The Past...

There's more to it than just Hard Work

Past: 7 years ago. 

"Ready To sing?"

It was my schools talent show where every student performs their music abilities. The biggest showcase of the year, where representatives from talent agency's would come from all over. Everyone was running everywhere backstage getting ready to go on. I was a 10 year old getting her hair done and having all the attention on her looks. 

"You look perfect honey!" my mom squealed. 

I simply nodded and looked at myself in the mirror. My hair was curled and I was wearing blush and pink shine lipgloss. I was the mirror image of a doll. 

"Min your on 3" my best friend  shouted. Hyunseung was a childhood friend of mine. We went to school together and we were both enrolled as majors in Singing and Dancing. 

Oh no...I thought. This was the biggest night. Today was the day I would show my talent to the school. 

"I'm scared!" My eyes started getting watery

"Min you can do this! I believe in you!"

Hyunseung shouted at me. I can do this. Looking at myself making sure everything was perfect, I fixed a piece of my hair, nodded and  I smiled at myself and gave Hyunseung a hug. "Thank you.."I whispered to him. I left to the right side of the stage. 

When my teacher gave me the cue I walked on the stage wearing a short red and white dress. The top part was red with dazzling jewels and the bottom part was white and puffy. With red flats.I looked like a ballerina. Holding the mic in my hands, I looked out at the audience. I could have sworn there was over 300 people. The piano started playing. Taking in a deep breath, closed my eyes and started to sing. Singing made me feel great, making everything around me disappear. When I finished the song everyone clapped. I smiled as bright as I could and bowed. Said my thank you and left running toward the side of the stage where my mother and Hyunseung where. 

I ran into Hyunseung arms. Tears running down my cheeks

"I did it! I did it! " 

"I told you Min!" 

Hyunseung was always there for me when we were young. He was my neighbor for as long as I could remember. I met him through my parents, who were friends with his. We would go over each others homes and play for hours. But around this time,his parents have been fighting consistently...

"I'm sad that was the last time I would hear you sing..."

I let go and looked up at him. 

"Why do you say that?..."

"I'm moving to Korea with my mom. My parents are getting a divorce."

I couldn't keep it in. I started crying as hard as I could. 

"dont leave don't leave..." my words kept repeating " I'm sorry..."

"Hyunseung since this is the last time you heard me sing I'll make it the last time I sing as well. That way I can keep my memory of today." giving him a tight hug. 

[When she was younger Hyunseung would ask her to sing for him, it was him who had encouraged her to pursue her talent. She was a shy child, she loved singing but only when she was alone. One day Hyunseung heard her singing inside in her backyard. She was watering the plants when suddenly, He came from behind her, and told her she had the most beautiful voice. From then and on she only sang infront of him, they even sang together. Then one day he told Min to come try out for a music school. She agreed only because he was going too. For their audition they sang a duet together. They were both accepted in to the school. ]

"Don't do that, please. It's your dream to become a singer. Promise me that you'll follow your dream"

"But Hyunseung..."

"Please Min, One day we will meet again, on the stage...."

Hyunseung stayed in school for the following week but left shorty leaving me alone.That was the last time I've seen him. Since then i haven't sung my heart out, basically giving up on my dream. I use to think that singing would make dreams come true and bring everyone together. After that it wasn't the same.  2 years later I moved to Korea with my family. My mother wanted me to enroll in a music school again but I simply denied.