Morning Dew

Summer Solstice

"Remember what I said", Hye Kyo whispered to Jessica, and Jessica's face turned all red.

"Ajhumma!", Jessica exclaimed while Hye Kyo winked.

Then the Song couple left the inn and the Lee couple are left with the inn keeper.

With the lamp in his hand, the inn keeper led them upstairs to their room.

"What was it that Hye Kyo ajhumma said?", Donghae asked out of curiosity.

"Nothing", Jessica replied, but her face turned red again even in the faint light of the candle. Donghae shakes his head in confusion.

 

The atmosphere inside the room is stuffy. 

Oettoekke?, Jessica asked herself as she stands to the far side of the room while Donghae sits himself comfortably on the bed.

"Come on, baby", Jessica sees Donghae lying on the bed and asks her to join him in. Jessica looked horrified and shakes her head. Just a figment of her imagination. She sighs in relief. 

"I'd better check my bag", Jessica said loudly and let out a nervous laugh while she goes to pick up her small luggage that Hangeng had left. She clutch it to her chest and immediately goes inside the wash room.

Her chest had been pounding loudly. Hye Kyo had given unsolicited advice to Jessica back at the Festival. She hinted about honeymoon and the fun part of discovering new things about your partner. 

Is she scared? Afraid? Excited? She's feeling mixed emotion that she doesn't understand.

"Remember what I said", Hye Kyo's teasing sounded in Jessica's ears. 

Clear your head, Soo Yeon, Jessica said to herself as she shakes her head.

You're already married now, she reminded herself.

She looks at herself in the mirror. 

Even if this is a marriage of convenience, I am already Prince Donghae's wife.

Yah, Jessica! Haven't you prepared yourself enough? You have already known even before that you'll be in this situation. You can't back out now, she scolded herself.

She breathe deeply and changed to her pyjamas. After changing, she slowly opens the door, pulse racing and her heart is beating very fast. 

Come what may, she closed her eyes and steps into their room and closed the wash room door. 

 

Thank goodness!, Jessica breathes out in relief. Donghae laid himself on the floor next to the bed and he seemed to be sleeping already. 

Jessica walks slowly in tiptoes so as not to wake him up. She watches him and he isn't stirring.

He is already asleep. 

 

Dearest Soo Jungah, Jessica with an ink, quilt and a paper started to write her second letter to Krystal. The first letter, she hoped Krystal already received it.

It's me, unnie, Jessica continues to write. Her eyes starts to get moist. 

I am still on the journey to Mokpo palace. We've been there once, before. But you were still a baby then, however you are a baby to me now and always, and Jessica talked about the Meteor Shower Festival also. 

Tears fall her eyes as she ended her letter. 

Loving you infinitely,

Soo Yeon unnie.

 

Donghae is in fact, still awake. When Jessica came out from the washroom, he was trying so hard to appear like he's already sleeping. He slowly opened his eyes when he heard Jessica grabbed a chair. He takes a peep to what she's doing.

Donghae can't help but stare at her. The light of the candle lights up half of her face and cast a shadow on the other side. She looks beautiful and mysterious but fragile. 

He wasn't aware how long he had been staring, and just saw her wiping her eyes while writing the letter.

It must be a letter to Krystal, Donghae thought to himself. As far as he knows, this is the first instance that the two sisters have been separated. He felt a tugging in his heart. He and his hyung (older brother) also have a close relationship and he has to admit that he felt a little bit sad when his brother married and had to move out of the palace to live separately.

It must have been harder for you since you are older and have been like Krystal's parents for two years, he said to himself. After your parents died, you shouldered the responsibility of the two of you. 

King John and Queen Jane must be so proud of you, Donghae said in his mind.

 

Jessica tossed and the bed. She cannot bring herself to sleep. Her mind wanders to her sister. She got a robe and goes out to the balcony.

It's cold, she said to herself as she hugs the robe to herself.

Soo Jungah, pogo shipeo, Jessica said in her mind.

She cannot bring herself not to think about her sister.

I should have brought you along, the moment she crossed the border, she regret leaving alone.

"Unnie. I will be alright. I took after you, right", Krystal said to her before her planned escape. Jessica hugged her sister.

"You have to do this. You should and you can", her younger sister encouraged her. 

"I will be fine here", Krystal said and smiled. 

"You have to go now, unnie", Krystal let go of Jessica's arms. 

"We'll be together again soon", she added.

 

Jessica watched the night sky.

"You cannot sleep?", she was startled when she heard Donghae's voice.

She turns around and see him leaning by the doorway of the balcony. Her heart skipped a beat. He looks just gorgeous with that pose.

"I can't", Jessica replied looked away.

They are seated a few feet away from each other. The calmness of the evening envelops them and each one in separate world. The silence between them is not an awkward silence but a comfortable one. 

 

"Jessica", Donghae calls Jessica to wake her up. She isn't moving.

"Jessica", Donghae taps her shoulders but she is not waking up still.

"Jessica!", he lightly shakes her but is getting no response.

How can I wake her up?, Hae asked himself. He is getting frustrated already. The sun is already high up the sky and he had been waking her for an hour already. They need to travel to the castle, the King and Queen are anticipating their arrival that night.

 

Hangeng and Kibum are at the door and contemplating if they should knock or just wait for them to come out. 

"Is our plan a success?", Hangeng whispered to Kibum.

"There were only just the two of them last night and they're coming out late", Kibum grinned.

Hangeng placed his ear to the door, then the door suddenly opened suprising the two eaves droppers. 

"Prince Donghae!", Kibum exclaimed. Donghae immediately closed the door behind him and faced the two. 

"What do you think you're doing here outside?", he asked them. 

"We we're just- uhm checking", Hangeng replied. 

"Ajhussi! You two!", Donghae complained.

"I still haven't forgotten what the two of you conspired yesterday", Donghae said and walked passed them. He decided to stay at an inn rather than to a nobles' house, so they can have separate bedroom, but they ended up together in one room. The two followed him.

"Why?", Kibum asked.

"You two are married couple", Hangeng added. 

"Ajhussi!", Donghae them a warning look.

"Any progress?", Hangeng smiled and teased Donghae.

"I don't know what you're talking about", Donghae continued downstairs. 

"Prince and Princess Lee together. Will we be expecting a baby prince soon?", Kibum asked.

Donghae blushed and hit the two soldiers.

"You, two. Aiishh!", Donghae immediately walked away from them.

The two soldiers just laughed with themselves.

 

Donghae brought some foods upstairs. He noticed yesterday that Jessica was eating a lot of tacos, the delicacy of that place. In deed, Jessica rose from the bed upon smelling the sweet aroma of the food. Food is her best friend now. 

However, even if they are catching up time, Jessica is on slow pace. She took a long time fixing herself, taking a bath and dressing up. Donghae and the others are waiting for her, and his face cannot be drawn anymore. Finally, the princess comes downstairs and is now ready for the travel.

"You're such a turtle!", Donghae can't help himself.

"At this time, we will arrive at the castle later than expected", he added. There is already a party organized for them and to keep the people waiting later that night, is not prudent.

"I did not know there will be a welcome gathering tonight", Jessica replied back.

"And don't blame me because you kept me awake all night. I slept very late", she added and walked passed them all going out of the inn.

"I woke you up, but you just don't even budge", Donghae followed her outside and they continue to bicker.

"Did you hear what Princess Jessica said?", Kibum smiled from ear to ear.

"I heard it loud and clear", Hangeng added and did a high five with Kibum.

"He kept her awake all night", Kibum chuckled. 

 

Jessica is sulking inside the carriage. She is still sleepy but she's mad at Donghae.

Did he have to scold her infront of everyone?, she breathes in and out.

After last night, they really had a good time talking about everything under the sun. Their past experiences, Donghae's relationship with his brother and Jessica and her sister's mischievous deeds when they're younger. They talked and laughed until dawn, that's why Jessica was not able to sleep, and when she gets less sleep, she is just too difficult to wake up.

It took her a while to prepare herself because she will be meeting Donghae's parents that night, the whole family, Mokpo officials and nobles. She is Seoul's princess, and she should be that representation of her country.

Donghae is outside with the two soldier ajhussi. 

Why did I lose my patience earlier?, he asked himself.

But he knows the answer. 

Even though it's not right anymore, he still wishes to see her. 

I am married now. I shouldn't be getting this anxious in seeing her again, he said to himself.

I shouldn't. But I am, he shakes his head. At the party that evening, there's a woman he knows who will be there.

 

Prince Donghae and Princess Jessica did a curtsy to King Lenard and Queen Lena who awaits them at the entrance hall.

Queen Lena opened her arms for Princess Jessica.

"Princess Soo Yeon, daughter. Welcome", the Queen hugs Jessica. The Queen's warm smile and gentle hug is a suprise for Jessica. She immediately feels at home. 

"I am so glad to see you again", the Queen added and ushered for them inside the castle. 

Donghae and Jessica are still not talking and had been avoiding meeting each other's eyes. Will they go through the celebration looking a happily married couple?

 

The party ended at midnight. But Donghae still hasn't come to their room yet and Jessica had been waiting for him. She had many things she wants to say to him.

She had a couple of glass of wine and her cheeks are flushing. 

The door opened and came Donghae. He is surprised to see her still awake. 

Jessica watched as Donghae walks towards her. 

My hero, who always saves me, she says to herself. She is always grateful for what Donghae had done in the past. He had saved her life many times already. He had seen her at her lowest times, and she will never forget how he comforted her. 

We're they friends? Or just acquaintances? Just someone she meets at a few occasions? But that someone she places her full confidence and trust, enough to marry him. 

"Are you drinking?", Donghae asked.

"It's just wine", she replied and showed the bottle to him.

Donghae sits opposite her and poured himself a wine. He also had some things in mind that he wants to say to her. 

"I am sorry for scolding you this morning", Donghae said after sipping the wine.

"Yes, you should be", Jessica nods.

"What else?", she asked. Donghae scratched his head.

"For apologizing only now, you should be sorry too for not doing it sooner", Jessica points out.

Donghae ponders to himself.

"Okay. I apologize for that", he replied.

"What else?", Jessica asked again.

"What else?!", Donghae asked her in confusion.

"I", Jessica breathes out. 

"I am your wife", she said straight forwardly.

Donghae is surprised to hear that from her. 

"But you left me earlier. Shouldn't you have stayed by my side?", she asked, remembering how Donghae is with the company of other women, one she knew as Lady Dara. 

Donghae sensed the hurt in her voice. 

"Mianhada (I am sorry)", he replied. He had been insensitive and thoughtless. 

"Do you love her?", Jessica asked him. She looks at him in his eyes.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked that. Forget it", she took a sip of wine. They are married and friendly with each other. But should she be asking these things to him, she had second thoughts.

They are starting their life together as a couple. He shouldn't do anything that would jeopardize their relationship whatever they have right now, Donghae thought to himself.

She stood up and walked passed him.

"Promise", Donghae caught her hand and Jessica stops on her track.

"I promise. It will not happen again", he said.  

"I will stay by your side and will never leave again", Hae said. His eyes tells his sincerity.

"Yaksuk (Promise)", Donghae held up his pinky finger. Jessica believes his every word.

"Yaksuk", Jessica linked her pinky finger to his. 

They both have the same belief that marriage is sacred and they shouldn't let any other meddle in between. That's what they both said to each other before their wedding. That even if it's a marriage of convenience, they will be loyal to each other and will keep the respect they have between them. They will do their best to make things work out.

"I give my word", Donghae said. 

 

They had more bottles and glasses of wine. Time was forgotten. 

Laughters echoed the room. 

"It's hot!", Jessica complaints and fans herself. Her face is already red as the effect of alcohol in her system.

"It's really hot", Hae is ing his shirt and he is already unaware of what he is doing. His mind and body cannot tolerate too much alcohol. 

It still dawn outside. The morning dew formed on the leaves of the trees, by the cold air. The sun will come up soon.

 

 

Jessica snuggled closer to her pillow. She smiled.

Ahhh! So comfortable, she said to herself.

The pillow the she usually hugs is soft and fluffy. However, what her cheeks is on right now is warm and sturdy. And she's hearing a calm heartbeat. 

Bwoya (What)?, she asked herself. She's still in between dreams and reality. 

Then she smells a masculine scent. She forced her eyes to open and it took a few seconds for her realization.

"Aaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!", her dolphin screamed echoed through the room.

Donghae woke up with her siren sound and squint his eyes to adjust to the light.

 

"Waaaahhhhhh!", Donghae screamed. He is surprised to see Jessica next to him on the bed and his arm wrapped around her. He rolled to the other side and fall out of bed.

Jessica immediately pulled the sheets towards herself and scrambled out of the bed.

"What did you do?", they point at each other.