Meteor Shower

Summer Solstice

Four people are waiting for clearance on the border.

"Chankamanyo!", the guard said. 

"It's going to rain soon. Take care on your way to Mokpo", he added and let them leave. They all breathe in relief. 

They made it out of Seoul and are travelling to Donghae's country. 

 

The palace guards who were with Princess Jessica, kneel infront of King Heechul. They had informed him that the princess is gone and gave a copy of the marriage certificate of the princess to Prince Donghae. 

"You, little sister!", Heechul gritted his teeth and crumpled the marriage certificate in his hand.

 "Where is Princess Krystal right now?!", the King demanded for their youngest sibling. 

You think you can outsmart me, Soo Yeon?, he asked in his mind. 

"Bring me Soo Jungah!", he said with his face flushed with anger.

 

First night in Mokpo came with ease. Jessica brought up the matress to cover her body as she lays on the bed. She spread her hand in front of her and stares at her wedding ring. It was her mom's. 

It was such a long day and I'm already married now, Jessica said to herself. 

I'm already married, she repeats it to herself. After the ordeal of escaping her arranged marriage with Jaejoong, she is now faced with the reality that she is already Prince Donghae's wife. 

Everything will be alright, Jessica said to herself. She had been an optimitic person before her mother's death. She's regaining that self.

 

On the other side of wall, Prince Donghae is also awake. He is writing an encrypted letter to his father to inform him that they are on their way to Mokpo castle and their plan is a success. He folded the letter and tied it to a bird and let if fly out of the window.

He watched as the bird flew. He is just sitting by the window when the rain fell.

I can fall asleep now, he said to himself. Rain always brings him serenity and peace and prefers it more than sunshine.

We'll work it out somehow, he said to himself thinking about his marriage with Jessica.

 

The next day, they arrived at a town, and Donghae came with Jessica to shop for some clothes. She only brought with her just a couple of pieces when she left the castle and Donghae led Jessica to one of the finest shops in town.

"Annyeong haseyo", the store owner greeted them. The prince without his adornment and royal clothing can pass up for any commoner with good looks and manners.

"Annyeong haseyo", both Jessica and Donghae replied at the same time. 

"What a lovely young couple", the store owner exclaimed.

"A-aniyo", they both replied at the same time again, both having flushed cheeks. The store owner looked at them and sees the wedding rings in their fingers and gave quizzical look, seeming to ask if they're not married.

Both are not yet used to their married marital status

"I meant,  do we look lovely together?", Jessica asked.

The store owner, an ajhumma in her sixties widely grinned.

"You both look perfect together", she replied and takes Jessica by the arms.

"I would die to have a handsome husband like him", she added, making Donghae blush some more with her comment. 

Jessica tries to suppress her laughter, but just cannot hold it in seeing how the store owner winked at Donghae and his reaction. The ajhumma is such a warm person and just teasing him.

"Yeobo, what did I hear?", asked a man who just emerged from the counter desk.

"Aniya (Nothing). I said my husband is the most handsome", the ajhumma replied to her husband. The husband laugh, then the ajhumma followed laughing.

Such a beautiful elderly couple, Jessica thought to herself. She is reminded of how her parents look at each other, and that love in their eyes.

Sighs, she breathe out and when she turns her head, her eyes meet with Donghae. She could feel her heart beating fast and immediately turn her back at him and he quickly looked the other way.

Was he looking at me?, she could feel blood is rising to her face. She taps her face lightly.

What's wrong with me?, she asked herself.

 

"Oh dear!", exclaimed the store owner. Jessica just came out from the dressing room, and is wearing a yellow dress that fits to  her slim waist and reaches to her knees. 

"You look very lovely", the ajhumma clasped her hands together. Jessica smiles shyly. 

"Oette (How is it)?", Jessica asked looking at Donghae. He can't take his eyes off her. 

"Beautiful", he said under his breath as he is enthralled with her beauty. Jessica blushes hearing his compliment.

The ajhumma's husband chuckled beside Donghae waking him up from his trance.

"I mean it fits good on you", Donghae said and laughs softly. He feels shy as how he probably looked mesmerized just a second ago.

 

The young couple thanked the store owners and left the store after buying some women's clothes.

"Such a young couple", the ajhumma placed her arm behind her husband's waist while watching them leave the door.

"Being shy around each other, like how we were when we just got married", the husband laughs.

The ajhumma joined in laughing.

"They just look adorable", she added the turns to face her husband.

"You look adorable", she smiled and pinched his cheeks lightly.

 

Jessica and Donghae are walking the street to meet with Hangeng and Kibum. But the streets are packed with people because of the Meteor Shower festival that is happening that night, and one could easily get lost in the crowd.

Jessica reached out to Donghae's arms and stayed close to him. He stopped walking and looks at her hand on his arm and sees her confused expression while looking at the crowd. 

He removes her hand on his arm and Jessica looks at him.

"Can I not hold your arm?", she asked, being in the middle of an open crowd makes her feel uneasy, she just noticed it recently. Before, she was fine with it. When she was young, she would even escape from the palace to be with the crowd. But it somehow changed.

He shakes his head then takes her hand and intertwined in his own.

"Will this do?", he asked. Donghae looks shy and cannot even look at her in the eyes. Jessica looks at their linked hands and took a few seconds before she nods in agreement.

They continued to walk while holding hands.

His hand feels so comfortable, Jessica thought to herself. She is not anymore looking at the crowd but on their intertwined fingers. She looks at Donghae's face looking straight on, and sees a smile formed on his lips. She can't help herself but smile too.

Somehow she feels secured in that open crowd with him by her side.

 

After dinner at a restaurant, the group of four went to join the festival. The two royalties with Hangeng and Kibum went to the open field to watch the bonfiire and merry making and dances of the people. There will be meteor shower that night as predicted by their lunar calendar.

However, when Jessica looks behind to check Hangeng and Kibum, they are not there anymore. Jessica and Donghae are alone together again.

Hangeng and Kibum watched from a distance and made a high five.

"Let's give them time to be by themselves", Hangeng said.

"And for the next plan", Kibum said and grinned.

 

Jessica and Donghae are holding hands again while on the sides watching the dancers perform. Isn't it interesting how their hands fit perfectly together? And they don't find it awkward nor uncomfortable. It's like they have been holding hands for their whole life.

Out in the open field, with the vast and clear night sky, and with golden stars twinkling, Jessica's face lit up in happiness. Donghae watched her secretly. He loves to see that twinkling of happiness in her eyes.

No need to shed more tears, Sicayah. That was the past, he said to himself.

"Owh", Hye Kyo, the store owner ajhumma recognized the two.

"Ajhumma", Jessica greeted the older couple.

"Joong Ki ajhussi", Donghae bows in respect to the older people. Where can a prince bow to ordinary people? Only him in his incognito look. 

"Aiden-ssi and Jessica-ssi", Joongki, the elder man said. Aiden is Donghae's name when he is disguising himself from being the prince.

The two couples went on a double date. Hye Kyo dragging with her Jessica and encourages her to dance the festival dance. Jessica tried to refuse but ajhumma is so persistent and so enthusiastic that Jessica surrendered. 

Donghae and Joong Ki watched their wives laughing and dancing with the rest of the women. 

"My wife is just like that", Joong Ki said and laugh.

"She's unstoppable", he said.

"Mian for disturbing your date, though", he added.

"No problem ajhussi. My wife seems to be enjoying herself", Donghae replied while watching Jessica laughs with Hye Kyo.

Did I just said 'my wife'?, he asked himself. He is already getting accustomed to being a married man.

"Yes, they are", the ajhussi replied. 

"Ajhussi, if I may ask. What's the secret for your happy marriage?", Donghae asked. Joong Ki paused to ponder.

"There's no secret, son", Joong Ki said and taps Donghae's shoulder.

"Just keep the love burning. Love conquers all", Joong Ki replied.

Donghae took a deep breath and looks again at a distance to where Jessica is enjoying herself.

What if there's no love to begin with, he asked himself.

We'll make it work somehow, he said to himself.

 

The performance stopped after two hours and the bonfire has been put down. In total darkness, the spectators awaits for the  meteor showers. Everyone is sitting on the ground.  One, two meteor showers. Then came like hundreds of them in the sky. 

"Wow!", Jessica claps her hands. 

"Amazing", Donghae said. He had watched this festival before but he remembered it wasn't this exciting. He was with his friends. But right now, he just feels so happy with Jessica by his side. His smile goes from ear to ear as they watched this natural and breath taking night show. The meteor continues to fall, as the young couple watch to their heart's content. 

Jessica hadn't noticed it herself, but she just suddenly finds herself leaning on Donghae, her head on his shoulder. Donghae doesn't seem to mind, so she stayed comfortably in that position.

"Golden Sky!", Donghae hears Jessica exclaimed. 

"Thank you for this lovely evening, Donghaessi", Jessica said. Donghae pats Jessica's head making Jessica pout and unlean her head on his shoulder. 

"Thank you for this lovely evening, too", he said and smiled. Jessica's lips turned to a smile and she leans her head back on his shoulder.

 

Song couple decides to walk the Lee couple to the inn where they will be staying at. The inn keepers are their friends so they are dropping by also.

At the inn, Donghae asked for the keys to their rooms and the inn keeper handed him one. 

"Ajhussi, we have two rooms", Donghae said. The inn keeper checks his list.

"There's only one room reserved for you", the inn keeper replied. Blood drains from his face.

Hangeng and Kibum!, Donghae screams in his mind.

"Hokshi (Perhaps), do you have a spare one?", he asked, but the inn keeper shakes his head. Because of the festival, the rooms are filled. 

Jessica approach Donghae because he is taking a long time. 

"Is there any problem?", Jessica asked. 

"We only have one room", he replied. 

Jessica didn't show any reaction reaction at first. Her mind is still processsing what she heard.

We only have one room, she repeats in her head.

We only have ONE room?, did she heard it correctly?

"What?!", her face is horrified. 

"There's only one room left", he answered.

So, then, are we spending the night together? In one room?, Jessica asked in her mind.