Snow Rain

Summer Solstice

Donghae has been saved from hypothermia. But he had fever all through out the night and it's not going down. Jessica had been forbidden by the royal doctors to enter his room. In case Donghae had gotten the disease from the mystery disease that took Queen Lena's life, everyone is prohibited from going near the prince aside from the medical staff. He also got wounded from the battle just a week before that and the wound has not healed yet. A possibly of infection is also being looked upon by the physicians.

"Doctor, please do everything to save my brother", Donghwa spoke with the physician. Jessica was so stunned with all that's happening.

Donghaeyah, her eyes swelled with tears.

"Princess", Jung Young called out to her. Jessica looks at her and hugs her tightly.

"What should I do?", Jessica asked her court lady.

Donghae, you promised that you would be safe, Jessica said in her thoughts.

 

"Princess Jessica, you have to be in command for now", Donghwa spoke with Jessica that morning.

The King had not been himself since the Queen's demise yesterday, and Prince Donghae is still fighting for his life.

Jessica stares at Donghwa.

"I cannot do that", she replied and shakes her head.

"If I could just do it", Donghwa said.

"But I cannot be in charge", he added.

"I am not the King and Queen's real son", Donghwa revealed to her. Jessica gasped.

"I am the Queen's nephew and when my parents passed away when I was just an infant, she took care of me and take me in as her own", he said. There were only a few who knows of the truth. But as he doesn't have the royal blood, he never once thought of having the throne for himself.

"You need to do this for Donghae", he added. 

"Do this for him", he taps her back.

 

Jessica stands outside Donghae's room.

Paboya!, tears start to fall from her eyes, and she immediately wipes them away.

You said you will always be here to protect me. You can never go back against your word, she said.

I shouldn't cry like this. I should believe you. I know you keep your word, she added. 

Just be well, oppa. I'll do everything to make you happy. Just be alive, she said and continued to stand outside the room.

Everything for your happiness. Lord God, please let him live.

 

"Your majesty", Jessica did a curtsy to King Lenard, but the King just stares ahead. He did not seem to hear her. Jessica came closer. The King had been that way since yesterday. He would just stare into nothingness with his lifeless eyes, it seemed life had escaped his body.

Jessica looks at her father-in-law with tenderness.

"Abeonim", she said and sits beside him.

"Please strengthen yourself. Donghaeyah needs you, Mokpo needs you, your people needs you", she said.

"Get a grip of yourself and don't fall into this state", Jessica's voice is shaking. 

"You have to be strong for everyone who depends on you", she added but the King remains unresponsive. He had fallen into depression after his wife passed away.

"I will lead Mokpo while I wait for Donghae. Please come back quickly, abeonim", Jessica took his hand and begs him.

I am just eighteen, and inexperienced to lead a country. I am a lady and in the council of men, will I be respected? I am a princess of Seoul but I am a stranger here in Mokpo.

"King Lenard, how can I lead your country, even for just a day?", she asked. 

 

Jessica enters the hall filled with Mokpo council. Behind her are Captain General Leeteuk, soldiers Hangeng and Kibum, and Prince Donghwa.

Everyone stands up and the council hush among themselves as she walks to the middle and seated herself. Her heart is pounding so loudly. She's scared and nervous.

"What is this?", one of the council man stood up. 

"Lord Henry", Jessica calls him out by name. She had met all the council men during her welcome party when she first came as the prince's wife and she had come to know them by names right then.

"Please be seated first", Jessica said calmy. She is even astounded with her steady voice even if her hands are shaking.

She reminded everyone about the Queen's death, and everyone got silenced. Her eyes are filled with tears but she holds them back. 

You should never show your weakness to your council. Gain their respect and approval and Donghae will not have a hard time with them after he wakes up, she told herself.

She told them about the King needing time to feel his loss and to mourn over it.

"What is Prince Donghae doing at this time?! Why would his wife be sent here with us instead of him?", another council stands up.

"How dare you speak to the Princess that way?", Donghwa steps in.

"Lord Zhoumi", Jessica looks at him. 

"You must have already been aware of the Prince's condition", the princess answered.

"What if he doesn't wake up? What will happen?", Lord Henry speaks up again.

"How disrespectful to be asking of the prince that way!", Jessica exclaimed. She cannot hold her temper when that question about Donghae was asked. Her eyes are filled with fury.

What? What if he doesn't wake up?!?!? Jessica repeated the question in her head.  

"Lord Henry! Don't ever ask that question again", Jessica's voice raise up.

"To all of you here! Prince Donghae only wants what's best for this country. He did everything and sacrificed a lot for the people. During this difficult time, please extend your support to him", Jessica said in a lower voice after she regain her composure.

"I, Princess Jessica, request this from all of you",she said and bowed.

There's nothing I can do anymore. I don't have the authority, but all I have is my sincerity to show.

"We should all be united especially this time in our history. I, Lord Shindong, gives my full pledge and support to the royal family", Lord Shindong spoke up and bowed at Princess Jessica.

Lord Henry and Lord Zhoumi followed as well as the rest of the council.

Jessica feels relieved.

But I won't let my guard down. In politics, you can never fully trust anyone, she reminded herself. Lord Chi was a good friend of her father but he became a traitor. Power can easily deceive and disillusion people. 

 

Jessica removes the pin from her hair as she stands beside Donghae's bed. She had asked the medical assistant persistently, finally she was let in secretly.

"Donghaeyah", Jessica sniffs. She is crying.

"I was so looking forward to Christmas because I will meet you again", she said as tears continues to flow down her beautiful face.

"Oppa. Wake up please", she walks closer to him and leans down to touch his face. His face becomes thinner and pale.

She takes his hand and encloses her hair pin.

"Oppa. Give this to me again after you wake up. Arasseo? I will be waiting", she said and wipes her tears. 

"Princess, you have to leave now. The Royal physician will be here soon", the medical assistant said.

Jessica touched Donghae's face again.

Pogo shipeoseo (I miss you), she thought to herself.

 

Jessica left the room but before she got farther away she heard the royal physician talking to another medical assistant.

"Lady Sunyessi, you have been working in the grounds with the soldiers and you're also coming here. Take a rest for yourself", the physician said.

"I am fine, Doctor. I would want to take care of His Highness", replied the beautiful woman called Lady Sunye.

Didn't Sunye got married?, Jessica asked herself. Donghae had told her that. He wouldn't lie to her, she told herself.

 

Donghae's condition has gotten better. He doesn't have any fever but he is still not awake yet. On the third day, it was diagnosed that his illness is not the same with the Queen, and therefore his family can come and see him. 

That is also the day the Queen had been laid to her final resting place. The King lead the burial ceremony. He had gotten better also and though he looks so forlorn, he is now in his right consciouness and have accepted the reality of his wife's death.

For the past days, Princess Jessica was in command of the whole council and of the military. Important matters that cannot put on hold and needs immediate attention has been placed on her.

The army on the border against North Korea was placed on standby and was ordered to be in defense. New supply of artillery is still on the way and some soldiers on other parts of the border are being moved up North in defense from North Korea.

 

"Oppa, it did not snow today. However, it did rain. You love the rain, right?", Jessica grasps Donghae's hand. 

We don't know if he will wake up. We cannot be sure if the infection reached his brain, the physician informed them.

"I know you will wake up. You are hearing me right now, oppa", Jessica said.

"I would give you your freedom, if that would make you happy", she touched his face.

"If being together with Sunyessi would make you look forward to life, I would allow it", she said. Jessica had learned from Hangeng that Sunye did not go through with her wedding and that she had been working as a medical assistant at the border to be near with Donghae.

Jessica should get angry. She trusted him, but he didn't tell her about working with Sunye.

"I just want you to wake up. Do you hear me? I wouldn't be a hindrance to your happiness".

"I will not hold you anymore in this marriage. Just please open your eyes", Jessica bring his hand to her face. She's crying again.

I will be going back to Seoul, Donghae oppa. My brother has suddenly gotten ill, and he calls for me, Jessica said to herself.

Donghae's finger suddenly moved. Jessica was surprised to feel his fingers wiping her tears.

"Doctor!", Jessica calls out.

 

Jessica is pacing outside of his room. The doctors are checking him and then Sunye came ascending the stairs.

"Your Highness", Sunye did a curtsy to Jessica. Jessica could see the concern and worry in her eyes. Whenever they see each other, Jessica feels apologetic. Because of her, Sunye and Donghae had to say good bye to each other.

"The Prince is waking up", Jessica expresses her happiness and informed her. 

"Go and see him inside", she urged her.

 

As long as you are already good and awake, I will be taking my leave. As what I said, I will leave you to your happiness, she reminded herself, but her heart is in pain. 

The King persuaded her to stay. He is so grateful to his daughter-in-law and much more impressed by her. 

"The Queen is so delighted in you, Princess. She should be resting in peace knowing that you are by our son's side", King Leonard told her.

"However I understand that King Heechul had called for you, if you could only stay a little longer so the Prince can see you", he added.

If I stay, I will not be able to let him go, she told herself. She has already made the decision and she will go back to Seoul.

Queen Lena, mianheyo. For your son's happiness, that's why I am leaving his side, she remembered what she had promised to the Queen but she cannot keep that promise.

"Kamsahamnida abeonim. For treating me like your own daughter all this time", Jessica replied.

"I will have Prince Donghae fetch you from Seoul back to Mokpo", the King smiled. He doesn't know that Jessica has no plans on coming back.

Jessica didn't respond and just hugs the King.

 

Donghae is recovering and safe already. Jessica immediately left for Seoul. It said in the letter that King Heechul is not speaking to anyone and is having prosecutory delusion and keeps on asking for the princess.

 

Jessica took out the hand knife that Donghae had given her.

Donghae oppa, you don't have to keep your promise of protecting me. From here on, I will protect myself. Just think of your happiness and of your country, she said to herself while fiddling the Magnolia emblem on the knife handle. 

She then took off her ring from her finger. 

You are free, oppa, she said as she looks out the window of the carriage. The snow is falling again. She clutched the winter coat close to her body. 

Somehow it feels so much colder than before.