Overly Sugary Love

A New Anthology

* Otto Angeli means Eight Angels
* sous chef is second-in-command in the kitchen, a ranking just below the executive chef

———————

"Soojung unnie."

"What?" The woman in question doesn't pause from her activity of cutting meat into an inch chunks. Nothing can stop Lee Soojung once she gets an inspiration, not even when her work shift had actually ended half an hour ago.

It's usually unperturbed inside the kitchen of Trattoria Otto Angeli after they closed down for the night, with only few rustling sound of tired crews cleaning up their respective post here and there. But tonight, in the moment that supposed to be peaceful, a sous, a line cook, and two kitchen assistants somehow hear thunder strikes when Mijoo opens again.

"I think my eyes had gone bad... I can't see anyone else but you."

Soojung chokes on her own breath, knife falling onto wooden chopping board.

"Gosh she's going to be sliced and become part of Soojung unnie's experimental fusilli.." Myungeun whispers to Sujeong, then winces at her own imagination.

"You should go see optometrist, unnie." The only one who doesn't get the meaning, Yein throws concerned look instead.

"No. She should get mental treatment." Soojung hisses. When they see her retrieving her knife with look that somewhat says there will be homicide, Myungeun and Sujeong quickly grab their two colleagues and excuse themselves home.

———————

It's been known by all staffs that one of the pâtissier trainee who started working in the restaurant almost half a year ago is madly in love with their sous chef. And it's also general knowledge that the said kitchen's second-in-command doesn't like cheesy acts in any kind of form. She loathes them. Thus why would Mijoo resort to such explicit, shameless flirting strategy to woo Soojung's heart - also where does she get all those horrible pick-up lines from, are uncanny to everyone.

"Unnie~" Mijoo cheerfully saunters towards Soojung and Jisoo, whose attention seem to be engrossed only in their phones. As always, all the crews get to catch their breath for awhile after lunch time is over before their kitchen goes back to its frenzy state for the whole evening. "Do you smell something burning?"

"What?! Where? What's burning?" Soojung immediately puts the gadget down and looks around in panic. Stacks of yellow and green and blue blocks piling up on the screen as she didn't even pause Magic Cat Story she's been playing with Jisoo.

"My heart.." Suddenly, Mijoo grabs Soojung's hand and placed it in front of her chest. The sous only stares back, momentarily stunned at the gesture. "It's burning because of you."

"... If you're not back to your dessert counter now, I will really grill you alive!"

———————

One thing that'd made Mijoo agreed right away when Kei offered to live with her and Jisoo beside obvious cheaper rent price, was because their unit is only a floor away from Soojung's - more reason to walk her home after work.

"Thanks for taking me here.. You actually didn't need to wait until I finished though." Soojung smiles. Her expression softens a bit now that they are alone, without dozen pairs of their colleagues' eyes staring teasingly at them. "See you tomorrow."  

"Oh wait. Do you have map?" A hand in her shoulder stops Soojung from walking into her place.

"Don't be silly. You just need to walk straight, turn left, then you'll find the elevator that will take you to the next floor.." Soojung tells bluntly.

"No, no! It's just that, I think I've been lost inside your heart.."

For a split seconds it looks like Soojung is about to say something else, but at last she settles with just Good night, you crazy! then slams the door shut.

———————

"Go away." By now, Soojung had developed some internal alarm that goes off as soon as Mijoo is within close distance.

"But I haven't said anything!" Mijoo protests, sticking out her lower lip in a sad manner.

"Whatever is that, the answer will always be no." Soojung retorts, as always doesn't spare even a single attention for Mijoo.

"So if I'm actually about to ask you out on a date you'd refuse even before you know the details of what I've planned?" The taller girl whines.

"Yeah, no." It's a firm answer, followed by firm glare. "Look. If you have time to lounging around here all day, wouldn't it be better to work on new menu ideas? Your exam's coming up in less than two weeks!"

Their executive chef, Jiae, isn't the strict, killer type of boss, but it definitely takes some refined skills to work in her kitchen. Every trainee who wants to be promoted into fixed-term employee must pass an evaluation exam - creating new menu that would fit for the current season.

"But that day..."

"Stop this already and stay away from me! You're annoying, you know?!" The whole kitchen fall into stupor after the harsh yell. And though it hurts to see Mijoo's hurted expression as she leaves, Soojung still tries her best to keep the mask of cold and indifference in her face.

———————

They had closed early today for the employees evaluation exam purpose. Beside the trainees and higher-ups of the restaurant who participated as judge, most staffs had gone home long time ago. That's why it startles her a bit when Mijoo finds Soojung is still sitting alone on one of their table, in the middle of dimly lit dining hall.

"Here.." In Mijoo's hand is green tea panna cotta - popular Italian chilled dessert made of cream thickened by gelatin then molded - the one that just succesfully elevated her status into permanent employee. "It's just some leftover.. You can throw it away if you don't want." The dessert wobbles beautifully as she puts down the plate in front of Soojung, who then gazes up to her with unreadable expression.

"Okay, no, I lied. Please try it." Mijoo huffs in defeat. "I actually made an extra portion for you, because it's your birthday. Thought I'd ask someone to deliver this anonymously to your home but you're still here.."

"I know. I've been waiting for this."

"... You know? And waiting for.. This?" Mijoo parrots, not comprehending, and Soojung just shrugs.

"I heard when you were talking with Kei about the date, and making something special for my birthday.. Not that I tried to eavesdrop or anything, but you shouted your plan out loud as if pastry kitchen is miles away from my kitchen so..."  

"So you knew how serious I was, yet you still rejected me like that? You big meanie.." The now official pâtissier complains, crossing her arms and making a face at Soojung.

"That's because I want you to concentrate and pass the exam, you stupid." Soojung carefully brings a spoonful of the white-green dessert into and takes a bite, nodding to show an approval for its taste. "Mm. It's good! This will become most popular dessert for this summer, I'm sure."

"If you failed today your contract wouldn't get renewed, it's gonna be such a waste! We still have many chances to celebrate birthdays, christmases, anniversaries, anything, together in the upcoming years. For a long time, I hope.." She chuckles in amusement when Mijoo literally can only gape, looking like having difficulties to process the explanation. So Soojung supplies simpler words.

"I love you too."

"..."

"Shall we go out?" Soojung momentarily glances at the other girl, before once again looks away shyly. And finally it's clear to Mijoo that this is real, this isn't mushy daydream she used to have while slacking off at work, Lee Soojung just said four words she'd been wanted to hear for months, and right now a response is due.

"Oh my god... I mean yes! Yes, of course!" She nods fervently, red hue rises in her cheeks.

"I promise our lives will be as sweet as this panna cotta!" Of course, that promise gets her a whack directly on head. "Ouch! Aren't we supposed to kiss now why did you hit me?!"

"Quit being cheesy!" Soojung chides. But then she reaches out, winding her arms around the younger's shoulders. "And kiss me."

They start slowly with Mijoo's lips just pressed meekly against Soojung's. Until those small hands go up seizing her face, pulling her closer, and Mijoo takes it as prompt to deepen the kiss. So she tilts her head more for better angle, their hearts beat even faster, and...

"Uhm. As much as I don't want to interrupt..." They hastily break apart when the sound of Jiae's clearing throat is heard. "I have to give you your new uniform, Mijoo-ssi. Wear this starting from tomorrow!"

There's proud evident in Soojung's eyes while Mijoo receives the article of clothes from Jiae, she can't restraint herself from grinning brightly. "Congratulations! I’m happy for you!"

"Thanks!” She smiles, taking Soojung’s hand into hers. “It's funny, eh? Today's your birthday but I'm the one getting congratulations.."

"Yah.." Jiae sighs at the pair completely immersed in their own world. "Look at these two cheeseballs shooting heart eyes to each other! Just one minute and they've forgotten I'm still here!"

"What?! I'm not cheeseball!" Once again Soojung leaps off her girlfriend in surprise.

"Well, she's right. You are!" Mijoo says frankly, siding with Jiae. "I always knew it that you just played hard to get but actually a softie at heart!"

"I.. I'm not!"

"Yeah, yeah, enough.. We're going to close now, so if you still want to argue please do it elsewhere!" Their boss cuts in impatiently, leading her subordinates to the direction of restaurant’s door. “And remember this! I don't mind romantic relationship between co-workers here, just keep your hands off each other during work hours, understand?!"

"Aye, aye, captain!" They bid goodbye, and Jiae only shakes her head. From the look on Mijoo's eyes it's pretty clear that she's very likely to defy those rules.

———————

There’s no way I don’t write Souljoo during their birthdays ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Thanks for taking time to read, comments will be much appreciated :)