Aurora Borealis

Summer Solstice

King Heechul smiles gleefully upon seeing the Princess.

"My younger sister!", the King rushed to her and hugs her. 

"King Heechul!", Jessica was surprised. The King looked very agitated and unwell. His hair is unkempt, his clothes are wrinkled and looked liked he hasn't changed them for days and he hasn't taken his bath.

"They're trying to kill me! Save me, Princess Soo Yeon", from having all smiles, the King's face turned distraught and scared.

"Soo Yeonah. Jebal (Please). Save me!", the King kept on repeating his words.

"Oppa", Jessica can't help but feel sad for her brother. 

"What happened to you?", Jessica asked.

 

Heechul was removed from the throne and Princess Jessica takes over the crown as the next in line successor. 

As the Queen, she had so much work to do with the problems that her brother had caused. There is a huge discrepancy with the royal funds for the people and it's been found out to have been pocketed by the King or had been spent lavishly or was given to allies and relatives. The money supposedly intended for the people never reached their destination. 

For six months, Queen Jessica had to find ways to return that money to her people and to renew alliance with the nobles and lords, and set a vision to achieve for their country.

 

"Queen Jessica", Angela who is now head of the palace relations, entered the Queen's hall.

"It's already late Your Highness", the Queen's previous nanny said to her.

Jessica looks out the window. The sun is still up.

Right, it's summer solstice, she said to herself. 

"I will finish this one, and I will rest afterwards unnie", Jessica responded and smiled.

"You have been working day and night and you don't even take a day's rest", Angela said.

"There's so much to be done, still", the Queen replied.

"If King Donghae would be here, don't you think sharing the burden of the work will be more productive?", the former nanny said. 

The mention of his name, Jessica stopped in reading the papers.

"King Donghae just got to the throne. He would have many things to do than me", Jessica replied. It has not been a month since King Leonard abdicated the throne and passed it on to Donghae.

"By the way, Mokpo sent their reply. They will attend the Celebration of Seoul Founding Anniversary", Angela informed the Queen. Last year, the Millenial Celebration of Seoul is the biggest event in the entire continent This year would be less lavish and less grand to compensate for the country's previous expenses under the former King's rule.

"They will send their delegates?", Jessica asked.

"Ani. The King will come himself", Angela replied and smiled. She knows what the Queen feels for him.

Jessica dropped the paper she was holding but she picked them up right away.

"Ahhh. I see", she replied but her heart is hammering loudly in her chest.

"I will leave now Your Majesty", Angela bows but Jessica did not reply. She's lost in her thoughts.

 

After Jessica returned to Seoul, Donghae had sent her letters. But she wouldn't respond. Donghae would ask her to send an invitation to enter Seoul but Jessica doesn't want to see him. She doesn't want to hear what he wants to say. 

What if he wants to have our marriage cancelled? Can I accept to hear it from him?, she asks herself.

Now with the invitation being given, Donghae is coming himself. 

What does he wants to talk about? Am I ready to face him?, Jessica asks.

 

Seoul Founding Anniversary is the busiest day in Seoul. Royalties or delegates from other countries would come to renew their alliances and also to celebrate the foundation day of the country. 

 

Queen Jessica is at the Royal Banquet Hall welcoming her council and the guests. She has her red cape on, and her crown. Her aura is every bit of a Queen.

Princess Krystal came together with Prince Minho. King Onew of Incheon is not able to come , so he sent the prince.

Krystal walks so fast towards Jessica. She had grown taller and more beautiful, Jessica noticed at first glance.

"Your Highness", Krystal bows and smiles widely. She had to contain her excitement and not to squeak or giggle in front of everyone. Jessica smiles widely in seeing her younger sister.

"Soo Jungah", Jessica wraps her arms around her. Both are so elated to see each other.

Irene and Prince Minho also bowed and Minho presented a gift from his country.

"Chukhahamnida, Queen Jessica", Minho said.

"Cuckoo! Cuckoo!", Minho whispered and did a thumbs up and wink.

The Queen laughs. Prince Minho had not forgotten that incident back at the forest. He had always respected Jessica since then, and everytime she visits Incheon for Krystal, Minho would make sure to give the best treatment for her. Minho had also been looking out for Krystal as Jessica's request to him. 

Krystal smirks. She doesn't like Minho much. He is so strict with her, but the Queen is so lax with him. 

 

"Oh! Hyung is here!", Minho said as he sees Donghae coming down from the stairs. 

Jessica followed his gaze and there she sees King Donghae. He is looking at the crowd then his head turned to her direction. 

He looked more handsome than the last time she'd seen him. Her heart can't deny how excited she is at the moment. 

Donghae oppa, Jessica said to herself. 

Their eyes meet. 

Still the same gentle eyes, she realized.

"Your Majesty", Krystal touched her arm. Jessica nods and taps Krystal's hand on her arm.

I'm fine, Jessica seemed to say. 

Krystal knows what her sister had gone through. Though she doesn't agree with her, and even thinks it's foolish to just leave him without telling anything, when her sister made up her mind, there's nothing Krystal can do. 

She watched as the King approached her sister. 

"Queen Jessica", King Donghae said. 

Jessica missed his deep masculine voice. She cannot read his expression. He looks composed and his face and gesture is so controlled. 

In the eyes of the law and the Church, they are still married couple. The crowd applause for them.

Their romantic elopement story still lives in the minds of the people except those afew who knows that it's a fabricated story. 

That even distance cannot separate them from each other. The Queen in Seoul and the King in Mokpo. Their ally countries are already anticipating the union of the two countries. 

What people know and what we have, are different, Jessica thought sadly.

"It's been a while, Sica", Donghae said then looks at her.

My heart stops when you look at me, Jessica looks the other way and catches her breath. 

"How have you been?", Donghae asked. He had anticipated this event, in seeing her again. Jessica looks back at him.

"I am-", Jessica was cut off . Something in the way he stares at her, makes her lost in her train if thoughts.

"I-", she stammered.

"Have you been well?", Donghae asked. 

Jessica can only nod in reply. Her mind just went blank.

Paboyah?, she asked herself.

 

Donghae never left the Queen's side since. She already gave her welcome speech and the festivities started but he still is staying with her. She feels uncomfortable but when she looks at him secretly, he seemed to be enjoying himself. Donghae caught her looking at her, and she quickly looked away. 

During dinner, Donghae picked foods for her. And there was once when their hands touched, Jessica felt that tingling sensation under her skin, she had immediately pulled back her hand. His smile makes her just wants to stare at him. When he laughs, it's like music in her ears. 

"May I have this dance with the Queen?", Donghae offered his hand. Jessica looks at him, stunned.

"May I?", he asked again. 

He smiles at her, and she can't help herself but smiles back. 

"Yes", she answered.

 

The mellow music echoed through the room.

Donghae placed his hand behind her waist and holds Jessica's hand with his other hand. 

She kept a distance but Donghae pulled her closer to him. She's so close to him, she could feel his breath. She inhaled his perfume, she's really in his arms again.

Donghae lead her in dancing as they sway to the music. 

"When gold turns to dust", Donghae starts to sing as he whispers in her ear.

"and times do get tough", he continued. 

Jessica remembers just a year ago, at the garden, Donghae hums this song to her. She was tired of wearing her heels, so she removed them and Donghae had her step on his feet as they danced together.

"Then baby, would you still love me the same", he sang the song in her ear.

She stopped dancing. 

How could I let you go?, she regretfully asked.

"Mianhe", Jessica said and excused herself. She clutched her chest. It feels like her heart is going to burst.

 Jessica went out of the banquet hall and goes out towards the garden.

"Queen Jessica", Tyler said as he met her on the stairs. 

"Yes, Lord Tyler", she replied back but continued on her way.

"Wait, Your Majesty", he followed after her. 

Jessica continued to walk and stooped in the middle of the garden. She sits on a bench near the fountain and took a deep breath.

"Is there any problem?", Tyler asked.

 

"Sica", Donghae just arrived at the entrance of the garden and sees Tyler.

"Could you please leave us for a moment?", Donghae asked him.

I cannot run away forever. Whatever it is, I have to accept it, Jessica closed her eyes for a second.

"Yes, please Lord Tyler. Leave us for now", Jessica said.

"Arasseo, Your Highness", Tyler bowed. He looks at Donghae and left. 

 

"Sica", Donghae calls to her and walks towards her.

"I will speak first", Jessica said quickly.

"You are not bound to me anymore. Let's end this marriage", she said.

"What?", Donghae was surprised.

"Why?", he asked.

"I can't do this anymore", Jessica answered.

"I don't want you to be unhappy with me", she added and turned her back.

Even if Seoul and Mokpo will not unite, our countries can still remain as allies and on mutual relation, Jessica said to herself.

You can be happy with the woman that you love, she thought to herself.

"Sireunde", Donghae answered.

"I will not allow this marriage to end", he said. 

"I am giving you your freedom", Jessica said.

Take it, before I change my mind.

"I don't want that", he replied.

Jessica turned to face him.

"Then do you want to stay married with me, while you're with Sunyessi?", Jessica's voice is starting to rise up.

"What?!", Donghae cannot understand why Sunye's name had been brought up.

"You love her. She stayed by your side and refuse to marry someone else. You didn't even tell me about it", 

"You're angry because I didn't tell you". 

"Ani", Jessica answered.

"For three days you were fighting death. Do you know how scared I was?", she had relied on Donghae too much and the thought of living without him in the world is so frightening.

"I told myself that as long as you're well and alive, I'd do whatever that would bring you happiness", she said.

"Facing the council was scary, but I had to do it. You made me do it. You gave me strength to stand in front of all of them".

"Sica", Donghae walks closer.

"Then there's Lady Sunye. I'm not angry", Jessica confessed.

"However, I feel sorry for the both you. Because of me and our marriage deal", Jessica stopped.

"So, let's end our deal. Let's end it right here!", Jessica exclaimed.

"Is that what you want?", Donghae asked. 

No, she protest against herself.

"Yes", she answered softly.

"Is that what you really want?", Donghae asked again. 

Her tears fall on her face as she nods.

"I don't believe you", Donghae said. 

"You're a bad liar Soo Yeonah", he cupped her face in his hands and kissed her on her lips.

Jessica was surprised. Tears fall on her face, as she close her eyes and responded to his kisses. They are both breathless when Donghae ended the kiss. 

They looked at each other in the eyes.

"That's not what you want", Donghae said.

"No".

"I want to be with you", Jessica said.

"Then stay with me, coz I will never let you go", Donghae said and leans down to kiss her again.