Fire Whirls

Summer Solstice

Jessica dressed up and met with the the King.

King Heechul is sitting on his throne and Jessica pays respect to him.

"Your Majesty", Jessica said while her head bowed down.

"I will not keep this long, Princess Jessica", the King said.

"It has come to my knowledge that some nobles are planning to overthrow my rule and they're asking for your support", he said. Jessica lift up her face to meet his eyes.

"What are your thoughts about this?", her brother asked. Jessica bowed her head again.

"Your Majesty, you are my brother. You can have my word that I will not support any coup against you", Jessica replied. 

I am doing this for the people, she said to herself.

"In our every blood is the blood of our father, and while you are wearing the crown, there will be no politics for me, Your Majesty", she added. King Heechul smiled.

"Well, then. That's a relief to hear", he replied.

"However", Jessica said and lift up her face again.

"I request from Your Majesty, to reinstate me and Princess Krystal in the palace, with all our provisions and rights as what our father, King John had instructed", Jessica said with a conviction in her voice.

King Heechul had not anticipated what Jessica had said. 

That is not so bad, the King said in his mind.

"Kurei (That's right)! We should follow what our father had said", King Heechul replied.

To keep you closer, then I can monitor your actions, he said in his mind.

"Thank you, Your Majesty", Jessica said and bowed down. 

Included in their father's will is the clause that Princess Jessica be the second in line next to Heechul. Once King Heechul dies, it will not be his offsprings that will inherit the crown, but it will be Princess Jessica.

Appa, I am taking now my destiny. Eomma, watch over me and pray for me. I will be the daughter you can be proud of, Jessica said to herself.

  

Jessica looks out from outside her window. 

Tomorrow, me and Soo Jung will be back, she said in her mind.

She watched the carriages leave the palace. The Millenial celebration of their Kingdom has ended and the guests are returning to their origin.

She sees Donghae giving a hand to the same woman as she entered the carriage. Donghae ride on his horse and stayed beside the carriage even as they go.

"Prince Donghae and Lady Dara", Jessica whispered to herself. 

Take care of yourself, Donghae oppa, Jessica said to herself.

Keep him safe always, God, Jessica clasped her hands in prayer.

 

The next morning, Jessica returned to Cheongdam to fetch Krystal and bid farewell to the people there. When the people learned that the princesses are going back to the palace, they immediately organized a send off gathering. 

The sisters received gifts like the bottles of fresh milk from Joan ajhumma, fresh fruits from an orchard of a young couple Shaira and Lloyd, delicious and healthy vegetables except cucumbers  from an old couple, and other stuff that are products in Cheongdam from the lovely people. 

Jessica and Krystal shed tears. The sisters easily cry when they are sad, angry or very happy. In this case, they are so touched by the thoughtfulness of their neighbors. 

"Ajhussi, ajhumma, oppas, unnies, everyone, we are so grateful to all of you", Jessica said as she wipes her tears. Krystal nods in agreement.

"We, jungsis, came here when we're left with nothing, and you all have welcomed us warmly. Me and my sister will always look to this time, and you all are like the golden stars in our night sky", Jessica said and bowed. 

"Thank you everyone", Jessica and Krystal thanked the people.

The people cheered and applauded the princesses. They have come to love them during the two-year stay in their place. The sisters were shy at first and didn't talk a lot with the neighbors; and after awhile, they opened up and the people were able to see that the two beautiful princesses are with golden hearts.

Jessica and Krystal rode on their carriage and waved to the people. 

We will miss you, Jessica said in her mind. Krystal looks at her sister and takes her hand.

"Everything will be alright", Jessica said to Krystal.

"I am always beside you", Krystal said and smiled.

Jessica taps her younger sister's head.

You've endured quite well. Let's not dwell on the past. Instead let's move on forward, Jessica thought to herself. Krystal had been her source of strength, always cheering her on and the reason she kept on living even if those two years were bleak and dark.

"Infinitely loving you", Krystal said and leans her head on her sister's shoulder. Jessica smiles. 

"Neh. Na do saranghae", and Jessica smiles.

"I can't wait to be back at the palace!", Krystal exclaimed. 

I am back stronger and better than before, Princess Jessica said to herself, as she steps out of the carriage infront of the entrance of the Seoul Palace. Krystal followed her sister's steps and she holds on to her arms. The palace guards bowed to them, and the two sisters walked inside the palace with their heads held high.

 

"I have already received invitation for your marriage, Princess Jessica", King Heechul in the banquet table. Jessica almost got choked with the food that she's eating.

It has already been a few days that the princesses are back at the palace and King Heechul made this anouncement while they are having breakfast.

"Kkeunde, oppa-", Krystal chimed in.

"I mean, Your Majesty", Krystal corrected her words.

"Your Majesty", Jessica responded and warned Krystal not to interfere. 

"Who then do I receive the invitation from?", Jessica asked. With the news of her as the second in line to the throne, there were influx of marriage proposal from other kingdom. However, as King Heechul mentioned the names and the countries from where the proposals are from, Jessica was feeling disheartened.

Do you really think I would submit myself those names you've mentioned?, Jessica rebelled inside. 

"We can wait for other proposal, Your Majesty. One that would benefit our country better with my marriage", Jessica said.

The King nodded. 

I will be the one to decide. To keep check your influence and power, I will be the one to choose, King Heechul said to himself.

Marriage for the royals would be a union of power, influence and would seal the peace between two nation. To accept a marriage proposal without this in mind, would defeat the purpose of an arranged marriage.

I had long accepted this destiny, an arranged marriage to another royal. But I will not accept that this is your way of keeping me under your control, oppa. I will not let you caged me in, Jessica said to herself.

My marriage would be for the benefit of the people, Jessica added. 

 

"The options are not good",  Kim Jo Han said, Jessica's teacher and tutor since she was a young, and King John's good friend and adviser.

"I would say they are lacking in so many things", her teacher added. Jessica had come to ask for advice with regards to her upcoming marriage.

"I will look into it", he said. Jessica took a deep breath.

"This is really interesting. I had anticipated Mokpo and Incheon to send their invitation. King James and King Lenard had planned the union of Seoul and Mokpo, but there was no letter from them", Jo Han said.

"The new King of Incheon, I suppose would have thought this as an opportunity to expand their power, but there was also no proposal from them", he added. The previous king of Incheon, King Charles is Prince Minho's father and is a good friend of Jessica's father. However, after he died, his nephew and prince Minho's cousin, the new king, King Onew, took over the throne. 

Or it could be that they are engaged to someone else already, Jessica thought to herself.

"Mokpo is smaller in territory and their army as well", Jessica said.

"What they lack in quantity, they compensate in quality. Their army is one of the best and well-trained soldiers", her teacher said.

Probably one of the reason why her father wants to be united with Mokpo, Jessica said in her mind.

"Your father only has the best interest for you in his heart", Jo Han said. Jessica smiles at her teacher. 

Yes, my father is the best, Jessica agreed in her thoughts.

 

The news about her engagement has been quiet for a few days and there is no news of any other proposals just yet.

One of the nobles daughter, lady Sunny is getting married and the royals are invited. Sunny is one of Jessica's friends back at the royal school but they haven't talked after Jessica's father died.

Jessica and Krystal came together, King Heechul and Queen Anna are following behind.

"Lady Sunny", Jessica approached the newly wed.

"Princess Jessica", Sunny did a curtsy. After Jessica had been reinstated in the palace, her power and influence had been given back to her.

"All my best wishes for your marriage", Jessica extends her hands. 

"Thank you, Your Highness", Sunny replied. However her eyes are showing sadness. Jessica knows that Sunny is in love with a childhood friend but he is a commoner, and that is not accepted by the family.

"We are just but young ladies when we first knew each other. We were full of dreams and of the illusion of love, but this is reality. Sunny-ah, happiness is a choice. Choose to be happy", Jessica and touched her old friend's hands. Sunny smiles in gratitude.

 

Jessica had been looking to one of tables. There is Prince Donghae with the same woman. 

"Captain General Tyler", Krystal said, and he looks at her.

"I have known some people here. But there are others I haven't known yet", she added.

"Who are those in that table? They are not from Seoul, right?", she asked. Krystal had been observing Jessica and noticed her sister had been secretly looking to that direction.

"They are from Mokpo. I believe that's lady Dara, close kinship of lady Sunny. Next to her is the Prince of Mokpo, Prince Donghae", Tyler said and continued to name the rest. Jessica is correct, the lady is lady Dara.

 

Tyler and Jessica are dancing the celebratory dance together with everyone else.

"I have heard of the marriage proposal from royalties", Tyler said. Jessica looks at him and saw the sadness in his eyes.

"T, I-", Jessica said but was cut off by Tyler.

"I know. I will always continue to be by your side, Princess Jessica", Tyler said. Jessica did not respond and they continued to dance. They changed partner and Jessica is paired with Donghae. Jessica is surprised to be partnered with him.

"Princess Jessica. Chukhahae (Congratulations)!", Donghae grinned.

"We (Why)?", Jessica asked. Donghae stopped dancing and acts to place an imaginary crown on her head.

"You've got your crown back", he smiled.

"But more than that, you've got yourself back", he added. Jessica bowed at him and smiled.

"I am forever grateful to you, Prince Donghae", Jessica replied. 

Lady Dara had been paired with Tyler and had been watching Donghae and Jessica together.

"I did not know that they are acquainted with each other", Dara said. Tyler looks to where she's looking and he sees Jessica is laughing with Donghae while they are dancing.

"They have known each other, I believe, during one of the royal visits of King John to King Lenard many years ago", Tyler responded. 

 

The dancing stopped and Donghae stayed with Jessica and Krystal.

"Prince Donghae, panggapsseumnida (Nice to meet you)!", Krystal did a curtsy and greeted him.

"You were still a baby when I last seen you, now you are almost as tall as your sister", Donghae noticed. 

"But she's still prettier, but I have better personality", Krystal said and smiled sheepishly.

"Both are mischievous princesses", Donghae replied making both the sister laughed.

"Kkeunde, oppa. Your country did not send any invitation for a marriage proposal", Krystal said and Jessica blushed from Krystal's straightforward approach.

Donghae is surprised with the young princess and looks at Jessica who is not meeting his eyes.

"We did. I did", Donghae answered. Jessica looks at him and is surprised with his reply.

 

King Heechul had been filtering the marriage proposals and would never allow more power and influence for his sister. And on that day, he had already accepted a marriage proposal.

"Princess Jessica", King Heechul came to her when he sees they are together with Prince Donghae.

"And Prince Donghae", he said. The two sisters did a curtsy and Donghae bowed.

"Your Majesty", the three said.

"I would like to announce here your upcoming marriage", the King said. 

"I have already accepted the proposal from lord Jaejoong of Jeju", King Heechul informed them. 

"It will be held two weeks from now", he added. Jessica couldn't believe it. His brother actually wants her to marry lord Jaejoong of Jeju, the third in line of succession?

This does not make sense, Jessica disagree in her mind.