White Rainbow

Summer Solstice

Mokpo castle is a huge castle surrounded by a moat to prevent attacks and there's only the lowered gate that leads entrance to it, constantly monitored by palace guards.

King Lenard Lee and his wife Queen Lena bore two sons, Prince Donghwa who is already married and is living in a separate palace and the youngest, Prince Donghae. Donghwa is a Captain General but he will never be a successor to the throne because he went against marriage tradition and married a commoner. He insisted that it's because of love and he never regret his decision. Prince Donghae will one day suceed his father and to maintain peace, power and teritory, he should marry another royal, and that is Princess Jessica, the daughter of the good King John. 

For today, the two kings decided to enjoy the outdoors and have a royal picnic. The kingdom is in peace and the people have not staged any revolt with King Lenard's ruling. They can enjoy the fresh air outdoors and the sun basking them. It's safe to assume their security even in the open field. A royal banquet is shared and there were great performances of singing and dancing.

However, there are robbers and lawbreakers that are being hunted down and are still in hiding. What is unknown is that these wanted men are hiding deep in the forest.

While the festivity is going on, Jessica and Minho have been finding their way out the forest while Donghae is tracking them. He had seen Jessica running towards the forest and calling out Minho's name and Hae rushed to the forest to follow. He doesn't have time to go back and inform anyone. 

With the tall grasses, he made a signal that points to the forest. He quickly get some rocks and formed it together so it would mean danger and pointing again to the forest. His eldest brother had told him that and Donghae would look uninterested but in fact, he keeps things to his mind. He is playful but he pays attention. 

This should let anyone know that we're in the forest, Donghae said to himself.

He entered the forest and looks around. The forest has an enchanting feel to it. It's been said that some of the trees in that forest are hundred years old already and the King and his older brother had already warned him never to go into it. They had warned him, but that did not stop him. He had entered the forest quite few times already. He had even named some parts of the forest that he discovered. The Gleam is the entrance of the forest. Continue walking until there's no more light visible from the entrance is The Dim. To his right is The Squish, where there is a small swamp. To his left is The Eye, where a ray of light passes through the trees and the ground, colorful flowers are blooming. Beyond the Dim, he hasn't ventured to it yet.

He made some Cuckoo sound. 

Minho, can you hear me?, he asked in his mind. Then he heard a reply. 

Cuckoo. Cuckoo. Cuckoo. 

Great! That's Minho, Donghae felt relieve. He had taught Minho just a few days ago, and he's quite proud that his younger cousin is learning well from him.

"Leader!", a man's voice sounded from behind him and Donghae immediately ducked down and hide himself.

"What's our plan?", the same man asked.

"Let's go back to our hide out and we'll discuss", replied a deep voice that seemed to come from a big man. Donghae wasn't able to see the faces because of the darkness, but he was able to see their silhouettes.

Thirteen men, five are huge men and eight are middle built, Donghae counted them.

They have swords!, Donghae noticed.

We have to get out of here immediately!, he thought to himself. 

For quite a few minutes Donghae and Minho were exchanging signal sounds until they finally found each other. 

"Hyung!", Minho hug Donghae. He feels better that his older cousin is now around.

"Gwaenchanha?", Donghae asked, patting Minho's back but he's looking at Jessica. There's no indication that she's happy to see him around. 

"I'm fine. Princess Jessica takes care of me", Minho replied and smiled at Jessica who then, smiled back at him. 

"So, where's our way out?", Jessica asked, looking unimpressed that Donghae found them.

A cold Ice Princess, Donghae thought to himself.

"I'm not quite sure of", Donghae replied. Jessica's eyes widen with shock.

"You don't know the way out?", Jessica asked. Donghae scratched his head. Jessica's face showed reaction this time. Her face sunk.

Now, we're three lost children inside the forest with scary men around, Jessica sighs.

Donghae marked his way in after passing the Dim, to make sure he can still trace his way back. He was just teasing the young princess.

"I think I went from here, then went there. Then turned right", Donghae motions with his hand and Jessica just shakes her head.

Pabo (Stupid), Jessica thought to herself.

They started walking back. Donghae leading the way, and Jessica is unsure that they will get out with him in the front.

Shhhhh, Donghae reminded them to be quiet.

"Hyung! Did you see these shoe prints?", one man asked from a distance.

"There were two kids here! I was right!", They heard the man's voice. 

They know were here!, Donghae realized. They had to change direction or they will be found out.

"Let's look for them!", said another man's voice.

The kids crept on the ground. Jessica leading the way. Donghae told her to just go wherever direction, and he will be at the back to cover their track.

As time goes by, they are going deeper and deeper into the forest. What's important is to be away from these bandits as far as possible. 

How long have we been creeping?, Jessica asked herself. Her hands and her dress are already in dirt, and she can't care less. But she's feeling tired already, and she noticed Minho is, too.

"Let's stop for now", Donghae softly said, as he noticed the two are slowing down. 

We need to plan out, Hae said to himself.

The three are seated together. Donghae looks around.

Now, we are really lost. But we'll be found soon, Donghae trusted that soon enough, their disappearance would be noticed  and everyone will be looking for them anytime from now.

"Now what do we do?", Jessica asked. Jessica noticed the worried expression on Minho, so she tried to change her voice.

"I think they are already looking for us", Jessica said trying to sound confident for Minho. 

"Chinja?", Minho asked. Jessica nods. He felt relieve. Donghae taps Minho's head.

"Let's build a temporary shelter", Donghae suggested. They gather dry leaves and placed those in the ground to keep them dry. Minho pulled out a pocket knife from his shoe and cut some bushes to provide a cover from above their heads.

Everyone looked satisfied with their shelter and Jessica smiled to Donghae for the first time since he saw her in the forest.

"High five!", Jessica spread out her hands for Minho and Donghae.

"Are princesses supposed to do that?", Donghae asked. 

"We're in the forest right now", Jessica replied and chuckled. Donghae smiled and both he and Minho did a high five.

After Minho and Jessica settled themselves, Donghae stood up.

"I'm going to climb up to see the direction to the castle", Donghae said.

It's been hours, they should already be searching for us, Donghae thought to himself. 

But atleast we should know a bit of where we are right now in terms of the castle direction, he said to mind.

"But, can you climb trees? The trees here are so tall", Jessica said.

"I'll try", Donghae replied. 

"Here, take this", Donghae handed the small knife. It's enclosed in a gold case and the handle has inticate carvings on it with the Mokpo seal. 

"I'll look for an easier tree to climb and I'll come back", Donghae said. Jessica looks at the knife and then at Donghae. 

"Promise?", Jessica is now showing what she truly feels. She is scared but was not showing it for Minho's sake. But at this moment, she's still just a kid.

"Promise", Donghae said and held out his pinky finger. Jessica feels relieve and linked her pinky finger. She accepted the knife and keeps it. 

Donghae left them while Minho had already fallen asleep.

I think this will do, Donghae said to himself looking at a big tree with lots of branches. He climb his way up and though he had difficulties, he hold on, going up branch by branch, and he almost slip but he managed to continue. On top, he is able to see the view of the forest and on the South, he sees the tiny figure of the Mokpo Castle with flag waving in the air. 

He's finding it hard to believe that they are too far away from the castle already, but he's excited that they now have a direction to take.

Alright!, Donghae exclaimed and climb his way down.

He is already halfway down when he heard Jessica screamed. Her dolphin scream is a distinct sound that probably only she can produce. 

Jessica!, Donghae quickly made his way down and in doing so, lost his footing and slipped of the branch. He fell down with his arm to the ground.

He winced in pain and struggled to stand up. His left arm is in so much pain, and he kept his arm steady with his right hand.

Jessica screamed again and Donghae ran as fast as he could back to where Jessica and Minho is.

"Don't touch me", Jessica snarled. Some robbers found them and Jessica was so surprised she screamed in shock. The two men  are frightening. They have long unkempt hair and rudy face and one had a scar on his face. She screamed again when the scar-faced man tried to pull her from the shelter.

"I can stand up on my own", Jessica added and she stood up. Donghae is looking from a few feet away. 

Unmindful of his injury, he can only stay from hiding and watch.

Aiishh!, he is pissed that he cannot do anything.

Jessica holds Minho close to her. 

"Are you lost, kids?", a third man came. He looks the same with the other two. 

"Royals", he said as he noticed the fine clothing and gold trademark on the kids' fabrics.

Jessica stared at him with her cold looks. She looks unaffected but she's already shaking inside.

I can't let them show that I am scared, she gathered up her courage.

"Let's bring them to our boss. I can smell money!", he smiled widely. One guy tries to hold Minho but Jessica pulled Minho closer.

"We can walk", Jessica said and walked on while keeping Minho close to her. She glance at the younger one beside him and sees how scared he is.

Oh, God. Keep us safe, Jessica says softly.

Appa, find us soon, she added as she thinks of her father.

Donghaeyah, keep your promise, she thought to herself. The knife is safely hidden inside her dress inner pocket.