Morning Star

Summer Solstice

The kiss ended.

Donghae touched Jessica's face and stares at her.

Jessica smiles and Donghae smiles back sweetly at her.  

He pulls her to him and hugs her tight.

"Pogo shipeo (I miss you)", he said. 

"Na do", Jessica replied and hugs him back.

 

They sat together by the fountain in the middle of the garden. 

"When I was unconscious for days, I keep seeing your face", Donghae said and looks at her.

"I keep hearing your voice", he said.

"I see you smile and laugh and cry".

"I was scared that I might not see you again", he added.

Donghae takes Jessica's hand and brings it to his lips.

"But you're back now", Jessica touched Donghae's face tenderly. 

"Yes, I'm back", Donghae smiles.

 

Everything is in darkness, then Jessica appears in his unconscious state. She is so bright and glowing.

"Oppa", she calls to him and smiles.

"Wake up please", she said.

"I know you will. I will be waiting", she said as her image goes farther away.

"Jessica", Donghae calls out. He blinks his eyes and squint his eyes. The light is hurting his eyes.

"How do you feel?", a man asked him. Donghae opens his eyes to adjust to the light.

"I am the royal physician. What are you feeling, Your Majesty", he asked. 

Donghae looks around but he didn't see her.

The doctor explained what happened to him. Yesterday, he had been waking in and out of consciousness and finally, he fully is conscious.

He remembers going to the forest even though it's freezing cold.

"Eomma!", he cried his heart out. The loss of someone you love so dearly, the person who cared for you your whole life. The mother who carried you in her womb for nine months and goes throguh the pain of giving birth to bore you out of this world. The woman who nurtures you and feed you with her own milk, who carried you in her arms until you fall asleep. The one who had always been by your side. And now, she's gone.

Donghae breaks down and cried. Suddenly, his head is spinning. He was burning with fever since the day before that. His knees gave in and he lost consciousness.

He remembers Jessica finding him at the forest. 

"Donghaeyah!", he hears her voice. Then he feels her warm hands on his face.

He opens his eyes and saw her, a very beautiful angel. 

"Sica", he said. His lips are shaking and also his body. He feels numb from the cold.

"Donghae. Stay with me, okay", Jessica looks so worried.

He tried to keep himself awake, but he is in his worst condition. He completely loses consciouness.

 

After he woke up and regained his strength, he visited his mother's grave and had been with the King's side. For months, King Lenard tried to govern their country, but the death of his wife gives him so much sadness. He decided to pass the crown to his son.

After a month of being officially crowned as King of Mokpo and had been given the invitation to Seoul, King Donghae immediately sent a reply.

He has but one agenda in his mind: Jessica.

 

The evening celebration ended. Queen Jessica gave her speech and then fireworks lit up the sky.

 

Princess Krystal greeted them and walks ahead into Jessica's room.

King Donghae held out his hand and Queen Jessica smiles and accepted. He walks her to her room. 

Palace guards line the hall and gave their salute to the Queen. 

The King and Queen stopped at the front door.

"Sleep well", Donghae said. All the guards are looking at them.

Jessica looks at Kangin, the head of the Queen's security.

"About face!", Kangin ordered his men.

Jessica smiles at Donghae.

"You too", she replied.

"Dream of me", he whispered and winks.

Jessica suppress her laugh. Donghae leans down and gave a quick kiss on her lips.

Jessica was surprised and then she pouts.

"We'll see each other in the morning", Donghae said, and leans down to kiss her on her forehead.

She close her eyes and smiles.

 

Krystal came rushing to Jessica.

"Unnie! Tell me!", she said excitedly.

"I am so happy Soo Jungah", Jessica replied and they sat on the bed and talked.

 Krystal is all smiles and giggles while Jessica told her what Donghae had said to her. Perks of having a sister! Life is so much more fun. 

 

Donghae waited for Jessica. The King's face lit up as he saw the Queen coming out from the room. The Queen's face glows with happiness. Jessica holds Donghae's arm as they walked towards the banquet hall for breakfast together with the guests.

"How was your sleep?", Donghae asked.

"Shouldn't you asked how was my waking up?", Jessica asked back. Donghae chuckled and nods.

"I should say, it's the most beautiful morning I've ever had, knowing that I will be seeing you again", Donghae answered instead.

Jessica smiles and Donghae taps the tip of her nose.

"Boss!", he whispered.

"Aiisshh!", Jessica responded and is about to hit him on his shoulder.

"Queen", Angela called from behind. They are being followed by the courtladies and the Queen has to be mindful of her actions.

"My courtlady is now on your side", Jessica hissed as she placed her hand down.

Donghae smiles sweetly at her. Jessica sighs and takes Donghae's arm again.

"I know you can't get mad at me for long. I am that handsome", Donghae said. 

My boss Donghae oppa, Jessica smiles to herself. 

"Think what you want", Jessica replies and they both smiled at each other.

 

The guests have left that morning. Then the Queen gathered her council for a meeting while Donghae busied himself at the kitchen. He is preparing a surprise for Jessica.

 

It was almost evening when Jessica was free.

"Meet you at the garden. Wear something white", Donghae told her and then left.

What is he up to?, she asked herself and shakes her head.

 

Jessica wears a simple white gown. 

A lovely, romantic music filled the air. In the middle of the garden she sees him, waiting for her.

She also sees her sister, Krystal, her nanny Angela, Irene, Tyler, Prince Minho, Prince Donghwa and Alice, soldiers Hangeng and Kibum.

Abeoji?, Jessica sees her father-in-law, the previous King Lenard, smiling at her.

 

"My niece", Myungsoo came to her.

"Uncle?!", she asked. He is a cousin of her father and is a very dear uncle to her.

"King Donghae asked me a few days ago. I want to be here for this special day for you", Myungsoo said. 

"I don't know", Jessica is flustered.

"What is this?", she asked. 

"You can ask him", her uncle replied and looks at Donghae's direction.

"Be happy, my niece", Myungsoo said and kissed her on the cheeks.

"King Donghae is waiting", he nudge Jessica to move forward.

 

Krystal is holding a bouquet and gave to Jessica when she passed by her. Tears are b in her eyes.

"Unnie", Krystal handed the flowers and hugs her sister.

"I am so happy for you. Oppa, I mean, King Donghae prepares all of this for you", Krystal said.

"I want many many nieces and nephews", Krystal laughs but tears are streaming now on her face.

Jessica blushed and wipes her sister's tears.

King Donghae waits for Jessica.

His heart is beating so fast. As soon as he sees her enter the garden, she looks very beautiful. Her hair cascading on her face. Her shocked expression followed by her lovely smile. 

His happiness cannot be contained.

Lord Mungsoo walked Jessica down the aisle, then Krystal handed a bouquet to her. Donghae wipes the sides of his eyes, then his brother pats his arm.

"Real men cry", Donghwa said and smiled at his younger brother.

The two sisters are hugging each other and are crying and laughing.

 

Finally, Jessica is just a few feet from him. He looks at her like she's his whole world.

Nothing else matters aside from the two of them.

She stopped in front of him. Jessica smiles. Donghae looks so nervous like her.

He takes a deep breath.

"Soo Yeonah", Donghae says her name in a way no one else can. It's full of tenderness and fills her heart with warmth.

Then he takes out the hairpin, she gave him.

"I am giving this back to you, along with my heart", Donghae said.

"I want to spend my lifetime with you", he said.

"To be beside you, make you laugh and smile and your eyes shine with happiness". 

"I will be anyone you need. I'll be your oppa, your prince, your King, your bestfriend, your lover, your husband", he smiles.

"I'll be your pabo bada if you want me to", he said and Jessica laughs. 

"The father of your children", he added, and she smiles.

"Will you", he looks into her eyes.

"Marry me again?", Donghae extends his hand and waits for her reply.

Jessica takes his hand.

"I will!", Jessica exclaimed.

"I'll be your boss", Jessica laughs.

"Your bestfriend, your Queen", she smiled.

"Your wife and lover", she said and Donghae kissed her hand.

"I will be the mother of your children", she said.

"Yes. We have our lifetime to be with each other", she said.

"Saranghae, Soo Yeonah", Donghae said. Jessica's heart jumps hearing him with those words.

"I love you too", she replied.

"I love you very much!", Donghae said and leans down to kiss her.

"Excuse", the priest coughs. 

 

The renewal of vow started as the King and Queen say their vow to each other with their loved ones as witnesses of their love.

Everyone cheered and are so happy for the couple. The love in the couple's eye is as clear as the sun shining in the east. The look in their face when they see each other. The glow in them when they are together. 

King Donghae and Queen Jessica renewed their marriage vow. This time, with love to make it right. 

With their loved ones to share the celebration of their love, the couple couldn't be any happier. To have each other and their loved ones supporting and are there for them, is just the best way to start their life together.

 

The royal couple entered their chamber. Jessica had changed to the red gown Donghae had given her.

Candles lit up the way to the middle of the room and there, a table is prepared.

"Tell me you didn't cook all of this?", Jessica asked. 

Donghae just smiles and pulled a chair for Jessica.

After they ate, Donghae plays a song in the piano.

"Love~ Oh baby my girl", he sings as Jessica stands by him. Tears fall her eyes. 

You're my everything, your beauty blinds me

My bride, my present from the heavens above
Are you happy? There's tears flowing from your eyes

Until the day your black hair turns grey
I promise to love you forever

I want to tell you every single day that "I love you"
Would you marry me?
I want to live loving you and cherishing you

I want to put you to sleep in my arms every night
Would you marry me?
Will you give my heart this permission?

I'll stay next to you for the rest of my life 
I love you 

Through rain and snow I'll cherish you 
I'll take care of you

You in a white dress, me in a tuxedo
We walk step in step underneath the moon

Even though we'll age, I want to live each day smiling
Would you marry me?
Will you be my everything?

Through hardships and troubles
I'll always be there

All the many days we'll spend together

I'm going to be thankful each and every day (My Love)

I prepared this for you since long ago
Please take this shiny ring in my hand

I'll remember this promise we shared with the same heart
Would you marry me?

All I have to give you is my love

That's all I've got to offer*

 

Donghae finished the song.

Jessica wraps her arms around him and sobs.

"I love you", Jessica said.

"I love you too", Donghae replied and kissed her hair. 

It's the beautiful start of a beautiful love.

They looked at each other and Donghae kissed her in the forehead. 

"Always and everyday", Donghae said.

"Through our lifetime", Jessica added. They smiled at each other. 

Donghae leans down and kissed her.

 

Jessica opens the balcony. It's still dark outside.

Donghae came to her and hugs her from behind.

"Soo Yeon Jung Lee", Donghae said and rest his face on her shoulder.

"Morning star", Jessica said and points to the sky. The brightest star just before the sun rises.

Jessica leans against Donghae's chest.

"The morning star and the sun. Me and you", Donghae said.

 

A lifetime with each other. The beginning of their journey together in life. Love conquers all.