Serein

Summer Solstice

It was a mess early in the morning. 

Jessica found herself almost and only in her undergarments as she wrapped the blankets to herself and stand on the far side of the room, while Donghae is still on the floor, only with his boxers on. He hide himself by the bed and only his face shows.

"What did you do?", they point at each other. 

 

Jessica locked herself in the bathroom and thinks of what happened from the moment she arrived at Mokpo Castle.

Queen Lena holds Jessica's arms and as they entered the grand hall. The royal family, King Lenard and Prince Donghae, Queen Lena and Princess Jessica, Prince Donghwa and Princess Alice, stood from the balcony and all the Mokpo constituents are down at the hall, clapping their hands in welcome of the Princess from Seoul, the wife of their Crowned Prince. 

They descended by pairs through the stairs.

Jessica and Donghae meet each other's eyes, then immediately looked away.  

He offered his arm to her without looking and Jessica accepted halfheartedly. Jessica is waiting for Donghae's apology and he is just not talking to her yet.

Always the beautiful couple, their love story as people know it, is so romantic. A princess defying the King, and a prince who travelled and disguised himself, to be with each other.

Despite the silent war the newly wed is having, Jessica felt so welcomed by everyone who congratulated her and that brought smile to her lips. The people love her before they even get to see her, thanks to the elopement story and the secret wedding story. Everyone loves a love story against odds. 

 

However, after they reached the floor, Donghae separates himself from Jessica.  

"Chankaman (For a while)", the first word he had said to her during their silent bickering. Then he removed her hand on his arm. 

"Odiseo?", Jessica asked, while keeping her hand on his arm. She's not letting him go.

"It's something important", Donghae said and completely removes her hand on him. Without looking back at her, he left through the crowd. 

"Princess Jessica", Princess Alice came to Jessica for company. She's carrying with her, her toddler, the young prince Tom. 

Jessica smiles seeing her. Alice is warm and friendly and Jessica likes her immediately.

No wonder, Prince Donghwa gave up his crown for his love for her, Jessica realized, and felt a longing in her heart.

When she was younger, she had dreams and thoughts of love, but she gave it up. 

The little toddler reach out his arms to Jessica, making Jessica laugh.

"Noemu kyeopta ( Very cute)", she said focusing her attention him. 

"He likes you", Alice smiled and handed the kid to Jessica. 

Jessica carried Tom in her arms and he keeps on blabbering and chuckling. Jessica and Alice lets out a laugh and continued to converse then Donghwa came to join them. 

Throughout the party, Donghae never came back to Jessica and she spotted him with his circle of friends.

Lady Dara, Jessica recognized one of the women in that group.

So that's what's something important, Jessica looked away and just danced to the music while carrying baby Tom. Prince Donghwa is with Princess Alice, and the King with his wife, and Jessica is with the cute little boy while Donghae is on the sides with his companions.

Donghae is looking at the center of the hall and spotted Jessica with baby Tom. She looks happy and smiling brightly. He smiled at himself and started to walk towards her.

"Prince Donghae", a woman called him. That sweet and familiar voice that he had always known. He turned and saw who he had been looking for.

"Sunye-ssi", Donghae is glad to see her.

"Can we talk?", she asked. Donghae nods and they left the grand hall.

 

"I am getting married", Sunye said. Donghae froze in his spot.

"Chukhahae", Hae said after a few seconds.

"And I want to congratulate you on your marriage, too", she added.

"Mianhe", he replied. 

"I always know this is how it would be for us", she said with tears b in her eyes.

"But still I had hoped", she tried to control her tears. Donghae lifts his hand near to her face to touch her, but he then brings it back down.

Donghae thought of the things he had wanted to say, but he can't find the words to say them. There's no point in saying those things anymore.

"I wish you happiness, Sunye", Donghae said and left. He turned his back before she can see the tears fall from his eyes.

Theirs was a friendship of more than friends, and a couple less than lovers. And now they can't be both.

He went out and did not come back to the party. He only came back to his room after the party ended.

 He is surprised to see Jessica still awake

"Are you drinking?", Donghae asked.

"It's just wine", she replied and showed the bottle to him.

Donghae sits opposite her and poured himself a wine. The smell of the wine looks so enticing to him at the moment. He also had some things in mind that he wants to say to her.

He apologized to Jessica for the things he had said that morning. He did not mean to hurt her. He also apologize for having apologized later when he could have done it earlier.

"What else?", Jessica asked again.

"What else?!", Donghae asked her in confusion.

"I", Jessica breathes out.

"I am your wife", she said straight forwardly.

Donghae is surprised to hear that from her.

"But you left me earlier. Shouldn't you have stayed by my side?", she asked.

Donghae sensed the hurt in her voice.

"Mianhada (I am sorry)", he replied. He had been insensitive and thoughtless.

"Do you love her?", Jessica asked him. She looks at him in his eyes.

He doesn't know how to respond. He can't lie but he also couldn't bring himself to say the truth.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked that. Forget it", she took a sip of wine. They are married and friendly with each other. But should she be asking these things to him, she had second thoughts.

They are starting their life together as a couple. He shouldn't do anything that would jeopardize their relationship whatever they have right now, Donghae thought to himself.

She stood up and walked passed him.

"Promise", Donghae caught her hand and Jessica stops on her track.

"I promise. It will not happen again", he said.

"I will stay by your side and will never leave again", Hae said. His eyes tells his sincerity.

"Yaksuk (Promise)", Donghae held up his pinky finger. Jessica believes his every word.

"Yaksuk", Jessica linked her pinky finger to his.

They both have the same belief that marriage is sacred and they shouldn't let any other meddle in between. That's what they both said to each other before their wedding. That even if it's a marriage of convenience, they will be loyal to each other and will keep the respect they have between them. They will do their best to make things work out.

"I give my word", Donghae said.

 

Jessica wash her face with water. She is still inside the bathroom and the next thing she remembered was they are finishing the bottle of wine, then come another bottle, and the next and she can't remember how many more they have drank.

Bits of memories came to her. She remembered Donghae cried in her arms.

"It's so difficult. It's so painful, Sunye", he buried his face in her shoulder.

Jessica pats his back. 

This is the first time she had seen him cry. He had seen her cry before and he had always comforted her.

I'll lend you my shoulders now. Just cry until tears refuse to fall, she said to herself.

 

That was the last thing she remembered. And she woke up in his arms like that.

She shakes her head and splash some more water to her face.

What did I do?, she asked herself.

 

Donghae dressed up. He keeps remembering what happened that morning. After all, he is still a man and his wife is a very attractive and beautiful woman.

Aniya, he shakes his head to erase his thoughts. 

Respect, he said to himself.

Kkeunde (But), why does he have a wound in his inner lower lip?

What did I do?, he asked himself.

 

They are sitting in front of each other in the banquet table. 

Jessica chewing her food and Donghae stared at her lips. Jessica stops eating and when he lifts up his eyes, she caught him staring at her. His face blushes and he looks away.

Donghae cleared his throat.

"Do you remember what happened?", he asked. Jessica shakes her head.

"Some", she answered briefly but she can't look at him. She felt shy how she looked this morning. 

Did she remember perhaps?, he asked. How he got his lip wounded. 

Did we kiss?, he asked himself.

"We don't remember everything because we are intoxicated", Donghae said.

"Let's just not-", Jessica cut herself off.  

Tom came running from the door followed by her mother. He is laughing and blabbering and went straight right to Jessica.

"He wants to see her aunt Princess Jessica", Princess Alice said and smiled. Her son becomes so fond of Jessica.

"Plincess Sica", Tom repeated what his mom said and Jessica picked him up. Their conversation about their incident is halted as they have some company.

Jessica is attentive to Tom and he is enthralled with her. When Jessica talks, he would listen and would 'talk' nonstop and smiles. 

You will be a great mother, Donghae smiled to himself. 

 

Jessica was looking for Donghae and she found him at the training ground. He is practicing archery. He looks so focused and she just stares at him. They still haven't finished their conversation yet.

Donghae release the arrow and it went right at the center of the target.

Jessica claps her hand and that's when Donghae realized her presence.

 

"I mean my promise last night", Donghae said. They have seated themselves and had continued their conversation.

Jessica nods. She did not have doubts on it. He keeps his promises. 

"I believe that", she smiled. 

It's already been five days that they are married. One of the things Jessica is grateful is how gentleman Donghae had been. She is already his wife but he never makes her feel pressured to do this or that as his wife. 

"How are you feeling now?", Jessica asked. She hinted about when he was crying.

Donghae hasn't thought of that. 

"Ahh. Well-", he searched himself. He feels alright with it, surprisingly. His heart was in pain yesterday, but his mind had been preoccupied since he woke up. 

"Past is in the past. Hearts do heal. Same as yours", he answered. It's not only him who had parted with someone they cherished. Jessica also had to do it.

"Let's start again", Donghae said.

Without waiting, Donghae introduced himself.

"Lee Donghae imnida. Pangapsseumnida (I am Lee Donghae. It's nice to meet you)", he bowed. Jessica looks at him.

Let's start anew, she said in her mind.

"Jung Soo Yeon imnida. Pangapsseumnida(I am Jung Soo Yeon. It's nice to meet you), she answered and did a curtsy. 

The sun just sets in the horizon. It's a clear sky, however fine drizzles are falling. Serein. How can rain fall when there are no clouds? How can their marriage work without love? Or it could be that those fine drizzles fall from distant clouds, could their marriage work when love between them is still in the distant sky? 

"Rain", Donghae immediately noticed it. 

Jessica looks outside. 

Is it a good omen?