일주일

A New Anthology

how Jisoo go through one week following her breakup with Joohyun.

jisoo x irene | 2124 words | angsty comedy?? i dunno lol

by bbombomi

inspired by After School's song, 'Week' =]


monday - we broke up today

          Jisoo and Joohyun ended their relationship on a beautiful monday evening. When the sky was bright, with millions of star spreaded across it, unknowing to the fact that somewhere on earth two hearts are breaking into pieces.

          It was for collective good; Jiyeon would need no more to wake up in the wee hours startled from sudden bangs on her door because Jisoo tended to forget her way back home when she had fight with her girlfriend, Seungwan wouldn't have to listen to Joohyun's ing all the time about how messed up the relationship was. Their neighbours would never complain anymore about the noise of them cursing at each other. And they themselves would be spared from another bucket of unnecessary tears.

          They decided Jisoo could keep the flat, it was hers after all even before they hooked up. And Joohyun, who happened to have no permanent job at that moment, chose to retreat back to her hometown for a while.

          This was the best decision they'd ever made together. Or so Jisoo thought. Someone as good as Joohyun would be better off without her.

*****

tuesday - one day feels like one year

          Sales Team 2 where Jisoo belonged had been on fire, breaking the company's all time high record with each of their salesmen consistently performs at 90% of quota or more for the past few months. Rumor has it, the board of directors were very pleased with the team's work, which means big promotion might come along very soon to some of them. Just what Jisoo needs. This isn't the thing she'd dreamed before, isn't the Twenty Years Later Seo Jisoo she'd drawn haphazardly with a set of Crayola as a first grader, but this is the only thing she apparently can do to put food on the table after breakthrough as an artist had never came for her. And now, if everything goes accordingly to her plan, she would achieve better career, it would make her too busy to think about love life. Voilà.

          Except, today isn't going accordingly as she'd thought.

          She's in the middle of important meeting with the higher-ups today, and Soojung, their team leader is doing a presentation. Yet all Jisoo can listen are like: we will provide our sales staffs with database blah blah blah.... *static buzz* developing new methods to reach out to our rural customers blah blah blah... *static buzz* our Seo Jisoo here has prepared us a Power Point blah blah blah... *static buzz*

          "Jisoo-ssi?"

          Jisoo's head snaps towards the front of the room, where Lee Soojung is standing with deep frown directed at her. Uh oh...

          "Yes?"

          "The Power Point?"

          "Oh— Yeah, the Power Point. Okay. Um." Jisoo gets up, hastily typing something on her laptop. "I'll just— i—"

          —don't know what presentation were they discussing about.

          . , , shiiitttt.

          "Um, Soojung-ssi, i'm sorry but i.... think... i'm not quite following..."

          "You know what, you can sit down, maybe drink your water." Before Jisoo knew it, the other woman has stridden towards her, curt smile that could send a tiger trembling stretches across her lips. "I'll handle this myself."

          The team leader snatches the laptop away and goes back to the front, continuing her impeccable speech. Even her silent indifference towards Jisoo manages to sound super condemning.

          After few minutes, Jisoo hesitantly takes a small glance at Soojung.

          Soojung gives back a look that pretty much mean: My room. After this meeting. Serious talk.

          Oh boy is this going to be a long day...

*****

wednesday - you're not calling

          "Staring at that phone wouldn't get your stomach full."

          Myungeun looks slightly offended. Maybe because she was the one who made the omelette now growing cold in front Jisoo, plus a customer ignoring their food isn't the kind of sight that would help creating good image for her newly opened restaurant.

          Jisoo clears , struggling to sound eloquate as she replies, "I'm not waiting for Joohyun to call."

          "Neither i'm saying anything about Joohyun."

          Damn it.

*****

thursday - i'm getting nervous

          By the time she clocked off work, Jisoo was very, very tired for a reason she couldn't fathom herself. Soojung has been basically stonewalled her after she screwed up last time, and today she dealed with exactly two customers. They were hardly demanding at all.

          Going home to an empty house is depressing, to say the least.

          She heard that getting over a breakup would take equivalent to half the time spent on the relationship itself. Jisoo begins counting. Today is......

          Day three without Joohyun.

          One of the corners of Jisoo's mouth tips up in crooked smile. Still got 545 days to go before she could stop the black and white daydream of their happier days and find peace of mind. Now that's a long road, huh?

          They had pretty good start, Jisoo starts to reminisce.

          Seulgi introduced them, and it was Joohyun who managed to get Jisoo so whipped at first. Then soon they were a cute campus couple; movie dates, handmade lunches, weekend sleepovers. The two had not so many things in common between them, but they somehow always worked it out. Jisoo was sure Joohyun was the one. So on their graduation ceremony, she took the leap, and presented Joohyun the key to her home. The same home where she's residing now, struggling to breathe in the Joohyun-less air.

          Funny living together could make two people grow apart instead of closer. There were many things, too many things that had changed; dates turned into broken promises, surprise dinner became Jisoo never came home from work before nine and Joohyun stopped waiting for her, small fight and make up in the drop of a hat became constant war.

          Then finally, daily 'i love you' they exchanged every morning became do you still love me?

          Right now, she remembered how she'd answered that question - Joohyun's final question, and ended their relationship three days ago.

          Right now, she wondered.

          Where had that Jisoo from three years ago who wanted nothing but to make Joohyun happy gone?

*****

friday - i love you, i love you. come back to me.

          Jisoo knew the only reason Jiyeon forbid her from touching anything with alcohol percentage more than 4% was because the girl was still holding a grudge against her - how could she not though, Jisoo threw up all over her at four fifteen in the morning one time. So she didn't listen to Jiyeon's nagging, and did listen to her '94 squad to drink on.

*****

          "I'M THE BEST! WHOOOHOOOO!"

          2NE1's I Am The Best is entering its outro. On Jisoo's left are Jackson, Mijoo, Youngji, and Sehun, each in different degree of inebriated state.

          So here's the tradition of '94 squad by the end of every Friday night: Five wasted ducks would line up, and Mommy Seulgi would haul them out of the club.

          "Yes, yes, you are the drunkest tonight." Seulgi says, gently tugged at Jisoo's arm. "We gotta go now."

          "One more shot, mama."

          "That wouldn't be advisable given the time and situation now. C'mon, Seo Jisoo, playtime's over. Back to your crib."

          Seulgi drops Jisoo off at the flat's front door and let her crawls by herself, literally, into her flat. Not because Seulgi is a bad friend, but she still got another three big babies to deliver home and the clock wouldn't fly slower. It's almost three AM.

          Jisoo safely made her way through the dark hall, fumbling with a set of keys for two minutes before she realized her bedroom wasn't locked at all. Drink lots of water and take an Advil before sleep, imaginary-Joohyun reminds her from the back of her mind. Geez. Why the Joohyun still alive inside there?

          "Now where's the ing Advil?" Jisoo asks to thin air. She totters to the dresser and begin to pull out every drawer on it. Joohyun had left everything so inhumanely neat and super organized it almost irritates Jisoo.

          First, second, third drawer, still no medical box. Frustrated, Jisoo punches the piece of furniture and involuntarily causes the topmost drawer to glide out of its rail. She shouts out string of curses, instinctively hopping one big step backwards just in time before the wooden box ever crush her feet.

          "Oh maaannn i'm going to get into twoble.... Wobble? Troble?"

          Wait. No. Joohyun isn't here anymore. No one's gonna scold her for breaking some stupid chest. She can mess the whole apartment as she please.

          Jisoo squats down, chuckling at herself like a maniac while collecting everything from the floor; there are small jewelries and accessories, old sketch books, her collection of drawing pencils in every colour imaginable, the first polaroid camera she ever bought, then—

          then picture of her and Joohyun.

          This one is the only Joohyun didn't bring with her when she left. This one was taken on the first day Joohyun moved in, two peace signs and wide smiles as they just successfully assembly the newly bought double sized bed - not that wide for two people to sleep on, but that was the only they could afford back then, and oh dear Lord... Even when drenched in sweat Joohyun still looked as breathtaking as ever.

          Jisoo's little laughter fades at once. She peers closely at the picture, her mind keeps convincing herself that everything's over, these perfect, incandescently happy pair in the photograph have long gone; the Seo Jisoo who's in love with Bae Joohyun has absolutely gone.

          Has it?

          Jisoo can hear the exact question inside her head, so deafening, but she's fairly insistent that her answer is still the same as last Monday.

          "Yes i don't— i don't need you anymore."

          With every might left in her she picks the piece of paper from the floor - the only remembrance of their happier days - and tries to tear it into half. But in that very moment, somehow, her hand slips, the edge of the paper sharply cut through the skin of Jisoo's fingertip.

          She should probably continue in her quest of finding the damned medical box, now that she needs not only few of pain relief for headaches but also a band-aid. Instead, for a while all Jisoo does is just frowning at the trickling blood.

          Then she cries.

          And no, it isn't because her finger hurts so bad. She cries because it's now clear to her that the bleeding finger mirrors her destroyed heart.

          Her heart which is still screaming it belongs to Joohyun, no matter how hard Jisoo had tried to muffle its voice.

          This time, she takes the hint - she grabs her phone, pressing that one number which is still in her speed dials, waiting for what's probably the most nerve-wracking ten seconds of her life.

          Hello. You've reached Bae Joohyun's voicemail. Unfortunately, i cannot take your call right now, but i would like to return it as soon as i can, so don't hesitate to leave me a message after the beep.

          Ugh.

          "Hi. Bae. Joo. Hyun." Jisoo slurs. Pitch of her voice goes up and down.

          "Why do small papercut hurts more than anything else?"

          . What was she talking about, she didn't know. By the time Joohyun listens to this voicemail the woman probably would think she's gone mad.

          "Forget it. The thing i want to say... The thing is, Joohyun-ah, i miss you."

          She lets herself fall to the bed, tightly hugging Joohyun's oversized pillow with one free hand.

          "I miss... Every little thing about you."

          Jisoo holds out her fingers and starts counting.

          "Morning kiss. Back hug. Our making out playlist. Tiny reminder notes of what we should get from supermarket. Your scrunched nose whenever you pick me up after boxing session. Perfectly made scrambled egg. Flower-scented softener on my sweater."

          With each word, it becomes harder to suppress her sniffling voice. So she lets loose.

          "I'm sorry. Everything bad that has happened between us, it was on me. I a colossal idiot." By now Joohyun's pillow is wet with tears and snots she would totally kill Jisoo if the woman ever find out. But Jisoo doesn't care, she's already lifeless now anyway, she cannot die again, can she? "And this idiot... She loves you so much. Can't live without you—"

          "Please come home soon, okay?"

          Click.

*****

          The sun barely rises when a car is pulled into the gas station a little outside Daegu's city center. Bae Joohyun steps out and greets an ahjussi manning the fuel dispenser.

          "Full tank, please."

          The guy nods dutifully.

          "How long do you think it will take to drive to Seoul?" Joohyun asks.

          "Mm. Around two and half, three hours, tops. Depends on your driving skills." He tilts his head, thinking. "It's Saturday so the road wouldn't be too congested, i guess."

          "You're in hurry, ma'am?"

          "Kind of." She smiles, handing some cash to the guy then sliding back into her car. "I miss home."

 


 

thank uuuu so much to everyone who reads and leaves comment/upvote i feel soooo loved :'>