Lightning Flash

Summer Solstice

Jessica is facing the pinkish, indigo sky from the wide open windows of her room. The sun just dipped in the horizon but it's already past ten in the evening.

She is looking into nothingness as her mind is filled with other things. In the usual days, she would be in amazement to see the beautiful sky and would thank the Creator for such beautiful things. But not today, when the impending doom of her arranged marriage is set a few days from now. Her mind is too preoccupied.


She clutch the piece of paper close to her heart. She had already written her reply to the said letter and her faithful servant is sending it back to the sender.

Please, have the letter safely in your hands. The wedding cannot and should not go through, her mind is filled with anxiety.

Jessica continues to hold the paper in her hand.

Marry me. Let's meet at Gangnam. I'll be there, the deciphered message says in the letter.

"Eonnie", Krystal came in to the room. Jessica turns around and Krystal hugs her sister.

"You have to escape. You don't have to marry who brother wants for you", the thirteen-year old Krystal said talking about the arranged marriage.

"Soo Jungah", Jessica hugs her sister tight.

"Komawo", Jessica said.

"Captain General Tyler is my hope", Jessica said. It's the only way to avoid the marriage his brother arranged for her.

"Bless you eonnie", Krystal said and kissed her sister's cheeks. There's only her and her sister now. Their parents are already dead and their brother, King Heechul, had not been treating them well.

 

For a week, Princess Jessica had persistently urged the King to change his decision for her wedding. 

"I do apologize Your Majesty", Jessica approached King Heechul again.

"But I do humbly ask to nullify my upcoming wedding to lord Jaejoong", Jessica said.

"I do believe lord Jaejong would be the best", he replied.

"Unless you doubt my decision", he added.

"Your Majesty, I would like to decide for my wedding. I am choosing Prince Donghae of Mokpo", Jessica said. 

"Princess Jessica, have you grown fond of the prince?", he asked.

"But I cannot heed you request. The decision has been made", King Heechul said and dismissed the princess. 

Jessica watched as her brother left. 

Her heart feels broken. The brother who used to protect her has long been gone. When they were younger, he would be there to always hold her hand when she's scared. He had always wiped her tears when she cries. She would call out his name and he would ran to her right away. He would always joke around to make her laugh. 

Things have changed like nothing will stay the same. 

Oppa, why things have to go this way?, Jessica asked as a tear fell on her face.

Father had always favored you over me. That even if you're a female and the second child, he preferred you to have rule the country over me, his eldest, he said to himself while walking away.

Mianhaeyo appa, but you cannot protect your princess any longer, he said.

Heechul had been swallowed over with jealousy. His kins wanted him to believe that his father gave special attention to his second family more than him. They had him distrust anyone else aside from them and had made the Princesses to look as rival to the throne.

 

Princess Jessica had not eaten a thing the whole day. She fasted while praying for their plan to succeed. 

"Princess Jessica", Irene kneeled down beside her. The princess had been kneeling for hours already. 

Jessica lifts up her head upon hearing her.

"Irene eonnie", Jessica wraps her arms around her friend.

"I will do what I can to help you", Irene said and hugs her back. They have grown together and even if she's lower in status and a courtlady, the princess had been treating her as a friend.

"Kamsahamnida eonnie for all that you did for me and my sister", Jessica said.

"I will be leaving tomorrow. Please look over my sister for me. I will be back", Jessica confided to her.

"I will Jessica", Irene dropped the formalities and assured her. 

 

Just two more days before her wedding,  Jessica informed the King that she will go to Gangnam to visit her parents' graves. King Heechul agreed and send palace guards with her. 

"Appa, I will now be fulfilling my last promise to you. Seoul and Mokpo treaty", Jessica said in front of her parents' graves. 

She bowed down and came back inside the carriage. The door closed and not long after there was a commotion outside.

The door opened and a man wearing black with a mask bowed down.

"Let's go, Your Highness", he said. Jessica recognized the voice. She went out of the carriage and sees the unconscious bodies of the palace guards.

"They will wake up later. Let's get you out of here", he added and lead the way. There were three other black masked men who cleaned their trace and tied up the unconscious palace guards.

 

They arrived at a safe location as they wait for Prince Donghae. 

"They will arrive, right?", Jessica asked.

"He will", the black masked man removed his cover and it revealed Captain General Tyler. Jessica is already worried. Things could go differently and the king could find out about their plan.

"J", Tyler called her informally. Jessica had been so anxious but now she realized what Tyler must have been feeling. 

"Let me hug you for once and the last time", Tyler said and without waiting for her answer, he goes to her and wrapped her in his arms. 

Saranghae, he said in his mind. 

I do. So much, he kissed her hair.

I can't seem to let you go, as he hug her tighter.

She hug him back and buried her face in his chest. 

A love that you can't keep. 

Goodbye, T, Jessica sobs.

"Thank you", she whispered in between tears.

A knock came on the door, and the two moved away from each other. Jessica turned her back from the door to wipe her tears.

"They are here", Kangin said, one of Tyler's trusted soldier. Prince Donghae entered with Hangeng and Kibum. Jessica did not recognize them at first because they are disguised as merchants.

Donghae noticed Jessica's eyes are puffy from crying.

"Prince Donghae", Tyler bowed at him but he is stiff and rigid. 

"I would like to speak with Princess Jessica. Just us, two", Donghae asked for everyone to leave them alone. Jessica took a deep breath.

"Are you alright?", Donghae asked as he goes near to Jessica. She nods, but he doesn't believe her. She just can't hide her feelings from him.

"This is all so sudden. Everything is going so fast", she sighs.

"I got back as a princess and the next thing I know, I was to be married off", Jessica said.

"And here I am, asking you to marry me", she looked into his eyes. He sees her uncertainties, her hesitations, her frights, her anxities and worries.

What he did surprised her. Donghae wraps her in an embrace.

"Everything will be alright. You can trust me", he said.

"I do. That's why I am here in front of you", Jessica replied.

 

They sat facing each other. 

"What our country lacks, Seoul has it", Donghae said. 

"I am next in line to the throne. There is a possibility of Seoul and Mokpo's unification in the future", Jessica added.

"We have well trained army and our country is rich in resources", he said. Jessica nods.

Our marriage is for the mutual benefit of both our countries, Jessica said in her mind. 

"And you cannot find any other prince as capable as I am", Donghae said making Jessica chuckle. She's trying to hold her laughter but she cannot. Her laughter echoed through behind the closed door and the people outside have been wondering what the two are talking inside but just keep the curiosity to themselves.

"I think I can tell you this now", Jessica said. She haven't thanked him before for saving her life, and it's the right time to thank him.

"You saved me", she said. 

"Thank you for saving me at the dungeon", Jessica said. Donghae was surprised that she knew.

And now, thank you for saving me again from my brother's planned wedding for me and lord Jaejoong, she added in her mind.

I fulfilled my promise, Donghae said in his thoughts. Jessica smiled at him and he is amused with himself at how he likes to see the smile in her eyes.

As a conclusion of their talk, the marriage is a royal duty they are both doing for the sake of their country. 

 

The wedding is held in a chapel. No fancy entourage, and no lavish flowers adorned the islet and the altar. There is no angelic voices of the choir and the bride and groom are not dressed fabolously. The princess is wearing a plain knee length white dress and the prince in his disguised merchant clothes, a simple pants and a shirt. The bishop ministered the ceremony and the religious serves as the witnesses. Not more than fifty people are present on one of the most important wedding of Seoul.

"Prince Donghae of Mokpo and Princess Jessica of Seoul. You are not of two entities anymore but one in heart, mind and soul", the bishop said. 

"You may now kiss the bride", the minister said to Donghae. 

They have not been ready for this part. Donghae looks at Jessica and she looks right back at him.

Oettoekke (What to do)?, Jessica ask herself.

His face moves closer to her, and Jessica could feel her heart beating loudly in her chest. Their faces are just an inch apart. 

"Can I kiss you?", he asked softly. He waits for her reply and she nods slowly.

He leans to kiss her and she closes her eyes. He kissed her lightly on her lips. It just was a split of second that their lips touched but she feels tingling sensation all over her body. 

The people applauded. Their wedding would be known as the princess eloping an arranged marriage to marry the one she loves. A love story everyone would die for. 

Jessica opens her eyes and she could feel her cheeks burning. 

Donghae smiles seeing how she blushes.

Kyeopta (Cute)!, he said to himself.

 

After the wedding, Jessica immmediately changed to a guy's clothing. She will go with Donghae back to Mokpo to strengthen the ties of their wedding and pay respect to Prince Donghae's parents, King Lenard and Queen Lena. She had to be in disguise to pass the border. She mounts in one of the horses.

Tyler touched Donghae's shoulder.

"Do take care of her with your life", Tyler said to him.

"I will treat her as my life", Donghae said. Tyler remove his hand and bid farewell to them.

"Soon, the palace will notice the princess absence. Cross the border safely", Tyler said to everyone.

The group of four people left. The newlyweds Donghae and Jessica, and the soldiers Hangeng and Kibum.

 

The guards at the borders saw them and inspect everyone. Jessica checks the cover on her face. Her heart is beating so loud.

One of the guards moves his hand to uncover Jessica and Donghae readies the sword in his hand.

"Aigoo!", Hangeng drops his purse and gold coins fell to the ground. He picks them and purposely left some gold coins. The guard became distracted and did not check on Jessica anymore. 

Jessica breathe a sigh of relief.

They are free to pass and they started to move.

"Chankamanyo (Wait)!", one guard called out. 

Jessica holds her breath and grips the rope tighter. The suspense is killing her.

Let us pass now! N.O.W! she is tempted to blurt out.

The gray clouds are over them and lightning flashes the sky. Soon, it will rain.