Light Poles

Summer Solstice

Jessica and Minho were taken as hostages. The robbers wants to know who they are and from where they're from but Jessica will not tell. 

"You have to guess!", Jessica smiled.

"Jeju?", the scarfaced man asked. Jessica shakes her head.

"Ani", she said. 

She is playful with the two robbers who are guarding them. 

"Incheon?", the other one asked.

"I am not from Incheon", Jessica replied. 

The third man appeared and hit the heads of the two. Jessica gasped. She finds the two more amiable than the third one.

"She's from Seoul, you idiots!", the third one said. 

"The king of Seoul arrived yesterday and I've heard he has a son and daughters", he added with delight. He is thinking of how much money they can get from asking ransom from the king for his precious children.

"Your majesty!", the first two men bowed down. 

"Idiots!", the third man hit again their heads and left.

 "We're sorry to do this to you kids", said the scarfaced man. 

"But our mother got sick and that's when we needed the money", added the second one. The two men are brothers and from the time they were caught stealing and were hunted down by guards, they went into hiding and that's when they joined the bandits.

"What's your name?", Jessica asked. 

"I'm Han Geng", replied the scarfaced man.

"And this is my younger brother Kibum", he added.

"Nice to meet you two", Jessica extends her hand to them. 

The two men talked about their family and wish to see their mother again. 

They're not that bad, Jessica thought to herself. 

"But haven't you thought of going back to unhiding?", Jessica asked. The two thought deeply. 

"Of surrendering and living again in town", Jessica added. 

"Maybe you will be given amnesty by the King", Jessica is hopeful. 

 

It is a long day. Minho fall asleep again beside Jessica and she is feeling so tired as well. The walking, creeping down, feeling scared and pretending to be strong is taking a toll on her young mind and body. Her eyes are dozing off to sleep.

"Sshhh", Han Geng asks them to be quiet, and woke up Minho. Jessica becomes wide awake and is surprised.

"Go this way. Just go straight and do your best to escape", he whispered. Jessica nods and takes Minho with her who is still groggy. 

 

"Where are the kids?!", the third man came to check their hostages but they already escaped, and Han Geng and Kibum pretended to just woke uo.

"Idiots!", the third man slaps them and immediately left to inform their boss.

"Find them!", their boss is furious. 

"Don't let them escape!", he shouted to everyone. 

The bandits haven't run a distance when they are being encircled by palace guards. A combination of forces from Seoul and Mokpo blocked their path. Gold and Blue combination. 

"You are in the wanted list of robbers. I hereby capture you in the name of the King of Mokpo, King Lenard", the Captain General Leeteuk said and aimed his sword at them. The bandits dropped down their swords and surrendered.

 

Jessica and Minho are running for their lives. 

This is our only chance, she said to herself. She stumbled on a rock and got scratches on her arms and knees. 

"Noona", Minho bend down for her with a worried expression.

"I'm fine", Jessica stood up and wipes her knees and arms. Then they stood on their ground when they heard hooves of horses approaching them. 

The horses stopped infront of them and on one of the horse is her father. Jessica stood, unbelieving if it's real.

The King quickly went down from his horse and runs to his daughter. 

"My princess", the king is so relieved to find her safe. Her clothes are muddy and her hair unkempt. 

"I'm glad your safe", the king hugs Jessica. Jessica is so happy that finally, they are now safe. 

"Appa", she said and tears fall on her face and she closed her eyes. She fall asleep from exhaustion in the arms of her father. Her father lifts her up and on her face is a smile. 

Jessica slept for the whole time since she collapsed in her father's arms. She cannot get too worked out because her body is frail and their Seoul royal physician had already informed them before that Jessica has a hereditary condition that she easily gets fatigue, easily gets pale and her blood isn't enough to compensate when she's straining herself.

The whole evening, she had been sleep talking also. Her experience in the forest had been in her dreams. She had called out her father a lot of times, even Donghae and Minho's name, she also uttered.

The Mokpo royal physician suggested to King John to better go back to Seoul for Jessica's sake. She had nightmares and it might leave a trauma to her. King John and Queen Jane decided to head home the next day. Though it's regrettable that their visit had cut short, it would be for Jessica's health.

King John's family and royal guards left the next day.
The carriage starts to run and Jessica looks out of the window. She only sees Minho waving at her but no signs of Donghae. She still has the royal pocket knife with her.

You promised to return, but you didn't, Jessica thought to herself and clutched the royal knife.

Donghae is in his room. He is having high fever and chills. His arms got broken and is not a clean wound. The physician checked on him and diagnosed the young prince of infection. His arm had been pulled back to be aligned and even in his feverish condition, he felt the excruciating pain when the broken bone got pulled and straighten out together. He has a cast on his arm to immobilize his extremity.

When Donghae was still at the forest, he followed the robbers who were bringing Jessica and Minho. After he had found out their hide out, Minho ran back to direction of the castle. His arm is hurting but the lives of Minho and Jessica were in danger. He was sweating a lot from the pain and from tiredness but he only stops a second to catch his breath.

I have to inform them as soon as possible, his mind keeps telling him to run faster. Donghae met the palace guards and as soon as he lead them to the robbers' hide out, he was taken back to the palace to get treated.

"His arm looks bad", the physician informed Queen Lena. The Queen is looking worried for her son.

His arm had wounds on it, is already red and had been swelling. It's difficult to pull back the broken bone and align it when the swelling has started.

"If we can't connect back the broken bones, he will need to be amputated", the words of the physician brought horror to her.

"Andwe!", Lena replied.
"Do whatever you can do. Call other physician from other countries if you need to", the Queen looks horrified.
She went to the side of the bed and caressed her son's head.
"My son", she said with sad looks in her eyes.


Four years had passed. A girl with a yellow bandana on her head is tiptoeing to see passed beyond the crowd. But she can never see the parade that's going on at the street. The sun is shining so bright in that June day and even though it's hot, the girl didn't mind it at all.

"I should have come earlier", she said regretably. A thick crowd of people had lined up the street.
"Your highness", Irene, her court lady and just a year older than her touched her arms.
Jessica quieted her down.
"You can't call me that name here", Jessica said softly and looked around to check if someone heard them. She straighten her bandana to made sure she's hidden and looked around for an elevated spot.

Just a few feet from her and behind the crowd is a carriage.
"Wait here", Jessica told Irene.
Jessica walks towards the carriage and looked up at the carriage roof.
This is a good spot!, she exclaimed to herself and climb the carriage to the rooftop.
Irene gasped in horror to see the princess sitting on the roof of the carriage.

I will be punished for this, Irene surrendered. Jessica, a thirteen-year old young princess, is too much for her age. She escaped the palace to roam around the town and today, to see the parade. When Irene caught her, she coax her into coming with her.

Jessica is smiling widely. From where she's seated she can see what's happening in the street. There's some dancing going on and she can see him. He was a sunbae in the school for royalties. She only got to know him for a year and then he moved to military force.

"Oppa", she sighed dreamily. There are men in uniforms, ten of these young men are being presented to the public as new Captain Generals. These are young men who trained in the military for two years and had lead an army in the war against outside forces. 

"Captain General Tyler", Jessica said softly while watching him bow to the public. She had always seen him before during royal gatherings and celebration as he is a son of one of the nobles in Seoul's court of Nobles. And when he was her sunbae at school, he had treated her well like a younger sister and taught her well in history and politics.

"Tyler oppa", Jessica has a huge admiration for him. He is intellectual and kind. He has passion in serving the people and she likes that the most, a quality she sees in her father. 

The parade continue to it's next stop and the crowd dispersed. The movement of the people around caused disturbance to the horse that's infront of the carriage ad the horse neighed and moves back and forth violently in it's place. The carriage rocked and swayed and Jessica holds on to the edge of the roof. 

"Jessica!", Irene shouted in shock as she sees Jessica is holding on while the carriage is almost jumping in it's place. Irene covered her eyes, for she couldn't dare to see the princess falling down and she's responsible for her. 

I'm going to be killed if anything happens to the princess, she is shaking on her toes.

The horse jumped and the carriage flew in the air. Jessica lost her hold as she screamed with her dolphin scream. Her body is falling freely into thin air.

 She closed her eyes and readied herself to hit the hard ground.

"Got yah!", Jessica feels the arms holding her and heard the voice of a guy. 

I didn't hit the ground, she said to herself and opens her eyes. She squint her eyes to see the face of the guy who caught her, but the sun is casting a shadow on his face. It took a few seconds for Jessica to remove herself from his arms and stand on her feet.

A guy just touched me, a princess!, hot flushes on her face with mixed feelings of shyness, gratefulness and revolt.

Irene immediately goes to Jessica.

"Are you alright?", she checks the young princess. Jessica looks at the guy.

"The apple", he sighs and bends down to pick up the apple that fell.

His voice sounds familiar, Jessica thought to herself.

The guy stood up from picking the apple from the ground and he wipes it with his shirt and took a bite.

"It's a waste not to eat it", he said. Jessica is wide-eyed to recognize who the guy is.

"Why are you here outside Princess Jessica?", Donghae asked while taking a second bite from the apple.