choosing me?", he asked. He is hurt by her refusal but it was a risk he took and he can do nothing but accept it whole heartedly.

"Probably T", Jessica replied. Probably.

 

Jessica sighs as Tyler left riding on his horse.

What is there to life than to love and be loved in return?

But it's different for me. It's in the destiny of my blood. 

A love I can never have, like a wind I can feel but will just pass away.

Sayonara to a love I am not allowed to keep.

Is there more to life than love?

 

"Princess Jessica", Irene knocked on Jessica's room bringing a box.

"What is that?", Jessica asked. 

"Let's open it. It just arrived today", Irene replied. She placed the rectangular box on Jessica's bed and untied the ribbon.

They both gasp to see what's inside. It's a red dress and a pair of stiletto.

Irene hold the dress in front of her. It's made of fine treads and  there's an embroidery of Rose of Sharon, the symbol of Seoul. 

It's such a beautiful dress and red suits Jessica's skin color perfectly.

Jessica picks up the note.

Sicayah! Let's go to the Millenial celebration. Signed, Donghae oppa, Jessica reads the note. She can't believe she's reading that note from him.

"Sicayah?", she asked herself.

Donghae oppa?, she asked herself.

When did they become so informal with each other? When she was a kid, he had always been treating her like one. But now, she's not a kid anymore, and with the engagement that did not go through, wouldn't it be awkward to be calling her informally? 

It seemed that he did not change at all, Jessica said to herself.

"What am I going to do with these?", she is exasperated. She did not have any plans to attend the celebration. She has no reason to, and she doesn't have any plans to change her mind.

"It's such a beautiful dress and gorgeous shoes", Irene looks at the dress dreamily. 

 

The moon shones brightly above and a rainbow is circling around it.

Her laughter echoes together with his chuckles.

"And he does this", he makes a face imitating Hangeng's angry face.

"And when Kibum is sad, he makes this face", he makes a long, sad face with his lips in a downward 'U', the exact same expression Kibum does.

Jessica burst in fits of laughters. Her face is already red from laughing. Donghae is still the playful prince Jessica had known. 

"Kkeumanhae jebal (Please stop)", Jessica is down on her feet, as she continues to laugh. Donghae joins in laughing with her.

"I remember you having this face", and Jessica makes a panic expression.

"Back when the thugs are running after us", and Jessica still can't stop her laughs. Donghae stopped laughing.

"I wasn't", he complained.

"That's an ugly expression", and he shakes his head.

"You did", Jessica said in between laughters.

 

They sit together in front of the fountain. Jessica removes her shoes and place them next to her. Her feet is already painful from wearing them for hours.

Donghae stands in front of her and extends his right arm and hand. Jessica blinks her eyes and looks at him.

"May I ask the Princess for a dance?", Donghae asked. He smiles at her and her heart skipped a beat.

"I can't wear the shoes anymore, it's too painful", Jessica avoids dancing. Jessica is surprised when he bends down and lifts her up to her feet. Jessica wasn't able to say a thing.

"If it gets too painful for you to bear, you can step on my feet. I will lend you my strength", Donghae said. Jessica just stood silently. He smiles again and asked her to place her feet on his. 

"Aigoo", Donghae scratches his head when Jessica is just standing there. 

"Do I have to carry you again?", Donghae asked, threateningly. Jessica shakes her head and obliged to dance with him.

She steps her right foot on his left and then she steps the other foot over his right and places her arms on his shoulders.

Donghae places his arms on her waist. The night is silent. While music is playing loudly inside Seoul Palace, in the garden, the soft breeze of the wind can be heard while it gently sways the leaves of the trees and crickets and other sounds of insects filled the air. 

Donghae slowly turns around in a slow dance and humming a song to the tune of 'Love me the same'. Jessica relaxes herself and place her head on his shoulder.

Donghae whispers to her.

How can he read her so well?

Donghae continues to speak and he is right. Jessica has been carrying that burden in her heart. For two years, she hasn't been able to let it out. Tears started to fall from her eyes.

"It's not your fault", Donghae said and Jessica continues to sob in his chest. 

"Stop blaming yourself. It's not your fault, Sica", he said.