Winter Solstice

Summer Solstice

"Oppa!", Jessica called Donghae for attention. He seemed to have fazed out. Jessica touched his arm to wake him up from his trance.

"Oppa!", Jessica called him again.

Donghae looked surprise. Jessica is looking at him. He blinks his eyes.

He was imagining things.

"Kamsahamnida", Jessica said and touched the pin in her hair.

"Kkeunde (But), why is your face red?", Jessica suddenly worries for him.

He immediately turns around and took a deep breath.

What was I thinking?, Donghae said to himself.

He shakes his head to fully wake himself up and tap his cheeks with his hands.

"Are you alright, Donghae oppa?", Jessica asked. 

"Yeah, yeah", he replied.

"I'm thirsty. I'll just go down to the banquet hall", and he quickly goes out of the room.

"Donghaeyah! Clear your mind!", He scolded himself as he walks away from the room.

"What's wrong with you?", he asked himself.

Have you gone crazy? She's really beautiful and attractive and she's your wife. She deserves your respect including in your thoughts, he reminded himself.

 

"What's wrong with him?", Jessica asked herself.

"There's water there in the container", she said.

She goes to the mirror to check the pin in her hair.

"Donghae oppa gave this to me when we were kids", Jessica chuckles.

I don't remember but I'm glad, she smiled brightly.

 

Oppa! Oppa! The little 3-year old Jessica calls out to a little boy. She stumbled and hurt her knee.

Little Donghae ran to her and checks her knee. 

You shouldn't have run after me, Donghae said to little Jessica. 

After wiping her wound with the hem of his clothes, he gave Jessica a piggyback.

Oppa, I'll marry you when I grow up, the little girl said. Little Donghae laughed.

Kurei (That's right)! I'll marry you too, when I grow up, he replied.

Even if memory fades, fate cannot forget.

 

Jessica cannot sleep.

"Still awake?", Donghae asked her.

Jessica props her elbow to face him. How she had already used to their married life. Sharing the same bed, closing her eyes to sleep and Donghae's the last person she sees; waking up and  Donghae's the first person to greet her as she opens her eyes.

"Why would you stay here?", Donghae asked.

Just come back with me to Mokpo, he is close to saying it, but decided not to.

"I have to have Soo Jung back", Jessica laid back to the bed looking at the ceiling.

"I'll do anything to have her back", Jessica added.

"I already received Prince Minho's reply", Donghae said.

Jessica faced him again. 

"You can visit Soo Jung this weekend", Hae said. Jessica's face lit up and hugs Donghae.

"Oppa!", Jessica is close to tears. 

Donghae did not expect Jessica to embrace him. He was surprised but after a minute, he taps her back.

"You will be reunited soon with your sister", Donghae said.

"I can't wait to see Soo Jung. Just the thought of it makes me really happy", Jessica said and hugs him tighter. 

I'm happy that you're happy, Donghae smiled. 

However, her happiness didn't stay long. Jessica's smile faded. Donghae will leave tomorrow.

She buried her face on his chest. 

Just one more minute, let me stay like this, Jessica to herself. 

One more minute, she added. 

Donghae placed an arm around her. 

Jessica could hear the beat of his heart, calm, steady and serene.

Donghae oppa, I have really come to like you. Will it be alright if I like you this way?, she asked herself.

It did not take long before she dozed off to sleep.

Donghae's smile is still pasted on his face. Then he remembers he will be leaving. 

I don't want to leave you here, he said to himself.

He kissed her hair.

"Jessica, can you not stay here and just come back to Mokpo with me?", he asked.

 

Ahhh! So comfortable, she said to herself.

She had fallen asleep last night. 
Then she smells a masculine scent.

Donghae oppa, she smiled at the realization. She is already so accustomed to him, she is certain she can easily identify him with just his perfume.

She could hear his heartbeat and his arms is wrapped around her. Jessica stares at his face. 

He looks like an angel, she thought to herself and fights the urge to touch his face. She took the time to memorize his face, his noseline, his lips, his jaw .

"Are you awake now?", Donghae opened his eyes. He caught her staring at him.
 

Jessica quickly rose up from the bed, and her cheeks are blushing.

"Neh", she suddenly feels shy and quickly goes inside the bathroom.

She smiles widely after she closed the door. Her heart is beating fast but she likes it.

She remembers waking up in his arms. 

If only I could stay that way, she said to herself regrettably. 

 

She peaks through the door.

"Oppa", she called out.

"Let's go out of the palace", she said. Donghae still has half of the day before he leaves.

They went to the town in disguise. They checked different stores and tried different foods. 

"Do you remember riding the boat?", Jessica asked.

"Yes I do. Do you want to ride in that again, without thugs running after us?", Donghae said. Jessica nods.

He got a boat and takes Jessica's hand to help her in. They look at each other and smile.

"If I could only stay here with you", Donghae said while paddling.

"I understand oppa. You have to be in Mokpo especially that there's tension at the border between North Korea", she replied.

"Be safe", Jessica shows her concern.

"I forbid you to be hurt. You should never be. I will not allow it", she ordered. 

Donghae smiles.

"Yes, Boss", Donghae said and bows.

"Boss? Are we thugs?", she asked and laughs.

"That's a secret. No one should know we are", he said jokingly. She smirks.

"Don't divert the talk. Promise me", Jessica showed her pinky.

"Ara (I understand), Boss! I will be well and safe", Donghae said.

How I am easily manipulated by this princess, he thought to himself and smiled. He moved closer to link his pinky finger. 

The boat rocked and they almost capsized.  Jessica screamed while Donghae almost fall over on Jessica but was able to grab the sides of the boat to keep it steady. 

The boat stopped rocking sideways and when Jessica opens her eyes, Donghae's face is so close to her. She gulps.

It's now or later, Jessica thought to herself. 

You have to be bold sometimes and takes the first step, Song Hye Kyo ajhumma's words echoed in her head.

Donghae was relieved the boat keeps afloat. He checks his grip on the sides of the boat and when he looks straight on, Jessica kissed him on the lips.

His eyes widened in shock. 

I think I like you too much already, Jessica said in her mind. Her heart is racing very fast. Unlike their kiss at their wedding, this one she initiated.

Donghae did not respond. 

Is this still my imagination? Between reality and fiction, it will just take a few seconds for the reality to rush in, he said. 

But after a few seconds, her soft lips still on him. Still he did not respond.

Jessica feels disheartened and starts to pull back.

This is driving me insane. Have I started to like you, Princess Jessica?, Donghae asked himself. 

After Jessica moved away, Donghae leans closer to kiss her.

Her heart pounding so loudly in her chest. Donghae kiss her softly on her lips. She smiles and responded. 

The water at the Han river continues to flows. The birds roamed the skies. A group of white water lilies floats and encircles the boat due to the current and gentle breeze. 

 

"Prince Donghae already left, Princess?", Queen Anna asked Jessica while they met at the staircase.

"Yes, Your Highness", Jessica replied.

"How dare he impose on the King for you to be treated still as a princess? If not for his threat, King Heechul would have sent you out", Queen Anna said.

"What do you mean Your Higness?", Jessica asked.

"You got yourself a Prince in Shining Armor", the Queen walked on and left Jessica. 

"Do you know what Prince Donghae did?", Jessica asked Jung Young. Jung Young was personally chosen by Donghae to stay with Jessica at Seoul. Her previous court lady, Irene was sent by King Heechul to Incheon together with Krystal.

"The Prince just reminded the King that you are also the Princess of Mokpo now. As a guest here, King Heechul is entitled to keep you safe from harm. The Prince just wants your safety, Princess", Jung Young replied. 

So that's what Donghae talked with my brother, Jessica said to herself. Her heart swelled with happiness.

I wish there's something I can do for you, she said to herself.

Just keep yourself safe, she heard Donghae's voice but when she turns around, it was just her imagination.

Arasseo, oppa, she said in her mind.

 

It's already been six months that Jessica stays in Seoul Palace. She had also visited Krystal every month, but still she was not able to bring her back with her.

The snow had just stopped falling, as she continues to write an encrypted letter to Donghae. She had informed him of the increasing tension in politics. The King is continuously abusing his power and the nobles are in the final stage of realizing their revolt. 

P.S. I am sending a winter coat with this letter. Keep warm oppa.

True to my promise,

Soo Yeon.

 

Jessica folded the letter and seals the envelope. Then takes a look at the painting on the wall, little Haesica.

It will be Christmas soon and I'm going to Mokpo, she smiled to herself.

After handling the letter to Palace Captain Siwon, Jessica and Jung Young gets ready to travel again to Incheon to visit Krystal.

"Princess Jessica", Tyler just arrived at the Palace and greeted Jessica at the entrance.

"Captain Tyler", Jessica nods. They talked some pleasantries and Jessica has to leave.

Tyler extends his hand to assist her up on the carriage.

"Kamsahamnida T", Jessica said but refused to take his hand.

Tyler nods and smiled sadly.

Jessica waved at Tyler as the carriage moves.

Be happy, Princess, Tyler said silently.

 

Jessica had been gone for a few days to celebrate Christmas season with her sister. She came back to Seoul and immediately checks the letter Donghae sent to her.

"Jung Young unnie!", Jessica calls her court lady.

"Let's pack up for Mokpo right now. Quick!", Jessica said with an urgency in her voice.

"Is something the matter, Princess?", Jung Young replied.

"Eomeoni is sick", Jessica replied. Jung Young's face turned to panic and rushed to pack Jessica's things.

The Princess goes to the King to informed him of her sudden departure. King Heechul couldn't be any happier to not see her any longer.

Days of travelling to Mokpo seemed like to take forever. When it snows, it's even difficult to continue.

Finally, they arrived in Mokpo Castle. The snow is falling heavily, and they are greeted with a bad news.

Tears fall on Jessica's face. Jung Young cannot hold her cries.

Queen Lena already passed away. 

King Lenard is very distraught. He had aged by a decade. Jessica hugs her father-in-law.

"Abeonim", Jessica calls out. The King hugs her back.

"My wife", he said weakly.

"She already left us", he said, and his body collapse.

"Abeonim!", Jessica shouted and Donghwa and Alice came to attend to the King.

He wasn't sleeping for many days already as he watches over the Queen. However, no medicine or doctors was able to cure her.

Her illness had taken away her strength until that morning, when she had no more strength left to live.

 

The King was placed to a different room for him to rest. 

Jessica came back with Alice to see Queen Lena.

"Eomeoni", Jessica goes to her and touch her hand. It's already cold. She can't help but remember her own mother. 

She cries silently and utter a prayer.

"Rest in peace, eomeoni", she said.

 

"Prince Donghae, odiseo?", Jessica asked while wiping her tears.

"He left a couple of hours ago", Alice replied. 

"Excuse me, Alice. I will look for him", Jessica hugs her and left.

 

Donghae oppa, Jessica sees him there. It's freezing cold but he is out in the forest. 

She runs to him and places a coat over him. She embraced him in her arms.

"Oppa". 

She touches his cheeks and his skin is so cold.

"Oppa!", Jessica calls him.

Donghae is unresponsive.

"Donghaeyah!", Jessica looks so scared. Donghae's lips are purplish and he's shaking and not saying anything.

"Donghae!", Jessica shouts at him. 

"Look at me", Jessica rubs her hand on his cheeks. 

"Sica", he finally says a word and recognized her. He is so weak from the cold.

"Stay with me, okay", Jessica said and Donghae nods.

Hangeng and Kibum arrived. 

Donghae keeps on shaking and his eyes are closed.

"Palli!", Jessica cried out. 

Donghaeyah! Don't do this, Jessica is so worried for him. She did not even realized she is also wet in cold from the snow.

They rushed him back to the Palace where the Palace doctor checks him right away.

Hypothermia is a serious condition. The lack of blood supply to the tissues especially in the heart and brain is fatal. 

Donghaeyah, Paboyah!, Jessica holds his hand while tears stream her eyes.

You promise, you should keep your word,  Jessica said.