the girl and her sword, aza

The Reprisal of Sleeping Beauty

 

I hope karma slaps you in the face before I do.

 the girl and her sword, Aza 
chapter i

A cool breeze blew past the meadows and over the field of beautiful red flowers, rustling whatever was in its way gently. The wind smelt of freshly brewed rose tea and it arose the sense of smell from the girl resting in the middle of Azaleas. She peeked an eye open grouchily as someone called for her. 

 

“Yeon Young-ah, its time for your shift! Quickly come drink this, and freshen up yourself for work!” An elderly, stern voice croaked out. The elder stood akimbo and tapped her fingers impatiently against her forearm, a glare in place of her once serene expression. “Don’t make me go over there,” She warned with brewing hostility and Yeon Young groaned as she forced herself to sit up.

 

Elder Oh really just had to be born an overbearing old hag, huh? I didn’t even get to sleep my fill yet.

 

Soon, Yeon Young made her way out of the field and Elder Oh just sighed at her once she was close enough. “Child, what do I do with you? You must think living is a chore, huh?”

 

She nodded her head absentmindedly as she relinquished in the refreshing rose flavour. It was neither here nor there, the sweet taste sometimes accompanied by bitterness, and she compared it to her everyday life. She didn’t like roses, and this was one of the strange reasons she came up with. After all, it is human nature to exaggerate what they like or dislike.

 

“Done?” Elder Oh took the cup back, noticing the few rose petals floating at the bottom of the porcelain ware. She clicked her tongue at Yeon Young in annoyance and the girl pretended she didn’t hear anything. “I told you that rose petals should be eaten, didn’t I? Don’t waste-”

 

Before she could nag any further, Yeon Young smiled at the elder, and skipped as far away with a speed people didn’t associate ‘lazy Yeon Young’ with. Without any goodbyes, Yeon Young made her way to the village’s borders.

 

She drew a sharp breath in as she neared the man-made line that separated her village and the other domineering one. Yeon Young had an unusual sixth sense, and today, it was tingling so much that it was giving her a headache. Must be those fools from Solaris Forest, argh, just thinking about them gives me the shivers. She rubbed her arms as goose bumps travelled everywhere and her face contorted into a constipated wince.

 

However, upon nearer inspection, it seemed like nothing was wrong at all. Was I being too paranoid? Yeon Young cocked her head to the side as her eyebrows furrowed. Oh well, I don’t particularly care, makes my job easier anyways-

 

Something suddenly shot out of the tranquil forest and immediately, Yeon Young ducked down out of reflex. Her hands instantly found its place by the sword’s grip and she pulled it out, cutting the next arrow in half with one swift movement. Yeon Young her lips in anticipation as her eyes darted around, sifting out her enemies’ location.

 

She swiftly turned around as an annoying and familiar accent rang through her right ear, giving him the irritated glare that he was looking for. The teen, adorned with ear piercings, grinned at her menacingly as he held Yeon Young closer to his body, inhaling her scent.

 

“Tinkerbell, you called?”

 

No, you son of a , stop sniffing me and get off!” She swung her sword at him without a second thought and he immediately jumped back with ease.

 

“Does it hurt that you swing your weapon at me every time we meet? It sure does hurts me.” He fake-pouted and received a small cut at the side of his cheek, courtesy of Yeon Young’s favourite blade. His face darkened and he locked down her gaze with piercing eyes, “Huh? Aren’t you improving by the day, Tinkerbell? You managed to get a hit in.”

 

Yeon Young gritted her teeth, not at all amused by his speech. He was just mocking her wasn’t he? After all, he was Park Seungjun, the best swordsman of Solaris Village, the attractive playboy that never fails to be in the rumours she hears from her village’s ladies everyday, the jack-of-all-trades. Perfect Seungjun. Yeon Young didn’t like being looked down upon, and so, she tightened her grip on the sword and took another angry slash at the boy.

 

You got to try better than that, Tinkerbe-” His smirk fell as someone collided into his back and his face got into the sword’s range of attack. Yeon Young snickered as she pointed the tip of her sword at his nose, “You were saying?”

 

Is this a bad timing?” Seungjun closed his eyes and willed himself not to punch the guy sitting beside him. “You think?”

 

“I think it was perfect, Inseong.” Yeon Young shot him a casual smile, but then again, she looked so much like a fairy Inseong just blushed. “N-No problem, Tinkerbell.”

 

“Say your goodbyes, Park Seungjun.” Without warning, she took a slash at him with her sword. Unfortunately, Inseong rolled him out of the way and screamed in the process, alerting the other guys of the gang. , more trouble. Should I run? That’s not even a question, Yeon Young, you should. As soon as the logical and the part-that-didn’t give-two-s spoke up in her brain, she dashed towards her own village’s direction. Safety of her village be damned, she was going to die!

 

"Tinkerbell, good afternoon!” Jihun grinned at her as he jogged beside her with relative ease as she struggled to run as fast as her legs could take her. Damn their long legs. Soon enough, the gang, known as KNK, surrounded her like a pack of wolfs to a lost bunny. Too bad, she was a tiger in disguise, not that she was willing to rip the mask off now.

 

“Good afternoon to you too, Jihun.”

 

“So you heard me, I was beginning to think you couldn’t,” He said cheerfully, although a dangerous glint surfaced. Yeon Young returned the fake smile as she sheathed her sword. “Of course I could. What do I owe the pleasure of your attention to?”

 

“No! Its more like your presence has gifted us!” Inseong said shyly as the adoration he had for the female warrior poured out. “I’m glad, but I have a duty to fulfill, so I will be on my way.” Yeon Young graced them with another insincere smile and made her way out of their circle. Jerks. Her back was facing them and she rolled her eyes upwards and stuck her tongue out as a form of childish revenge.

 

It seemed karma always at the worst timings. A slight wind blew past Yeon Young as if to comfort her in its coolness.

 

“I’ll help you with your duties.”

 

Screw you, Inseong. I like you the most out of your little crew, but you are not helping me.

 

“No thanks. I can handle it well myself.”

 

“I insist!”

 

“…”

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
I'm so excited to be starting this story right now! Embark on this adventure with me. Hope you enjoyed the chapter! Bare with me as the start is pretty boring as I'm introducing characters.


 

◯ darkmoon